• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things you want to see done in Pokemon Gen 8 (2019)

I am intelligent enough to figure out the INTENTION behind a post, that is intentionally misrepresenting my words. :)

Last edited:
First things first, not all players who battle online are competitive players, secondly, sprites don't have to be updated since they are not 3D models and I don't see Game Freak modeling items, there's a reason why it didn't happen, because it would be largely a waste of time to model something that's not going to appear on a Pokemon anyway.

First things first, not all players who battle online are competitive players, secondly, sprites don't have to be updated since they are not 3D models and I don't see Game Freak modeling items, there's a reason why it didn't happen, because it would be largely a waste of time to model something that's not going to appear on a Pokemon anyway.
Maybe add a shiny sprite?

There's a real difference between the amount of Pokémon and the amount of items. Pokémon can be left out of a game just fine, and transferred from Bank. Items cannot. Every single item gets made available again in every single game, and to me there are too many. The mega stones need to be made into one item, items that have basically the same effect need to be combined into just one item, etc. At this point, it's unnecessary item bloat.

There's no need to remove pokemon... it'd be a bad turn for things if they can just decide 'you can't use [pokemon] at all in this game period.' Because who says it would stick to just pokemon competitive players think are useless like Unown? Who's to say they wouldn't turn around and say "You can't use [pikaclones] in [gen#] because we already have Pikachu and [new pikaclone]." or "There's no need for [insert your favorite pokemon here] to be in the game because [insert new pokemon name here] fills the same role so you don't mind, right?"

Imagine if Black and White not only didn't let you catch pre-gen5 pokemon, but you were actively unable to use ANY pre-gen5 pokemon because they can't be transferred into it.

Interesting if we will get more moves to break through Protects. Zen fangs could or should work like Phantom force and bite through them like through screens and reflects. Some shielding moves in future should block phantim force but let other moves through. I personally think that psychic types should get a protect version that would always work like cursed body, disable and block oponents moves for 3 turns, but against both physical and special moves.
This way Malamar and our grass/psychic friend from gen I may get a good thing for their future in the games.

Interesting that zap canon should be a priority move and taking it chance of hitting it also should break through protect like moves taking that thunder by rain does has this effect.
The elemental Pledge moves and earth power for sure should hit dig users. Theoretically if they should create a shielding move thay protects from phantom force?

Last edited:
When I asked people who played it they told me AVs are too overpowered even without using candies to the extent someone beat the game with just a pidgey,
Candies are the only way to boost AVs, so that's bogus. If you want maximize your Pidgey's AVs, that is going to take a lot of time and you'll probably find it boring. Just ignore candies and the game will be more challenging.

stealthrock is in the game with no counters, the complete removal of held items and abilities made several Pokémon underpowered and about 10 Pokémon are viable competitors, some of which are just way too OP I hear
The game isn't meant to be played competitively outside of enthusiasts, but there are way more than just 10 viable competitors (31-38 depending on your bar). The only Pokemon that is truly missing an item is Marowak, and the Ninetales form in terms of abilities. The Megas are doing fine.

-more terrain casters
-more abilities related to terrains,
-terrain destroying ability and moves
  • other abilities related to sandstorm and hail
  • the move mist and the fo weather condition they could make their mind up and maybe make it a ghost weather and ghost move and make in battle effect alreadt

have a weird feeling that ice as the weakest type may get icy terrain....
seeing the map because ground getting sandy terrain would be nice but maybe they think sandstorm(rock) and the immunity against electric is enough for them?

Candies are the only way to boost AVs, so that's bogus. If you want maximize your Pidgey's AVs, that is going to take a lot of time and you'll probably find it boring. Just ignore candies and the game will be more challenging.

The game isn't meant to be played competitively outside of enthusiasts, but there are way more than just 10 viable competitors (31-38 depending on your bar). The only Pokemon that is truly missing an item is Marowak, and the Ninetales form in terms of abilities. The Megas are doing fine.
I was told you get AVs from levelling or something

And if it's not meant to be played competitively, then it shouldn't have multiplayer.

Just a minor one, but I would like the catch rates of certain Balls improved. Like increase a Great Ball's rate from 1.5x to 2x, the Ultra Ball from 2x to 3x, the Safari Ball (if we ever get it back) increased from 1.5x to 2x, and maybe give the Heal, Luxury, and perhaps the Premier Ball a 1.5x rate instead of just 1x. The standard model can stay the same, as it is a beginner ball, but if they could at least improve the Great and Ultra Balls, I'd be very happy. After all, they alter the catch rates of a lot of Balls throughout the games, like the Nest and Timer Balls, so why not?
Yes I agree, especially on the Premiere Ball! The Premiere ball is really cool looking, but I never really use them unless I'm catching low level Pokemon because let's face it, it's a Pokeball with a new coat of paint. I know it's design to be given as an extra ball if you buy Pokeball sets in 10s, but if I am buying 30 Ultra Balls, I don't want 3 Free Pokeballs.

I think another good way to handle this would actually be to give the Premiere Ball 2 new designs. A regular Premiere Ball has the usual 1x capture rate, then a Great Premiere Ball would have the capture rate as a Great Ball, and then the Ultra Premiere Ball would have the same catch rate as an Ultra Ball. That, or the Premiere Ball only comes in sets of 10 Pokeballs, and for Great and Ultra it just comes with an extra ball of that type.

__

This gets me into another point that I might have made before, but I would really like to see more kinds of Pokeballs. I have seen this idea floating around for a few years of this type of Pokeball, and if they brought this mechanic back, it would be a great thing to have. And that's Hordes, with the new addition of the Horde Ball. Hordes were an encounter method introduced in Gen 6, but did not make a return in Gen 7. This might have had something to do with the fact that the 3DS could not handle it. After all, it was even having trouble running with Double Battles. Now that Pokemon is on a bigger console, I would love to see Horde Encounters to come back. I loved the idea of Horde Encounters, because it was like you were being ambushed, and felt a little thrilling. It really shows off the lore that some Pokemon travel in packs, which is really neat.

With these Horde Battles, it would be great to see a Horde Ball be introduced. It would give the player the ability to throw the Pokeball at the Pokemon in the Horde that they want to catch, without having to faint all the other ones. It can be on the pricey side, to balance it out a bit, and it would work like the other Pokeballs in that you should probably weaken the Pokemon you are trying to catch first. I think it would be really neat.

I was told you get AVs from levelling or something
You get candies from catching Pokemon, and you choose whether or not to use them like vitamins in the traditional games. You were being misled.

And if it's not meant to be played competitively, then it shouldn't have multiplayer.
It's called casual battles for fun. Some people do take them more seriously and that's fine, but there are no official tournaments for a reason.

You get candies from catching Pokemon, and you choose whether or not to use them like vitamins in the traditional games. You were being misled.

It's called casual battles for fun. Some people do take them more seriously and that's fine, but there are no official tournaments for a reason.
You get 1 upon level up.
LGPE multiplayer sounded fun until I heard about the balancing issues, I'm also not a fan of Mega Evolution.
I'm not gonna risk buying another Pokémon game I won't get longevity out of. I already hate wild battles from my experience with the demo so the saving grace would be whether I enjoy the multiplayer or not.

The other issue is that the protagonist is silent. Wouldn't it be weird that the Protagonist doesn't talk in a voice acted world?
Not really. In many cases where the protagonist is customizable, the protagonist is silent. (Elder Scrolls, many Shin Megami Tensei games and spin-offs, etc.) I don't see how it's weirder than what we have now.

Not really. In many cases where the protagonist is customizable, the protagonist is silent. (Elder Scrolls, many Shin Megami Tensei games and spin-offs, etc.) I don't see how it's weirder than what we have now.
You mean in a voice acted world, the avatar character is silent still?

Something recently came to mind that I admit I would like to see re-implemented. As we're all very much aware of at this point, Mythical Mons are basically handed to you on a silver platter nowadays. However, back in Gen IV, it wasn't that easy. We were given event items that helped us find Mythical Mons ourselves, like Oak's Letter. I kinda want that implemented again, as Mythicals feel kinda cheapened due to recent years of just giving them to us. I mean, lore-wise, they're Mons that most aren't even 100% sure exist, like Shaymin, Darkrai, and so on, so it feels kinda cheap that these virtually unknown Mons would just fall into our laps via events. Rather, I would like even items to return that would trigger a player-induced search for these Mythical Mons.

Now, I'm not exactly talking about using things like limited-time Mystery Gift events, no, as those can be rather obnoxious. Rather, I would like these events activated at certain points in the game, like becoming the Champion or taking down the villainous team. You know, kinda acting like a reward for certain things, without needing it to be strictly Mystery Gift stuff. For example, say after becoming the Champion, Prof Oak appears at your door, asking you to research something for him and giving you an item that "may" help, which will trigger the event needed to find the Mythical Mon that the item unlocks. Then you have to do bit of a clue hunt to track down a hidden location where the Mythical Mon is hiding. It'll not only reward you for actually spending the time tracking down your target, but it could also act like a post-game side-quest that you can take up at your leisure, thus extending gameplay for a bit. And, if implemented this way, you won't have to worry about resetting the game or starting up a new file and not getting the chance to find the Mon due to the "item" being gone afterward, which is the main problem Mystery Gift things tend to have.

How does that sound?

Now, I'm not exactly talking about using things like limited-time Mystery Gift events, no, as those can be rather obnoxious. Rather, I would like these events activated at certain points in the game, like becoming the Champion or taking down the villainous team. You know, kinda acting like a reward for certain things, without needing it to be strictly Mystery Gift stuff. For example, say after becoming the Champion, Prof Oak appears at your door, asking you to research something for him and giving you an item that "may" help, which will trigger the event needed to find the Mythical Mon that the item unlocks. Then you have to do bit of a clue hunt to track down a hidden location where the Mythical Mon is hiding. It'll not only reward you for actually spending the time tracking down your target, but it could also act like a post-game side-quest that you can take up at your leisure, thus extending gameplay for a bit. And, if implemented this way, you won't have to worry about resetting the game or starting up a new file and not getting the chance to find the Mon due to the "item" being gone afterward, which is the main problem Mystery Gift things tend to have.

How does that sound?
I don't think they will do that, otherwise, how could they be different from normal legendaries?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom