• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things you want to see done in Pokemon Gen 8 (2019)

I think this list is practically the same every Pokémon game:
  • Following Pokémon, stop teasing us with it and then not putting it in the main game. Would love the riding feature from Let's Go here too.
  • I don't really care about the number of Pokémon we get, as long as they're of some quality again. Was quite disappointed with most of SuMo's line-up being quite boring; just a donkey, just a koala, just a toucan, the designs weren't very creative most of the time imo. I want stuff like Reuniclus, Scraggy, Whimsicott and Spiritomb again, the fun stuff that doesn't really look like just some animal (or object). I know the UBs fit that but....those just went too far in the weird-department lol. Also, more Pokémon that evolve please, SuMo was a disaster in that regard.
  • Less linearity, only being allowed one specific direction at almost all times in SuMo got really tiring.
  • Reverse GTS, let me look what I can get for the Pokémon I want to trade. It's really hard to guess what people want, so this seems more practical and fun.
  • Better customization. XY had some really nice clothing options, SuMo was really limited in that regard. Also, no versions exclusive clothing and colors ffs. Also, more customization at the start would be nice, just a few hairstyles, eye colors and simple clothing options is all I ask for so I'm not stuck in one of the three default options until I finally run into a clothing shop.
  • Let me skip tutorials and cutscenes please god.
  • Get rid of Festival Plaza please god.
  • Let me rename Pokémon whenever and let me rename traded Pokémon pls.
  • Some way to get trade evolutions in-game would be really nice. As someone with no real-life Pokémon-playing friends it is a hassle to go and find someone online to trade with me to get certain mons everytime. And on Switch you'll have to pay for online too so there's even a price tag on it. I'm fine with it costing in-game recourses and all, as long as it's possible in some way.
  • Let Z-moves be gone please, or let me skip the animations at least.
A well-rounded, somewhat snotty and villainous rival would be good. I miss the days of wanting to prove myself against Blue/Silver.
^ This, we've had enough sugar-sweet rivals by now haven't we? Please give me someone to hate again, it's way more satisfying to beat those.

Also something very specific: please let Deino be accessible early in the game. It only being found on Victory Road in BW was ridiculous. Though Rufflet and Vullaby being found early in SuMo gives me good hope.

Yeah, Ghetsis is the best Pokemon villain mainly because, in BW1, he lies to you until you defeat N at the Pokemon League. Villains that lie to the hero are typically the best kind of villains in fiction. Just as long as we don't get even a hint that they are lying to you, this is where Lusamine failed as a villain because you could already tell she was lying to you when you saw her creepy smile the first time you leave Aether Foundation. So please let Sword and Shield have a tyrant who acts like he's on your side until the climax where he reveals that he was against you this whole time.

Yeah, Ghetsis is the best Pokemon villain mainly because, in BW1, he lies to you until you defeat N at the Pokemon League. Villains that lie to the hero are typically the best kind of villains in fiction. Just as long as we don't get even a hint that they are lying to you, this is where Lusamine failed as a villain because you could already tell she was lying to you when you saw her creepy smile the first time you leave Aether Foundation. So please let Sword and Shield have a tyrant who acts like he's on your side until the climax where he reveals that he was against you this whole time.
Really? Although I do like Ghetsis I could see clearly through his lies.

EDIT: I think a better example would have been Es Cade/Evice from Colosseum and Mr. Verich/Greevil from XD.

Our rival becoming the main villian or beeing related to main villian would be cool.
A simple villian goal like winning the pokemon league to get a rare object to travel in time, control all pokemon, find or awake a sacred pokemon would be interesting? or not? all villians were evil from the start what if we get a vigiliante?
A villian that thinks he is a hero that saves others but his goal to change the world and ambitions could backfire?

Imagine a rival that would transform into a hero but would not know that he is a pawn for a villian organisation, something like we had in gen 6 but from the start more build up and showing the growth of team building and rivalry? a more calculated and strategy oriented trainer in comparence to "Ash".

Are you talking about N? Because he fits what you're saying here.

yes but N was a late one. We would need a rival from the start that would be part of it and get a pokemon starter and lets say be part of a high tech pokemon school that maybe is a gym of the 8 gym leader that could be the father or mother figure and the team leader of the organisation. I know Gladion but I want a more tech oriented nerd type with strategies and better created team...

yes but N was a late one. We would need a rival from the start that would be part of it and get a pokemon starter and lets say be part of a high tech pokemon school that maybe is a gym of the 8 gym leader that could be the father or mother figure and the team leader of the organisation. I know Gladion but I want a more tech oriented nerd type with strategies and better created team...
N appears AND battles you before the first gym... He's not later than, say, Wally

-The villain team having a goal more like team rockets. I’m tired of every villain trying to use legendaries. It’s old and stale.
-A separate plot with the legendaries That has nothing to do with the villain team would be cool. And you just stumble into it, no chosen one stuff.
-No forced legendary capture. I want to have the choice. I don’t want to feel like I’m only able to capture it because I’m a chosen one, I want to feel like I worked hard and earned the opportunity through my skill as a trainer.
-Some kind of side event like contests, pokeathon, etc.
-Classic capture system. The trailer didn’t really fully showcase if we’ve 100% returned to classic or if they’re using from let’s go. But considering how many times I’ve had ultra balls rejected in let’s go despite getting them perfect, I’ll stick with classic where I don’t have to worry about the Pokémon running away because the game decides my ultra ball sucks more than a poke ball.
-No handholding. Let me get lost and explore. At least not on the level of Alola.

I'd like to see the return of PKMN following us and GF could use the models (updated) they made for Gen. VII but never used.
Seasons and more Pkmn being affected by seasons: Grass type could gain a boost in Spring and work like Sunny Day effects, Fire in Summer and also use Sunny Day, Water in Autumn with Rain Dance effects and Ice in Winter with Hail effects as well as having Grass Pkmn having the most "form" differences according to seasons.
Remove roads if there aren't no cars or vehicles...I hated how SM had big roads for cars but these were few and always parked! In the end it seems something empty.
Bring back the plethora of touch screen options that we had in HG/SS. I liked how almost everything could be done in the lower screen.
No version esclusive customisation and festival plaza. Give us Teams as well as previous player characters clothing (no outfits in which you'll have to wear the entire outfit but the possibility to do so AND wear separate pieces)!

Last edited:
I would like to see the following non-specific typings:
Normal/Ghost
Poison/Psychic
Poison/Fairy
Poison/Steel

I would like the starters to be typed:
Rock/Grass
Fire/Electric
Water/?

I'd like far more character customization and I'd like to see it available before the player starts the game. I feel like it should be done during the intro when you're also naming your character.

Also, a way to manipulate natures for certain Pokemon without having to soft-reset is a must.

Last edited:
Its up in the air if Triples and Rotations will return, but at the very least if they don't I'd like a new interesting battle format I could actually use online. Last gen those got removed and we got a rather bad replacement imo with Battle Royale and you couldn't even play it online. Going by patterns, its likely those two return or they'll have another stand in, I just hope its interesting.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom