• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things you want to see done in Pokemon Gen 8 (2019)

TheHungryBox

Reaction score
-There are 130+ New Pokemon, 6 (9 if we have to make new sub-legends) of which are legendaries
-The Starter pokemon are a Grass Stegosuarus, a Fire Bunny and a Water Marine Iguana
-The Regional Dex is 300+
-EXP Share only spreads the whole team in the post-game via a update by the professor, in otherwords the Gen 6-7 one is post-game only, whiling the Pre-Gen 6 one is in-game
-Difficulty settings from B2W2 returns
-Battle Frontier returns
-National Dex returns, also only in post-game as well
-In post-game, there's a way to get selected/certain pokemon outside the regional dex, they're not allowed in VGC 2020
-There's now a option to ban Z-Moves and Megas on BattleSpot (so you can battle without them)
-Speaking of which, Megas and Z-Moves are both post-game
-You can now make mini-metagames of your own; EX, a metagame where only 3-stage mons are allowed
-Synchronise now 100% works on non-breedable pokemon (Legendaries, UBs)
-Synchronise also works on mystery gift pokemon
-There's a way to get Mythical Pokemon via post-game side quests
-The story is as barebones as Gen 1 but, there's side-quests through out the in game, plus its less linear and more explorable
-Horde battles return
-Hyper Training returns, but now works for Lvl. 50+
-Hidden Power type is now optional, the IV Hidden Power mechanics are still there but type can be changed afterwards
-Hidden Power Fairy is now a thing
-Ice now resist Water and Ground
-Fairy and (maybe) Ghost no longer resist Bug
-Battle Royal returns and is now last-man standing instead
-BattleSpot is now full 6v6 battles
-PSS returns
-There's a new thing that's similar to PokePelago
-New Legends are no longer shiny locked
-Certain pokemon's stats are significantly overhauled (Lurantis, Rampardos, etc.)
-Certain pokemon gained new moves and/or abilities
-Certain moves and abilities are changed
-Nidorina and Nidoqueen can now breed

I would want a special Villain Team plot twist.

The final Gym Leader/Trial Captain turns out to be the leader of a villain team.
Elite Four members would be of villain team grunts or so.

I know lots of people say they want the game more open-world like the latest Zelda and Mario, but I have no idea how that could work. One way that I WOULD like to see it be similar to Zelda, though, is a more explorative dynamic. Like, send you off into the wilderness with just your Pokemon, similar to Link just roaming around Hyrule. I think if they did this, they could also revamp the Totem Pokemon idea .It kind of bothered me that despite being wild Pokemon, all the totems (well, I guess except for Kommo-o) were basically tied to a trial captian, which in a sense didn't make them feel "wild." Also, if they keep the whole thing from Let's Go where you see the Pokemon in the wild before you battle, I think a bigger world is a must.

Oh, also, please bring back something like super training. I much preferred raising EVs in gen 6 compared to 7.

I would prefer having just 80 new Pokemon.

Perhaps a way to make it more open-world is to have a lot more side quests?

-There's a way to get Mythical Pokemon via post-game side quests

This would also definitely be nice.

I also want more overt links to previous generations, be it characters or game mechanics.

I think Battle Spot is 3v3 because it's the purpose of it to be quick games. So the round-robin system.

I liked the other suggestions and ideas, especially the return of the difficulty setting. I've seen people say that Game Freak don't want children to choose the "hard" option and then give up on the game, I don't know where they got this information from, whether the Masuda actually said something like that, or if people just assume it to be like that. But honestly, that would be an idiotic thought on the part of the developers.

If they really think so, there are many ways to prevent this from happening, for example, a questionnaire to select the difficult level.

Of course the child in question can still see the answers on the internet or whatever, but wanting to be able to predict and prevent even this kind of situation is asking too much. They should just not care anymore, at this point. They would be holding back the fun of many for the sake of a few isolated cases.

Last edited:
Leave all Kanto references behind, and keep Kanto Pokemon to a bare minimum. Aside from that, I don't really know what else I would want until more information for the games come out, maybe letting us to require the Pokemon being traded holding specific held items in the GTS.

I liked the other suggestions and ideas, especially the return of the difficulty setting. I've seen people say that Game Freak don't want children to choose the "hard" option and then give up on the game, I don't know where they got this information from, whether the Masuda actually said something like that, or if people just assume it to be like that. But honestly, that would be an idiotic thought on the part of the developers.

If they really think so, there are many ways to prevent this from happening, for example, a questionnaire to select the difficult level.

Of course the child in question can still see the answers on the internet or whatever, but wanting to be able to predict and prevent even this kind of situation is asking too much. They should just not care anymore, at this point. They would be holding back the fun of many for the sake of a few isolated cases.
Or they just let you toggle the difficulty setting and upon reloading the game, it will be configured to that setting. Even experienced players could find out they're not enjoying themselves after choosing hard mode, or new fans find themselves with not enough challenge after selecting easy and being able to adjust difficulty would solve that.

I know lots of people say they want the game more open-world like the latest Zelda and Mario, but I have no idea how that could work. One way that I WOULD like to see it be similar to Zelda, though, is a more explorative dynamic. Like, send you off into the wilderness with just your Pokemon, similar to Link just roaming around Hyrule. I think if they did this, they could also revamp the Totem Pokemon idea .It kind of bothered me that despite being wild Pokemon, all the totems (well, I guess except for Kommo-o) were basically tied to a trial captian, which in a sense didn't make them feel "wild." Also, if they keep the whole thing from Let's Go where you see the Pokemon in the wild before you battle, I think a bigger world is a must.
I don't think they should copy the model one-on-one, but there are features that GF could learn from. I've only played BotW, not Odyssey, but my takeaway from BotW that you can make things more difficult for yourself quite easily, or chose the easier routes without too much hassle. The game fairly gently guides you. An approach where you collect badges/stamps/bottle caps/beads/whatever and setting a minimum requirement to challenge the league could work. Cause in that case you can also add more gyms/trials/challenges/whatever. Say there are 12 'gyms' in the region, but you need to beat at least 4 to qualify for the league and access to the post-game content that usually comes after. That's not a very large threshold for people who's main interest is in competitive and want to get through the game quickly. Four gyms also aren't super difficult to find, I imagine, so relatively inexperienced people wouldn't have too much trouble getting to the point of challenging the league either

The one downside to this open world approach I noticed in BotW though was that the story is benched. Not that I didn't think BotW's plot wasn't interesting or good, but you really had to go and look for it and it was for me personally a little hard to get into the narrative. Not that GF is that incredibly at plots, but we've had some good ones over the years. So it would be a pity if all story and lore elements become almost entirely optional

Less Kanto nostalgia pandering, a story at least on par with SuMo, a stronger focus on newer Pokemon than older Pokemon, unused type combinations including but not limited to like Bug/Ice, Bug/Dark, Poison/Steel, Dark/Electric, Fairy/Fighting, Bug/Dragon, Fire/Fairy, Rock/Ghost, and Grass/Fire, underused type combinations including but not limited to Water/Fire, Water/Steel, Fire/Steel, Water/Ghost, Grass/Rock, Bug/Ground, Fighting/Flying, Steel/Ghost, Bug/Electric and Bug/Fire, and a crapload of strong Bug-types.

Things I would like to see in Gen 8 are:
- The ability to get all however many hundred Pokémon there are, in game, especially all the Starters.
- All of the Starters have Mega Evolutions, with "Ash Greninja" actually being a Mega Evolution that can be activated either by a Mega Stone, or by Battle Bond.
- For one of the villainous teams to actually be a heroic team, and give the Trainer the ability to join them. There would still be a normal villainous team, but they would not be the main threat in the game.
- Have the official Pokémon League, or at least most of the leadership for it, to actually be the real villains and want to enslave Pokémon and even take over the world, fearing that the world would disallow Pokémon battles, seeing them as a form of slavery, with the irony being that to counter this, they do, indeed, plan on enslaving all Pokémon to the League and League-loyal Trainers.
- Have the player's mother be the Champion, and the father be the leader of the heroic "villainous team" and the two actually battle each other at at least one point during the game, with them even breaking up during the course of the game. She would not know the true intentions of the League, though. In the end, if the Player chooses to reject the League and bring its crimes to light, the Mother will side with them and help them fight the League in one massive final battle, involving the player, both parents, the heroic team, and the Pokémon League. The parents will reconcile at the end.
- Allow the players to recruit Pokémon to the team like in the animé where you don't have to capture them.
- Allow the Trainer to join either the actual villainous team or even the evil Pokémon League during the game and even become a tyrant to the end, though if this happened, the only outcome would be the player character's defeat/death, even if they are the strongest Trainer in the whole world.
- Have Super Training and Hyper Training return with easier access to Gold Bottle Caps.
- Have multiple endings: the best one being the player's parents forming a new, more noble and honest, Pokémon League, and the worst being the player character being captured or killed when taking part in an unwinnable battle against the rest of the world.

I’d like the next generation to involve legendaries that are urban legends rather than established historical figures/spirits/gods. Basically, the mascot legendaries are relatively unknown to the people of the region, and our task is to study the legendaries and their potential. The mascot of the chosen version just happens to be the legend you’re assigned to study, with your rival getting assigned the other mascot.

I'd like to see some new cross gen evolutions, but with that said, the amount of Pokemon included in the Gen 8 Pokedex to be limited. I want to see preference for Gen 4 - 6 Pokemon in the Pokedex. No Pikachu, and Eevee only if it get's a new evo.

More open room to explore, side quests, maybe the ability to travel more free willed and not because you have to go to X City first to get gym badge 3 before you can proceed to Y city to get gym badge 4. I can also do without someone trying to take over the power plant.

Or they just let you toggle the difficulty setting and upon reloading the game, it will be configured to that setting. Even experienced players could find out they're not enjoying themselves after choosing hard mode, or new fans find themselves with not enough challenge after selecting easy and being able to adjust difficulty would solve that.

That's a good idea, but there might be some flaws. For example, if I put the game in the hard, capture a high level pokémon, and then restart the game back to the easy, it would end up changing the game from easy to super easy. I also think that being able to change the difficulty when you want would hurt even more the immersion.

But it is still an option. There are many options. I hope they realize that and bring the difficulty setting back permanently, and in a better way this time.

That's a good idea, but there might be some flaws. For example, if I put the game in the hard, capture a high level pokémon, and then restart the game back to the easy, it would end up changing the game from easy to super easy. I also think that being able to change the difficulty when you want would hurt even more the immersion.

But it is still an option. There are many options. I hope they realize that and bring the difficulty setting back permanently, and in a better way this time.
If it weren't for the fact pokemon games have only one save file, I might agree with you more. With the LoZ franchise it makes sense I think, cause once you beat the game, that's it. A hard mode there provides and extra challenge in an extra save file. But Pokemon doesn't offer that luxury.

Not to mention, there will always be ways to cheat the system. And I don't think a few extra levels is gonna make all the difference. You had that options as well when chaining with the DexNav. Not to mention that if you set your difficulty level higher so you can catch a higher level pokemon, your team's level isn't adjusted accordingly. So just like encountering a higher level opponent with the DexNav, you'd be facing a stronger opponent then you might be prepared for. And then you still have to catch it.

Lastly, the difficulty setting in BW2 didn't just adjust levels (slightly), it also adjusted movesets/held items/NPC AI, so getting a high leveled pokemon to make easy into super easy might not be worth the effort. And if it is for someone, well, be my guest

I'd like to see some new cross gen evolutions, but with that said, the amount of Pokemon included in the Gen 8 Pokedex to be limited. I want to see preference for Gen 4 - 6 Pokemon in the Pokedex. No Pikachu, and Eevee only if it get's a new evo.
what about Gen 2, 3 and 7 Pokemon, i get why you kick out Gen 1 pokemon outta of the dex cause of the recent pandering, but why not Gen 2, 3 and 7?

what about Gen 2, 3 and 7 Pokemon, i get why you kick out Gen 1 pokemon outta of the dex cause of the recent pandering, but why not Gen 2, 3 and 7?

We got Gold/Silver and Ruby/Sapphire remakes, and if I see one more Poochyena in GO! I am going to scream. I don't want to "kick" anyone out of the dex. I would just like to see later generations get some glory. I didn't really mention Gen 7 because it's the generation immediately preceding 8.

Basically, I just want another excuse to be able to have Infernape, Torterra, or Empoleon on my team again.

Leave all Kanto references behind, and keep Kanto Pokemon to a bare minimum. Aside from that, I don't really know what else I would want until more information for the games come out, maybe letting us to require the Pokemon being traded holding specific held items in the GTS.
Unless limited to just evolutionary items, giving people a chance to ask for items would result in the GTS being flooded with kids asking for Master Balls. Otherwise-reasonable requests would die out so people can try and hit the jackpot. I'd rather they just retcon away the need for trade items. It simplifies the process for kids, gets rid of some items that are clogging up out inventory, and it would get rid of the problem of people asking for things like Electivire in exchange for Electabuzz, or Porygon-Z for Porygon2.

Unless limited to just evolutionary items, giving people a chance to ask for items would result in the GTS being flooded with kids asking for Master Balls. Otherwise-reasonable requests would die out so people can try and hit the jackpot. I'd rather they just retcon away the need for trade items. It simplifies the process for kids, gets rid of some items that are clogging up out inventory, and it would get rid of the problem of people asking for things like Electivire in exchange for Electabuzz, or Porygon-Z for Porygon2.
That's what I meant by specific held items, things like Pokeballs, Mega Stones and Z-Crystals can't be asked for, but items like King's Rock and Magmarizer can.

I'm the type of person who cares a lot about the quality of stories in games, however I've been thinking that Pokemon could work great as an open-world game with minimal plot that let's you discover the region's myths and history through exploration. What I mean by this is that we could have the classic "beat the gyms, beat the league" story that someone could finish in a few hours and then get straight to the post-game somewhat similar to how you can challenge Ganon in BotW immediately or you can go explore instead. In Pokemon's case, you could just do various side-quests, explore caves, complete puzzles and slowly piece together the story and the legends of the region through NPC dialogue, murals, old records and more.

When I was a kid, the regi-trio quest in RSE was really fascinating to me. It wasn't part of the main story and you could easily miss it. There are these caves just being out there that you can choose to ignore or to decipher and discover new legendary Pokemon. I didn't have internet at home at the time so I didn't even know the regi-trio existed. Imagine my surprise! I want something like this for a Pokemon game but instead of it being a side quest, I want this to be the premise of how the region is designed by the developers and explored by the players.

This doesn't need to be the basis for every subsequent game, but I think it would be nice to have at least one region like this. It allows the player to decide what they think or feel about the region based on the things they discovered themselves, rather than having compulsory exposition or a story that tries really hard to convince you of something. XY comes to mind; the region was beautiful and the people were nice, but the story was trying to convince you people are competing over depleting resources.

Things like these can spawn a lot of fan theories and interpretations allowing for more fan engagement with the region, like how people try to piece together Looker's story based on what we've seen of him in the games. Sure, these things already happen in the fandom, but a region like this provides all the more content for this type of thing.

Last edited:
I don't really ask for much in Pokemon. The only really essential thing to me are designs I like, as my main purpose for liking the entire series are the pretty creatures and roleplaying being a trainer in the games. So I just hope we get plenty of cool new Pokemon designs in Gen 8 that will appeal to me, because I found Gen 7's roster to be a massive disappointment. This is the most important thing to me. Everything else I say after this is stuff that would be nice, but it doesn't strictly have to happen.

• Gen 7 made up for the lackluster designs by having the best story in a Pokemon game, so I hope they just keep dong what they're doing and strive to make stories with characters that we actually care about, like Lillie. I would like this one to happen quite a bit, because it was really cool to have an emotional connection to a Pokemon game and for it to actually feel like a proper JRPG for once.
  • MAKE POKEMON FOLLOW YOU. I know this is such an extraneous thing, but for someone who is more focused on the roleplay/immersion factor, this improves the game for me quite a bit. And makes the Pokemon feel like actual, real partners in your journey. Having them follow you in 3D... has been my dream for years.
  • Less handholding and tutorials as well. One of the things I prefer about the older games is that they just kind of toss you somewhere without any direction, and you figure it out for yourself. Perhaps they could resolve this whole thing though by just having difficulty levels, and turning off the tutorials entirely on what I would call a "Veteran" setting. I mean, they know old farts like me are still into the franchise, what with all this Gen 1 pandering. So why not pander to adult sensibilities in a different way, by giving the game more challenge?

Also, I really don't want them to add open world elements to Pokemon. I feel too many games are being sucked up into this genre and becoming the same game. And I come to Pokemon to have solace from that, to have a nice classic JRPG experience. So I'm fine with them just leaving the exploration as is.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom