• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things you want to see done in Pokemon Gen 8 (2019)

Better story, antagonists that are engaging and interesting and used to effectively make some sort of greater theme or point (the lack of the latter is my biggest gripe with Gen VII).

maybe 4 compulsory type based gyms at the beginning and it branches off such that you can chose between type based gyms or themed gyms (stats, abilities, etc.?)

I want the National Pokédex total to be in the nine hundreds. The regional Pokédex should have even distribution between all seven previous generations. Preferably one Pokémon evolutionary family per type per generation. If any generation should have more, it should be the new one. Have the gyms return. And this time, give us a Dark-type Gym. It's ridiculous how the new Fairy type got a Gym before Dark. And I want to see all the Pokémon in the regional dex by the time I beat the Elite Four. Give us multiple save files so that we can play different adventures without overwriting. And maybe an auto-save slot for people who are too lazy to save manually or had cases where their game was interrupted. Fix the catching mechanics so that it's less luck-based. If you defeat a legendary, the legendary should stay where it is so that you would immediately have another chance at catching it. And if you run from a legendary, it should retain the same HP and status effect when you return. And when you save multiple adventures, you can battle or trade with them as long as all your manual save files have different ID numbers. Otherwise that would allow players to use duplicate save files for cloning exploits and I'm sure Game Freak wouldn't want that. The Battle Frontier should come back with every battle facility in the series.

maybe 4 compulsory type based gyms at the beginning and it branches off such that you can chose between type based gyms or themed gyms (stats, abilities, etc.?)

I was thinking it would be kind of cool to have sort of a "choose your own adventure" sort of thing, like you can either go to city A for Gym 1 next, or you can proceed to city B for Gym 2 instead.

Well, Gyms are a staple of the Pokémon series so the lack of them in Alola should be a one-time thing. Well, they are back in Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, but considering how they are Kanto remakes, they might not count toward the "return" of something.

In addition to a National PokeDex and a few more Afrocentric hairstyles, I would really appreciate the ability ride Pokemon regardless if they're in your party or not. I'm all for not having to switch out Pokemon for pretty much any reason.

Last edited:
A larger ratio of new to old Pokemon, and frankly less Pokemon overall - I feel like regions start to lose a lot of their own individual identity when you just throw a ton of Pokemon into them willy-nilly, and I feel like Kalos and Alola's huge Pokedexes were ultimately to their detriment. A solid group of around 300-350 Pokemon should be sufficient, with at least 100 new ones.

Yeah, Kalos was the worse when it split the Pokédex into three parts because it was so big, but had the least amount of new Pokémon. 457 Pokémon with 72 new and 384 old is a bad ratio. I think the new should be prioritized over the old. They didn't have to put the Kanto starters and legendaries in the Kalos Dex.

For all the flaws Gen 7 had, I loved how title defense was introduced. Instead of fighting the former champion again and again, you now sit on your throne and someone comes to challenge you. I love it. It makes you feel like an actual champion. I would love for it to be expanded upon. Just please don't remove it GF. Or I'll despise the game solely for that.

I agree with this, and to expand upon it, I'd like for Champion duties to become a thing in Gen 8. Make it feel like an occupation with obligations, new side-quest, and the like attached to it. Perhaps as champion you work alongside the international police to root out regional issues aside from the main villain team. Make the NPCs also have different dialogue to acknowledge who you are.

I also want the ability to drop the title and walk away from it (ala Red) if necessary. Because between the extra duties, challengers to the throne, regional issues and whatnot, I want the possibility for holding the championship itself to feel burdensome. It is sometimes easier to acquire power, than to hold onto it, after all. Maybe you'll even tire of the different way in which people treat you now, and simply wish to walk on the path of a normal trainer again, which grants more "freedom."

------------

To meet demands half-way, I would like for Gyms to be optional for the story of the games. Gym Leaders themselves you'll still meet, help, and even battle alongside with perhaps against the villain team, but you have the choice whether or not you want to take that path and claim their badges. I liked the "island trials" idea, but in essence it was just a fill in for the Gym challenges. Perhaps have "trials" of some sort, but expand it a bit. Also keep the totem/UB boss idea, but just throw max EVs into several stats AND give them Blissey HP along with Evolite defenses. They're bosses, and should be treated accordingly. If they are catchable, then incorporate the lore about Pokemon becoming weaker when put into Pokeballs like Gen 4 & 5 alluded to.

Have different end-game goals aside from challenging the Gyms/E4 and becoming champion. Just bc you are the MC doesn't mean you should be dead set on that, and really bc you are the MC it should ultimately be your choice to begin with.

Obviously, I favor a stronger story for future games. Pokemon is an JRPG, and to me it should explore things beyond the conventional: Catch, train, Gym, E4 & done.

Along this, I would like for the conventional system within the games (Gyms/League) to be challenged like how Team Plasma challenged the idea of capturing Pokemon. One of the main reasons I would want the new region to be the U.K. is the possibility of the league system being formally an Imperial one during a prior age of Empire & colonialism. Of course, there are other ways that could be handled, but I just want to make trainers question whether to pursue the path or not. It makes it more worthwhile in the end for those that would or wouldn't.

Perhaps these demands are a bit too specific though, so for the love of Arceus introduce difficulty levels. GF already introduced multiple save files on the Switch for the games, so time to modernize and get difficulty as well.

I'd really like the Player character's dad to be around rather than the mom, and have him actually be apart of the story or have a role like a gym leader (similar to Norman), professor, or even an elite four or champion. Giving them the player character the drive go surpass them or at least met them as an equal.

I'd really like the Player character's dad to be around rather than the mom, and have him actually be apart of the story or have a role like a gym leader (similar to Norman), professor, or even an elite four or champion. Giving them the player character the drive go surpass them or at least met them as an equal.
Alternately: two moms

In addition to the items I posted previously, I would want the return of seasons (and day/night cycle - I know it only misses the Kanto games). It just adds more life to the region.

I also miss Super Training. It was nice to EV train my Pokemon immediately upon catching them without having to search for certain swarms, especially early in the game when i wouldn’t have access to the full region. Once that’s out of the way I feel like I can just play without having to worry about finding EV resetting berries.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom