• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things you want to see done in Sun and Moon

Speaking of plot and player-driven experience, I'd love to see a player-driven plot with tons of choices that affect the story and outcome.

The best way I can interpret this is that you're looking for a Tell-Tale style gsme like The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones. Personally I feel like while that might make the story itself a little more open, I just don't think a system like that would be fitting, as it implies that the player would have to make moral choices that would heavily impact the story, which not only seems inappropriate for a Pokemon game, but also inappropriate for the target audience, who are much younger. It also would seem to be incredibly awkward that it would be a mechanic in an RPG, this decision based storyline sort of thing. It would actuallyy be less of a mechanic and more of a gimmicm in a game like this. It also wouldn't make sense giving that the base structure of a Pokemon game, the "formula" if you will, is so cemented into the series that making this sort of change would almost be too drastic, and it wouldn't feel like a natural progression of the improvement of the game's structure, but rather an unnecessary and inappropriate feature.
T

hink about this. Remember the Journal back in DPPr? That is what the story should be. A record of all the things you've done. What Pokémon you caught on that day. Who you battled this day. What item you found here. That isn't the games story, that's YOUR story. The Journal is one of the best story-telling items in the Pokémon series, and that's what I want Pokémon's story to be.

It wouldn't have to be forefront and gimmicky, nor would it have to be big moral choices. Even moral choices wouldn't have to be really good or really bad, just personal preferences, and several small things throughout that could simply affect the game. Like, you battle trainer A. He asks for a potion after you battle to help heal his Pokemon (I know they're fainted. Disregard). You give him a potion and he helps you out somehow later on. It's just a little example. But still. Personally, of course, I would prefer those bigger story affecting choices, and have a really player-intensive plot, but that might be asking too much. And of course, no "bad" endings. Just different, each good in their own way based on your preferences. Maybe it's not the perfect fit for a Pokemon game so far, especially in the ways other games have done it (and by the way, the Telltale Walking Dead games, while beautiful and fantastic stories, don't really have much choice factor. Besides a couple relationships and one character presence, nothing changes much. Ending and core plot is always the same).

I personally think a slightly darker and more serious Pokemon game (think a couple steps above BW) would be really good. And it wouldn't have to be so blatant as to be bad for any kids. It could either be subtle or complex, both of which could go over the heads of little ones. Even though I don't consider it to be a huge deal necessarily. Lot of kids today play games way out of their maturity league and they just don't care. A deep and sometimes serious Pokemon plot would be nothing to them.

But just in general, take out choice making and serious/darker plots, the plots need to improve. They're so weak and two dimensional. Only one that came anywhere close to being interesting really was BW, which still fell short of what I would like to see. I would love to see stronger, longer, deeper plots as well as higher levels of difficulty (no, not just level grinding. Mainly just better AI and better NPC Pokemon teams).

Gym Leaders should be as tough as the past Elite 4. Elite 4 should be at least as tough as past champions. Champions should be even stronger. Or, at least, give us true difficulty settings for these conditions... At the beginning of the game. Easy, Normal, and Hard at least.

In the Pokemon selection department, I feel like XY did pretty damn good. Given the huge number of Pokemon there are now, I think regional dexes should have at least a good 300, if not more. But I also want a bigger region. Kalos, frankly, was far too small for its 450+ Pokemon in the regional dex. Routes could be so packed it would take forever just to find a relatively "common" Pokemon.

I want a region twice the size of Kalos. I'm thinking a good 20 towns or so at least, maybe a few more. Maybe 25. But don't let them just be empty towns. Give them all purpose! Have a minimum of one non-badge town in between each badge. Maybe even 2 or 3 at some points. Have more sidequests. More optional sidequests for players to do, whether they're rewarded in special Pokemon encounters, TMs, money, Items, etc.

Allow more open-world freedom. Let players choose the direction they want to go in, and stop putting arbitrary boundaries everywhere to keep the player on a specific linear path. I say, let the boundaries for many areas simply be levels. And even then, make it possible to explore and try new directions sometimes. At least Kanto and Johto had a little bit of freedom in the mid-late game with badge/town order.

Bring back the best features from past games. Stop leaving out great features. For God's sake, keep the DexNav (or variant) going. Don't reduce the bottom screen. It's never been more amazing.

I could go on, but hey.

100% agree with you.
More mature content and different choices dont mean bad vs good.
And when I was kid i played games much more complex to my age reage, that when growed up I began to fully understand the plot and some details hinted.
And I didn't become mental, a bad person or mass murder by playing that types of games.
Yeah, no. This is a franchise targeted at kids, and just because you didn't become a mental after playing games that are too "complex" for your age doesn't mean that other kids won't. Also, not every video game is supposed to be "mature" ;)

Last edited:
Speaking of plot and player-driven experience, I'd love to see a player-driven plot with tons of choices that affect the story and outcome.

The best way I can interpret this is that you're looking for a Tell-Tale style gsme like The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones. Personally I feel like while that might make the story itself a little more open, I just don't think a system like that would be fitting, as it implies that the player would have to make moral choices that would heavily impact the story, which not only seems inappropriate for a Pokemon game, but also inappropriate for the target audience, who are much younger. It also would seem to be incredibly awkward that it would be a mechanic in an RPG, this decision based storyline sort of thing. It would actuallyy be less of a mechanic and more of a gimmicm in a game like this. It also wouldn't make sense giving that the base structure of a Pokemon game, the "formula" if you will, is so cemented into the series that making this sort of change would almost be too drastic, and it wouldn't feel like a natural progression of the improvement of the game's structure, but rather an unnecessary and inappropriate feature.
T

hink about this. Remember the Journal back in DPPr? That is what the story should be. A record of all the things you've done. What Pokémon you caught on that day. Who you battled this day. What item you found here. That isn't the games story, that's YOUR story. The Journal is one of the best story-telling items in the Pokémon series, and that's what I want Pokémon's story to be.

It wouldn't have to be forefront and gimmicky, nor would it have to be big moral choices. Even moral choices wouldn't have to be really good or really bad, just personal preferences, and several small things throughout that could simply affect the game. Like, you battle trainer A. He asks for a potion after you battle to help heal his Pokemon (I know they're fainted. Disregard). You give him a potion and he helps you out somehow later on. It's just a little example. But still. Personally, of course, I would prefer those bigger story affecting choices, and have a really player-intensive plot, but that might be asking too much. And of course, no "bad" endings. Just different, each good in their own way based on your preferences. Maybe it's not the perfect fit for a Pokemon game so far, especially in the ways other games have done it (and by the way, the Telltale Walking Dead games, while beautiful and fantastic stories, don't really have much choice factor. Besides a couple relationships and one character presence, nothing changes much. Ending and core plot is always the same).

I personally think a slightly darker and more serious Pokemon game (think a couple steps above BW) would be really good. And it wouldn't have to be so blatant as to be bad for any kids. It could either be subtle or complex, both of which could go over the heads of little ones. Even though I don't consider it to be a huge deal necessarily. Lot of kids today play games way out of their maturity league and they just don't care. A deep and sometimes serious Pokemon plot would be nothing to them.

But just in general, take out choice making and serious/darker plots, the plots need to improve. They're so weak and two dimensional. Only one that came anywhere close to being interesting really was BW, which still fell short of what I would like to see. I would love to see stronger, longer, deeper plots as well as higher levels of difficulty (no, not just level grinding. Mainly just better AI and better NPC Pokemon teams).

Gym Leaders should be as tough as the past Elite 4. Elite 4 should be at least as tough as past champions. Champions should be even stronger. Or, at least, give us true difficulty settings for these conditions... At the beginning of the game. Easy, Normal, and Hard at least.

In the Pokemon selection department, I feel like XY did pretty damn good. Given the huge number of Pokemon there are now, I think regional dexes should have at least a good 300, if not more. But I also want a bigger region. Kalos, frankly, was far too small for its 450+ Pokemon in the regional dex. Routes could be so packed it would take forever just to find a relatively "common" Pokemon.

I want a region twice the size of Kalos. I'm thinking a good 20 towns or so at least, maybe a few more. Maybe 25. But don't let them just be empty towns. Give them all purpose! Have a minimum of one non-badge town in between each badge. Maybe even 2 or 3 at some points. Have more sidequests. More optional sidequests for players to do, whether they're rewarded in special Pokemon encounters, TMs, money, Items, etc.

Allow more open-world freedom. Let players choose the direction they want to go in, and stop putting arbitrary boundaries everywhere to keep the player on a specific linear path. I say, let the boundaries for many areas simply be levels. And even then, make it possible to explore and try new directions sometimes. At least Kanto and Johto had a little bit of freedom in the mid-late game with badge/town order.

Bring back the best features from past games. Stop leaving out great features. For God's sake, keep the DexNav (or variant) going. Don't reduce the bottom screen. It's never been more amazing.

I could go on, but hey.

100% agree with you.
And when I was kid i played games much more complex to my age reage, that when growed up I began to fully understand the plot and some details hinted.
And I didn't become mental, a bad person or mass murder by playing that types of games.
Yeah, no. This is a franchise targeted at kids, and just because you didn't become a mental after playing games that are too "complex" for your age doesn't mean that other kids won't. Also, not every video game is supposed to be "mature" ;)

I gave just one example, because the argument that children cant play more violent or mature games is flawed. This classification exists to allow parents to authorize certain games that they want their children to access or not. It is a world classification in which certain contents are for certain ages. This has nothing to do with the intellectual capacity of children

Apart from that, I never said that pokemon should be a violent game, extremely deep, with adult content such as sex, explicit deaths, and etc ... But to say that Pokemon couldnt have a better plot, more open world, choices, because children are unable to understand anything is fail.
Especially cause much of the gamers are young adults, the first consumers when Red / Blue / Green were released. Of course they are consuming a game that is directed for all ages, so has certain limitations what can be done.

Last edited:
I gave just one example, because the argument that children cant play more violent or mature games is flawed. This classification exists to allow parents to authorize certain games that they want their children to access or not. It is a world classification in which certain contents are for certain ages. This has nothing to do with the intellectual capacity of children
Children can certainly play mature games. Whether they appreciate or recognize those more complex themes varies from child to child.

Apart from that, I never said that pokemon should be a violent game, extremely deep, with adult content such as sex, explicit deaths, and etc ... But to say that Pokemon couldnt have a better plot, more open world, choices, because children are unable to understand anything is fail.
Especially cause much of the gamers are young adults, the first consumers when Red / Blue / Green were released. Of course they are consuming a game that is directed for all ages, so has certain limitations what can be done.

I understand where you're going with this, but... I don't know. Don't get me wrong, I love open-world roamers and choices that can make or break the future. Darker and more complicated plots are some of my favorites. But in a way... I like the simplicity of Pokemon. When I have so many other crazy-complicated stories to pick apart, Pokemon's light, open plot is a nice thing to fall back on from time to time.

However, I will agree that Pokemon should be open to more complex and mature themes. Not themes like gore, death, or controversial/sensitive topics, but just stuff that makes you think. The kinds of themes that you can dissect and analyze for hours in your head, the kind that both adults and children can appreciate. I get the feeling that Black and White had undertones of this. Even as a grade schooler, I could detect some political tones and motifs here and there. Pokemon needs more of that. Not a complete paradigm shift in tone, gameplay or structure, but just a little extra depth.

I know this is possible because I've seen quite a few "children's games" do this before. Heck, Explorers of Sky did it in one of the special episodes, where they discussed the meaning of life and a spirit's legacy.

I'd like the two versions to have, y'know, an actual version difference.
If they do two versions again, the two games should have different storylines e.g. evil team wins/evil team loses, join the evil team/fight the evil team, you start out as the champion and have to battle gym leaders and the elite 4 to keep your title/regular goal but your rival is the champion (they obviously use a different team or they've gotten their Pokemon taken away).

Just the main games are sorta getting bland storyline wise. The beat rival-gym battles-whoop evil team's ass-defeat the champion formula is getting sort of old. And to stop fans whingeing about it 'not being a pokemon game', well, TWO VERSIONS.

Make the day/night appearance look more...real. Like in Animal Crossing, where every minute is a different shade color. In the Pokémon games though, it's just an instant change to darkness after a certain hour clicks.

Children can certainly play mature games. Whether they appreciate or recognize those more complex themes varies from child to child.

I understand where you're going with this, but... I don't know. Don't get me wrong, I love open-world roamers and choices that can make or break the future. Darker and more complicated plots are some of my favorites. But in a way... I like the simplicity of Pokemon. When I have so many other crazy-complicated stories to pick apart, Pokemon's light, open plot is a nice thing to fall back on from time to time.

However, I will agree that Pokemon should be open to more complex and mature themes. Not themes like gore, death, or controversial/sensitive topics, but just stuff that makes you think. The kinds of themes that you can dissect and analyze for hours in your head, the kind that both adults and children can appreciate. I get the feeling that Black and White had undertones of this. Even as a grade schooler, I could detect some political tones and motifs here and there. Pokemon needs more of that. Not a complete paradigm shift in tone, gameplay or structure, but just a little extra depth.

I know this is possible because I've seen quite a few "children's games" do this before. Heck, Explorers of Sky did it in one of the special episodes, where they discussed the meaning of life and a spirit's legacy.

Well, to be true i agree with you.
as I said before, I think BW and ORAS obtained the certain tone in the franchise, plot wise. I would change something there or here, and also get away a bit of mechanical formulas. Like you said, there are things that need to be refined and elements that they could go deep, like dimensions, infinty energy, etc.... It's not like pokemon had no mythology and its own universe to work with, it's just that they hint one thing here and another there and eventualy forget. As well as some features that they take out unnecessarily.

And Imo XY stepped back in this matter. But anyway I dont expect a super complex philosophical plots in pokemon, for that there are other games that fulfill this function.

About the open world, I metioned it just because many have the idea. it would be nice. Not a completely open world because this isnt Pokemon focus. Moreover, its not something strictly necessary. Not having it doesnt mean a hole. It would just be a plus to make things more interesting.

Don't overestimate kids, kids are really dumb and don't know anything. Look at them, they fuckin' eat glue and crayons all day.

well, it depends on the child's age. If children are up to about four years, yes. :lol::lol:
But that doesnt mean they eat crayons all day. I think sometimes they eat food or whatever, do something else. Dontthey?

Two minor things I thought of today...

Stop saying "X gym leader" or "X Elite Four member" challenged you to a battle when you clearly talked to and challenged them.
Different insides to Pokemon Centers in each area, like in the anime.

Reading some of the posts in here, I realize now how dull the gym line ups have become. I would love it if some of the rarer, morechallening types come first with the more common stuff being beefed up for the late game. Like I honestly wouldn't mind if for example gen 7 had a gyme line up like this:
Steel
Ghost
Poison
Ground
Dark
Normal
Fighting
Bug

And the E4 would be something real fresh, being a best of, of sorts, utilizing the most common gym types for a real challenge.
Grass
Electric
Rock
Psychic
The champion could be multitype instead of having a them while we are at it.

And in general there is a lot I want done while think about it. Without going into detail:
-Soaring is a test bed for HMs being scrapped. It becomes a permanent mechanic, but with a different item that can be found in the middle of the game. The workaround for not soaring straight to the league or othewise would be that you cannot be sure where to land in unexplored areas or such.
-The characters are olderthen ever, and your rival is the newly appointed proffesor of the region. Or perhaps a gym leader in training. Would love a rival that is central to the plot in two ways.
-There are two teams, unlike Magma/Aqua however. The two teams coexist, ine side supposedly good the other supposedly evil. You go through the games supporting one side, but as it goes on you see that they are in the wrong as much as the evil team, and the ecil team is in the right as much as the good team. Perhaps even the evil team is supported from the start taken as the good side, only to turn out evil.
-Hopefully another European region. I hate the idea of resetting the route count every gen now.

T

I could go on, but hey.

100% agree with you.

I don't know about you, but i'm one of those rare people that actually like and appreciate linear games. Johto had too many optional dungeons and because of that the level pacing was terrible and it made exploring the region even more boring. I agree that they should developp the plot more though.

Has anyone mentioned screenshots yet?

I know some 3DS games let you take them and one feature I love about playing on PS4/PC is the ability to take screenshots. I'm pretty sure everyone would love the ability to take screenshots wherever they want, it would make blogging your journey that much more fun!

I know some 3DS games let you take them and one feature I love about playing on PS4/PC is the ability to take screenshots. I'm pretty sure everyone would love the ability to take screenshots wherever they want, it would make blogging your journey that much more fun!

XY has certain spots you can, and ORAS has a camera for Contests.

Yes I know about those which is why I mentioned being able to take screenshots anywhere you want :D

It's extremely restricted though... Some kind of 'camera' item you get at the start of the game so you can capture screenshots of your game would be cool (completely optional of course, or maybe it's embedded in the regional device)

To add to the above discussion about the complexity/maturity of the games... As the franchise is getting older, the audience seems to become more varied as well. So something a bit more complex in build-up would be great. And with that I don't mean that they should be more violent, or graphic or anything the like. But a certain attention to detail, and the way of telling the story of the game, etc. would be nice

Eh, take Steven Universe for example. It's a cartoon aimed at roughly the same age group as Pokemon, but it's able to simultaneously be silly and fun, and a coherent narrative dealing with themes generally considered ' mature' (such as the effects of war, freedom of choice, love and relationships, and so on) And these aren't constantly on the foreground, nor is the show incredibly moralising. But it does recognise kids can handle these topics and they shouldn't be avoided at all costs, just to be replaced by fart-jokes or something

and in that sense I also like BW, cause it gave us a more complex plot, without it feeling shoved in your face (imo)

Dunno about the 'darker' though. Dark and edgy just really doesn't necessarily make for a good story/game

And less linear is a must. Really, I disliked Kalos mostly for this reason, it felt so unconnected. Backtracking and passing through certain locations several times, accompanied by some optional dungeons makes a region feel so much more coherent (that's why I like Hoenn and Sinnoh, it doesn't feel like there's a lot of 'none' space in between locations)

It will never happen, but a sweet addition to trainer customisation would be the ability to import QR code designs. I love that feature so much on Animal Crossing; it would be amazing in Pokemon.

Better remakes than the lazy ORAS games. At least 100 new pokemon at least and have at least two trios of legendary pokemon. Gym leader rematches to be available and done properly. Evolutions of previous gen pokemon to return. Battle Frontier to exist again.

Near the end of XY, I realized one thing I miss about previous Generations:

The NPC chatter during major Trainer battles (rival, Gym leader, evil team boss).

Please give us a decent Bug/Water type Pokemon. We only had Surskit, but come on, who uses that Pokemon?

Stop giving us Water Gyms and Electric Gyms! We've had 5 Electric Gyms out of a possible 6!

Make HMs into TMs. Easier to delete.

Overhaul the EV system. There's two EVs that go completely to waste. Rather make the total EVs 512 so that those two EVs don't go to waste.

Remove the Frozen status. I find it so irritating when one of my Pokemon becomes frozen and just stands being easily defeated.

Please give us decent remakes. ORAS was so terrible even though Hoenn is my favorite region.

I don't think it's a good idea. What if you were surfing and make one of your pokemon forget surf ?
Overhaul the EV system. There's two EVs that go completely to waste. Rather make the total EVs 512 so that those two EVs don't go to waste.
Actually,they did make it to 512 in gen 6.
Remove the Frozen status. I find it so irritating when one of my Pokemon becomes frozen and just stands being easily defeated.
The frozen status has barely any attack that cause it so it's really well balenced.
Replies are in bold ;)

I don't think it's a good idea. What if you were surfing and make one of your pokemon forget surf ?
Actually,they did make it to 512 in gen 6.
The frozen status has barely any attack that cause it so it's really well balenced.
Replies are in bold ;)

Thanks! Very eay to read!

True about the first response. Seems like Key Items will be backups then.
Oh! I didn't know. Haven't really EV trained in Gen 6 yet.
I'd still like it to be removed. I have very horrible luck with Frozen. I should probably just let it go.

I'd also like to see a TCG spin-off game for the 3DS. I really loved the TCG for GameBoy Color, I think. I felt like I could at least play the TCG without having any cards.

Stop giving us Water Gyms and Electric Gyms! We've had 5 Electric Gyms out of a possible 6!
Every generation (but not region) has had Water and Electric type Gyms, and yes it is a little annoying. I get that their types inherently have few elemental weaknesses, but how many times can the Electric Gym leader do a Volt Switch strategy anyway? Elesa in BW1, awesome. Elesa in BW2, okay ... Clemont in XY, *yawn*

I would rather have all EV calculations adjusted (by the equivalent of -1 or +3 EVs) so that you must max out an EV to see its maximum pointwise benefit.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom