• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things you want to see done in Sun and Moon

Quetsol Melt

Destined for Greatness
Reaction score
I think it'd be nice for us to discuss things we'd like to see done in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, and just generation 7 in general.

Here are a few things I'd like to see done next generation...

1) More New Pokémon than what this generation introduced. I'm not asking for something the size of what Gen 5 introduced, anywhere between 105-115 New Pokémon would be more than enough for me.

2) I hope they don't reveal almost all of the New Pokémon in the pre-release period like they did with X & Y. This is especially a big deal for me if there aren't that many new critters, as was the case with X & Y that revealed 42 of 69 New Pokémon that were available at the time of release.

3) Please make shiny versions of the PC/mini sprites. I would love and I mean love if they did this. I know its probably not a pet peeve for some but it bothers me so much that they have yet to do this. Just look at these shiny PC/mini sprites someone on reddit made of every Pokémon (they're just amazing)...

H14ZUQb.png

4) Please organize the numbering system in the National Pokédex. I cannot stand having evolutions separated from there families such as Budew and Roserade being separated from Roselia. If they aren't willing to rework the numbering system I hope they at least make another version of the Pokédex similar to the one they had in Gold and Silver, where all of the Pokémon families were together.

5) I would love to have a Pokémon based off the barreleye fish...

6LJ2d8S.jpg

6) I would love for Butterfree, Ninetales, Jynx, Yanmega, Emolga, Golurk, and Hydreigon to all receive Mega Evolutions.

7) No shiny locks to be placed on any of the Legendary Pokémon or any other Pokémon in general. If people want to soft reset for a shiny they should be able to and besides its not like it is stopping people from getting these guys through other means.

8) I hope they have a story that isn't centered around any Legendary Pokémon. I would just love it if they could just venture away from the typical Legendary Pokémon centered stories and try something completely new for once. Ever since Gen 3 its been the same and I say that its time for something completely new and refreshing.

These are just some of the many things that I'd like to see.

Please feel free to share what you guys would like to see.

Last edited:
I would love for the game to have a much more dynamic, less linear experience. I want them to finally add simple features people want like difficulty levels and make the game more challenging (I've discussed this before in other threads, features such as a top 16 as the final battle then the elite four battle as post game, opponents level is based on your Pokemon's level and changes depending on the difficulty level).

I'd like a region that is more linked like how Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh were. They could always make a region that is connected to Kalos or start fresh and create a whole new giant region.

Game Freak need to make the game in such a way, that after beating the Pokemon League you actually STAY as the Champion. Because re- winning the League every time (without having lost your League Title), makes no sense.

After you become the Champion, you can still go around the region as always, but you would recieve calls from the Pokemon League asking you to go there as soon as you can, cause a new rival appeared claiming your Championship and you must defend it. If you win,you stay as the Champion. If you lose, you have to challenge the new Champion and so on.

That would give an epic feeling to the game.

An other feature the games need it the difficulty mode, cause the games tend to be too easy sometimes...

About the number of new Pokes, there already are a LOT of Pokemon in existence, and with the megas, there ere even more.

Honestly, I prefer them to release a few really good ones, rather than plenty of mediocre ones. But of course, if they have plenty of good ideas, the more new pokemon, the better.

Last edited:
8) I hope they have a story that isn't centered around any Legendary Pokémon. I would just love it if they could just venture away from the typical Legendary Pokémon centered stories and try something completely new for once. Ever since Gen 3 its been the same and I say that its time for something new and refreshing.

You know, really, I feel as though XY were trying to be this. Xerneas/Yveltal have practically no background lore, and are rushed into the plot at the very last second, and even then, it is really just meant to give you something to sweep Lysandre with. But the actual plot is far more about the Kalos war and the weapon that it left behind. So while XY's plot still sucked, I think it was trying to break away from the usual Legendary-centric plots. And it sort of succeeded, but in the most misconceived way possible, and it came out even more sloppy as a result.

8) I hope they have a story that isn't centered around any Legendary Pokémon. I would just love it if they could just venture away from the typical Legendary Pokémon centered stories and try something completely new for once. Ever since Gen 3 its been the same and I say that its time for something new and refreshing.
That trend started in Gen 3, it seems. In Gen 2 Lugia and Ho-Oh were just sort of there (and Ho-Oh had a larger share of lore behind it than Lugia did) and that was about it.

The story of BW was the best. Yes, it did come down to Team Plasma getting their hands on a legendary and you having to use its counterpart to stop them, but it's the only game in the (main) series where the story is more than just you out to become a Pokemon champion and maybe you did sort of defeat an evil organization along the way too.

Last edited:
You know, about the features we want returning from past games, and the new features we want... I´ve been thinking WHY doesn´t Game Freak add features that are easy to make but they still don´t bother making or adding in every game?

Now, my theory might be completely wrong, but I was thinking... The Johto remakes were like the (almost) ideal Poke games. They had a whole region, a second whole region, AND a Battle Frontier after that. Even your Pokemon could follow you out of its pokeball.

And BW2 were very complete too.

So what if they understood that after releasing a "very complete game", the next game they released had less people buying it, cause they were still not "tired" of their previous very complete game?

I have no idea how BW did for example (after the success of the Johto remakes), but I was thinking maybe their strategy is togive us new features, but get rid of some previous ones, and have them added in a next game again, so they have us "always wanting more".

For instance: BW2 had a great PWT and difficulty modes. In X they took those things out, but added customization of characters. In ORAS, they took that out, but added Soaring, and the returning of Contests. But they didn´t add the Frontier. It wouldn´t surprise me if in the next games they release, they add the Frontier and customization once again, but take out soaring (lets hope not, but they ARE capable of doing it).

It might sound crazy for some, and I have no market info to prove it, but using myself as an example, if they made the ULTIMATE pokemon game, I could perfectly skip the next pair of games they released after that. And mybe that is exactly what they are trying to avoid.

Last edited:
On the other hand I'd really wish for a more realistic region and geography. The only two games that really nailed this down were Kalos and the combined Kanto-Johto. C'mon, at least Kalos acknowledged that the regions of Gen 1-4 was actually Japanese. And Johto made it clear that it was part of Poke-Japan as well. Shinnoh and Kanto (on its own) didn't have that. Hoenn was worse - it had a complete break from the first two regions, and was way too inaccurate a region; I wish that never happens again.

I can deal with the varying quality of the story - Pokemon's story has always been decent compared to a couple of other Nintendo franchises. Besides, the stories are more or less separate, so there's always the next game. Ditto with the contents - I don't find a majority of the game contents play a huge role beyond pure game play matters, and the ones that do seem to be uniquely tied to the specific region. Geography, on the other hand, is something that is going to stay AND define the Pokemon work as a whole, so I'd rather they be consistently done. And especially when real-life geographic names were spelt out in Gen 1-2, and especially when the real-life cultures/nations were made more explicit in Gen 6, I'd rather they continue this path of realism. The only time I wasn't as harsh was during Gen 5, which I consider as a transitional period when GF seemed to shift its artistic focus and target audience from primarily Japanese to more global.

Last edited:
On the other hand I'd really wish for a more realistic region and geography. The only two games that really nailed this down were Kalos and the combined Kanto-Johto. C'mon, at least Kalos acknowledged that the regions of Gen 1-4 was actually Japanese. And Johto made it clear that it was part of Poke-Japan as well. Shinnoh and Kanto (on its own) didn't have that. Hoenn was worse - it had a complete break from the first two regions, and was way too inaccurate a region; I wish that never happens again.

I can deal with the varying quality of the story - Pokemon's story has always been decent compared to a couple of other Nintendo franchises. Besides, the stories are more or less separate, so there's always the next game. Ditto with the contents - I don't find a majority of the game contents play a huge role beyond pure game play matters, and the ones that do seem to be uniquely tied to the specific region. Geography, on the other hand, is something that is going to stay AND define the Pokemon work as a whole, so I'd rather they be consistently done. And especially when real-life geographic names were spelt out in Gen 1-2, and especially when the real-life cultures/nations were made more explicit in Gen 6, I'd rather they continue this path of realism. The only time I wasn't as harsh was during Gen 5, which I consider as a transitional period when GF seemed to shift its artistic focus and target audience from primarily Japanese to more global.

Personally, I completely disagree here...

We are talking about games. I like games being inspired by real life regions. It makes them nicer. But copying exact things like the Eiffel in PARIS... I think it´s unnecessary, although it´s not a big deal.But If they are planning to make a Pokemon Game IN France, rather than only INSPIRED BY France, they might as well name it France and call Lumiose Paris. But it turns out there are no Pokemon in France. No Gogoat service in Paris... can you imagine? LOL

What i´m saying is: the Pokemon Universe is fictional, so I don´t think it benefits greatly from being very specific about some real-life subjects and elements (Like Arceus being called the creator, or the Eiffel Tower being a Pokemon Gym, or having exact geographic names like Kanto).

But that´s just my opinion.

PD Personally, Hoenn is my favourite region. And I don´t care if it is more or less similar to the Japanese location it´s based on. I just enjoy how suitable for exploration and adventure it is made.

Last edited:
But it turns out there are no Pokemon in France. No Gogoat service in Paris... can you imagine? LOL
Yes, I know that we're playing a Pokémon game. If you look at my previous post carefully, I never said that Pokémon should not appear. I'm just saying that Kalos/Johto's realism should be the ideal for realism in all future regions.

And I've got problems with Hoenn because the inaccuracies are really glaring, and this is even when we take into account that it is a fictional Pokémon game:
- Why a tropical region when Kyushu isn't that far south of Honshu?
- If the tropical feel is that important, then why didn't GF set RSE in a region based on the eastern seaboard of Queensland, or Hawaii, or Guam-Saipan? They're much better regions for a tropical region than Kyushu, Japanese audiences would at least have heard of Hawaii, Guam, or Brisbane-Gold Coast-Cairns and it would have coincided nicely with the gradual globalization of the Pokémon franchise.
- Why is it seem to be in complete isolation (at least in RSE) when they could have implied a better geographic connection with the rest of Poke-Japan. Such as adding Poke-Yamaguchi on the north of Hoenn? Again, setting Hoenn in NE Queensland/Hawaii/Guam-Sapian would at least justify the complete break from Kanto-Johto.
- Most importantly, why this inaccuracy with Hoenn when it is in GF's home turf?

Last edited:
But it turns out there are no Pokemon in France. No Gogoat service in Paris... can you imagine? LOL
Yes, I know that we're playing a Pokémon game. If you look at my previous post carefully, I never said that Pokémon should not appear. I'm just saying that Kalos/Johto's realism should be the ideal for realism in all future regions.

And I've got problems with Hoenn because the inaccuracies are really glaring, and this is even when we take into account that it is a fictional Pokémon game:
- Why a tropical region when Kyushu isn't that far south of Honshu?
- If the tropical feel is that important, then why didn't GF set RSE in a region based on the eastern seaboard of Queensland, or Hawaii, or Guam-Saipan? They're much better regions for a tropical region than Kyushu, Japanese audiences would at least have heard of Hawaii, Guam, or Brisbane-Gold Coast-Cairns and it would have coincided nicely with the gradual globalization of the Pokémon franchise.
- Why is it seem to be in complete isolation (at least in RSE) when they could have implied a better geographic connection with the rest of Poke-Japan. Such as adding Poke-Yamaguchi on the north of Hoenn? Again, setting Hoenn in NE Queensland/Hawaii/Guam-Sapian would at least justify the complete break from Kanto-Johto.
- Most importantly, why this inaccuracy with Hoenn when it is in GF's home turf?

I understand your position, but when a game tries to completely mimic the real world, I start to think... Is Obama the president of Unova, or is Is mr. Eiffel the designer of Lumiose tower? You know, I like a game to take me to a fantastic place, not to a cultural excursion. I repeat, the references to our world are welcomed, I like them, but not when they seem to copy our world completely.
And about Hoenn, It´s meant to be in close relation with Sinnoh, isn´t it? It´s not supposed to be isolated I think. And well, it may be tropical because Groudon has been raging to the point of changing the weather, so in-game the anomalies that bother you can be at least partially explained, but if you are not convinced, respect.

And being a fan of Japanese culture, I welcome their decission of making Hoenn Japan- based, although the Hawaii islands are a good idea for an other Pokemon Region.

Hoenn and Sinnoh fascinate me with their Geography, although ironically they are quite opposite ( a lot of water vs a lot of rock).

Last edited:
Will probably make a longer post at a later date, but for now I'll just make some quick points I'd like to see:

-Drop the over-reliance of the plot on evil team + legendary + gyms. In fact just make gyms a side quest altogether and make the plot less recycled and different to what we've had since like 2003.

-Difficulty modes from the get-go with no weird unlocking like B2W2. Yeah it's an often said request, but B2W2 hard mode was pretty fun and the important characters giving their Pokemon held items )and having extra team members + higher levels) made things a little more challenging. If people don't want a tougher story then they can simply choose normal difficulty.

-Never going to happen, but give us the option between the main playthrough being single, double, triple or rotation battles. Of course the latter two would probably not be implemented until you get a little bit into the game, where you have enough to get a party of three. It would also require lots of time from them, with them essentially making the NPCs have four different teams and having to pay more attention to balancing each playthrough, but this way there's more replay value (do I do hard mode + rotation, do I do normal difficulty + double battles, etc). I know it's a big ask, very unlikely to ever happen and require a lot of work and balancing from them, but it would be a neat inclusion and would give battle styles like rotation their fair share of the spotlight rather than being heavily underutilised like they are now. And we've seen from Colosseum/XD that double battles as a style for a full game can be pretty fun. So don't just restrict it to singles.

Basically, upon clicking "New Game" you'd be given the choice of difficulty (Easy, Normal or Hard) and also battle style for your playthrough (Single, Double, Triple or Rotation).

Won't ever happen and is probably open to a millions problems, but a man can dream.

Will make a better post with other things another time. Probably.

More Pokémon in General. It's an odd-numbered Generation, so at least 130 (Gen. 1 introduced 151, Gen. 3 introduced 135, Gen. 5 introduced 157). More branched evolutions, more cross-generational evolutions, more baby Pokémon, more Mega's.

And I seriously need them to fix a TON of the old Shiny palettes. 95% of them are booger green. Generation 6 gave us some EPIC shinies because they weren't doing a simple palette switch like they did in previous gens, so they need to fix all the shinies that barely look different (Gengar and Pikachu) and fix all the nasty looking green ones (Jolteon, Espeon, etc.)

2) I hope they don't reveal almost all of the New Pokémon in the pre-release period like they did with X & Y. This is especially a big deal for me if there aren't that many new critters, as was the case with X & Y that revealed 42 of 69 New Pokémon that were available at the time of release.
That was one of the major things that disappointed me with ORAS. We got all of the Megas early so we're able to discover any on our own. It was the same with X and Y; we knew ahead of time what we were getting. Hold a few of these back, please. I like discovering some of this stuff on my own or via secondary sources. It's weirdly fun.
3) Please make shiny versions of the PC/mini sprites. I would love and I mean love if they did this. I know its probably not a pet peeve for some but it bothers me so much that they have yet to do this. Just look at these shiny PC/mini sprites someone on reddit made of every Pokémon (they're just amazing)...

H14ZUQb.png
GPX+ can do this and they are unofficial as heck. I don't see why GF can't and I've been waiting for something like that for a very long time.
6) I would love for Butterfree, Ninetales, Jynx, Yanmega, Emolga, Golurk, and Hydreigon to all receive Mega Evolutions (if they don't receive them this generation).
Yes please. I will be a very happy nerd-girl if Mega Golurk happens.
7) No shiny locks to be placed on any of the Legendary Pokémon or any other Pokémon in general. If people want to soft reset for a shiny they should be able to and besides its not like it is stopping people from getting these guys through other means.
THIS.

I am so tired of finding out that mascot Legends have been shiny locked. I was never prouder than the night of July 4, 2007 when I soft reset and successfully caught my shiny Palkia VectorPrym. I love him dearly. But I've been denied that due to the shiny lock.

It is my game, Game Freak. If I want to stall my skidplate in front of that Legend and reset until it sparkles, I should have that option. Shiny locking Legends only irritates players and makes quite a few turn to cheating devices so they can get that shiny. To be quite honest, I've actually toyed with that idea myself.
The story of BW was the best. Yes, it did come down to Team Plasma getting their hands on a legendary and you having to use its counterpart to stop them, but it's the only game in the (main) series where the story is more than just you out to become a Pokemon champion.
I think that's what really struck me about the story in BW: you weren't handed your game-breaking Legend until the absolute very end, when you actually needed it. In Hoenn, Sinnoh and Kalos you're given something that can take down most Gym Leaders' rosters by simply glaring at them while in Unova that wasn't the case. Yes, you needed to catch your mascot Dragon but it was to go up against its counterpart. That was a great change of pace and I'd dearly love to see that again.

I'd also like to see the return of customization. That really shouldn't be a Kalos only exclusive. It was fun to finally change my outfit and pick out my eye, hair and skin tones. Honestly though, it should be expanded upon, as the option we had in X and Y were fairly limited. Give me the chance to play as a deeply dark skinned person or someone with a bit of a yellow cast. That would be awesome to me.

This probably isn't going to happen, but I want to see an entire change in direction for the series. Enough treating casuals/mobile gamers like the only group that matters and make the games so they can appeal to players with various preferences, playstyles, and difficulty levels, it's still possible to prioritize casuals but they don't have to design the game in a way that everyone else suffers. For one, they need to take a new approach to region design so that they can still point you in the right direction without having to remove the exploration from the game. Start with a "skeleton" design for the region similar to what we've been getting lately, but add more optional paths and shortcuts for people that want to explore. Design the routes to have a straightforward layout with a clear beginning and end, but put hidden paths leading to other areas off the beaten path. Second, bring back difficulty modes and make them available from the start, with the harder difficulty modes having reasonable sized rosters with tougher AI.

Content wise, every game from now on should have the following:

-Between 80-120 new Pokemon per generation, with 5-10 cross gen evos, 2 or 3 mascot legendaries, one legendary trio, and 2 or 3 event Pokemon
-A regional dex at least 200-250 Pokemon in size (preferably no more than 300-350 in size).
-25-30 routes, 12-15 cities, and 10-12 dungeons, with at least 5 routes, 3 cities, and 3 dungeons in post game.
-The PSS, Super Training, and Pokemon Amie.
-Trainer customization.
-Some form of a rematch system (preferably Vs. Seeker).
-The DexNav or similar device (I can see the Pokeradar functioning similarly in Z or DP remakes).
-One battle facility in the initial game and at least 2 or 3 in the other games (the extras being nonstandard battle facilities)
-At least 2 side features (Contests, Secret Bases, etc.)

As for new features and mechanic changes:

-Experiment more with changes to the moveset system. Being expected to narrow down to 4 moves for every possible scenario is a little too much to ask. Instead, I think they should play around with the idea of having different movesets for different scenarios. You still have 4 battle moves, but you can also have say, 2 field moves that can only be used in the overworld (they can't be used in battle). They could do similar movesets for other situations, like form changes and Mega Evolutions.
-Overhaul the IV system to make it less RNG dependent and make them easier to notice.
-Tweak the type chart a bit. One minor thing they can do to the type chart that would go a long way to making things more balanced would be to give Ice a resistance to Ground, which improves Ice defensively and hurts Ground offensively (something both of them need) killing two birds with one stone.
-Some type of MMO like co-op mode, similar to the past missions in Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs. At the very least, they should do this with Sinnoh Underground in the DP remakes.
-More of the following types of moves:
-Any Fairy type moves, but especially Physical (we need more than Play Rough)
-Dark moves above 80 BP
-Any offensive Steel type moves, but especially Special
-A Poison type legendary (we're long overdue for one)
-A non-Dragon pseudo legend (I'd go with Fairy).

That's about all I can think of for now.

I want more sideline distractions. Gimme the Pokéthlon in glorious 3D; I won't care if the models only do their basic animations and make it look dorky as hell. Make more mini-games for Amie and Super Training (and not ones that are impossible because they use the camera). Bring back the Game Corner. All you need to do to get past gambling laws is to not require payment to play the machine/game.

The main mascot duo should have contrasting color schemes that aren't red and blue. Reshiram and Zekrom are the only mascot duo with a color contrast focused more on white and black instead, but even they still have red and blue to some extent (their eyes and tail generators).
It would also be nice to have a game that doesn't have exactly eight badges, maybe at least nine or ten. I would also like it if the plot had the villain team be more heavily involved like with the 5th gen, and more post-game stories like the Looker sidequest and the Delta Episode.

Nintendo has a really weird idea of 'innovation'. They think it involves replacing side features every generation. They think it means pulling the focus of the series in all kinds of weird directions--'catch em all' in gens 1 and 2, epic stories and open worlds in gens 3 and 4, more personal storytelling and linearity in gen 5, nostalgia in gen 6. And yet so much of the game has remained completely static.

I'd like to see the following (broad) changes:
Keep the side stuff that works. Primarily this is secret bases and customisation. Also, following Pokemon, but that's increasingly difficult in 3D.
Know what you want the game to be. That is, (within reason) keep your goals consistent across gens. Skyrim and Fallout has always been about huge open worlds. Animal Crossing has always been about randomly generated gameplay. Saints Rows 3+ have always been about utter, insane hilarity.
But vary execution. Obviously the core gameplay has to be kept the same, why must the plot always be identical?

I don't really mind the lack of new Pokemon. Pokemon has enough Pokemon and moves.

Ah.. to be honest I wouldn't change much because I know their target audience is 10 year olds... (though a LOT of teenagers and adults play, which nintendo loves to ignore) so it's hard to list these things because they'll never be done.. but who knows. XD

1. New Pokemon would be nice... but there's already so many. I'd rather have 50~ really good ones than 100 mediocre ones. Considering they couldn't even think of a good design for mega-Flygon.. I have low hope of new Pokemon. XD I want to see new combinations of uncommon types.

2. KEEP THE STUFF THAT WORKS. Character customization, super training, secret bases, etc. We love it, please don't change it.

3. Less HM's...? Maybe instead of 8 keep only 6.. it's a hassle having to rearrange your Pokemon team every single time you realize you need to cut down a damn tree! Plus HM slaves can only learn 4 moves at a time.. This is mostly a pet peeve of mine I guess. XD

4. Big Post-Game. XY barely had one and ORAS didn't even have the battle frontier that I loved so much in Emerald.. :( Gen 7 NEEDS great post-game content. Preferably something new this time. The Looker side quests were pretty good.

I just remembered something else I'd like: A non-bipedal Fire starter. Charizard, Typhlosion (most of the time we see it), Blaziken, Infernape, Emboar and Delphox are all bipedal. Even Fennekin and Tepig turn bipedal which annoys the hell out of me. So can we get a Fire starter that doesn't stand up on its hind legs, please? Also make it somewhat defensive too, as Fire starters are pretty much all all-out offensive (and usually fast), whereas Water and Grass starters both have their fair share of fast + offensive, but also slow + tanky or defensive. Fire has some nice defensive qualities too with its six resistances and being immune to Will-o-Wisp, so there's potential there (look at Heatran for a good example of defensive/tanky Fire-type). So yeah, a non-bipedal, tanky/defensive Fire type starter please, just for a change.

1. New Pokemon would be nice... but there's already so many. I'd rather have 50~ really good ones than 100 mediocre ones.

I'm probably one of the few people that agree with you here. However...

Considering they couldn't even think of a good design for mega-Flygon.. I have low hope of new Pokemon. XD

Flygon was designed over ten years ago and was probably considered "complete" by them at that time. So adding to its design in a meaningful way and it actually looking good for them, is probably a lot harder than creating something new. With something new there's ideas and inspiration everywhere (not to mention there's lots of animals they haven't even touched yet) which is a lot easier to create ideas from because you're not restricted in the same that Megas are restricted. I wouldn't worry about new Pokemon tbh.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom