• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things you want to see done in Sun and Moon

Random but just had a thought: I bet the next region's Pokénav-like device would be a smartphone. Almost surprised they didn't do that already in XY/ORAS.
This would actually make sense considering said devices often act like a phone and do other stuff that smartphones can do now irl (map, radio, "TV"/videos...)

Pokegear says hi.

Pokégear was a watch-like device... not a phone...

Pokegear was a phone. GSC/HGSS. Made phone calls. Had those apps on it.

The watch was the Poketch in DPPt

Random but just had a thought: I bet the next region's Pokénav-like device would be a smartphone. Almost surprised they didn't do that already in XY/ORAS.
This would actually make sense considering said devices often act like a phone and do other stuff that smartphones can do now irl (map, radio, "TV"/videos...)

Pokegear says hi.

Pokégear was a watch-like device... not a phone...

Pokegear was a phone. GSC/HGSS. Made phone calls. Had those apps on it.

The watch was the Poketch in DPPt

Pokénav can do phone calls too... it was not a phone though.
Pokégear looks like watch.
I suggested the next gen's device looking like a smartphone.
That's all.

I've seen a lot of posts regarding the world of Pokemon itself, and I think we can all agree: What needs to be done is there needs to be more details that make the world of Pokemon feel more alive and exciting. So far all it's really been is the real world with monsters in it, and that's really not enough anymore. That might have cut it early on, but it's just not enough, we desire more out of the Pokemon world. History, lore, places to explore, people, all these things that just make the game so much more fun and interesting to experience. Adding sitting on benches doesn't quite cut it. We've kind of been getting the same thing since RBY, and the Pokemon world itself has never really been expanded upon or anything like that. All the Pokemon world feels like is a bunch of strangely isolated regions and towns connected by routes, and it's just getting so boring. XY felt lifeless because of this, because with the jump from 2D to 3D a lot of people expected the world to just open up to us a little more, give us a little more freedom instead of confining us and taking us on a tour through Disney World. That's all I got to say.

I've seen a lot of posts regarding the world of Pokemon itself, and I think we can all agree: What needs to be done is there needs to be more details that make the world of Pokemon feel more alive and exciting. So far all it's really been is the real world with monsters in it, and that's really not enough anymore. That might have cut it early on, but it's just not enough, we desire more out of the Pokemon world.

I feel like they made a small attempt at this in ORAS with the Wingull flying above you and sitting on the beach, hopefully in the next game they go much more in depth with it though. I would definitely love to see more different types of Pokemon running around in the wild, not just Wingull.

History, lore, places to explore, people, all these things that just make the game so much more fun and interesting to experience. Adding sitting on benches doesn't quite cut it. We've kind of been getting the same thing since RBY, and the Pokemon world itself has never really been expanded upon or anything like that. All the Pokemon world feels like is a bunch of strangely isolated regions and towns connected by routes, and it's just getting so boring. XY felt lifeless because of this, because with the jump from 2D to 3D a lot of people expected the world to just open up to us a little more, give us a little more freedom instead of confining us and taking us on a tour through Disney World. That's all I got to say.

I definitely agree lore and history need to be more explored, it feels like they only really explore the history if its related to a legendary Pokemon. Games like The Witcher series have really long and deep lore so it would be great to see something similar for Pokemon :D

Agreeing with lore and history.

I loved Sinnoh for that reason. It felt like everything in game tied in nicely with plot/bad guys in a coherent way, if that makes sense. And I loved that you could actually read all the mythology books at the Canalave library. I've never forgotten those stories. Little touches like that are what make Pokemon games magic.

This is rather inconsequential, but a female evil team leader. We have our first female champion and regional professor, why not our first female main villain?

Opt out of all tutorials. What would be so hard to program a YES/NO option?
A key item that increases the level of all trainer's teams post-E4
More non-legendaries with forme changes
Changes to Pokemon availability based on day of the week. i.e Sentret's are more common on route 1 on weekends or something.
Baby Pokemon that offer a wider movepool for the final evolution i.e. a pupa Scyther that gives it access to some poison or grass moves.

Opt out of all tutorials. What would be so hard to program a YES/NO option?

THIIIIIIS.

Like I know kids play the games and might not know how to catch Pokemon but for some of us it's been 15 years and if we don't know by now we never will.

B-to-walk instead of B-to-run. has this been said? i feel with running shoes being more or less retconned out, there should be an option to change the movement (similar to how in HGSS you can toggle walk/run instead of holding B). alternatively, if Roller Skates become a staple, B-to-skate over circle pad would be nice.

I'm using Strength in X today, and was reminded how tedious and annoying stopping after every step is. What I want in the next gen is for boulders to be spherical (maybe varying sizes) and when you start pushing them they roll and keep rolling, therefore you don't stop automatically after every step. You can choose when to stop pushing. The round shape may be used for rolling them down slopes for some interesting puzzles.

I know many people have said a better story, and I think we can all agree on that. I'd like to see something with a little more depth that lends itself to post game play. I had this idea (and sorry if it's been said) of finding out that one of the gym leaders is secretly working with / the leader of the "evil" organization of the region and being asked as the new champion to assume their position as a gym leader. Being able to become part of the larger universe instead of constantly just going from newbie > hero > champion and the game ending would be fun.

I don't know about a better story. I feel like the story of Pokemon is more or less determined by our experiences rather than a set of events the game tells us. I feel like having a more fleshed out story would detract from the individuality of each person's experience.

I don't know about a better story. I feel like the story of Pokemon is more or less determined by our experiences rather than a set of events the game tells us. I feel like having a more fleshed out story would detract from the individuality of each person's experience.
i agree with this so much. i appreciate GameFreak for trying a more story-centric game with BW, and for a first attempt it was pretty good, but there were just times where the story just felt overbearing; like, i felt that i couldn't take two steps on my own without the game trying to make something happen. for example, when you first arrive in Nacrene City and Cheren drags you to the Pokemon Center, gives you some berries, and tells you that Lenora uses Normal-types. though i appreciated the berries (because Hypnosis), that entire interaction just felt so forced. XY almost suffers from something like this, but i feel like they did a decent job of cutting down the sort of "interactions for the sake of interaction."

i agree with this so much. i appreciate GameFreak for trying a more story-centric game with BW, and for a first attempt it was pretty good, but there were just times where the story just felt overbearing; like, i felt that i couldn't take two steps on my own without the game trying to make something happen. for example, when you first arrive in Nacrene City and Cheren drags you to the Pokemon Center, gives you some berries, and tells you that Lenora uses Normal-types. though i appreciated the berries (because Hypnosis), that entire interaction just felt so forced. XY almost suffers from something like this, but i feel like they did a decent job of cutting down the sort of "interactions for the sake of interaction."

This is similar to the thing that's been happening in a lot of games where every five steps you get a cutscene or some dialogue or whatever. Last gen games had a HUGE problem with forced interactions. I feel like Pokemon is a game that has no use for forced interactions in any form. I think a good solution would be to disassociate the plot a little more, meaning that the game has a plot but it's not so forced on you, maybe even in a sort of Dark Souls manner where plot is optional. You can either play the game because YOU want to catch Xerneas, or you can play the game because you know Xerneas is going to shoot his ATF at the world and destroy everything and you know you have to stop it.

Like, in X and Y it would have been nice if throughout the game you were just dropped hints as to what's going on with the legendary through reading books or something, so if you care about the plot at all you have it there and it works. And if you don't care about the plot and just want a cool big Pokemon, well you can do that too.

A flaw to this, however, is that this would likely mean that having an enemy Team wouldn't make sense, as they are the ones who generally ARE the plot, and having them be something optional would just be weird, making them a side-quest essentially.

But, that could also work. Having the main plot as a sort of side-quest would allow players to play how they want and complete the story at their own pace, granted they want to. I feel like the main focus of Pokemon should be about the adventure and romance of being a young trainer bonding with their Pokemon and conquering the E4 and all that junk, and as I mentioned before, having a forced plot sort of detracts from that by minimizing the individuality of your experience. Having the main story as a side-quest would be a welcome shift in my opinion, as another reason I'm not fond of the forced plots is that GF has no idea what "pacing" is. Some plot encounters happen too close or too far apart, as opposed to consistently. I think a good example is Wally in RSE/ORAS (Especially in ORAS)(By the way he's not the main plot but this is a good example). In the game, you fight Wally two times: Once in Mauville and once elsewhere (I can't remember). Both times you fight him are very early in the game, and then suddenly for the entire rest of the game you don't see him again until Victory Road, and by that time you've forgotten he existed entirely. Rather than an opponent you test your skill against constantly throughout the game as a rival, he's just a stranger you battle for reasons, and this is all because of a lack of pacing.

Whew, I think I got a bit sidetracked, but that's how I feel on the matter.

I started replaying HeartGold and it reminded me of a few features I'd like to see. Being able to catch certain Pokemon at different times of days (in HGSS it is Morning, afternoon and night) is something I'd love to return. It makes sense that some Pokemon are nocturnal and should only be found at night, it also adds to the immersion and realism. Does everyone else miss this feature of was it annoying for some?

I'd also like to see Pokemon catching contests like the Bug Catching contest from HGSS. We should have a Pokemon fishing contest and the winner get a unique fishing rod that could have a greater chance of catching shiny Pokes or something like that :D

B-to-walk instead of B-to-run. has this been said? i feel with running shoes being more or less retconned out, there should be an option to change the movement (similar to how in HGSS you can toggle walk/run instead of holding B). alternatively, if Roller Skates become a staple, B-to-skate over circle pad would be nice.

I agree with this too. I want running to be the 'norm' and walking to be done whilst holding B, as I like to walk in the game during pre-dramatic events or exploring an area slowly. It's so annoying holding down B still to run, after they gave the option to keep it permanent in HGSS (but of course they always add and remove certain features each gen).

I personally would like the Roller skates to be optional. They annoyed me so, so much in XY, probably because I'm also super bad at skating in real life lol. Roller skates as a key item like the bike please. Possibly also some other cool modes of transport, like a skateboard or a hoverboard would be pretty awesome.

I don't think this is ever going to happen, but I would like to see the basic storyline of beat gyms -> twarth the evil team and force them to disband -> become the champion. This can be done in many ways so don't pin me down on this example, but to illustrate a possibillity:

I was always very interested in mew, even though he got very little in-game lore compared to other mythics/legendaries. First gen thought us that mew has the dna of all the pokemon, and that an expedition into the jungles of South America led to the discovery of mew and the creation of mewtwo. So I'd like to start my story in a new region based on Brasil/Argentina (USA would be possible, but that was already done in Black/White). Your father is a pokemon professor leading a team of researches interested in the discovery of new pokemon. Because the amazonian jungles are very inhospitable, they are working on an all terrain vehicle able to cross the jungle. This vehicle, for example, will be able to float on water, cross rocky terrain and even climb waterfall. However, budget is low, and they are in need for money. Since you appear to be talented as a pokemon trainer, your father offers you to choose one of his pokemon and visit different cities to win pokemon tournaments to collect money for his project. As you win more tournaments, new functions will be added to the ATV (replacing the need for HM's), allowing you to discover more and more of the world. In the post game, you explore formerly hidden parts of the jungle, where you are able to track down new pokemon and legendaries. Finally you can find (and are able to capture) mew, who has a mega-evolution.

Now this is just an example of doing a pokemon game with a slightly different story, and it might suck even. But I would like to twist the story a little, while still holding on to the basics of pokemon.

Maybe we can have a Hoopa and the Clash of Ages like thing in Gen 7. There's an actual evil Pokémon or something as the antagonist. There can also be this huge battle between legendaries. I would really like to see a Pokémon antagonist.

I want for them to actually take their time and develop a well thought out, content packed game. I don't know if anyone else felt this, but to me X and Y felt extremely rushed. Only about 70 new Pokemon, an almost nonexistant post game, limited customization options, and a story that felt like it was supposed to be deep, but they didn't get into it enough. ORAS added a lot of stuff to fix that, but you shouldn't have to wait for a second game to fix the problems.

I want for them to actually take their time and develop a well thought out, content packed game. I don't know if anyone else felt this, but to me X and Y felt extremely rushed. Only about 70 new Pokemon, an almost nonexistant post game, limited customization options, and a story that felt like it was supposed to be deep, but they didn't get into it enough. ORAS added a lot of stuff to fix that, but you shouldn't have to wait for a second game to fix the problems.

XY did had a post game. Looker missions, legendary hunting, Kiloude City, regional and national pokemon catching. The story was fine and I think XY was the best of gen 6 currently. ORAS however was disappointing due to: No gym leader rematches, no Battle Frontier, trainers in secret bases only use 6 pokemon, mega stones for Garchomp and Lucario were made difficult to catch, Kyogre and Groudon are version exclusives, Delta Episode was a joke, the rest of the non-event pokemon jammed into the game especially the legendaries and a copy and paste story with minor alterations.

In gen 7 I want to see a original story and better post game than ORAS. Dark type gym would be nice as long as there is a dragon gym. Another evil team that involves a legendary pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom