• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things you want to see done in Sun and Moon

For the love of God, I want to see HMs GONE. It's so frustrating that I can't have a completely decent moveset for most of my Pokémon because I have to waste move slots to those useless moves. Why would I ever want to teach Cut to my Pokémon? Or Rock Smash? This was the one thing that kept HeartGold from being perfect to me, my poor Feraligatr was an HM slave (Surf, Waterfall, Whirlpool and Cut!!!!). It's just ridiculous.

For the love of God, I want to see HMs GONE. It's so frustrating that I can't have a completely decent moveset for most of my Pokémon because I have to waste move slots to those useless moves. Why would I ever want to teach Cut to my Pokémon? Or Rock Smash? This was the one thing that kept HeartGold from being perfect to me, my poor Feraligatr was an HM slave (Surf, Waterfall, Whirlpool and Cut!!!!). It's just ridiculous.
Don't hold your breath. It fits in with the whole 'trainers and Pokemon work together' thing that Game Freak always pushes. Hell, Gens 5-6 are very HM light and even the ones used are fairly good. So I imagine that HMs aren't going anywhere, but you probably won't 'need' the bad ones (Defog, Whirlpool, Dive, Cut, Rock Smash, Rock Climb) anymore.

You know what I want to see, or rather hear? ALL Pokemon get their own unique voice like Pikachu.
That wouldn't translate very well because many Pokemon have entirely different names in other languages. Pikachu is an exception because it's one of the few Pokemon to have kept its name in every language.

To make matters worse sometimes there are so many HM's required for the storyline that you need more than one Pokemon to use them all. It is so annoying that each time I play Platinum I am forced to have an HM slave take up a spot on my team.

From the look of X&Y, we may be seeing the end of pathetic HM moves being compulsory. Very few times did we actually NEED to use them (I can noly remember the rocks north of Mauville at the moment), every other time was optional for like a TM or a Rare Candy or something. We haven't needed Whirlpool since Johto, Defog saw its one and only use in gen IV, and with the way that the darkness works now, Flash is pretty much unneeded even it places it's supposed to be helpful. Yes we needed to use Dive in ORAS, but that's just because RSE required it. All the remaining HM moves are actually rather decent moves in their own right, I don't mind giving my Pokemon Surf, Strength, or Waterfall, and even voluntarily put it on Pokemon I won't use to navigate the region, simply because 90-80 base power is nothing to scoff at. But I still do think that we'll be able to get mostly through the region without needing to use the truly horrible ones.

That wouldn't translate very well because many Pokemon have entirely different names in other languages. Pikachu is an exception because it's one of the few Pokemon to have kept its name in every language.
I don't think it would be that difficult to do, but they can just take the extra time to do it for all 9 languages the game can be played in.

I don't think it would be that difficult to do, but they can just take the extra time to do it for all 9 languages the game can be played in.
That would require voice-over dubbing, which is actually a very expensive endeavor to do, especially for the number of Pokemon. Consider also the number of languages that would require it. It is more cost-effective and just plain easier to use the computer-generated sounds we've always had.

People use their voices, people need to get paid for their work. You can't say that the voice of pikachu isn't making bank off of one little cry that went into now 4 massive selling games. Imagine all 720+ with all their foreign languages done as well...too much $$$, the cries are fine...

I don't want to see them get rid of HMs, they add too much to the overworld. Instead, what they should do is come up with a way to use them without giving up a move slot. HMs are very useful and open up the potential for more puzzles, but having to either erase a good battle move or swap in an HM slave is incredibly annoying. If we can use the field abilities without having to teach them a mediocre battle move, then there's no problem.

I agree with Bolt. I really think that getting rid of HMs wouldn't be beneficial. But creating a way to not need them when going throughout the region (except for surfing) and then needing them for post game exploring would be nice.

HM should be replaced with Key Items. That way they don't waste a moveslot, but can still be a reward you receive at a certain point in the game to go to new areas previously unreachable.

Alternatively, since they are technically moves, Pokémon should have the option to learn Cut, Flash etc exclusively as field moves. Almost like additional move slots that aren't accessible in battle, but can be utilized in the overworld. Except that would still force us to use Cut-able and Flash-able and Surf-able Pokémon during every playthrough and maybe some of us just want NOT to use a Water type, huh?

My answer to the HM topic would be what @ewormPL said: implement Key Items. A lantern instead of Flash, a surfboard instead of Surf, a hammer instead of Rock Smash, a blade instead of Cut, a jetpack or something similar instead of Fly, and so on. I just hate having to waste move slots for useless things like Cut, Defog, Whirlpool or Rock Smash. Waterfall, Surf, Strength and Fly are, however, decent in my opinion.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom