• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things you want to see done in Sun and Moon

I love how everyone thinks you always need a water type for surfing, have you guys never heard of Snorlax, or Nidoking, or Aggron, or a decent number of others?

Also, I'm entertaining the idea of shininess becoming hereditary. As in, a shiny parent is more likely to produce shiny offspring. Sort of like Masuda method or shiny charm. I always figured that, from a biological perspective, Pokemon became shiny due to a genetic mutation resulting in a colour different to what is normal for their species, and that there would be a chance for the mutated DNA to be passed onto the offspring. It'd just be something to make shiny hunting a little easier.

I love how everyone thinks you always need a water type for surfing, have you guys never heard of Snorlax, or Nidoking, or Aggron, or a decent number of others?

I think it's largely because Surf is taught to water types for the STAB bonus. Though I admit, I often forget about those other types as well.

I could have sworn shininess was already hereditary, but it may not be. I remember a friend once telling me it was because he had a shiny Ditto. I do agree though that it would be a nice addition.

I could have sworn shininess was already hereditary, but it may not be. I remember a friend once telling me it was because he had a shiny Ditto. I do agree though that it would be a nice addition.

It's not. We have the Masuda method which increases the chance of hatching a shiny, but it's still extraordinarily low.

Shininess is absolutely not hereditary, so your friend must have been lying, but I have always thought that it should be as well.

Shininess is absolutely not hereditary, so your friend must have been lying, but I have always thought that it should be as well.

It was kinda true in Gen II since shinyness was determined by DVs which are the predecessors to IVs. And like IVs parents had a good chance of passing them down when breeding.

After my post 52 pages ago, there's a few simples things I'd really like to see which are

- Seasons that change each week or month
- Time of day affecting which Pokemon are able to be caught
- Fishing/Bug catching contest
- DEXNAV IS A MUST
- Losing to rivals and story continues
- Take screenshots at any point that can be saved to SD card or even add a cloud feature to your Nintendo account.

I'm sure I'll think of more but that's all for now.

I think the idea of blacking out and having to battle someone again is sort of weird either way. I'd like to have a rival at least, who is able to win, instead of me blacking out and getting a new chance...

It definitely is weird and we should be able to lose to any trainer imo. It would make losing to your rival more interesting though considering how you always have to be the better one in the games and can never be the underdog.

- Seasons that change each week or month
- Time of day affecting which Pokemon are able to be caught

Having both of these would probably be overkill, I mean imagine if you have a Pokemon that only appears during a particular time of day AND a particular season (like say, Volbeat and Illumise can only be found during summer nights), that would be hell.

Every gym leader might be a bit much. The first gym leader having 6 pokemon would be tough. If there was a gradual increase and the last two or three leaders had six, that would be much better

Rather than a full team of 6, it may be more challenging to have a limit on the amount of Pokemon you can use. So for the first gym, 2 on 2 and then 3 on 3 from there on.

Having both of these would probably be overkill, I mean imagine if you have a Pokemon that only appears during a particular time of day AND a particular season (like say, Volbeat and Illumise can only be found during summer nights), that would be hell.

For me the seasons would be more about aesthetics. The time of day is enough for me when it comes to limiting what times the Pokemon are able to be caught. I agree that seasons plus time of day may get annoying at times.

For me the seasons would be more about aesthetics. The time of day is enough for me when it comes to limiting what times the Pokemon are able to be caught. I agree that seasons plus time of day may get annoying at times.

That's a lot of effort for something that's pure aesthetics.

Rather than a full team of 6, it may be more challenging to have a limit on the amount of Pokemon you can use. So for the first gym, 2 on 2 and then 3 on 3 from there on.
Seeing as I generally only need one or two Pokemon to sweep a gym leader's entire team, this makes no difference to me.

It was kinda true in Gen II since shinyness was determined by DVs which are the predecessors to IVs. And like IVs parents had a good chance of passing them down when breeding.
Right. My friend was talking about GSC specifically when he told me that. He may have just mistakenly believed it was carried over to other generations.

Last edited:
I think the idea of blacking out and having to battle someone again is sort of weird either way. I'd like to have a rival at least, who is able to win, instead of me blacking out and getting a new chance...
I agree. If it's just some random NPC trainer it makes sense that if you lose to them you have to pay the winner and go back for healing (presumably, they do the same) and they'll probably challenge you again next time you meet. But when the battle is a fixed point in the story, how important REALLY is it that the player emerge victorious? If it was really just a friendly match and the rival was going to heal your Pokemon after the battle ANYWAY, why is the player required to be the very best ... because no one ever was? Seriously.

I know the player is conditioned to expect this since RPG battles have life or death outcomes by default, but that's explicitly not the case in main series Pokemon. And it likely contributes to why too many fans write gamefics with Mary-Sue protagonists who never lose (except for the occasional case where they are so over-obviously outmatched it's ridiculous).

Last edited:
I got an idea - a gym leader that allows you to pick the type of battle you want between you and them: Double, Triple, Rotation or Inverse battle.
I actually think this is a fun idea. It would be really unique and hasnt been done before.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom