• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things you wish that did NOT happen in the anime

Honestly if I have anything that isn't already here (though I do dislike losses and releases, I am not going to rant on them. I hold that only Cameron was a bad loss, though Ritchie isn't that far from being bad), it's declaring Ash to be 10 years old in BW and other media since then.

...The Vague age thing was fine frankly, and it gets brought up and reinforced later like Marvel and One More Day.

Though I must admit that if they ever had a spinoff series, manga or anime or what not with an older Ash, I'd retract that.

The Pikachu talking scene made my stomach acid go into nuclear meltdown mode, but even that dreadful scene isn't too bad in retrospect since it's not canon. :love:

Definitely Iris being annoying. There is this thing called character development people enjoy seeing. Iris could've been better in the anime, and that is merciful compared to other things I can say about her.

At least she had more development than Mallow, Lana, and Sophocles combined have had thus far. inb4 someone complains about Dragonite

The Ritchie, Cameron and Tobias thing left a bad taste in my mouth. Dawn winning over May which makes no sense for the Wallace Cup; I still felt that she needed more practice but that's my overall opinion on the subject; BW as a whole.

I'm also kinda salty at the whole Norman forgives his wife, May and Brock for believing that he was cheating on Caroline. Like Brock I can somewhat forgive since he didn't really know Norman as much or as long as Caroline and May, but the fact they thought the worst of him without even talking to him or even giving him a chance to give his side just... I don't know, it did no favours in trying to make me like Caroline.

Team Rocket attacking Ash before his league battle with Ritchie. Just no... It was one of the worst ways for Ash to lose (second to only Cameron).

Personally I'd swap the two position if I ever list the worst five league matches (5: Ash v Morrison, 4: Alain v Trevor, 3: Ash v Astrid, 2: Ritchie v Ash, 1: Cameron v Ash) because at least the fights that happened didn't feel like a bad throwback and oddly rushed.

Personally I'd swap the two position if I ever list the worst five league matches (5: Ash v Morrison, 4: Alain v Trevor, 3: Ash v Astrid, 2: Ritchie v Ash, 1: Cameron v Ash) because at least the fights that happened didn't feel like a bad throwback and oddly rushed.

"Second to Ash vs Cameron" implied:
1. Ash vs Cameron
2. Ash vs Ritchie

Which is identical to how you listed your rankings...

Would someone bother to frankly explain what went so wrong with BW series? I know how it was downgraded after Hoenn and Sinnoh journeys, how Ash reset himself and brought unevolved Pokémon trend back, et cetera. The wasted Team Rocket VS Team Plasma arc didn't help at all either. There are flows in Axew's developement, Cilan's unexplained fear of Purrloin or Unova League as a whole. But there are improvements in the series, as well. I personally think the personalities of Pokémon have never been so strong other than being a loyal member of its trainer's team. I am not saying BW series was somehow great, but I always thought the hate towards BW series is overrated, unless someone lets me see what I am missing. *shrug*

Last edited:
88839CD9-7378-491F-B6B3-81B559792DF2.jpeg
What was the point of Grovyle’s evolution if they were just going to make him forget all of his attacks? Sure, he learns them again, but forgetting them in the first place was just a waste of time.

View attachment 113705 What was the point of Grovyle’s evolution if they were just going to make him forget all of his attacks? Sure, he learns them again, but forgetting them in the first place was just a waste of time.
Didn't he 'forget' them because he lost out on love with that Meganium? Emotions can be a pretty strong thing.

I personally wish they didn't get Ash a Torterra. It battle record was horrible after Turtwig evolved and it made Paul's Torterra teaching him to 'wait and find an opening' completely worthless considering it never did that. Should have been just Paul who had one, its likely his strongest Pokemon but we didn't even get to see the big guy in the League. I wonder if the battle between him and Ash would have been different if Paul sent out his starter?

I personally wish they didn't get Ash a Torterra. It battle record was horrible after Turtwig evolved and it made Paul's Torterra teaching him to 'wait and find an opening' completely worthless considering it never did that. Should have been just Paul who had one, its likely his strongest Pokemon but we didn't even get to see the big guy in the League. I wonder if the battle between him and Ash would have been different if Paul sent out his starter?

I think the issue was Infernape hogging up the focus around the time Grotle evolved. Things would’ve been fine if they remembered that Torterra exists.

I also liked the subplot of Torterra training Grotle. Too bad it was ignored after the initial training.

Personally I began to like Torterra as a species by seeing Ash’s Torterra in the anime so...

Overall, Ash’s Torterra imo deserved much more focus, and that’d been a better alternative to Ash not having one at all.

I think the issue was Infernape hogging up the focus around the time Grotle evolved. Things would’ve been fine if they remembered that Torterra exists.

I also liked the subplot of Torterra training Grotle. Too bad it was ignored after the initial training.

Personally I began to like Torterra as a species by seeing Ash’s Torterra in the anime so...

Overall, Ash’s Torterra imo deserved much more focus, and that’d been a better alternative to Ash not having one at all.
OMG, how could I forget about the wasted opportunity that is Grotle/Torterra? As Turtwig, he was actually a pretty good battler, but then, his evolutions came, and he started losing all the time. This led to numerous fan jokes about how useless he is. But at least Ash’s Torterra made me love the species as a whole, so, I guess that’s a positive thing.

Another example of this situation that I’d like to bring up is when Ash caught Noibat. Just like before, when Noibat evolved into Noivern, he started getting defeated all the time. It’s a shame, too. I love Noivern so much, and I just wish he got treated better. ☹️

Everyone hates the Pikachu talking scene in I choose you (I do too), but I really disliked the Ash in real life scene a lot more. I really wish they would have left that out.

More than anything I wish the SM series wouldn't have happened the way it did. ~but since it has, I wish Steenee wouldn't have evolved (adorable -> creepy)

I wish May wouldn't have caught the Kanto starters (I know FRLG promotion, but this is a wishes thing) and instead would have caught that Swablu and eventually evolved it, and also maybe would have caught a Kirlia.

I wish Chikorita would have never evolved (although I love the evolution scene, its just my favorite Pokemon, so I didn't want it to evolve)

I wish Brock wouldn't have had to give back Vulpix (and that he would have used it more)

I wish they hadn't said Ash was 10 in BW001 and just left it ambiguous.

Last edited:
Everyone hates the Pikachu talking scene in I choose you (I do too), but I really disliked the Ash in real life scene a lot more. I really wish they would have left that out.

Lol, I guess I'm the exact opposite. I liked the real-life scene and I didn't mind the Pikachu talking scene...in Japanese. That's mainly because I'm a big fan of Ikue Otani so I pretty much just heard Pikachu with Tony Tony Chopper's voice!

Would someone bother to frankly explain what went so wrong with BW series? I know how it was downgraded after Hoenn and Sinnoh journeys, how Ash reset himself and brought unevolved Pokémon trend back, et cetera. The wasted Team Rocket VS Team Plasma arc didn't help at all either. There are flows in Axew's developement, Cilan's unexplained fear of Purrloin or Unova League as a whole. But there are improvements in the series, as well. I personally think the personalities of Pokémon have never been so strong other than being a loyal member of its trainer's team. I am not saying BW series was somehow great, but I always thought the hate towards BW series is overrated, unless someone lets me see what I am missing. *shrug*
Severe lack of the character within my name.

Also Cameron.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom