• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things you wish that did NOT happen in the anime

And this is why I just cannot stand Z-moves in the anime whatsoever. They’re not the worst thing in the world game wise but anime wise they keep pulling crap like this and due to that there’s little to no stakes to the point where I can’t even hereby pronounce them stakes.

It’s as if Ash’s team is somehow immortal when it comes to the Z-move team.
I'd rather have this than how it is in the games, tbh.

Iris getting a Dragonite. I love her as a character, but she was better off getting a Dratini and evolving it. That would have displayed her competence as a Dragon trainer much better.

Iris calling Ash a kid too much...they should have toned it down. I felt Iris was right to call him out when he made mistakes that he learned from in previous arcs, but calling him a kid for things that he doesn’t know much about the Unova region was uncalled for.

May getting tricked by Harley. I know May isn’t the brightest, but she looked like an idiot.

Max joining May in her journey. He was better off as a side character that would pop up every now and then.

Ash losing the Indigo League in such a humiliating way.

Ash losing to Trip at the Tournament . He should have won. Matter fact, Ash losing to Trip at all. He shouldn’t be losing to rookie trainers like Trip.

Ash losing to Cameron at the Unova League. I would rather seen him lose to someone else like Stephan.

Jessie being a part of the Team Rocket Trio...I would rather have Cassidy instead of her.

Ash losing to Trip at the Tournament . He should have won. Matter fact, Ash losing to Trip at all. He shouldn’t be losing to rookie trainers like Trip.

I'd have settled for a bit more...parity. Say having the first match be what it was canonically, second be a tie, and the third be a win for Ash. Or at least giving Ash a clear win before the league.

...He had those over Paul lest we forget: why not have a Pokeringer contest again or an equiv?

I'd have settled for a bit more...parity. Say having the first match be what it was canonically, second be a tie, and the third be a win for Ash. Or at least giving Ash a clear win before the league.

...He had those over Paul lest we forget: why not have a Pokeringer contest again or an equiv?

That’s fair enough. To be honest though, I don’t like Trip. He comes off as a boring and bland rival compared to Paul. The only time I liked him was when he told Ash about Oshawott’s issues with Aqua Jet and the times he felt bad for losing. That gave Trip more depth.

That’s fair enough. To be honest though, I don’t like Trip. He comes off as a boring and bland rival compared to Paul. The only time I liked him was when he told Ash about Oshawott’s issues with Aqua Jet and the times he felt bad for losing. That gave Trip more depth.

...If you combined Trip and Gary, you might have a decent second to Paul of the Pre Gen 6 rivals, but together you don't.

Always thought Shooty to be a lame Shigeru-Shinji combination. His arrogant way and the way he talks to Satoshi reminds me more of Shigeru than Shinji for example.

However his lack of background sure makes him look like an arrogant jerk for no reason at all. I mean just after meeting Satoshi he already insults him (why exactly is never said).

Not mentioning the way the show handled him... At first an overpowered rookie, then someone who loses two Don George tournaments while still in the first round (the second time to Belle, which's never been shown as a really competent trainer), and then back to overpower during the Junior Cup. I'm gonna ignore his battle against Satoshi in the league, that's not worth mentioning...

Always thought Shooty to be a lame Shigeru-Shinji combination. His arrogant way and the way he talks to Satoshi reminds me more of Shigeru than Shinji for example.

However his lack of background sure makes him look like an arrogant jerk for no reason at all. I mean just after meeting Satoshi he already insults him (why exactly is never said).

Not mentioning the way the show handled him... At first an overpowered rookie, then someone who loses two Don George tournaments while still in the first round (the second time to Belle, which's never been shown as a really competent trainer), and then back to overpower during the Junior Cup. I'm gonna ignore his battle against Satoshi in the league, that's not worth mentioning...

Hey, at least Trip v Ash is no longer the worst defeat of a fully evolved Grass-type starter in the league anymore.

...If you combined Trip and Gary, you might have a decent second to Paul of the Pre Gen 6 rivals, but together you don't.

Well you can say that. I don’t hate Trip either...it’s just that I felt he was wasted potential (this is how I feel about Iris and Cilan as well even though I like them). I mean, Trip lacks a backstory (like someone else mentioned). Also, while Gary and Paul would always accept battles from Ash, Trip would just turn them down. I found that just... wrong because usually the rivals in Pokemon are always eager to battle you.

Iris getting a Dragonite. I love her as a character, but she was better off getting a Dratini and evolving it. That would have displayed her competence as a Dragon trainer much better.

That would have made Dragonite feel much more earned for Iris, but I can see why that didn't happen. If they weren't interested in having Axew evolve, despite how that was initially established as Iris's goal, then they wouldn't have had her evolve another Dragon Pokemon like Dratini.

Chika234 said:
Iris calling Ash a kid too much...they should have toned it down. I felt Iris was right to call him out when he made mistakes that he learned from in previous arcs, but calling him a kid for things that he doesn’t know much about the Unova region was uncalled for.

That was definitely part of the problem with her catchphrase. There were plenty of times where Ash was confused over aspects of the Unova region that he obviously wouldn't know about. Plus, Iris was often just as immature as Ash, if not more so in some cases, so she really had no room to get on his case about being a kid.

Chika234 said:
May getting tricked by Harley. I know May isn’t the brightest, but she looked like an idiot.

Max joining May in her journey. He was better off as a side character that would pop up every now and then.

I didn't mind Harley tricking May during their first encounter. She would be more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt the first time around, but falling for the same trick during the Grand Festival definitely didn't make her look good. As for Max, I don't think that I dislike him as much as a lot of fans do, but he was still one of the weaker elements of AG to say the least. He had some good moments and episodes, but I don't think he added a whole lot to AG, so I would have been fine if he wasn't part of the main cast.

Chika234 said:

I think that the idea of Ash losing to a rookie trainer isn't inherently bad. The problem really comes down to how they made Trip so ridiculously overpowered at first just to keep Ash as the underdog character. For all of my issues with Ash's rivalry with Sawyer in XY, that was a much better take on the rookie rival concept. Trip just seemed like a poor man's Gary mixed in with a bit of Paul's attitude. There was no weight to their rivalry and Trip was just downright boring. I still think it was a much smarter idea to have Ash vs. Trip in the Unova League as a one-on-one match just so that they could write Trip out of the series faster.

Palpitoad.

What’s

the goddamn

point

of that thing

To be fair, I think that could apply to a lot of Ash's BW Pokemon. Even Unfeazant became so bland and forgettable despite being Ash's first capture in the series. He caught a lot more Pokemon than he normally does, but since so many of them rarely showed up, their presence and impact in BW felt pretty minimal. That's why I think that the issue with BW Ash isn't so much that he has regressed in his skills so much as he lacks a consistent team. If he wasn't swapping Pokemon ever so often and each Pokemon got a better amount of time to shine, I think his BW team would be better and stronger, or at the very least more memorable than it currently is.

I really like BW, and was very happy about the idea of Satoshi catching more than 5 Pokemon and finally to rotate his team (why he didn't do it in Kanto or Jouto I'll never understand... He barely got Heracross, sends him to Orchid as to have space for his Kentaros, and then leaves it there? Huh?)

However the balance of spotlight or skills was very bad indeed. While the starters got a lot of screentime, only one of them evolved. Most of the reserves (Kenhallow, Hahakomori, Gamagaru and Glantle) had little to no battles and appearances and three of those reached the final level with nearly no training. As far as I remember the first, and only, battle Hatoboh participated was the one she evolved lol. Same with Dangoro and Kurumiru. Heck Gamagaru participated in only 4 battles after his capture.

Back in 2013 I thought they were gonna use the N and Decolora arc to focus, even if a little, on those ignored reserves, but no. None of them appeared at all I believe (not counting the final episode)

Best Wishes, the XY episode : "The Tiny Caretaker" (and some other XY Yukiyoshi Ohashi episodes because of OOC TR)

Ash references a piplup he once knew in a magikarp Filler episode

The lack of callbacks (completely accidental on the animator's part) helps make XY its own enclosed thing that doesn't have to rely on nostalgia, which was a nice - if unintentional - touch

I really disagree with this.

The lack of callbacks/continuity made the Kalos League feel a lot smaller then it should be.

And the Alola League is any better.
[Sarcasm] Of course it's better, because it has more episodes, more battles, and shows off the classmates' growth [/sarcasm]

Longer isn't always better, especially when 2/3rds are quarter-baked and have about as much effort put into them as the entirety of the BW saga

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom