• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Thinking on starting to play the TCG

Reaction score
Hi!

I played the TCG at the very beginning, when only 1st, Jungle and Fossil existed. I was then a Magic player, and while the Pokémon TCG craze lasted only a few months on my area, my group left Magic as well a couple of years later. Last year I got into Magic again, and lately I've been talking with a friend who is quite a Pokémon player, and well, I'm interested in the game (unfortunately, I don't live in the same city he does).

For what I've seen, the game has changed quite a bit from then. Is it really enjoyable? I remember it being like a beatdown version of Magic, with little strategy and only a few ways of building a deck. Now there is a great choice of cards and Pokémon so that should not be happening, right?

What is the average age of players? When it all began it wasn't only little kids, but as I see the cards are sold in many many places, I've always thought it might be a game full of kids nowadays.

Well, excuse me if the post sounds a little... it's not my intention! I really want to play, but well, if it's worth it! :p

It was fun when i started playing it a year ago..a friend and i would go to walmart to buy cards and then go back to the lounge in our dorm, open booster packs, play for hours, sometimes staying up all night making new decks and having a sort of triathlon consisting of ping-pong/foosball/pokemon.

The problem for me has always been finding someone close by to play. Out of thousands of students on campus, most only played magic or yugioh. We found a few people who had cards, and they only played a few games since they weren't too interested. We only played for fun, but I'd say it was worth it

I understand your point, usually the problem with this kind of games is finding people to play with. Luckily, for what I've read on different forums, now I live in a big city where several stores where people gather to play. So well, I'll keep thinking about it and maybe pass by one of these stores to see the community. Thank you for your help!

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom