• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Third DP installment to be announced next month: Revelation of two Generation V Pokém

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the third version of D/P coming out first imply that G/S remakes are not going to happen?

I dunno, it seems odd to me that this generation would end with remakes of old games. I rather liked how the advance generation ended with a return to Hoenn in the form of Emerald, with FR/LG coming out before it.

And damn, I also feel its too early for Gen 5 Pokemon. WTF is the anime going to do if these games comes out sooner than expected? Ash only has 3 badges!

And damn, I also feel its too early for Gen 5 Pokemon. WTF is the anime going to do if these games comes out sooner than expected? Ash only has 3 badges!

Even if the Gen 5 Pokemon come out now, it'll be at least another year and a half to two years before Gen 5.

And that "Mushroom" thing has a beak and is clearly wearing a straw hat. If that's a new Pokemon, it's a bird. Looks sort of like an owl or quail.

Does the third version of D/P coming out first imply that G/S remakes are not going to happen?
I hope you realize that it is still possible the upcoming game is, in fact, the remakes. We don't even know what it is that the CoroCoro editors are supposed to know at this point. Another possibility is that they are misleading us, thereby reducing the redundancy of having to hint at a future announcement.

Granted, the odds are now in favor of the third game, but it is too soon to come forth with far-reaching conclusions.

I dunno, it seems odd to me that this generation would end with remakes of old games. I rather liked how the advance generation ended with a return to Hoenn in the form of Emerald, with FR/LG coming out before it.
It seems to me that the only oddity about releasing the third game before the remakes is making the fans wait longer for their preferred games. The older the games are, the more old-time players want to revisit them. Not only that, but the younger fans will surely be more interested in games whose original version they have never played.

Serebii said:
hes the one that started this New Pokemon BS
He was actually opposed to the rumor at first. Filb.de is the first non-Japanese web site that took notice of the merchandise advertisements.

I don't find that there is anything wrong with that, as it now seems very likely to happen. However, I do wish that it didn't get so much attention. I doubt the Pokémon's design will be original enough to deserve all the hype.

Last edited:
I think old-school fans overestimate the demand for Gen II remakes. As I've said many times, part of the appeal of FRLG is that there were otherwise unobtainable Pokemon in there. All you'd get from a GSC remake is Lugia and Ho-oh.

There's still a lot of in-game evidence, so I'm still holding some hope for an eventual revelation, even if not next month.

I'm pretty sure the third D/P game will be revealed next month.

I think old-school fans overestimate the demand for Gen II remakes. As I've said many times, part of the appeal of FRLG is that there were otherwise unobtainable Pokemon in there. All you'd get from a GSC remake is Lugia and Ho-oh.
Null argument: no one expected to see remakes of Red and Green at the time all those Pokémon were unobtainable. It was a pleasant surprise to see the remakes included as part of the solution to the problem of the 194 missing Pokémon, but what made it so pleasant was the actual content of the games.

Could anyone construct a legitimate argument whereby the remakes are such an inferior prospect compared to the third game? Hint: the fact that all Pokémon are already obtainable will not help you.

Just to clarify, I am in no way opposed to seeing a third game. I was one of the few fans who defended Emerald's raison d'être in summer 2004, avidly arguing that the game which was then slated to be released would be it rather than the next-generation entries (Diamond and Pearl, as it later turned out). I can also live with the fact that it currently appears that this time around, the third game will precede the remakes. I simply find it slightly nonsensical, but most of all irritating - on the grounds that the naysayers who are so hell-bent to move onto the next generation will now smugly think to themselves that the remakes will never see the light of day.

Last edited:
One of the largest criticisms of the Pokemon series is it's repetitiveness. I hardly think that will be helped if a remake is released in the series every 3 years, especially since the remakes will start to get old hat very soon. Are we really going to want to have a remake of Hoenn for Generation V?

I wouldn't give up on them just yet. With the new graphics it may be hard to remake both Johto and Kanto, along with any extra storyline. It would be alot easier to use the graphics of Sinnoh (which they already have) with improvements.

I'm really exited about all this because i've never been A forum user for the debut of a new game/pokemon.

Back in the release of gen 2 I was too young to use the internet and didn't go on a computer much until gen 3. I lost all my interest in pokemon until around this time last year. The gen 4 pokes didn't exacly "wow" me. But i am really looking foward to new games and pokemon!

I hardly think that will be helped if a remake is released in the series every 3 years, especially since the remakes will start to get old hat very soon. Are we really going to want to have a remake of Hoenn for Generation V?
So essentially you believe there is nothing wrong with the Gold and Silver remakes themselves, but rather with the precedent they would set if released? Don't you see the problem with that kind of argument? There are at least two immediate problems I can see:

1) It heavily relies on the so-called absurdity of an event far into the future from the point of view of what it would be like if it were to happen in the near future. There is nothing remotely ridiculous about the notion of Ruby and Sapphire remakes being appealing to us by 2012, which would mark their tenth anniversary (it had only been eight years since Red and Green's release when their remakes were released). The notion of their remakes could be as merited then as that of the Gold and Silver remakes is now, which means sufficiently so.

2) It ignores the fact that the premise of Generation III, unbeknownst to players at the very beginning, was to revert back to the Generation I era in more ways than one. It was Game Freak's alternative to designing another sequel and retaining compatibility with past games. There is no reason to assume they will necessarily do that again; presumably they will want to avoid another move to a new, distinct region because it will have grown old (counting Generation III and IV), but anything else goes. It will be enough to offer compatibility with the DS games to ensure access to all Pokémon (because even GBA-exclusives can be traded to the DS games and therefrom to the hypothetical new games).

Besides, if they reverted to the Generation era again, which they would have to do if they so much as considered Ruby and Sapphire remakes, it would be just as reasonable to expect remakes of FireRed and LeafGreen (re-remakes of Red and Green). This is probably sufficient proof that Generation V's way of breaking the mold will not be another reversion in time and mechanics overhaul.

In conclusion, the only thing that should matter is what Gold and Silver remakes would entail for this generation, which is undoubtedly contemporary with Generation II. To think of future generations in the same terms as the current one is definitely getting head of oneself.

What I'd rather like to see come out of this development is a Johto-based game (not necessarily a remake) for the Wii from Genius Sonority. It would add all the pieces of the puzzle together fairly well (and we can expect some game announcement from Genius Sonority at some point soonish anyway), so I think it'd be a pretty nice way to deal with both the third game and a Johto game without worrying too much about where they all fall.

Tis just something I'd find appealing.

watch it be a form for an existing legendary Pokemon and the other one being Arceus.

too bad it is not GSDS. :-( I want a GS Remake instead.

What I'd rather like to see come out of this development is a Johto-based game (not necessarily a remake) for the Wii from Genius Sonority. It would add all the pieces of the puzzle together fairly well (and we can expect some game announcement from Genius Sonority at some point soonish anyway), so I think it'd be a pretty nice way to deal with both the third game and a Johto game without worrying too much about where they all fall.

Tis just something I'd find appealing.

I would much rather have a remake come on a console so it didn't set a trend of every generation consisting of two games - one totally new and another with a bunch of old-content slightly polished up to get some quick cash. Really, I wouldn't be against the remakes so much if they were not different games. If we could have gone to Kanto in RSE and played through the first story from a slightly different perspective, or done the same with Johto in DP, I would have been pretty impressed. But taking what's essentially one and a half games worth of content and halving them into two as an excuse to charge 60 bucks seems downright lazy to me. At least Genius Sonority would make the games visually different instead of just putting them through a sprite refurbishing project and adding 7 new towns with nothing to do in them ala the Sevii Islands MK II.

I don't understand why you would prefer that to seeing both the remakes for the DS and a brand-new RPG game for the Wii, which is not only the more reasonable expectation, but also has more in store.

Zeta said:
But taking what's essentially one and a half games worth of content and halving them into two as an excuse to charge 60 bucks seems downright lazy to me.
So you would be more satisfied if they were remade into one game? How is it that you are set against the remakes but seem pretty indifferent to the third game? How much new content did you find in Emerald compared to FireRed and LeafGreen?

Isn't it by far lazier on Game Freak's part to release a third game two years after Diamond and Pearl, when the last time it took so long was because remakes were also on the agenda and released beforehand?

Last edited:
A highly reliable poster on Aussie Nintendo, username 'Aussie', claims that the third installment will be similar to 'yellow' in that it will be based loosely on the anime, and other tibits such as the placement of Team Galactic would be different, Pikachu would follow Lucas and Piplup would follow Dawn (depending on who was chosen at the start of the game), and he had also implied that the rival sprite would look like Paul from the anime

Assuming for a sec this is true: if the Rival sprite is being changed to look like Paul, why isn't the Lucas sprite being changed to look like Ash?

Because Lucas is better than Ash. Fact.

But yes, that is an interesting point. Perhpas it would be because Lucas is a main character, where as the Rival is of secondary importance?

Would it, really?

Ruin the fun? I didn't mean for me.

And if you're talking about the "makes me sad" bit I edited out, yeah I don't want new ones yet, IMO it's too soon, but I'm still excited about the prospect of new Pokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom