• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Third DP installment to be announced next month: Revelation of two Generation V Pokém

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your right. I liked pokemon from Gens 1 and 2, but it was the wait between Gen 1 and 2 pokemon that made gen 2 pokemon intresting for me... when I first saw Snubbel in the movie and marril, I liked them a lot, maybe because it had been a while before any new pokemon were released? (But I suppose pokemon was just really taking off around that time)

So you would be more satisfied if they were remade into one game? How is it that you are set against the remakes but seem pretty indifferent to the third game? How much new content did you find in Emerald compared to FireRed and LeafGreen?

Isn't it by far lazier on Game Freak's part to release a third game two years after Diamond and Pearl, when the last time it took so long was because remakes were also on the agenda and released beforehand?

We sadly can't escape the third game, because GameFreak is dead set on making them since forever. But I'd much rather them simply make the "third game" the first time, yes.

I don't want Gen V's yet. I don't know why, but I'd much rather wait.

We're still going to have the Arceus movie in Summer 2009, and another DP movie no doubt starring a Generation V Pokemon in Summer 2010. Earliest we'll get Generation V is Spring 2011, and that's an estimate on the early side of things. Of course they're going to start previewing Generation V Pokemon a year or two before that though, just like they always do.

Earliest we'll get Generation V is Spring 2011, and that's an estimate on the early side of things.
That's not the earliest date that can be expected, and there has never been a Spring release date for any of the Game Freak games. But I digress: if you don't think we can expect to see the next generation any sooner than that, then what exactly do you foresee for the upcoming two years? You seem to be saying that you would rather Game Freak not develop any games in the meantime. Why is that?

You seem to be saying that you would rather Game Freak not develop any games in the meantime. Why is that?

Because their remakes and deluxe editions aren't really creative or interesting, and are just rather shallow grabs for more cash. Who was it at Nintendo who said that crappy things like Pokemon Crystal were making a mockery of the videogame industry?

I would rather see them develop non-Pokemon games, yes. Like Pulseman or Drill Dozer. I love Pokemon, but I think remakes and extra editions with 5% more content don't really add anything and are wholly unnecessary.

That's not the earliest date that can be expected, and there has never been a Spring release date for any of the Game Freak games.

I meant for the US release but I forgot about translation lag, so Japan will get them Winter 2011 and the US will get them Spring 2012.

It'll be a wait.

Still, instead of putting out a rehash of THIS generation, I'd rather see Gamefreak spend their time on something more worthwhile, like the NEXT. Or another Drill Dozer.

It would also be nothing short of a shot in the foot for Game Freak to prioritize Piplup as the elite starter or dispense with Barry/Pearl in favor of Paul (which in a way, would also dispense with Silver, in fact). Even Yellow did not follow such a drastic direction.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do that. CoroCoro said "Blue" instead of "Yellow".

@Zeta and Neku- I completely disagree with you.
@The Doctor- No. Not Genius Sonority...

I don't get why everyone's favoring Genius Sonority over Game Freak all of a sudden. When it comes to Genius Sonority vs Game Freak, I'm with Game Freak. No contest. Sorry.

You mean you'd rather wait for a "slightly different" version of the SAME GAME you bought last year rather than get a completely new game faster?

Unless Game Freak can pull an Emerald with this one and REALLY improve the game, add some new content (that's actually worthwhile- Sevii Islands, I'm looking at you) and give me a reason to buy it other than "oh look, we're ANIME BASED!" I'll pass on this one, thanks.

Wow, people are really eager to spend another 35 bucks on the same game.

Still, instead of putting out a rehash of THIS generation, I'd rather see Gamefreak spend their time on something more worthwhile, like the NEXT.
You need to make up your mind. Will we see the next generation within a reasonable time frame or will we not? If the answer is in the negative (which it should be, considering there has been no talk of Nintendo's next handheld yet), then you can't validly argue that you would rather Game Freak invest time in a project that does not warrant such an excessive amount of development.

As for Drill Dozer, this is a Pokémon forum, not a Game Freak one. Even as fans, we are not sworn in secrecy to like everything Game Freak comes up with between Pokémon releases. If the point is to fill the time with a non-Pokémon game, there are other companies out there who serve that purpose more than well.

It is much more sensible to hope for there to be no shortcomings in either the remakes or third game, than to start crossing fingers for the next best thing Game Freak can design.

Last edited:
myself, i would love to incorporate some of the features left out of US version of Crystal into a 3rd version of Gen IV. and will Pikachu and Piplup be out of their balls like the Anime (and like the anime (and Pokemon Yellow) never evolves into their evoulitions unless you breed them or trade them). only time will tell.

As for Drill Dozer, this is a Pokémon forum, not a Game Freak one. Even as fans, we are not sworn in secrecy to like everything Game Freak comes up with between Pokémon releases. If the point is to fill the time with a non-Pokémon game, there are other companies out there who serve that purpose more than well.

I never said I was speaking for everyone about Drill Dozer, just myself personally. I KNOW there are other games.. I'd just really like to see a sequel to DD.

It is much more sensible to hope for there to be no shortcomings in either the remakes or third game, than to start crossing fingers for the next best thing Game Freak can design.

And as I posted a few above, I will have no problem with a third game if it's as good as Emerald was (I actually play Emerald more than Sapphire.) I just don't see why everyone's so excited over merely the option to have your Pokemon follow you/minor story changes.

And as I posted a few above, I will have no problem with a third game if it's as good as Emerald was (I actually play Emerald more than Sapphire.) I just don't see why everyone's so excited over merely the option to have your Pokemon follow you/minor story changes.
The idea of retreading Yellow's steps is mocked by most, though for some reason not everyone has voiced that in this thread. I will concede that some fans' suggestions for the third game boil down to giving Diamond and Pearl the exact same time treatment Ruby and Sapphire were given by Emerald. The problem with that isn't that Emerald was lacking (quite the contrary, as you seem to think as well), but rather that its uniqueness stems from the fact it was original at the time, which is to say it wouldn't be so this time.

Last edited:
People think Emerald was incredibly innovative just because it added the Battle Frontier and the effect of some abilities outside battle? Wow.

I wouldn't mind buying a third installment of this gen since I enjoy the games for what they are. I'm not expecting anything revolutionary from them.

Emerald was just the Pokemon Stadium games grafted onto the handhelds. True, that was more innovative than the crap we got with Yellow and Crystal, but by no means anything to get excited about.

It'd be nice if this included some mechanics additions like Emerald did, but it seemed pretty clear at the time that Emerald was just GameFreak trying to patch the mechanics as they were and then continuing that onwards with the major overhaul for D/P. It's possible, if not probable, that the mechanics set in stone currently will be unaltered until the next Generation.

One thing that has stood out in my mind from the very start, after playing D/P was the idea that their third game wouldn't be so much a remake/retread as a sequel. This comes purely out of the way Team Galactic's storyline is set up and not neatly closed (it's also stood out to me just how much the storyline is really all about Arceus and how odd that is that it's not actually addressed in-game). It would definitely be one way of making the game stand out a bit more.

We've had a run of surprises concerning the franchise over the past few years - it's not out of the realms of logic to consider we could be surprised by what this game would turn out as - and I'd actually rather hope that there is some pretty big surprise lurking in its depths, 'cos as much as I'd still buy and enjoy an Emerald-esque retread of D/P, it'd be a lot better if they shook it up a bit more and threw in something radical and different.

Yes, the lack of addressing Arceus in game is quite annoying. It would be rather nice if it turned out that Arceus was not an event Pokemon but one that could gotten in the third game to add variety. It doesn't make any narrative sense to exclude him in a promotional sidequest that has nothing to do with the plot when the plot is all about Cyrus's quest to obtain Arceus's lesser selves. I'll be impressed if it is the third game mascot and not simply another gimmick to get people to see a anime movie.

True, that was more innovative than the crap we got with Yellow and Crystal, but by no means anything to get excited about.
Are you just bitter the Mobile Adapter features were left out of the non-Japanese versions, or what? The opinion whereby the game was a weak addition is not widespread at all.

I also find that whatever we think of Yellow now is immaterial to the fact we enjoyed it then, and that it was the most successful game sales-wise (more successful than both Red and Green/Blue if they are considered as separate games).

emerald at least had better graphics than Ruby and Sapphire.

Not an important thing, but they could give us something to do with the tiny and large mushrooms we find. LEt the move tutor be interested in both heart scales and mushrooms.

An in-game Arceus would be awesome. If that happened, then all they need is a way to get Shaymin, since Arceus would be caught and Darkrai has been confirmed to be transferable in Ranger Battonage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom