Contest Third Gym Leaders: Lt. Surge vs. Whitney vs. Wattson vs. Maylene vs. Burgh

Fave Third Gym Leader

• Lt. Surge

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Whitney

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Wattson

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Maylene

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Burgh

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Simple enough, fave third gym leader out of all generations

EDIT: Mods, move if necessary, but please message me if you do

Take me away from here...
Reaction score
Surge rocks! So does Whitney and Burgh.
But Maylene gets my vote, because she is the most amazing gym leader in DPPT.

I love Iris!
Reaction score
All of them are cool. I really like Maylene as well, but none of them can compare to my Whitney. She's the cutest, the funniest, and one of the toughest fights in the games. I love her and she's my favorite character of all times. Not just in Pokémon. As cool as everyone else is, there's no contest. It will always be Whitney for me ~ <3

Mystery in another region
Reaction score
I'm actually kind of embarassed to admit that I like Arti/Burgh more than the others. XD Though I liked more how he was portrayed in the original games and in the Spanish translation (Camus? Yes please!). And he uses Bugs, which recently became one of my favourite types. Plus, he became hilarious to me when I heard the gossip in the National Gymquirer. XDDDDD

If Platinum was the version considered for these polls, Melissa/Fantina would have won, but nope. Also, Tessen/Wattson is second, but by far.

back to the start
Reaction score
It's either Maylene or Whitney. Whitney was never that hard for me; I just used an Onix to muscle through the battle. I guess I'd have to go with Maylene, though. It was pretty cool to face Lucario for the first time.

Offline for a while
Reaction score
Burgh! I love his style! And his design. The gym was kinda weird, though. Where did he get all that honey? o_o

So Fabulous~
Reaction score
I voted for Burgh. He just too fabulous to not win.

From Leyend to Myth
Reaction score
This is a tough one, the third gym tends to be pretty memorable...

Lt. Surge was interesting and had plenty of charisma. But... I guess his character didn't get much in terms of plot and stuff.

Whitney is hands down one of the most memorable Gym Leaders. If not THE most memorable Gym Leader (not counting the general public who only got past Brock anyways). That Miltank of doom and overall how she is basically That One Boss makes her to my eyes like Airman in Megaman.

Wattson. Wattson was my personal That One Boss. I learned the fear of stats, levels, and such from him. Having your entire party destroyed by an unavoidable move makes you stop relying on luck and sweeping ever again and to start thinking better. He also shows up later in the game, and I like his characterization. It even kinda fit how he taught me such a lesson the hard way.

Maylenne wasn't that interesting to me. As for Burgh... he is quite the opposite of Surge in that he got a plot coupon. He is also pretty charismatic too. (however he is found right after Aloe, who is basically awesome and unforgettable)

But anyways, I'll say Wattson, out of personal experience.

Reaction score
Well let's see. Whitney is a brat who is only training pokemon because it was the popular thing to do.

Wattson is meh.

Maylene is pretty cool and uses one of my favorite types... but I have this "ew feet" thing and her vs sprite makes me squeemish. >_>

Burgh also uses one of my favorite types and has an awesome gym and is an artist but...

I am horribly shallow. Lt Surge got a sudden sexy makeover in HGSS so he wins. : D He also also the owner of THE original puzzle gym and it made me want to punch him. They only became more innovative from there but at least his wasn't the same answer every time.

Marquess of Ostia
Reaction score
The Lightning American of course.

Love his outfit and persona.

Last edited:
Take me for the walk
Reaction score
Maylene, because that's the nickname of my best friend, so Maylene has grown on me greatly.

Pokémon: Gen 8.0 You Can (Not) Catch 'em All
Reaction score
Surge is just shocking. /shot

Lt.

Powerful Foaming Clenser!
Reaction score
hmmm, i think i'll go with Whitney.
Lolno, surge.

Whitney ispired SO much rage. the fact that she crys at me when i kick her ass just made it worse.

I still don't remember who Maylene is. Was that the grass one?..no, she had garden in her name. I think the ghost one was Fantine...uhhhh.idk who that is, and i don't wanna look it up.

Wattson, i liked wattson.

Burgh was nice, and he had an epic gym. i'd like him alot more if he had come later in the game, it's a shame that they wasted the opurtunity to show off some of the epic bug types in the game.

surge is just badass.

What would happen?
Reaction score
Whitney, because she was the first difficult gym leader that I had ever come up against. Respect.