• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Third Version?

I want the game in general to be more of a challenge. Pokemon is getting too...easy, if thats the right word.

I know in Gen V (and maybe Gen IV?), there are certain trainer classes that do employ some strategy in battle (outside of the Battle Frontier/Subway). For example, the Veteran trainer class certainly presents more of a challenge just with fully evolved Pokemon and better movesets...but they're lacking when it comes to strategy. And then the Scientist trainer class always uses an X-whatever item on their first turn...but really they're just wasting a turn.

Anyways, I wish they would expand on this concept and give more of the trainer classes different strategies. Not just for regular trainers, but for more of the gym leaders, too. Lenora and Elesa were probably the only gym leaders that were at least a little bit challenging. The rest of them need to step it up.

As for N...if he's supposed to double as a rival, then shouldn't he become more challenging each time I battle him, just as Cheren and Bianca do? Seriously, the only time his difficultly level spikes is when he obtains Zekrom/Reshiram. I know Cheren and Bianca aren't much better...but at least they improve a little bit each time.

I want the game in general to be more of a challenge. Pokemon is getting too...easy, if thats the right word.

1. Pokemon was designed to be easy.
2. It is easy because you already played it for years.
3. Gen V did have a habit of giving you difficult surprise boss fights.
4. Third versions have been consistently more difficult.

Can you give me an example of difficult boss fights?

Number 4 I can agree with. Third Versions do have a tendancy to be more difficult...

As for N...if he's supposed to double as a rival, then shouldn't he become more challenging each time I battle him, just as Cheren and Bianca do? Seriously, the only time his difficultly level spikes is when he obtains Zekrom/Reshiram. I know Cheren and Bianca aren't much better...but at least they improve a little bit each time.

Thats because he simply uses the Pokemon in each area. They could only amp up his difficulty by amping up the Pokemon in the area. As for difficulty I think that third versions are generally tougher, like how Emerald (for me at least) was much harder than R/S.

Post game will be hell either way though.

Well, on second thought...maybe I should be careful what I wish for. :scared:

Can you give me an example of difficult boss fights?

Number 4 I can agree with. Third Versions do have a tendancy to be more difficult...
I found Cyrus in Platinum hard out of most bosses. His Gyarados could easily counter electric types with EQ.

It looks as if they are doing it exacly like they did it with platinum. Releasing a spinnof in march, just like they released ranger 2 in march 2008. And it seems from corocoro that in fabuary they are going to reveal Keldeo and probably Kyurem's new form, like they did with shaymin and giratina in platinum. I can draw a pretty probable map of what's going to happen in the next few months:
FAB: revealing keldeo & kyurem form
MAR: ambition release
APR: first Gray news, possibly some small game, like ranch and 3d pokedex, being revealed (they said they are going to release more games than in last year)
MAY: official gray announcment
SEP: gray release
DEC: probably PBR\XD for 5th gen
MAR 2013: gray english release
MAY 2013: if RS remakes are coming this gen, news about it should be coming at that point

I think what's evident about RS remakes or anything after gray is the road the Anime's taking. We're on Skyla in Late February, giving us with the current pace until, what, September for the league to be over? They have to do either stop the gen with gray and go into gen 6, or give us something to expand the Anime for 2 years. Gray is either gonna be the last game of this gen, or completely throw us off.

@Kingmate the N and rival battles are strong at times and the catch you by surprise in a lot of cases. Sure they are not that hard but it did happen. I had retry the ferris wheel fight twice not so much the others but there was SOME level of tension.

@Kingmate the N and rival battles are strong at times and the catch you by surprise in a lot of cases. Sure they are not that hard but it did happen. I had retry the ferris wheel fight twice not so much the others but there was SOME level of tension.

Let me guess: was it N's Sigilyph that threw you for a loop?

Yeah that was the only other time N gave me trouble. Indeed I had to restart...losing two hours of progress in the process.

@Silktree I think (s)he meant like spin-off games and stuff like that. There's always those.

Last edited:
I freaking out. I can wait for Ruby and Sapphire. I know that I will probably break down and buy Grey once it finally comes out but as of right now I would much rather skip it and go straight to RS. We will probably have to wait through multiple remakes. Which I would be okay with if they release a console RPG like XD.

Back
Top Bottom