• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Thoughts and whatnot

GhostLucario

Ghost maniac
Reaction score
So with the old blogs gone and apparently not coming back, I'll post some of my previous countdowns and stuff like what pokemon I like best, the types and stuff like that. So let's begin!

I'll start with my favorite: my countdown of favorite main series pokémon games, from the most disliked to my favorites. I don't consider LGPE main series games and I haven't played them so I won't be including them. So here we go!

15. Least favorite games: Red/Blue
Surprise! So, these games are actually my least favorite out of the main series games. The reason is that they are just... so bad. I know they started the phenomenon: anime! toys! movies! trading card game! spin-offs! even cereals, sodas, candy. You name it. But when it comes to the actual games these are just... so awful? For starters the mechanics are completely broken. It's psychic types galore! Nothing can stand up to them, well except another Psychic. Bug and Poison are worthless, Ghost isn't even programmed to do what it's supposed to do. Oh moves are broken too. Amnesia? Broken. Blizzard? Broken. Wrap? **** wrap is broken. These games have not aged well and it shows. Playing the VC releases just reminded me that they are torture. BTW I did start with these back in 1998 in my 11 year old self. But I have no nostalgia when it comes to these. Ew

14. Sun/Moon
I have no words to describe how much I hate these. Because Red/Blue are horrible because they are a product of their time. Back when there were technological limits to what could be done in a game. But these? This was deliberate. I hate absolutely everything about these games and I hate it even more because these were all deliberate choices by GF. They took every single good thing about Gen 6 and did away with it and replaced it with mechanics that are just... awful- Dex-nav and hordes? Nah, those are too good. Here, have SOS battles, which are annoying and time-consuming. Improving the AI on gym leaders and E4, giving them better rosters, movepools and held items? Nah, here, have trials, artificially designed to be more difficult because they force you to battle 1 vs 2. Oh and while we're at it, let's NOT increase the AI for NPCs. In fact, let's just give every trainer 1 or 2 pokémon and call it a day. Customization? Ok but let's make it version-exclusive because why not? PSS? Pff that's a tad too convenient. Here, have Festival Plaza, which it is worse and annoying. Also we're never having Battle Frontier, or trainer rematches again but here, have Battle Tree, which is a very not fun hax-filled poor man's replacement. We could be here all day listing the reasons why I hate these games so much, but this is getting too long so let's move on.

13. Yellow
Same as Red/Blue but look! Pikachu is here. It follows you the way it followed Ash in the anime. Ash also had all three starters? NO problem, starters for all! Oh and look! Jesse, James, Meowth, all of Team Rocket's lovable goofs are here! And that's pretty much it unless you happen to have the extra rare surfing Pikachu, in that case there's also the surfing mini game? Neat heh? Too bad it's still filled with all the horrible, broken mechanics of Gen 1. Because it's actually sort of charming with the Pikachu following you and checking on it's mood and what not.

12. Ruby/Sapphire
Disclaimer: I've never actually played Emerald, so I don't have anything to say about it. Now we're in the "I don't really hate these games, I just don't particularly care for them" category. These were... fine to say the least, but I don't find them really memorable or all that entertaining. Credit's where it's due of course, because these introduced many of the mechanics that made Pokémon what it is today. Abilities, natures, better moves, all those started here. I just think the story is kinda... meh? The villanous teams are dumb, the characters are bland (May/Brendan and Wally are just so... forgettable). The pokémon introduced in this gen are not my favorites. Everything about the games feels bland to me. I don't hate them but I don't really like them. These are the only games I never even replayed, ever, at all until a couple months back when I bought an used copy of Platinum and I needed the starters and legendaries. That's how uninterested I am in these games.

11. Gold/Silver
Again, I don't really hate these but I don't love them either. They are massive, massive improvements over the RBY days. But at the end of the day, these haven't really aged well for me. The movesets are still tragic, the level curve in these games is absolutely awful (more on that later). The graphics are better but barely. What I dislike about Johto is... it can't stand on its own. It depends on Kanto for pretty much everything. I get it, it's because they crammed both regions into one game. At the time that was a nice surprise but then Kanto was surprisingly barren. There are no fossils, no E4 of it's own, Elm is always under Oak's shadow, Team Rocket is back with an even dumber plot and Red... ugh. So the things I dislike about them are an extension of my Kanto dislike. But unlike RBY or even RS I do have some nostalgia for GS. The pokemon introduced in this gen are still amongst my favorites. The music even in it's 8-bit still fires me up.

10. Crystal
For me, Crystal is a position higher in my countdown because... well, it's basically the same game as GS but with minimal improvements, so it gets to be a bit higher on the list. Playing as a girl is nice. The pokemon selection was much better in this game (early Phanpy, Teddiursa, Poliwag, Growlithe FTW!) The story feels a little more... fleshed out? As in, the bits with Suicune and Eusine do make it more enjoyable. It adds to the legendary beasts/Ho-Oh subplot and those are some of my favorite legendaries to date. I feel like the attention to those little details is what matters you know? So I put it slightly higher in the countdown.

9. OmegaRuby/ AlphaSapphire
Now we're in the "I like these games but there are others I like sooo much better" category. These really improved everything about the first games, which I really don't care about. It's all in the mechanics you see. Because unlike the other sets of remakes (FRLG and HGSS, which modernized the outdated gen1-2 mechanics and put them up to speed) Ruby and Sapphire already had abilities and natures and all that. But here we had very nice mechanics. Dex nav! I really love that thing. Soaring! Now you are not forced to carry a flyer just so you don't have to walk everywhere (which is annoying and takes ages!) The characters actually have personality here! Archie's improved, Wally's improved, hell even May/Brendan have improved. Oh and we have Delta episode! Rayquaza and Deoxys! and some interesting ideas are opened like the multiverse thing. And the new music is just so... mesmerizing. I love every single new track in these games. But what keeps me from really loving these is that they're also a product of their time. A time of increasing "simplification" and hand-holding because kids these days are stupid and they're on their mobile phones all day long playing free, mobile games so they don't have the time (or attention spans) to play a pokémon game anymore.

8. FireRed/LeafGreen
These were the first remakes we had and took every complaint I had with the first games and improved it. So I like these much better than the originals. They fixed all that was wrong with the Gen 1 mechanics and even gave us a bit of post-game with the Sevii Islands to keep us entertained. I actually do like these games. But they're not higher on the list because the added bits come so late in the game. Up to Cinnabar they're basically the same game. What I actually dislike about them is that they force you to limit yourself to Gen 1 pokémon for soooo long. And there's that stupid restriction that you CAN'T trade with Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/Colosseum/XD until you go through that post-game. To add insult, they tell you your Golbat/Chansey/Eevee/whatever wants to evolve, but it can't. Now that seems just stupid and pointless to me and I hate that. Thankfully HGSS and ORAS addressed it because I hated it here. Oh and they really went overboard with the version exclusives with these ones. Yikes.

7. Diamond/Pearl
Fun fact (to me at least): these were originally much higher on my list, because I never played Platinum. But then I did and that game blows these two out of the water. I love the region, I love the characters. I love the Gen 4 pokémon. I loved everything about them. But.... theeeeeyyyy aaaaarrrreeee ssssoooo sssssllllloooooowwwww. (That's supposed to be slow speech lol) Jokes aside, there are memes that half your time in Sinnoh is spent saving your game and the other half polishing your badges. Aaaaaaaand it's funny 'cause it's true. The pokemon selection also leaves a lot to be desired (150 out of 493? I know they wanted to pay homage to Gen 1 or something with the 150 number but jeez) Thankfully Platinum exists and takes Sinnoh to greater heights so I don't have to care at all about these.

6. UltraSun/UltraMoon
Before I begin to sound like a big hypocrite, let me say in my defense that I had... a surprisingly good time with these games. Hell, I enjoyed them even. Which is surprising even to me because I hate Sun and Moon so so so so so so soooo much. But as I said with Crystal, the details really matter here. They actually fixed those endless torture that were SOS battles. They tried (and failed IMO) to actually do something with the Festival Plaza. The little changes to the story actually work for me. I liked the Ultra Recon Squad. Lusamine still makes no sense but at least she goes through heel-face turn. Necrozma adds to the story. Hau became bearable for me. Lillie became bearable for me (even if these games actually undermine her character development from Sun/Moon but eh). Mantine surf is cool. Going to other worlds to catch legendaries and UBs (which I really didn't care for in SM) adds to the overall feel. I don't know exactly what it was but these actually feel like improvements over Sun/Moon than Yellow, Crystal and Emerald ever were over the games they're based on. So I liked them enough to be this high on the list. But since they are still gen 7, and are still hand-holding-y and sooooo easy and restrictive... I also can't put them higher on the list.

5. XY
So we're finally in the "I love these games" category. XY is where I feel pokemon as a franchise started to lose steam and doesn't know what it wants to be. It wants to be like a mobile game? So these games have to be accessible and easy for newcomers and dumb kids, but also let's fill these games with Kanto references for the veterans because GF wants to have its cake and eat it too. The reason why they are so high on my list despite being boring, incomplete and easy is because... I was in a really bad time emotionally when they came out. And I would just turn on my 3ds and play for hours (I'm not kidding. My Y game has over 900 hours of playtime. My second-most played game was my Pearl version and that only had 400 hours. That's how much I played these games) and forget about my problems until they went away. Spoiler alert: they actually didn't go away but playing these for so long made these games have sentimental value for me. I love France and French culture so unlike Unova which still felt japanese-y; these games had that French feel you know? I love all 72 Gen 6 pokemon (except Barbaracle, 'cause that thing's hideous!) I love all the characters. I loved the anime seasons based on XY. I love everything about them. So even if the games fall short (and they do! and I'm still salty as the dead sea there is no Z version to fix them!) they still have a place in my heart. Awww

4. Platinum
So I as wrote before, I had loved the Sinnoh games very much. I loved everything about them. I played Pearl for 400 hours! But since I owned both Diamond AND Pearl I never felt the need to buy and play Platinum so I never did. And boy, I was missing out. Because Platinum is such an improvement over DP that it feels like a completely different game. It's not slow as a snail anymore! The pokemon selection is improved. It actually added to the Sinnoh dex after the initial 151 pokemon that were in the Sinnoh dex. It polishes the story and characters (and adds Looker which is one of my favorite NPCs to date, and Charon). It added trainer rematches in the battleground and THE BATTLE FRONTIER! God I loved it so much. Move tutors use shards instead of BP for convenience. And there is the villa which I love because I love collecting things and I missed the decorations from GS and the bases from RS (the decorations here are not customizable but still). And it adds the Giratina and Distortion world bits. And I love it! It is the superior Sinnoh game in every regard.

As we go into the top 3 I just want to say, I couldn't choose between these and I just put them in order according to the amount of content they have. But these are interchangeable and number 3 could easily be numer 1 and vice versa. Each one of these games have something special that makes them stand out for me, but lacks in certain areas, so if I could somehow combine the bits I like about each one and make 1 super amazing pokémon game I could. But I can't so I have to rank them in this order....

3. drum roll Black/ White 1.
What I love about these games is: The story
What falls short for me: no post-game, really
I was kind of on the fence with these ones before release. I really didn't like the pokémon in this gen. A lot of them felt unoriginal (trash and ice cream! ew) or rehashes of Gen 1 pokémon (Audino= the new chansey. Woobat= the new zubat. Roggenrola= the new geodude. Frillish= new Tentacool. Sawk and Throh= new Hitmons. You get the idea). But the story oh my god! I will never not praise these games' story and characters. It was the first time I felt GF could do a good RPG if they just put their minds to it. Instead of the "Kid saves the world from villanous team looking to destroy it using box legendary" storylines of gens 3 and 4 we got... a nuanced story, and characters with actual development and complex personalities, backstories and motivations. I love every single character: Cheren, Bianca, the gym leaders, the evil team leaders and N... God, this was the best a pokémon game story has ever been.
Sadly the gameplay aspect of these games fell short. Other than the seasons and.... wild double battles? there wasn't a whole lot to be excited in this department. And even the seasons weren't fully utilized here and sadly they were gone the next gen. The post-game is practically inexistent. And the level curve is odd... like, the E4 barely are level 50-ish...and then trainers in the post-game are in the 65's???

2. drum roll Black2/White 2
What I love about these games is: The mechanics and post-game
What falls short for me: the story
This is sort of the opposite of the first BW games. Here we have sooooo much to do: Battle subway. sure that was in the first games too. But then we had Pokémon World Tournament which, for me, is the best battling facility we've ever had. I spent hours and hours playing this thing and I never rage quitted (unlike cough cough Battle Tree or Battle Maison, which make me rage!) and then White Treehollow/Black Tower (which let you gain Exp and level up your monsters, which is just lovely!) And then you had so many new areas! the regional pokedex for these games is my absolute favorite. All my favorites are here (except my beloved Gengar but I let that one pass since you can get Gastly in dream world). Buuuuuut... they story was a let down. Like, BW1 was such a big, huge step in the right direction and with these games we were... back to where we started. The story is nothing special and is right back with gen 3/4 stories. Nothing deep, nothing thought-provoking. Just... defeat crazy evil team before they destroy the world or something. They could've done more with the Plasma under N vs Neo Plasma under Ghetsis but nah... It's like they burnt out making the BW1 story and couldn't be bothered with writing a better follow up. Oh well. At least we have so many other things to do that it doesn't matter that much.

1. well you know what goes here. My favorite games of the main pokémon series are....... HeartGold/ SoulSilver.
I mentioned in the GS that all my nostalgia is from Gen 2 (despite I technically did start with RBY. But I hate those so shrug). But I admit GSC are full of flaws and well... all that is dealt with here. This has the best ratio of story vs. gameplay mechanics. They actually improve the story to make it a little more cohesive. Despite being remakes of GS, they add those enjoyable bits about Crystal I loved so much. They built over what FRLG had done as remakes. They fleshed out Kanto so much, now Kanto-Johto feels truly alive and on par with Hoenn/Sinnoh/Unova. They added the Battle Frontier, improved Kanto gyms and trainers, add a new Safari Zone (which I love even though it makes me rage as all Safari Zones do). The music is great, the graphics are great, the attention to detail is great... I just don't have anything bad to say about these. Oh and don't get me started on the walking pokémon thing. Because this would be longer than it is. It suffices to say it's my favorite thing ever and I'm mad it's been only brought back for .... LGPE. Ugh.

So there it is, my favorite main series game ranking.
next i will rank my favorite mons from each generation. So to end this is all just my opinion and if you disagree well, let's agree to disagree,

Last edited:
Next up we have.... my review of Gen 1 pokémon. I actually got the idea from this really cool tumblr called inikavulpixelreviews check it out if you like that sort of thing.
Anyway I will be reviewing them by listing my favorites, least favorites, cutest, coolest, prettiest, spookiest, most unique and most forgettable. So here I go:

My favorites

I actually grew up with the original 151, so it's only natural that some of my favorites are from Gen 1. Especially Gengar who is my absolute favorite pokémon. I actually had a Gengar figurine, it was purple and translucent and all. Oh and how could I not love Eevee? I love it. Same with Lapras, I actually really like Lapras it's one of my favorites. And I have this weird attachment to Starmie like. It's really appealing to me. I don't even know why.

Least favorites

I don't really like any of these. In fact I outright hate Dragonite and Mewtwo. Mewtwo because I think it's ugly and not very cool but very overrated. Dragonite is just such a disappointment. Dragonair is beautiful and Dragonite is just an orange barney with wings. Machamp and Hypno I just find really disturbing, Machamp in particular because it's so humanlike. The Machamp strength in Alola made me hate it even more. It's just... weird.

Last edited:
Gen 1
The cutest

I loved Oddish as a kid, I found it soo cute. Same with Vulpix and Growlithe. Pikachu is just a classic at this point and very cute. I also like Poliwag but then it evolves and... eh

The coolest

Hitmonchan and Electabuzz have really grown on me these last few years, particularly Electabuzz which I did not care about at all when I was young. It was so strange looking. It took me 20 years to see how cool it is. Nidoking and Venusaur are also amazing designs. I actually like how Nidoking's design ties together a bunch of things, plus purple is my favorite color

The prettiest

Gen 1 have some really pretty designs. I especially like Dragonair and Rapidash. So elegant, and their shiny colors are even prettier. Dewgong is pretty for me, I find it very elegant in its simplicity. Vileplume is the best of the Grass types for me in this gen

The spookiest

there weren't many spooky Pokémon back then, but we have the original ghosts! Ghost is my favorite type and these are all among my favorites. It's pretty rare for me to like all stages in an evolutionary line but I actually really love all three. And well the pokédex entries are scary. Nightmare fuel

Last edited:
Most unique

These are some very creative designs. Unfortunately, Jynx and Porygon have been pushed to obscurity (to say the least?) by GF or TPCI for their unfortunate implications. Jynx is another pokémon that has grown a lot on me the last few years. I actually wanted it to have a mega. Porygon is so creative in what it's based on and its lore but that tragic anime episode has caused it to be pushed aside. Scyther is really amazing but since Scizor is good in battles everyone thinks it's better. Personally I think Scyther is very unique. Staryu is here because of it's lore (being extraterrestrial and the connection to outer space, plus the design works so well despite not having a face). Aerodactyl is also very unique.

Most forgettable

These are eh... I don't have much to say about them. Electrode is just... a pokéball with eyes. Muk a bigger Grimer. Poliwrath is... just bland. Same with Tangela. Graveler disturbs me, IDK why.

This concludes my Gen 1 review! Next up Gen 2 which also has some really amazing pokémon

Nice thoughts! Gen 1 has its flaws but it also has something for everyone.
My favorite: Squirtle
The cutest: Squirtle, Ditto, Poliwag, Mew
The coolest: Articuno (pun not intended), Blastoise, Mewtwo
The prettiest: Dragonair, Arcanine
The spookiest: Gengar, Hypno
Most unique: Ditto, Snorlax
Most forgettable: Cloyster, Kabuto, Kabutops

The Gengar figure you describe, did it have the capacity to be a pencil-topper? If so, we have the same one!

So here I am, back with my review of Generation 2 Pokémon! Gold, Silver and Crystal introduced so many of my favorite mons, I had a very hard time narrowing down this list. It was hard to pick only 5 favorites since I love a lot of Pokémon from this generation. Also my least favorites are not pokémon I hate or anything. I don't think I hate any single one. So here we go:

My favorites
cyndaquil.png
bellossom.png
espeon.png
crobat.png
ampharos.png

I had a hard time choosing only five since I love so many Johto Pokémon. But Cyndaquil has always been my favorite starter and Espeon has been in my top 3 favorite pokémon since I first laid eyes on it. I love it so, so much. Ampharos and Crobat's designs were not very appealing to me but I grew very attached to these pokémon because I tend to use them a lot in my playthroughs. Bellossom is a funny story because I loved Oddish as a child but didn't like Gloom and i felt Vileplume was lacking something. But Bellossom feels like a natural progression from Oddish, and it reminds me a lot of it so I like it much better than Vileplume and Gloom.

My least favorites
ledian.png
hitmontop.png
blissey.png
delibird.png
sudowoodo.png

I don't really hate any of these, I just don't care for them. They're so boring. Unlike say Mewtwo and Dragonite in Gen 1 which I strongly despise, these are ok. Ledian is really bad in battle but it's design is ok. Hitmontop is weird to me, I feel like something in its body is not right. Blissey and Delibird are meh. I dislike Sudowoodo's dumb face but I do like the concept and how it imitates trees so *shrug*

The cutest
corsola.png
totodile.png
phanpy.png
swinub.png
teddiursa.png

All of these are so adorable!!! I love all these pokemon with my heart. I find them so cute. Especially Swinub it is so nice! I have a weakness for pokemon with eyes like that. I find them super cute. I didn't like Totodile as much but the anime made me love it. Ash's Totodile was just freaking adorable. Phanpy is another pokemon the anime made me adore. It's so cute and playful. Teddiursa has kind of a dark side to it but it's still cute. Johto Corsola is sunny and happy and cute and I love its face. And Galar ruined it's happiness forever and I just made myself sad. Oh well

The coolest
kingdra.png
donphan.png
feraligatr.png
noctowl.png
heracross.png

I realize the pokemon movies and anime made me like all these pokemon so much. I loved Kingdra ever since I saw it in the third movie. It's so cool! I love that it's was very strong back then, it was fast and had cool lore about causing whirlpools. Honestly one of my favorites. I loved Donphan since I saw it in the first movie, and I was like-- wait! Stop everything! Is that an elephant! I gotta have that thing! Because I love real elephants and Donphan is cool! and it's the evolved form of one of the cutest pokemon, Phanpy. Feraligatr looks menacing! Too bad it is kinda slow in battle. I really like to use it in game. Noctowl and Heracross hyped me so much as a teenager. I love owls so Noctowl quickly became a favorite of mine. Heracross was strong and cool in the anime, so I liked it.

It's funny how fond memories of things you watch as a child can have so much bearing on what things you like when you grow older.

Last edited:
The prettiest
ho-oh.png
suicune.png
meganium.png
sunflora.png
lanturn.png

Ho-Oh and Suicune had to be here. I normally dislike legendaries because I find their designs overbearing. I don't know if that's the right word... but these two are beautiful. Elegant and gorgeous in their complexities. Meganium and Sunflora are here because I really like the flowers they are based on and flowers are pretty you know. Lanturn I guess could be more cute than pretty. But I think it's a very nice pokemon and represents for me what a pokemon should be like. A simple but lively design.

The spookiest
tyranitar.png
houndoom.png umbreon.png misdreavus.png ariados.png
Tyranitar I guess since it's based on Godzilla qualifies as spooky since monsters are spooky? Umbreon and Misdreavus sort of blur the line between spooky and cute but I guess they have some spooky pokedex entries and that's what makes them so appealing for me. Ariados is one of the pokemon I find spooky since I do not like spiders at all. And Houndoom is just... so disturbing. Its pokedex entries are nightmare fuel. A burn that never heals, with pain that never goes away? Sorry, it just gives me the creeps.

Last edited:
Most unique
lugia.png girafarig.png aipom.png skarmory.png jumpluff.png
I feel these batch of pokemon was sort of weird in a bizarre but creative way. I never knew what Lugia was supposed to be as a child. A marine, flying bird dragon thing? Who was psychic type but not water for some reason? Even now I'm not completely sure what it is supposed to be. But it's a strong design and very creative indeed. Girafarig is unlike anything I had seen up to that point. Now that I've seen its beta design I can say it used to be a much stronger concept. But I still find it unique. Aipom and Jumpluff are concepts that work, oddly enough. Skarmory is a really creative pokemon and a very good use of the Steel type.

Most forgettable
stantler.png shuckle.png magcargo.png dunsparce.png unown.png
Honestly I didn't care too much about these but then I saw that some great beta pokemon for Gold and Silver were discarded in favor of these things and I feel very angry. Stantler is just... there. It's not good in battles, it doesn't have a cool or cute or unique design, it's not really charismatic. Why does it exist again? Same for Shuckle and Magcargo. Honestly they're not even gimmicky pokemon like say, Castform or Ditto. Dunsparce is interesting in its origins since it's based on a Japanese yokai but.... it's also just sort of out there. No evolution, no good stats or moves or anything really. It's like even GF forgot about these. Unown appeared in the third movie as these all-powerful gods that alter reality.... but after that, what purpose did they fulfill? Even the remakes don't do anything with the ruins of Alph. Even the Sinjoh ruins and Arceus couldn't make them interesting. They're just letters flying around. Meh

So this ends my review of Generation 2 pokemon. I feel bad it took me forever to do this but... I will finish this. See you for Gen 3!

Generation 3 Review!
I have to be quite honest and say this is my least favorite generation. Honestly I don't care for RSE as a whole. I didn't care for the characters, I didn't care for the region or evil teams or the story. I wasn't very interested in Pokemon during this gen and if Gen 4 hadn't pulled me back I probably wouldn't even like pokemon now. But as with everything there's some things I do like here.

Favorites
milotic.png flygon.png torkoal.png shedinja.png seviper.png
All these pokemon have something in common. They have grown on me over the years. Milotic and Shedinja have a fun reason why I like them. So, story time!
Back then I completed all the Hoenn pokedex except for 4 pokemon: Shedinja, Azurill, Feebas and Milotic. I played for hours and hours but I just couldn't figure how to get these 4. Since I could never find out how to evolve Ninjask (yeah, I was that dumb) or hatch Azurill, I turned my attention to Feebas and Milotic. I knew the route where Feebas was supposed to be in, so I surfed and surfed and fished and fished for days and days until one fateful day there it was. The elusive Feebas. I finally caught it and tried to evolve it. But I tried every single method known to me at the time (level up, trade, trading with items, evolution stones, friendship) but nothing worked. Now around this time the pokemania was over and I couldn't find a guide to save my life but I swore that day that I would have a Milotic one day and love it. It wasn't until 2004 when I was in high school I finally got access to the internet and the first thing I did was look up how to get these 4 pokemon. And that night I got home and finally got all four.
Basically I had desired to get Milotic so much that it has remained one of my favorites. It's so slick and beautiful, the colors work perfectly and for some reason I love its cry. It's the same for Shedinja. I really wanted to have that pokemon. And it is so creative. I love the lore and the creepy implications of its back sprite. It's ability is just so fun to play with. Flygon is a cool mon all around, how can anyone not like it? Torkoal because of the anime and finally Seviper is one of those pokemon I started to like only a few years ago. It all started when I found a Shiny Seviper in a Zangoose horde. I had never seen its shiny but the colors mesmerized me and I grew to love it. Sadly couldn't save it from its enemies and it fainted but ever since that day I had a newfound love for Seviper.

Least favorites
regirock.png registeel.png swalot.png claydol.png exploud.png
When I played RSE I was very intrigued by the Regi subquest. I deciphered the braille, did all the puzzles and everything to unlock what would be some really cool legendaries. Oh the disappointment! I simply do not like them. I dislike Regice slightly less because Ice is one of my favorite types. But I hate the Regis. All of them. Swalot is just a bigger Gulpin, recolored. I don't like pollution pokemon like Weezing, Muk, Swalot and Trubbish. Quite literal garbage. Claydol is here because of my trypophobia. I can't stand to look at it for long. Exploud is so ugly, I hate that Whismur becomes this horrible mess.

Last edited:
Gen 3
The cutest
skitty.png azurill.png mudkip.png torchic.png luvdisc.png
This list was very easy because there's not a lot of cute pokemon in Gen 3. Skitty well obviously because I love pokemon with slanted eyes. I think they're pretty cute. Azurill is an adorable baby pokemon. Mudkip and Torchic are very very cute starters and I love them, but I despise their evolutions. Ew. And Luvdisc because of the romance aspect, it's so adorable. It warms my heart.

The coolest
tropius.png
sceptile.png
aggron.png
salamence.png
manectric.png

I loved dinosaurs when I was little so I find a lot of the more dinosaur-like pokemon introduced in Gen 3 very cool. To be honest I didn't think much of them back then but now I can really appreciate their designs. Sceptile and Salamence especially. Tropius looked a bit silly but its 3D model made me like it so much more. Aggron is a very cool dinosaur-like pokemon. And Manectric because I used to think it was wolf-like and I love wolves. As indifferent as I am to Gen 3, it does have some cool pokemon I love.

In fact I outright hate Dragonite and Mewtwo. Mewtwo because I think it's ugly and not very cool but very overrated. Dragonite is just such a disappointment. Dragonair is beautiful and Dragonite is just an orange barney with wings.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't really dig Dragonite that much; I don't hate it but I dislike the hype around it. It looks so goofy with those tiny wings and the plump body. At least they should redesign it with bigger wings. And yes, I agree too, Dragonair is so much better design-wise (why does it evolve from a blue, beautiful and elegant serpetine dragon to an orange Disney dragon lookalike, we'll never know).

Last edited:
Phanpy and Teddiursa are adorable. Sadly we'll never get Let's go versions with them because they were below the Johto Top 30 in popularity. :cry:

It's nice that at least someone did the Regi subquest without looking at the Internet. Also, its hilarious that it's 2020 and there isn't a game guide that helps you with the obscure evolution methods.

Claydol and Exploud actually grew on me over time, I kinda disliked them too when they came out first. Exploud in particular is very strong, and it survived my first ever nuzlocke in OR (along with my Crobat and my Electrode); it ended up defeating that damn Steven's Mega Metagross. I have to give credit to the Mon for this, despite its weird looks.

And Claydol is very unsettling, but since it looks like an alien, it was part of my Alien-themed team. Very dependable too.

It's nice that at least someone did the Regi subquest without looking at the Internet. Also, its hilarious that it's 2020 and there isn't a game guide that helps you with the obscure evolution methods.
back then there was no internet where I lived. So I looked for a book about braille and figured it all out. So yeah I was pretty disappointed with the Regis. And even if we don't have game guides at least we have the internet. There's no way I would've figured how to evolve Galarian Farfetch'd or Yamask without it.

And Claydol is very unsettling, but since it looks like an alien, it was part of my Alien-themed team. Very dependable too.
The eyes trigger my trypophobia that's why I can't stand it. Just thinking about them makes me shiver.

Well, there was one... for one pair of games. You could call Cheren on the Xtranceiver and he would tell you how Pokémon evolve. He even has special dialogue for branched evolutions.
the Xtransceiver rocked! too bad it's one of those really good features they give us in one game and then take away forever

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom