• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Thoughts and whatnot

Gen 3
The prettiest
milotic.png
roselia.png
delcatty.png
gardevoir.png
altaria.png

Milotic is said to be the most beautiful pokemon. IDK if I agree but it's certainly pretty. Roselia is also pretty. A thing about both is the combination between the shade of pink and the blue. I think those colors go well together. Delcatty is elegant and very pretty also. Altaria is a pokemon that I always thought looked a bit too pretty to be a dragon. Dragons were supposed to be tough in my mind but considering its origins I suppose it's ok. Gardevoir... let's just say I've seen some things about it I wish I never had *cough*rule 34*cough*

The spookiest
shuppet.png
banette.png
dusclops.png
cacturne.png
sableye.png

Shuppet and Banette are very scary if you consider their lore. An abandoned doll that vows to get revenge on the child who discarded it. Awesome and scary. Dusclops used to freak me out a bit having only one eye and looking like some sort of dead mummy. Cacturne is an equally scary prospect. Imagine being lost in the desert and have a Cacturne play with you as their prey. Yikes. Sableye has a very interesting origin and when I learned the story of the goblin that it is based on, it became scarier for me. All in all, love all of these.

Last edited:
Most unique
mawile.png
rayquaza.png
snorunt.png
swampert.png
metagross.png

I love pokemon based on Japanese yokai like Mawile and Snorunt here, because they are so interesting and unique. I love that kind of thing about Japanese culture. Metagross and Swampert could've been in the coolest list but I thought they'd fit better here. Let's just say even though they look weird as hell, they're very creative designs. Metagross is something I honestly would've never pictured as a pokémon.

Most forgettable
spinda.png
chimecho.png
castform.png
minun.png
plusle.png

Most of these are part of those gimmicky pokemon that exist solely to showcase new mechanics. But meh. Plusle and Minun are cute but also are every other electric rodent. Their gimmick is double battles so it stopped being interesting ages ago. Castform's gimmick is about weather. OK but weather existed since Gen 2. Why now? was it because the GBA had more processing power and its form changing schtick would have not been possible in GSC? Who knows. Chimecho is just... I don't even have anything to say about it. Spinda's gimmick I guess are IVs or something... it's really boring. No wonder they all got cut in Dexit.

Last edited:
Gen 4 Review
Gen 4 is my second favorite. It has my favorite games (Platinum, HG, SS) my favorite region, my favorite pokemon, my favorite anime arc. Everything! I love it so much. I've been eagerly waiting for DPP remakes for so long. I actually think Gen 7 would've been the perfect Gen for them because the themes in SuMoUSUM are very similar to DPP's (alternate universes and bending of time and space) but anyway. Here we go

Favorites
roserade.png
gallade.png
togekiss.png
mamoswine.png
lucario.png

Honestly I had like 15 pokemon in here. It was really hard for me to pick only 5 but I finally settled on these. Roserade has been my favorite Grass type for so long. It's so elegant, dashing and pretty and strong. I love it. Gallade because of its mega. I did not like Gallade so much but its mega sealed the deal for me. I really love those knight-in-shining-armor who save princesses concepts and Gallade fits it so well. Togekiss is adorable and so strong! Fighting Cynthia I couldn't believe Togekiss was sooo strong in battle, since Togetic sucked. Mamoswine is a natural progression from my love of Swinub and Piloswine. And finally Lucario. Ever since I saw it in Lucario and the mystery of Mew it has become my second favorite pokémon. I love it so much.

Least favorites
munchlax.png
lickilicky.png
tangrowth.png
magmortar.png
electivire.png

These are the (pre)evolutions that shouldn't exist. I know they exist because the preevos were garbage (well maybe Magmar and Electabuzz weren't, but they weren't competitive). But they are so ugly and hideous! They shouldn't exist IMO. Munchlax is in my dislike list because I came to abhor it since trying to find one on a Honey tree was absurdly hard. And I dislike it because I feel it's one of those overrated pokémon GF likes to shove down our throats. Eh

Last edited:
Gen 4 The cutest
pachirisu.png
cherubi.png
shinx.png
bidoof.png
shaymin-land.png

Pachirisu is very cute and after Pikachu it is the electric rodent I like best. Of course this is because of Dawn's Pachirisu in the anime. It's so cute. Cherubi is a pokemon that warms my heart. I really really like it. Shinx is super adorable. Bidoof is one of the cutest pokémon I've seen but! I know a lot of people dislike it and make fun of it. But I adore it because it is very cute. Shaymin is also very cute but I dislike the Sky forme. Not cute at all.

The coolest
luxray.png
staraptor.png
yanmega.png
toxicroak.png
darkrai.png

This list was also very hard to narrow down to only 5 pokémon. There are so many cool ones in Gen 4! Luxray is one of the best designs IMO. It's awesome. Staraptor surprised me back then. I was sort of expecting a generic bird like Pidgeot but it has a lot of personality! And it's very strong in battle. With Talonflame nerfed, I think it's become the strongest yet again. Toxicroak is an extremely cool pokémon IMO. And it's type combination is one I had wanted for long. Darkrai is one of my favorite pokémon. The design is very effective in being both cool and spooky. I didn't put it in the spooky list because its story is a bit more tragic. But it definitely is so cool!

The prettiest
cherrim.png
roserade.png
glaceon.png
glameow.png
cresselia.png

Cherrim and Roserade are here because I consider pokémon based on flowers to be really pretty. Especially Roserade. Glaceon is IMO the best looking eveelution. Glameow is a very pretty pokémon, too bad it's evolution is so ugly. Cresselia is very pretty and I love the colors on it. They look great.

The spookiest
skuntank.png
drapion.png
froslass.png
dusknoir.png
mismagius.png

These pokémon have very interesting origins and most of them are very scary. Froslass is based on yet another yokai and most of those are scary. Mismagius I guess could've also been in the pretty list but I put it here because of the creepy pokedex entries. Dusknoir is sort of based on a djinn and I know those are extremely scary. Drapion and Skuntank are wild and vicious and Drapion in particular could break you in half. That's a scary thought. Imagining a scorpion being so big scares me.

Most unique
dialga.png
palkia.png
giratina-altered.png
torterra.png
spiritomb.png

Say what you want about the Creation trio, but they are certainly very unique, space dragon things. Their lore is very interesting and I really like their designs, I consider them to be among the most creative legendaries. Torterra is a great concept, based on a very interesting myth and its type combination is still unique. Honestly I would've thought more pokemon would have that typing. Spiritomb is also great. I wanted to put it in the spooky list but it goes well here. The origins of Spiritomb are very creative and I love when pokemon pulls from obscure mythology to create something.

Most forgettable
chatot.png
bonsly.png
phione.png
chingling.png
porygon-z.png

Chatot is yet another gimmicky pokemon that faded fast. It was created I guess to showcase the DS's microphone but after that? Has it even been in other regions? IDEK. Bonsly and Chingling are also unnecessary. A lot of babies are but babies of already irrelevant pokemon feel like they shouldn't exist. Porygon-Z I always literally forget it exists. It's terrible competitively and it has remained in Porygon-2's shadow.

Last edited:
You know, I wonder if Spinda was an experiment to see if they could give individual Pokémon their own patterns, but then gave up on that.
Yeah I wonder what was the thought process behind it. I know its pattern is based on whatever hidden values the pokemon has, similar to how Unown's shape and Wurmple's evolution are also influeced by these.

They have not done that after they released Gen IV. Most of the attention has been on Snorlax.
Well I sort of lumped them together. I know you are right but seeing them both region after region, gen after gen has made me tired of both.

Well I sort of lumped them together. I know you are right but seeing them both region after region, gen after gen has made me tired of both.
Yes, but Munchlax borderline disappeared after Gen IV released, and they used it a lot because it was the first Gen IV Pokémon revealed. Snorlax, on the other hand, will possibly not disappear anytime soon.

Gen 5 Review!
Now it's time for the most divisive generation. People either hate or love it, but for sure everyone's got strong opinions on the matter. Personally I love the games' characters, plot and region. But the pokemon themselves.... the ones I love, I really freaking love them. But the ones I don't like, I hate them. So let's see

Favorites
hydreigon.png
chandelure.png
krookodile.png
golurk.png
galvantula.png

All of these are among my top favorites. Especially Hydreigon. Since Gen 2 I wondered what a Dark/Dragon could look like, what kind of Dragon would it be like. I sort of pictured it like the dragon in the animated version of Disney's Sleeping Beauty. You know, Maleficent before Angelina. And when I saw Hydreigon I was not disappointed! It instantly became one of my favorite pokémon. Chandelure is such a good concept, honest to God. I love the idea of a chandelier pokemon with ghostly fire. I couldn't believe they hadn't used that type combo before. Krookodile is a neat, slick design. So well done. Galvantula is the perfect combination of cool and cute. And finally Golurk is so amazing. The creativity in this was off-the-charts. Such a great design.

Least favorites
klinklang.png
landorus-incarnate.png
scrafty.png
conkeldurr.png
terrakion.png

I've never been a fan of pokemon whose evolution is just more of them. I don't like Magneton, Weezing, etc. And Klinklang is the worst of them. Landorus I hated it because it became so over-centralizing in the meta. It was on everyone's teams for years and years! I became sick of it and eventually hated it. Scrafty is such an ugly thing. That's my problem with a lot of Gen 5 pokemon. They look like Digimon or something else. They didn't feel pokémon-y to me. Conkeldurr is just hideous. Pass. Terrakion and the Swords of Justice as a whole are my least favorite legendary trios. But of the three I like Terrakion the least.

Last edited:
The cutest
mienfoo.png
oshawott.png
lillipup.png
panpour.png
audino.png

Mienfoo is a very cute pokemon. I wish there was more merchandise of it. I'd buy it. Mijumaru or Oshawott was the first Gen 5 pokemon I got really attached to. Back then everyone hated it and made fun of it. But I usually cheer for the underdog, so I began to like it. Ash's Oshawott in the anime was funny and cute so I really like this pokemon. Lillipup is just adorable. The elemental monkeys are also cute. I don't understand why they get so much hate. I wanted to put all 3 but decided on Panpour since I like its eyes. Audino is so much cuter than Chansey and just like Gallade, its Mega made me love it.

The coolest
druddigon.png
stoutland.png
escavalier.png
zoroark.png
zekrom.png

Druddigon is also a pokemon I wanted to have. A standalone dragon. The design didn't let me down. I love that combination of colors and it's based on a cool Welsh dragon. Stoutland is another pokemon the anime made me love. Initially I didn't think much of it but nowadays I love it. Escavalier is cool since it's related to knights and I like that concept. Zoroark is also a cool but underrated pokémon. Honestly I thought it'd be more popular. Zekrom is so cool it made me buy the White version without even thinking twice. One of the best legendaries.

The prettiest
lilligant.png
serperior.png
cinccino.png
volcarona.png
reshiram.png

Lilligant is a very pretty pokemon. Serperior is beautiful and regal, it really does have a lot of personality. Cinccino is also pretty but very underrated. I really do wish all these were a bit more popular. Reshiram is a great opposite to the cool Zekrom.

The spookiest
scolipede.png
jellicent.png
bisharp.png
yamask.png
cofagrigus.png

Scolipede I chose because... well have you seen its size? a bug this big would cause me a heart attack if it was real. Jellicent might seem cute but if you read its pokedex entries. They are dark. Also the female's faces somehow seem murderous to me. IDK. Bisharp is cool and scary and definitely one of the pokémon I feel best represent the Dark type. Yamask and Cofagrigus' lore is so dark. Like Yamask is the ghost of a person and the mask is their former face. It's pretty scary and disgusting

Most unique
samurott.png
sigilyph.png
haxorus.png
darmanitan-standard.png
vanilluxe.png

Samurott was a surprise. I was expecting something more... otter-ish as an evolution for Oshawott. But even though it was unexpected, it is a good, creative design. Sigilyph and Darmanitan are more of those pokemon with obscure origins. For me those make the most interesting pokemon. Haxorus is a great pokemon that ties together things that I didn't think could be combined to make a good design. Vanilluxe, whether you love it or hate it, you can't deny it's an idea no one would have seen becoming a pokémon. Jeez.

Most Forgettable
cryogonal.png
roggenrola.png
basculin-red-striped.png
heatmor.png
durant.png

Honestly I had forgotten half of these existed. Basculin and Roggenrola are so... dull. IDEK why they have been in almost every game since their introduction. Cryogonal is also very boring. Durant and Heatmor are nowhere near as charming as Zangoose and Seviper, they seem devoid of personality. I don't know why they keep bringing them back. These should've been cut with Dexit.

Last edited:
Well, in Basculin's case, it was a last minute addition because they realized they didn't have a Pokémon they could use in fresh water. So yeah, they had to do something quick which explains why it was so forgettable.

Alright, let's finish this review since it's taken so long. Let's review Generation 6 which just happens to be my favorite and it has some great designs that I truly love.

My favorites
aromatisse.png zygarde-50.png talonflame.png greninja.png aegislash-blade.png
One of the things I like about pokémon is the fact that just about any creature is someone's favorite. In a world of more than 7 billion people, someone, somewhere will like a Pokémon that is obscure and unpopular. For me, that's Aromatisse. I can't exactly explain what is it about it that I like, but I LOVE it. There, I said it. It's one of my favorites and I'm not ashamed to fanboy over it. Zygarde is yet again another pokémon the anime made me love and I will be forever salty there wasn't a Pokémon Z version. Talonflame is super awesome and used to be broken in competitive before they nerfed it. Ah, those were the days. Greninja is such a slick, cool design and I love it, it became my favorite starter even so I like that it is so popular around the world. Hell, it even won Pokémon of the Year. Aegislash is absolutely amazing and super creative and I love it. I have only love for this batch of pokémon.

My least favorites
pangoro.png klefki.png malamar.png barbaracle.png binacle.png
Unfortunately nothing in life can be perfect and despite Gen 6 being my favorite it has some stinkers in it. Klefki is alright I guess, but I'm not a fan of its design. Malamar is an interesting concept but the thing is hideous. I don't like it at all. Pangoro is also alright but I'm not a fan of how Pancham's evolution turned out. Also, I love pandas and I wanted a cute Panda so *disappointed*. And then we have my most hated pokémon in history: Binacle and Barbaracle. Like I said before, someone somewhere loves these things but I hate them and I am mad that they keep bringing them back in newer games while leaving other pokémon I like Glameow and Teddiursa in the limbo. Ugh

Last edited:
The cutest
dedenne.png espurr.png bunnelby.png fennekin.png chespin.png
All these are so adorable! Espurr has a bad reputation for being creepy, but the anime episode where it was featured made me love it! It's so cute and adorable. Bunnelby, Fennekin and Chespin are very cute too bad their evolutions turned out to be so awful. And Dedenne is one of the best Pikachu clones for me. It's really cute and has a nice typing. Love all of these.

The coolest
heliolisk.png tyrantrum.png clawitzer.png pyroar.png noivern.png
Again, these pokémon are all great. Heliolisk really surprised me during my playthrough of XY. It's a very useful Pokémon and its design is awesome. Tyrantrum is based on my favorite dinosaur. Yes I was a dinosaur fan as a kid. Clawitzer looks very cool and I love the color. I had read about blue lobsters and wished we could have one as a Pokémon so it was a nice surprise. Noivern is great too bad the anime spoiled the surprise. I still like it though.

Last edited:
The prettiest
vivillon.png florges.png sylveon.png aurorus.png diancie.png
Vivillon is really pretty since most of its forms have good colors and designs. Same with Florges. Sylveon is the prettiest eeveelution obviously but I like its shiny form much better. Aurorus is a great pokémon and one of my favorites. And Diance is one of the best mythicals. Again Gen 6 is my favorite so I adore most of the pokémon in this batch.

The spookiest
trevenant.png gourgeist-average.png yveltal.png hoopa-confined.png honedge.png
Trevenant and Gourgeist were the first Grass/Ghost pokémon and both are ideas I had as a kid for new Pokémon. It was great to see them become a reality. Although I would've preferred if Gourgeist was Grass/Fire. Yveltal is the DEATH pokémon, let's not sugarcoat things. I know they changed it because this is a franchise aimed at kids anyway, but I still like the inspiration behind it. Hoopa's unbound form is the one i find scary. It's based on djinns from Arabian mythology and well let's just say djinn stories gave me nightmares as a kid. Honedge itself isn't that scary but reading the pokédex gave me the creeps.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom