• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Thoughts on a Gen II VC release?

Do you want to see Gold/Silver/Crystal added to the Virtual Console?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Arcalargo

god of the Longbow!
Reaction score
So, we got Generation 1 released on the virtual console so that Nintendo could swim in our nostalgia bucks, and I'd like to know if you want them to release the Gen II games as well? If so, why? If not, why as well?

Me, I'd love to get a chance to have a copy of Gold/Silver/Crystal that wasn't on an exploding battery timer. This would be favorite generation if not for the battery issue and Nintendo can just have my money if they do this. Who's with me on this one?

I would really like this a lot. Johto is where I first started and I really want to see them on Virtual Console as well so Im hoping that the VC releases of RBY do well enough for them to consider putting GSC on it. It will be an instant buy of all 3 for me if it happens.

I support this happening seeing as they're direct sequels to RBY (mainly Yellow), however, I can completely understand if they don't do it. You see, the only way to visit Kanto on the 3DS before Gen I VC was to have HGSS, but you still would miss out on the original Kanto story unless you had a DS or GBA and FRLG, so RBY is the only way to play the original Kanto storyline on a 3DS, however, you CAN play through Johto and the sequel Kanto storyline via HGSS, meaning that now some variant of every region ever made is playable on the 3DS thanks to VC. I'd definitely get Crystal either way because, as you said, Nintendo swims in our nostalgia bucks, but I do have HGSS so I'll always be able to play those and get a more complete and up-to-date experience.

Not much to say about this. No one should object to a VC release, unlike remakes that take resources from other projects.

I just want the Mobile Adapter services to be revived, but I am not holding my breath on that one.

Shiny Celebi said:
Im hoping that the VC releases of RBY do well enough for them to consider putting GSC on it.
1.5 million downloads in a month is pretty amazing for VC games, especially considering that they're twice as expensive as the norm.

Last edited:
I'd love to see a VC re-release of G/S/C. Pokemon Silver was my first Pokemon game and being able to play it again, along with the other second generation games, would be so much more of a nostalgic trip for me than the first generation games have been. It would be really fun to experience my first Pokemon game again. I do think it will happen eventually. They've already opened the floodgates with re-releases of older main series games with R/B/Y and the sales have been extremely good for those re-releases as well, so I think that they'd be interested in doing the same thing with some more older titles. It may not happen too soon, especially when they'd want to keep the main focus on Sun/Moon for awhile, but I could see it happening eventually. I'd buy all three games in a heartbeat too.

Seems like a no brainer 'yes' from me. I'd love to play through Gen II again just for the nostalgia alone. It was super comfy, loved the region, loved the music, loved the graphics.

The opportunity to play through one of my favourite Pokémon generations once again? I say, "Yes please with a Gold Berry on top!" :LOL:
You see, the only way to visit Kanto on the 3DS before Gen I VC was to have HGSS, but you still would miss out on the original Kanto story unless you had a DS or GBA and FRLG, so RBY is the only way to play the original Kanto storyline on a 3DS, however, you CAN play through Johto and the sequel Kanto storyline via HGSS, meaning that now some variant of every region ever made is playable on the 3DS thanks to VC.
Aside from the Sevii Islands, you mean? ;)

(I'd bring up Orre as well, but a lot of people treat the GCN titles as spin-offs, so I won't bother.)

An unequivocal yes.

... But if they do, I'd want them to at least announce it before Sun and Moon come out. I don't want my Pokémon from the VC versions of RBY to make the one way trip to Gen VII, only for GSC to be announced for a re-release, leaving me unable to finish the Gen II Pokédex properly, as completing the New Pokédex in GSC requires Pokémon exclusive to RBY that you can only catch once, such as the Legendary Birds.

Even though I have HGSS, I'd want this for 3 reasons.

1. Pure nostalgia. Silver was my first game and I desperately want it back in working order.
  2. I never actually got to play Crystal. HGSS includes almost all of it, but there's a couple unique things that got ommited
  3. I want to finally connect Gen 2 with the rest of the series. It's been 16 years. It's time for the original Johto to join the combined Pokemon world.

Going by merchandise trends, i'd say that GSC being released on the Virtual Console soon is fairly likely. There is a Johto edition Monopoly on the horizon, as well as this:

Oh, and there's also the recent Johto Classic Battle Competition, so it seems that Game Freak/The Pokemon Company are in full Gen II mode and somewhat intent on bringing it to the fore in our minds.

I really wouldn't say no to having these on the 3DS. I had a blast with Yellow and downloaded Blue recently, which is currently untouched. Depending on what incentives we have for sending our Pokemon to Sun/Moon via Pokemon Bank, I look forward to first sending them from Gen I to Gen II if and when GSC are released.

It would also be nice to have the option to play GSC without the worry of an impending dry battery. My Silver cartridge gave up the ghost a few years ago, and I would imagine that Crystal isn't too far away from the same fate if it hasn't packed in already. Luckily my most treasured Pokemon from that cartridge (including a soft-resetted Shiny Suicune!) are tucked away in the N64 Boxes on Stadium 2.

Last edited:
The opportunity to play through one of my favourite Pokémon generations once again? I say, "Yes please with a Gold Berry on top!" :LOL:

Aside from the Sevii Islands, you mean? ;)

(I'd bring up Orre as well, but a lot of people treat the GCN titles as spin-offs, so I won't bother.)

Yeah my post was entirely directed to the main, handheld series, although the Sevii Islands is its own discussion for another time, for whatever reason it was left out in HGSS when most people clearly would've liked that to be built on, I doubt the game would've had any trouble holding Johto, Kanto, and the Sevii Islands, this isn't to say the Sevii Islands don't exist, you clearly fight a pre-Johto game Archer on them, but anyways...

HGSS is playable on the 3DS, Gen I was the only generation completely unplayable in any form or reincarnation on the 3DS until VC, is this a good enough reason not to put GSC on VC? Most likely not, I would definitely buy, at the very least, Crystal, currently having an absolute blast on Yellow with my friend who got Red and we keep battling after every couple gym leaders.

Hmmm...I just thought of something. Should G/S/C ever come to the VC, I wonder if Nintendo will consider allowing players to get Celebi and the GS Ball legitimately? I mean, the event was a Japanese exclusive, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo has the power to make changes to the games. Didn't they do that for Yellow regarding the whole surfing Pikachu mini game and change Jynx's design? I don't see why they can't implement the GS Ball and Celebi in the games should they ever come out on VC. Maybe they can do something with it like have it be accessible after you beat the Elite Four or Red or something.

Last edited:
I would absolutely love if GSC came to 3DS VC. Sooner the better, I say. Would be amazing if they made a surprise GSC VC announcement during E3 and released them during the summer!

I'd love to see GSC on Virtual Console. I haven't gotten RBY on it, and I probably wouldn't get GSC either because money OP. It'd still be nice to have them there though. If they can do it for RBY, why not GSC?

Back
Top Bottom