• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Thoughts on a Gen II VC release?

Do you want to see Gold/Silver/Crystal added to the Virtual Console?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
So here's a hypothetical scenario: Let's say Nintendo reveals Pokémon GSC for 3DS during the Treehouse Sun and Moon presentation, and basically announces that all three games are immediately available for purchase; the problem is you only have enough to buy one of them at the moment. Which one do you choose first (or at all, if there's only one version you want to get)?

For me, it'd probably be Silver. It's the only Gen II Pokémon game I've owned so far, and thus is the one for which I have the most nostalgia. Plus, Lugia's the mascot. Pokémon the Movie 2000 single-handedly made Lugia my favourite version mascot without question (sorry, Charizard), so it stands to reason that I'd choose Silver!

Starter-wise, I'd probably pick Totodile, since it was the first Gen II starter I ever chose, and is still my equal-favourite basic starter form of that generation. Cyndaquil can wait for Crystal Version.

I can definately see it happening sometime later in the year, but before Sun and Moon. Possibly as part of a direct in August 'bout.

According to this article on Serebii, there are more Pokémon VC titles promised for North America during the summer months. My inner-teen wants to believe that the Gen II games will be included in this lineup, hopefully for a global release, but my outer-adult wants to wait and see if that is indeed the case.

According to this article on Serebii, there are more Pokémon VC titles promised for North America during the summer months. My inner-teen wants to believe that the Gen II games will be included in this lineup, hopefully for a global release, but my outer-adult wants to wait and see if that is indeed the case.

3DS
  • Pokemon Trading Card Game
  • Pokemon Puzzle Challenge
  • Pokemon Red and Green
  • Pokemon Blue
  • Pokemon Red and Blue
  • Pokemon Yellow

Wii U
  • Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire
  • PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
  • Pokemon Ranger
  • Pokemon Snap
  • Pokemon Puzzle League
That leaves...

Game Boy - Pokemon Pinball
Game Boy Color - Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
Nintendo 64 - Pokemon Stadium, Hey You, Pikachu!, and Pokemon Stadium 2
Game Boy Advance - Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen
GameCube - Pokemon Channel, Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, and Pokemon Colosseum
DS - Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver, Pokemon Dash, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness (doesn't seem to be happening tbh), Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia, Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs, Pokemon Black/White/Black 2/White 2, and Pokemon Conquest
Wii - Pokemon Battle Revolution and PokePark 2: Wonders Beyond

I doubt the main series for Generations 3-5 will happen right now. Same goes for Hey You, Pikachu!, XD, Colosseum, Battle Revolution, and Explorers of Time/Darkness. All the others are fair game.

EDIT: Forgot about Pokemon Dash.

Last edited:
I loaded my Crystal cartridge for the first time in a few months last night and found that the internal battery has finally died. That marks the end of an era as both my Silver and Crystal GB cartridges are now unplayable.

RIP Easter the Chansey, called such as I was searching for one holding a Lucky Egg a few years ago (1% encounter rate with 8% chance of one holding said item) and happened to find one on Good Friday. Apart from a couple of other sad losses, the rest of my trained Pokemon from that file are safely tucked away in the N64 Boxes on Stadium 2.

Virtual Console announcement come on!... :3

If and when we have Gen II VC titles, which features would you want to see fully-implemented? Here's my wishlist:

•Real-time clock feature synced to the 3DS' internal clock - I feel this is the least possible on this list, but it'd be so much easier to reset the game clock and adjust for DST if it is included!

•Fully-working Time Capsule, aka backwards-compatibility with the Gen I VC titles - How else would you be able to complete the New Pokédex?

•Full Mystery Gift support - The 3DS has an IR port, so surely that would mean the return of Mystery Gift, right?

•"Link to Wii U" menu option - Only needed if the Stadium titles (or at least Stadium 2) make it to Wii U VC. Speaking of which...

Pokémon Stadium 2 (and possibly Pokémon Stadium) for Wii U VC - What better time to bring them back than the 20th Anniversary of the entire franchise?

Going by merchandise trends, i'd say that GSC being released on the Virtual Console soon is fairly likely. There is a Johto edition Monopoly on the horizon, as well as this:

Oh, and there's also the recent Johto Classic Battle Competition, so it seems that Game Freak/The Pokemon Company are in full Gen II mode and somewhat intent on bringing it to the fore in our minds.

We have to keep in mind that this is the series as a whole's 20th anniversary. For all we know, Johto getting it's own and battle competition might just be foreshadowing the other regions getting ones.

And wait, that's factually right:
Cl-XZIPWQAAUr6M.jpg:small

I'm not saying GSC aren't going to get a vc release, but i don't think that Johto getting a monopoly themed after it and it's own "classic" competition is a sign that they're getting one.

-------------------

Back on topic, i personnaly don't have nostalgic value for GSC(i started with gen 3), so i'm more or less indifferent if GSC gets a VC release or not. However, i certainly wouldn't be against them getting ported to the vc, because like Silktree said, vc releases don't take resources from other games/projects, unlike remakes. But you never know, maybe RBGY was just a sepecial exeption.

Considering we getting a lot of spin-off games on the virtual console, it is possible to see GSC on virtual console at some point and they might even see 3DS with already downloaded GSC game.

I do have a thought about a Gen 2 VC release: Would it be Game Boy Original or Game Boy Color?

For comparison, I really miss all those the Super Game Boy -specific colors from Gen 1.

My guess is Game Boy Color, in much the same manner as the non-Japanese Pokémon Yellow Version VC releases.

I believe they will go for it after a Sinnoh remake, whenever that happens, since Johto would then be the region we haven't seen the longest time and it should make its return. It is also very possible so that there is a continuity to the Gen 1 VC. Gen 2 were Gen 1's sequels after all.

Back
Top Bottom