• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Thoughts on BW

I like Best wishes, but I agree with the haters about how garbage the Unova League was.

EDIT: I'm not trying to be rude, but it seems to me that people on this website are so obsessed with their hate for Best Wishes and for Iris (and Cameron, and I don't even like him!). I'm not saying that fans shouldn't criticize Best Wishes either, so don't take it that way.

Last edited:
I don't really see how getting excited over cute Pokemon is akin to being a rookie. That doesn't really seem like those two things would connect with each other. Plenty of experienced trainers in the main cast have gotten excited over cute Pokemon. The fact that she couldn't get Axew to master Dragon Rage, the weakest Dragon type move, definitely gave off the impression that she was a rookie at the start of the series, even though she technically caught Excradill much earlier than when she was given Axew. At the very least, I don't think a trainer who had won nearly one hundred battles before starting their journey would have had as much trouble with teaching another Pokemon a pretty weak move. Once they introduced the Dragon Master goal, they doubled down on Iris being this Dragon type expert and a gifted trainer super hard and fast.
Ahh, I wasn’t really sure what you meant by Iris ascending from rookie to expert so quickly. So I kinda put words in your mouth and assumed. Sorry about that bro.

I don't dislike Black and White, in fact it's one of my favorite seasons. I know this is an unpopular opinion but I enjoyed it more than XY or Diamond and Pearl even though I love Contests and Showcases, this doesn't mean that I think that BW has more quality, but while I enjoyed XY and DP a lot, I prefer BW because Cilan is my favorite character in Pokémon, he's adorable :bulbaLove:, and though I disliked Iris at first, she's now one of my favorite Pokégirls. Also, while I don't dislike Dawn, I never liked her personality that much, and Brock is fine but he's kind of boring in my opinion. But still there are several things that I didn't like:

- Ash was obviously more clueless than usual, I guess they wanted to "reset him" because they believed that with everything he learned so far he would overcome everything very easily or something like that, maybe as a way to keep the statu quo of the series. I think the solution was to make Unova a "tougher" region like they did with Kalos instead of dumbing Ash.

- While now I like Iris a lot, which started with the Deino episode, her "You're just a kid" was really annoying. I'm sure that without that catchphrase, even keeping her same personality, she would be much less hated.

- Trip, this guy was annoying as hell, and his catchphrase :mad:. I hate Paul but at least he is a perfect rival for Ash, being his counterpart in almost every way. This guy is just a newbie who thinks he's an expert, he's the character I hate the most in Pokémon, if I knew him I would forget the pokémon battles and make him eat his camera :annoyedVoltorb:... Ok, I better calm down :whistle:.

- A lot of Ash's Pokémon were underused, and I wish many of them had evolved, especially Snivy, she would have been a fabulous Serperior.

- Georgia was also an annoying rival, her whole "If I lose to a Pokémon that isn't a Dragon type the loss doesn't count" was so pathetic, it's better to have no rival than to have her as a rival.

- I liked the rest of the rivals (Except Cameron), I wish they had done more, and that trip and georgia didn't exist. A rival doesn't necessarily have to be antagonistic outside of battles.

- About the Pokémon League, Cameron's victory was a Deus ex Machina, only that in this case is in favor of the rival, so I think it's a Diabolus ex Machina :ROFLMAO:. This type of luck is usually owned by the protagonist, but even if Cameron was the protagonist it would be terrible, maybe even more. It feels like an undeserved victory, it was lucky enough that his Riolu evolved into an overpowered Lucario, but it was really necessary for him to do it with only 5 pokémon?. It's not like those cases where the dumb-looking character really is a genius when it comes to action, they made an Ash that was a bit dumbed lose to someone even dumber than him. What can I say, I think arceus (or Giratina) was in favor of Cameron.

- Skyla :mad:, the anime really made me hate her, the whole "I don't need to battle, I just need to see your pokémon to know if I win of not" is ridiculous to say the least :cautious:.

- I would have liked to see more of Cilan's profession, his dream wasn't to win a competition, so it would have been nice to see him become a S-class Connoisseur. I also wish Iris' story had a better resolution.

- I actually liked the new Team Rocket, it was good to know a more serious side of them and see them doing something different, Meowth spending so much time with them and then having the nerve to betray them with that psycho smile was honestly terrifying. I would have liked to see more of them in this facet.

Last edited:
I did like the Meowth betrayal arc, because it ended with the best line from Ash. “I’ll always treasure the moments we had.” He’s a giant sap who thinks the best of his enemies, for the most part. He enjoys the journey, and generally a glass half full kinda guy. That’s kinda why I like bw.

Skyla :mad:,the anime really made me hate her, the whole "I don't need to battle, I just need to see your pokémon to know if I win of not" is ridiculous to say the least :cautious:

I must say, as much as I disliked Paul, I would have loved for him to have appeared in this season and witness how Skyla awarded trainers by having air battles in her head.

It would have been very satisfying to watch him give Skyla a well deserved tounge lashing about how pathetic of a gym leader she was for just giving away gym badges like candy.

Last edited:
I must say, much as I disliked Paul, I would have LOVED for him to have appeared in the anime and witness how Skyla had air battles in her head.

It would have been very satisfying to watch him give Skyla a well deserved tounge lashing about how pathetic of a gym leader she was for just giving away gym badges like candy.

Omg yes! I hate Paul but seeing him roasting Skyla would have been amazing. The truth is that Skyla was lucky that her gym was only visited by meek trainers who followed her game, if a trainer with less patience had come to her gym surely that trainer would have given her a bunch of insults.

Which is what happened with Ash and Cilan.

Yes you're right, but though they were very bothered by Skyla's attitude, they confronted her in a relatively polite way. If a trainer with a personality similar to Paul for example had come to her gym instead, she would had a very bad time. She was very lucky that trainers like Ash and Cilan were the ones who made her see reason.

Yes you're right, but though they were very bothered by Skyla's attitude, they confronted her in a relatively polite way. If a trainer with a personality similar to Paul for example had come to her gym instead, she would had a very bad time. She was very lucky that trainers like Ash and Cilan were the ones who made her see reason.
If anyone who has a bad temper like Paul came around before Ash, damn, Skyla wouldn't have heard the end of it. They would chew her out for doing that.

If anyone who has a bad temper like Paul came around before Ash, damn, Skyla wouldn't have heard the end of it. They would chew her out for doing that.
Paul: Ur pathetic! This isn’t even a Gym Battle! Electivire! Electrocute her!
Electivire: Electivire!
Skyla: AAAH!
Swanna: Swaan!

I just realized that Electivire wouldn't be able to cross the border cuz it wasn't part of the og BW Pokédex lol.

Now that I think about it, he seems like the guy who would have a Zebstrika :unsure: :unsure: It's just as moody as him.

I mean, he didn’t do that with Volkner, why would he do it to Skyla? Usually the people who attack trainers with Pokémon are the invincible Pokémon bros or Hunter J

Skyla is worse than him.
Let me rephrase. The people who attack other trainers with their Pokémon either can’t accept consequences for their actions or are criminals. Paul is a jackass when it comes to training, but he isn’t narcissistic. As bad as skyla is I can’t see anyone attacking her. Paul would definitely go full verbal abuse on Skyla.

Let me rephrase. The people who attack other trainers with their Pokémon either can’t accept consequences for their actions or are criminals. Paul is a jackass when it comes to training, but he isn’t narcissistic. As bad as skyla is I can’t see anyone attacking her. Paul would definitely go full verbal abuse on Skyla.
Tbh she deserves to be zapped.

Omg yes! I hate Paul but seeing him roasting Skyla would have been amazing. The truth is that Skyla was lucky that her gym was only visited by meek trainers who followed her game, if a trainer with less patience had come to her gym surely that trainer would have given her a bunch of insults.

I wanted to add that this basically showed how much Ash matured. Kanto Ash would have just taken the badge from Skyla without any hesitation (since he was so used to earning pity badges). In this case (& other ones), Ash wants to win badges fair & square.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom