• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Thoughts on Galarian Ponyta?

Honestly think Celebi should have been retyped, too, especially considering how common Psychic mythicals are. But I guess Celebi does have the time travel thing going for it-Future Sight definitely marks that as a Psychic ability.

(I do really like your idea of a cosmic Rapidash! It'd definitely rescue the typing for me!)
tbf, time-displacement is not an uncommon trope in faerie lore either, nor are visions of the future. It just depends on flavouring, and I agree that Celebi could have been retyped as fairy, but GF probably didn't want to mess with mythicals and legendaries.

Since Galarian Ponyta got a new ability anyway, I don't see why they wouldn't make it fairy and give it immunity to poison due to its ability?
P.S. I kinda wish Celebi, Swablu and Altaria, Jirachi, the Lake pixies, and Cresselia were retconned into being Fairy type as well. Psychic is over represented in legendaries, while fairy is somewhat underrepresented due to its relative newness. Though Marill and Dedenne could have gone without it.
Nah, I think the lake trio is far more suited to psychic, as they represent the psyche of all living beings. Cresseciala could probably have used a double typing, as she's currently weak against Darkrai, even though her feathers are supposed to cure bad dreams caused by it. And I feel like Swablue, Altaria, and Jirachi could go either way. That said, Psychic (and Dragon) are both overrepresented among legendaries, so I hope these newer generations will rectify this more.

Also, the pastel colours and the way the mane lights up reminds me a little of some of the psychic type attacks. I think for Galarian Ponyta, it's really gonna depend on Rapidash how well its psychic type will fit.

Regardless, I'm excited to use it in the future

tbf, time-displacement is not an uncommon trope in faerie lore either, nor are visions of the future. It just depends on flavouring, and I agree that Celebi could have been retyped as fairy, but GF probably didn't want to mess with mythicals and legendaries.

Since Galarian Ponyta got a new ability anyway, I don't see why they wouldn't make it fairy and give it immunity to poison due to its ability?

Nah, I think the lake trio is far more suited to psychic, as they represent the psyche of all living beings. Cresseciala could probably have used a double typing, as she's currently weak against Darkrai, even though her feathers are supposed to cure bad dreams caused by it. And I feel like Swablue, Altaria, and Jirachi could go either way. That said, Psychic (and Dragon) are both overrepresented among legendaries, so I hope these newer generations will rectify this more.

Also, the pastel colours and the way the mane lights up reminds me a little of some of the psychic type attacks. I think for Galarian Ponyta, it's really gonna depend on Rapidash how well its psychic type will fit.

Regardless, I'm excited to use it in the future

holding fingers for winged psychic/fairy with levitate

I feel like the Lake Trio could be dual Psychic/Fairy while Cresselia pure Fairy. And what about Altaria says, “Dragon” (I’m aware it’s named after a star in the Dragon constellation but I think that’s a pretty weak reason for a typing), plus its Mega form is Fairy already.

I feel like the Lake Trio could be dual Psychic/Fairy while Cresselia pure Fairy. And what about Altaria says, “Dragon” (I’m aware it’s named after a star in the Dragon constellation but I think that’s a pretty weak reason for a typing), plus its Mega form is Fairy already.
well, it seems to be based on the Peng, which is a mythical chines birds which starts its life as a fish. Obviously altaria does not start as a fish, but I reckon that's where the dragon type comes from? A little like magikarp/gyarados, except gyarados isn't a dragon type...

and true, its mega is fairy, but it's the flying type that's dropped rather than the dragon type, so I guess that means... something?

GF is a little weird with typing sometimes, including now Galarian Ponyta, but normally choices aren't really outlandish

Last edited:
GF is a little weird with typing sometimes, including now Galarian Ponyta, but normally choices aren't really outlandish

That‘s the thing, like I said before the game is usually so good at telegraphing typing through looks and context alone that it gets a little frustrating when something breaks the pattern.

For the most part even unexpected typings have some justification, it’s just that there’s a much more obvious one in some cases and obvious tends to be the rule here. Not just Pokémon themselves, but moves, Trainers, areas...

Kiawe - Fire dancer, found at a volcano, hair sticks up like a flame, skin the color of volcanic soil, red accents in hair and costume. Guess which type he uses

Guzma - Thug dressed in black with a ferocious attitude, called ”destruction in human form”, wearing funky shades and guyliner, leads a band of gangstas. Joke’s on you, he uses 0 Dark types*

*not in the main story anyway

I feel like Ponyta got the psychic typing instead of fairy typing because of things like My Little Pony Friendship is Magic where the unicorns can use their horns to lift things with magic. It's the only example of that I can think of that uses the horn to lift things like with psychic powers. Because as far as I know with Unicorn lore, that's not exactly a power I think they have. (MLP would also explain why they made a pokemon that was already a pony and even more diminutive looking pony).

If I had my way, a pure fairy Ponyta and Rapidash line would end up looking more like the unicorn from The Last Unicorn book and animated movie.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom