• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Thoughts on Galarian Ponyta?

I think it looks pretty! I might actually use it in the games if I can catch one, especially if I don't end up choosing Scorbunny as my starter.

To be honest, I'm neutral towards it. The galarian form is also a bit cutesy for me. It feels like something you'd see in the little girls' aisle at a toy store. I don't care about unicorns either, so I'm not too hyped up about it. I don't hate it though.

Regular Ponyta and Rapidash were also never that interesting to me in the first place, so there's not much else I can say about it. Pegasus Rapidash might be cool though. Pegasi are unicorns, only better.

Last edited:
Not a giant fan, myself braces for impact

I just don't really like unicorns all that much, I hate how cutesy-rainbowy they are in media.

Having said that, if Rapidash IS some kind of Pegasus, I'll definitely have to reevaluate.

The cutesification of unicorns seems to be an American thing and I suspect Hasbro has a hand in it. Japan on the other hand has shown that unicorns and pegasi can look sufficiently majestic and powerful. The best example I can think of is Pegasus/Helios from Sailor Moon Super S.

If Pokemon, being a Japanese media franchise, goes that route with Galarian Rapidash then I’m back on board.

ponyta-2-720x369.jpg
I quite like Galarian Ponyta's design, I think the colors are nice and I like the coloration of the alicorn (that's what the horn of the unicorn is called; MLP uses it to refer to winged unicorns). Maybe it's because I was a MLP: Friendship is Magic fan a while ago (watched up to halfway through season 4 or 5, can't remember which).

I hope their Pokedex entries and behavior tie into the original lore of unicorns: wild, violent, and untameable creatures that could only be calmed by a virgin girl instead of the more cutesy view we hold of them today. Though, judging by their coloration and behavior I think that's unlikely...

I like it! It’s definitely cute and those are usually the kinds of Pokémon designs I’m drawn to. I’d love to use it in Camping!

Also, I don’t mean to be that guy, but do we really need a separate thread for each individual Pokémon reveal (Sirfetch’d, Ponyta etc.)? I feel like it could just all go in the thread made recently by SpinyShell.

How likely do you guys think are the chances of a new regional evolution for Rapidash?

How likely do you guys think are the chances of a new regional evolution for Rapidash?
It's always a possibility for a regional variant that isn't part of a 3 stage line, but I feel that it would be a little redundant when they could just take many liberties with Rapidash. Its BST isn't the problem with its viability, and anything else is malleable.

fairy, fairy/dark, fairy/ghost?
Rapidash could be a pegasus fairy/flying but we got levitate and magnet rise too.
looking at it's horn and that it produces mist?
a Misty Surge caster or they will create a fairy equivalent for Flash Fire too

Even though fairy is my favourite type, im not really a big fan on the design. I know unicorns are supposed to be fluffy and magical and such but G-ponyta is a little too much, it looks like an OC straight from MLP fandom

Id still call this a huge improvement though because kanto ponyta is honestly pretty bland or forgettable whereas galar ponyta has a very unique design

It's always a possibility for a regional variant that isn't part of a 3 stage line, but I feel that it would be a little redundant when they could just take many liberties with Rapidash. Its BST isn't the problem with its viability, and anything else is malleable.
I don't think BST is the only reason why some get an evolution.

I still hope Rapidash will get an evolution, though. Them marketing more regional evolutions would make some sense.

I love it!! looks really cute and I kinda wonder if it will be part electric type. I know that sounds a little odd, but beyond cotton candy, its hair reminds me of clouds and they do some sort of glowing effect. Fairy/Electric?

Edit "heat lightening" has a few colors and lights up the clouds and are often distant flashes... something that happened often in the nature camera.

Last edited:
I love it!! looks really cute and I kinda wonder if it will be part electric type. I know that sounds a little odd, but beyond cotton candy, its hair reminds me of clouds and they do some sort of glowing effect. Fairy/Electric?

Edit "heat lightening" has a few colors and lights up the clouds and are often distant flashes... something that happened often in the nature camera.

That's an interesting take! I had never thought of it, but yes there is a lot of flashing shown with the Galarian Ponytas. I was thinking it was just some kind of fairy magic for show, but you make an interesting case for otherwise.

That would complicate things, because a lot of people think that Galarian Rapidash will be Fairy/Flying, but what would happen if Galarian Ponyta is Fairy/Electric?

It's cute. I like the glowing light effect, and the black horn is neat, but other than that it's pretty much what I expected from a regional Ponyta variant. That particular box has now been ticked, so I'm content.

If Galarian Rapidash gains wings, I'm nicknaming mine (Princess) Celestia.

Not a real fan of it. Not only is it diabetic-level cutesy (as in MLP cute, which is a franchise I despise with a burning passion), but it's yet another Kanto Mon getting the regional variant treatment. That alone has soured my opinion on it. Not to mention this whole 24-hour "stream" was just so we can see one new Mon is rather pointless. If they were going to waste 24 hours, they should've at least showed another new Mon or regional variant to go with it, otherwise it was a waste of time, right up there with the "Rotom glitch" idea. Sorry to say, but I'm just not feeling it.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom