• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Thoughts on Galarian Ponyta?

I mean, putting aside the fact that it's yet another Kanto Pokemon getting a new form (which, I know, is getting really old at this point), I actually genuinely like its design. That said, I wish Game Freak would give some other generations some love. I'm hoping Zigzagoon wasn't some sort of one-off exception...

It's super adorable! That hair is everything and I love how it glows. I also love how short it is compared to Kantonian Ponyta, making it look even more like a small pony. My type guess albeit obvious is pure Fairy-type although I would love if it was Fire/Fairy-type. I hope that for the sake of my OCD that if it's pure Fairy-type that they change its category from the Fire Horse Pokémon to something along the lines of Fairy Horse Pokémon.

that Horn... Horn Leech user... also could get new fairy physical horn move :)

Hope it hapens Sylph Horn or Magic Horn or something that way.

Hmmm Disarming voice will fit it for sure and seriously after 2 gen with special oriented fairies now time to physical them up a little.

The color of it's horn and the mist that comes out of it's tail and hair indicates Misty Surge but also could be hint at secondary typing like ghost or dark with levitate or maybe flying... all 3 type choices very rare seriously especialy fairy/dark.

So apparently Galarian Ponyta is a Shield exclusive, which means I'm back to Galarian Weezing as my primary Fairy type.

I thought I'd have to find a workaround for that ability but then I remembered Neutralizing Gas. Still, when that's not on the field Pastel Veil is a really useful ability.

Didn’t see it being a Psychic type, but I’m not complaining, I wanted to include at least one Galarian Form on my ingame team, so I guess that frees up a space for Alcremie or Togekiss.

Even cooler would be if Gloria actually owns a Galarian Ponyta in the anime or manga.

So far IMO:
Allister > Bea
G Ponyta > Sirfetch’d

Shield: 2
Sword: 0

Lol finding out that it's shield exclusive and also psychic type is such a double whammy...

It's ability is however really cool, though it would have been a lot more useful if it was a fairy type I think?

Last edited:
Psychic type is the defacto type for space Pokemon and legendaries/mythical along with Dragon. They are the 5th most common type. This type of love is unnecessary.
? This is the first and so far the only Psychic type we’ve even gotten for gen 8 so far.

? This is the first and so far the only Psychic type we’ve even gotten for gen 8 so far.

I meant in general.

The person I was responding to was saying that was about time Psychic types got love with Galarian Ponyta being made Psychic instead of the more obvious Fairy type.

Also what does Galarian Ponyta being the first Psychic type of the generation justify its typing? By that logic it could also be an Ice type.

I meant in general.

The person I was responding to was saying that was about time Psychic types got love with Galarian Ponyta being made Psychic instead of the more obvious Fairy type.

Also what does Galarian Ponyta being the first Psychic type of the generation justify its typing? By that logic it could also be an Ice type.
That’s...not at all the logic I was using. You were talking about how Psychic being the 5th most common type should be a reason against Ponyta being given that type. My point is it doesn’t matter how many we’ve gotten in the past when gen 8 hadn’t even gotten one yet.

Plus since when does it matter what “the more obvious” (which btw is mostly subjective) type would be? I personally enjoy when a Pokémon’s design doesn’t automatically tell you its type.

Psychic type is the defacto type for space Pokemon and legendaries/mythical along with Dragon. They are the 5th most common type. This type of love is unnecessary.

???

I mean, my comment was not meant to invoke any kind of logic if that makes you feel any better.

It seems to me that we've had so many fairy types revealed over the past few gens I've gotten a little tired of the "oh look a cute girly looking Pokemon, guess it's fairy.

While I am partial to the psychic types and the psychic types we've been getting over the past few gens have been sub-par. I probably would have been happy had it been revealed to be a flying type or grass type or something as well. Because I honestly am getting really close to being sick of fairy types.

Well, I researched a little and psychic type actually makes sense if you consider the lore behind unicorns. They are typically seen as antidotes so them being a type that's strong against poison type makes sense.

I feel I must remind everyone that Alolan Vulpix was a pure Ice-type who evolves into the Ice/Fairy Alolan Ninetales. I'd hold off on the Fairy floodgates until we see what they've got in mind for Rapidash.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom