• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Thoughts on Galarian Ponyta?

Honestly, count me in with those annoyed that it's not Fairy. In addition to the whole glimmering lights and fairy tales stuff, the lore behind it states that the change came as a result of being exposed to the life energy of the forests in Galar, and that's definitely the Fairy-type's shtick. (Xerneas, Flabebe line, the Tapus, Comfey...)

I love the lore behind its ability, but that's not enough to justify a Psychic typing IMO. Beating Poison is only one trait of Psychic-types, and it's not even unique to them. Why not make it a Ground-type instead? Or Steel, since they're immune to Poison moves? (Plus, the whole "protecting allies from status afflictions" is also more associated with Fairy-Sweet Veil and Aroma Veil, anyone?)

Beyond that, though, I think it's great! Love the colors, and I think it was a great change for a regional form!
Taking its lore into consideration it's actually even weirder it not being fairy. But what about things like Celebi?

That's why I stick with my theory :wynaut:(it's the only way to explain the mess of types distribution in general), so even if Galarian Ponyta has that fairy-like background, it would not mean fairy is the type it has the most affinity for.

Taking its lore into consideration it's actually even weirder it not being fairy. But what about things like Celebi?

That's why I stick with my theory :wynaut:(it's the only way to explain the mess of types distribution in general), so even if Galarian Ponyta has that fairy-like background, it would not mean fairy is the type it has the most affinity for.
Honestly think Celebi should have been retyped, too, especially considering how common Psychic mythicals are. But I guess Celebi does have the time travel thing going for it-Future Sight definitely marks that as a Psychic ability.

(I do really like your idea of a cosmic Rapidash! It'd definitely rescue the typing for me!)

It's looking like more of a character from My Little Pony at this point, and I honestly don't care about it at all, none of the new pokemon have been overly exciting to me yet.

Honestly think Celebi should have been retyped, too, especially considering how common Psychic mythicals are. But I guess Celebi does have the time travel thing going for it-Future Sight definitely marks that as a Psychic ability.

You're right!
(I do really like your idea of a cosmic Rapidash! It'd definitely rescue the typing for me!)

I loved it too, but it was @PocketMonster's idea, I just stole it.

Yeah, there is a pegaus constellation that could be part of its inspiration. Idk if there are cool stories about it or not that could play a role or give hints

I'm guessing Rapidash is going to be Psychic/Flying since the end of the stream they seemed to hint at that with the Ponyta looking up at the sky and hearing Rapidash's cry.

Unless they pull out a twist and it suddenly becomes Fairy/Flying for some reason.

I'm guessing Rapidash is going to be Psychic/Flying since the end of the stream they seemed to hint at that with the Ponyta looking up at the sky and hearing Rapidash's cry.

Unless they pull out a twist and it suddenly becomes Fairy/Flying for some reason.

I've thought the same thing about it probably turning out to be Psychic/Flying. However, not every Pokemon that can fly ends up with the Flying type. They could still pull something like Psychic/Fairy. It's all up in the air for now.

Galarian Ponyta is a bit too over the top in my eyes. It doesn't help that people have been asking for something like it since SM.

I see what you did there. Very clever.

That? That actually wasn't intentional.

Galarian Ponyta is a bit too over the top in my eyes. It doesn't help that people have been asking for something like it since SM.

I've wanted it since Gen I. I envisioned a Rapidash with a rainbow colored flame mane, but it's close enough! (I can't wait to see what Rapidash looks like)

Glad I wasn't the only one annoyed that it wasn't Fae. The lore of forest life energy fits that typing more than it fits the Psychic typing, which is more associated with mental abilities or mindful prowess. If Ponyta "sat" (knelled?) in secluded concentration or something in order to become like this then it would make sense.

Fairy honestly makes more sense on it than it does on G-Weezing, which could just as well had been Steel typed. Perhaps Rapidash will hopefully have it, because I certainly don't see it benefiting much from gaining Flying.

Also concerned that Kanto once again has the brunt of regional variants aside from Zigzagoon... but maybe SwSh will have more regionals anyways to make up for the dex.

Glad I wasn't the only one annoyed that it wasn't Fae. The lore of forest life energy fits that typing more than it fits the Psychic typing, which is more associated with mental abilities or mindful prowess. If Ponyta "sat" (knelled?) in secluded concentration or something in order to become like this then it would make sense.

Fairy honestly makes more sense on it than it does on G-Weezing, which could just as well had been Steel typed. Perhaps Rapidash will hopefully have it, because I certainly don't see it benefiting much from gaining Flying.

Also concerned that Kanto once again has the brunt of regional variants aside from Zigzagoon... but maybe SwSh will have more regionals anyways to make up for the dex.

it always can make a total type change... gaining fairy or steel with levitate would be a benefit.
fairy/psychic with levitate would work quite well. 3 immunities and would be a counter to Hydragon.

Learns probably zen headbutt and that psychic slash move.

Regular ponyta learned hypnosis, agility , reflect and some more.... Maybe thats why they choose it?
it learnes a fairy move too...

Maybe amount of psychic pokemon is low?

a psychic type that prevents poison status during doubles, hope during singles on itself too.
Psychic is alredy strong against poison... maybe they wanted to make it look fairy on purpose.

Unicorn weak to dark kinda makes sense... to poison and steel also would...

It can absorb energy means that draning moves like leech horn, draining kiss and maybe even Synthesis for healing possible. Horn moves will be a thing with Mega horn.

Last edited:

This sums it up quite nicely.

Regular ponyta learned hypnosis, agility , reflect and some more.... Maybe thats why they choose it?
Regular Vulpix learned no Ice moves and became Ice-type. I don't think they base new forms around movesets.
a psychic type that prevents poison status during doubles, hope during singles on itself too.
Already confirmed to work that way.

I think that Galarian Ponyta will perhaps make undecided people choose the version on which is exclusive, namely when compared to White Farfetch'd, at least if no more differences are announced.
I don't have any intered on it...I was never fond of Ponyta and while being a Psychic type makes sense for it's description, I'd prefer for it to be Fairy. I also think that the design could be a little better, namely in the colours used...taking into account the location where it is, I think that pale green instead of pale pink and light blue would fit and let it blend better.

I too was a little let down when Ponyta was revealed not to be a Fairy type. Not that the Psychic type is bad or harms the design in itself, but the thing is Pokémon tends to be so consistently effective at telegraphing typing through looks and context alone that we often get hung up on things that don't conform to the pattern. (Hi Not Water “guardian of the sea” Lugia) Thinking about it, Galrian Ponyta:

• Color coded with pastel hues
  • Lives in an enchanted forest with many Fairy types
  • Draws its power from the life energy of the forest, like Xerneas and the Tapu
  • Ability counteracts status effects, similar to Misty Terrain

I know being Fairy would make it weak to Poison, but theming > gameplay ramifications is standard in this franchise. Besides, it’s based more on a pop culture cartoon unicorn than an actual folkloric one.

P.S. I kinda wish Celebi, Swablu and Altaria, Jirachi, the Lake pixies, and Cresselia were retconned into being Fairy type as well. Psychic is over represented in legendaries, while fairy is somewhat underrepresented due to its relative newness. Though Marill and Dedenne could have gone without it.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom