• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Thoughts on Geeta?

I'm not sure why people think Nemona was a better Champion cause both of their teams were some booty cheeks, ngl. I guess that's what it does when you're a nice character people enjoy so people feel you deserve it more.

Unlike most people, I kind of like the character.

I think her design is sick, I love her hair which references a Glimmora and which is made up of yellow highway stripes indicating that a Pokémon trainer's path inevitably leads to La Primera.

I find her personality, which is strict and austere, but at the same time affable, quite commendable. Her relationship with Larry is genuine and pretty interesting as well. In other words, she ideally conveys her suitability for the position of Chairman, both of the league and the academy, which she holds.

But unfortunately for all of us, as many have pointed out, she's not very memorable, or rather, challenging as a Champion, despite her La Primera title. A, in that sense, like everyone else, I was quite disappointed.

At long last, Geeta seems to me a character with a lot of potential that, unfortunately, is not very well explored in the game, especially as champion.
To be honest, a friend and I have put a lot of hours into looking into stuff surrounding Geeta and we're so far into the theory rabbithole that I can't help but end up being left disappointed once the inevitable DLC hits and reveals absolutely nothing new about Geeta.

This is me theorizing Leon was only unbeaten cause Rose paid trainers to take the fall against him all over again!

I was very excited to have some (what seems like) indian representation in Pokemon, and I was intrigued by her design.
But, just like everyone else I was met with dissapointment. Her battle was FAR too easy. I think that my 5th gym Pokemon Ruby team could beat her.

To be honest, a friend and I have put a lot of hours into looking into stuff surrounding Geeta and we're so far into the theory rabbithole that I can't help but end up being left disappointed once the inevitable DLC hits and reveals absolutely nothing new about Geeta.

This is me theorizing Leon was only unbeaten cause Rose paid trainers to take the fall against him all over again!

- Forgive my simple mind, but I couldn't exactly understand what you said. What exactly is your theory about Geeta? And what is the rabbithole theory?

I'm not sure why people think Nemona was a better Champion cause both of their teams were some booty cheeks, ngl. I guess that's what it does when you're a nice character people enjoy so people feel you deserve it more.

That Leon's theory was always terrible and just would butcher even more of his character, thankfully that pathetic theory never come true

I was really intrigued by her design when she was first introduced in the trailers, as well as excited by the prospect of more Indian representation (at least if her English name is anything to go by; her Japanese name is Omodaka). That's why it makes me really sad to see all the dialogue revolving around her being "the worst champion ever".

The layout of her team, to me, feels like either an oversight on the dev's part or a way to make sure she doesn't overshadow Nemona as the true final battle. Listening to everyone's comments on team order I feel they are justified; it's a broken record at this point but Glimmora first as a setter and Kingambit last just makes perfect sense. That being said, I must not have had the optimal team because my battle with her was definitely not a cakewalk. I still won, but 3 or 4 of my Pokemon fainted in the process. Lastly, some comments out there are suggesting something more sinister with her and that the weak team connects to it; I'm not buying it.
I love the design for her also but think her team should make more sense i get that they wanna keep the rarer pokemon like glimora and kingambit at the back to supprise you but it doesnt make much of any sense at all for glimora to be at the back i also think that they should switch out some of her single type mons like gogoat and avalug for something more powerful while keeping the same types i think something like eiscue should replace avvalug and something like toedscruel or Scovillian should replace them instead

That Leon's theory was always terrible and just would butcher even more of his character, thankfully that pathetic theory never come true
If anything, it'd butcher nothing. If anything, it would open angles for interesting character developments and would have made Rose look even more of a scheming bastard than he already was.

Not liking a theory is fine, but I very mich disagree it would butcher Leon.

Seriously? Really? Come on, guys.

Am I the only one who sees how Glimmora as the lead, in the game where everything without Levitate is theoretically capable of removing Toxic Spikes by switching in, would be an incredibly wasteful idea? I think Espathra is a much more useful lead on paper and in practice since it complicates most attempts to use a lead setup sweeper, a boon that's so badly needed for NPCs. I've seen enough Gen 4 playthroughs where people 6-0'd Cynthia with a Dragon Dance Gyarados and I myself have 6-0'd her B2W2 team with a severely underleveled Hydreigon after Baton Passing lots of Quiver Dance boosts from Venomoth.

I for one have witnessed, on enough occasions, how fundamentally broken these stat boosting moves can be in a playthrough and how they can turn the widely agreed toughest Champion of Pokémon's known history into a complete f-ing joke. Surely, surely having the capacity to check that disgusting mess is many times more helpful than auto-scattering the most easy-to-remove entry hazard in Pokémon?

Kingambit at the end though? Completely agreed. Just put Glimmora down as one of the four inbetween Espathra and Kingambit, they're both better leads and aces than it.

My thoughts on Geeta herself? Personally I feel that a large chunk of the hate is full of blatant bias and exaggeration from Larry's large fanbase, so I'm dismissing that part. And the claims that she's the weakest Champion? Have we all suddenly forgotten about Lance, the sole reason why Stealth Rock's TM is postgame in HGSS? Or Diantha, the biggest casualty of XY's horrific game balance? The claim that Geeta's somehow weaker than both is something I find beyond ludicrous and worth dismissing as well. I'd put her as third weakest at best.

So in summation, I genuinely think this Pokémon character has been more unfairly treated than any other in our recent history, surpassing even Trace from LGPE, and I profusely thank Game Freak for not making her a twist villain like I'd long feared they would. I hope to see a more balanced and genuine analysis on her as the months go on, preferably with no more pro-Larry biases or selective memories regarding previous Champions. Criticism without credibility is just hot air, all feeling but no substance.

Seriously? Really? Come on, guys.

Am I the only one who sees how Glimmora as the lead, in the game where everything without Levitate is theoretically capable of removing Toxic Spikes by switching in, would be an incredibly wasteful idea? I think Espathra is a much more useful lead on paper and in practice since it complicates most attempts to use a lead setup sweeper, a boon that's so badly needed for NPCs. I've seen enough Gen 4 playthroughs where people 6-0'd Cynthia with a Dragon Dance Gyarados and I myself have 6-0'd her B2W2 team with a severely underleveled Hydreigon after Baton Passing lots of Quiver Dance boosts from Venomoth.

I for one have witnessed, on enough occasions, how fundamentally broken these stat boosting moves can be in a playthrough and how they can turn the widely agreed toughest Champion of Pokémon's known history into a complete f-ing joke. Surely, surely having the capacity to check that disgusting mess is many times more helpful than auto-scattering the most easy-to-remove entry hazard in Pokémon?

Kingambit at the end though? Completely agreed. Just put Glimmora down as one of the four inbetween Espathra and Kingambit, they're both better leads and aces than it.

My thoughts on Geeta herself? Personally I feel that a large chunk of the hate is full of blatant bias and exaggeration from Larry's large fanbase, so I'm dismissing that part. And the claims that she's the weakest Champion? Have we all suddenly forgotten about Lance, the sole reason why Stealth Rock's TM is postgame in HGSS? Or Diantha, the biggest casualty of XY's horrific game balance? The claim that Geeta's somehow weaker than both is something I find beyond ludicrous and worth dismissing as well. I'd put her as third weakest at best.

So in summation, I genuinely think this Pokémon character has been more unfairly treated than any other in our recent history, surpassing even Trace from LGPE, and I profusely thank Game Freak for not making her a twist villain like I'd long feared they would. I hope to see a more balanced and genuine analysis on her as the months go on, preferably with no more pro-Larry biases or selective memories regarding previous Champions. Criticism without credibility is just hot air, all feeling but no substance.
I feel Diantha's team itself is actually not that bad for a champion. Better than several champions in fact. It's really just that you get more stacked in XY than you do in any other Pokémon game and Diantha would have to be leagues beyond even BDSP Cynthia to survive in that game.

If any existing champion were champion of XY, they would have been the easiest. Iris gets curbstomped by the free Mega Lucario you get. Cynthia gets curbstomoed by the tremendous amount of good setup Pokémon and fairies in the region, in the generation that tried its hardest to emphasize on fairy-types. Not saying Diantha's team is top tier but it's arguably better than the likes of Lance's, Wallace's, Alder's, and Trace's teams; even comparable to Steven's teams, which is always significantly worse than it looks on paper. It's really just that no champion could keep up with you at your best in XY.

Not gonna lie though Geeta's team is still a complete joke when compared to Diantha's... between Veluza, Gogoat, Avalugg, and Glimmora ace her team from a competitive standpoint is  extremely unviable. This is definitely the worst combination of Pokémon any champion has ever had. I'd argue only Lance could have a worse team than this and solely due to his lack of synergy.

i don't really blame people for feeling a bit disappointed in her team, and well, her as a character, somewhat.

considering that her title is "top champion" and she's the chairwoman of the league, it would make sense to have some high expectations of a challenging team. perhaps not cynthia-level, but maybe something approaching that considering the hype that she's gotten throughout the game. nemona well as other characters treat her like a Really Big Deal, so when players eventually battle her and see how... surprisingly easy her team is, it leaves much to be desired.

maybe it's not a 100% apples to apples to compare her to past champions. in that case maybe another comparison would be to chairman rose since they have similar titles, and i question whether her battle is more or less difficult than rose is.

You gotta remember that Glimmet can be found outside Area Zero and maybe that was her first Pokemon.

If any existing champion were champion of XY, they would have been the easiest. Iris gets curbstomped by the free Mega Lucario you get. Cynthia gets curbstomoed by the tremendous amount of good setup Pokémon and fairies in the region, in the generation that tried its hardest to emphasize on fairy-types.
Yeah, XY just gave you too much broken stuff to the point you pretty much had to forgo Mega Evolution and Exp. Share to have any semblance of challenge.

And looking at Diantha's team, it's miles better than Geeta's. Geeta has Avalugg and Gogoat, two really weak pokemon battle wise that pose no threat whatsoever. Diantha's team doesn't have anything as weak as those two. Even Aurorus is better than two.

- Forgive my simple mind, but I couldn't exactly understand what you said. What exactly is your theory about Geeta? And what is the rabbithole theory?
A lot of youtubers have been speculating that because Geeta's team is so weak, that her Top Champion status is dubious and she obtained it through illegitimate means. Much of those speculations revolve around another theory about Area Zero that suggests the secret to Area Zero is the ability to make dreams come true. So Geeta wished to be the champion instead of earning it.

I'm honestly not convinced.

So, the "Leon's battles were rigged" nonsense again, except this time it makes even less sense.
Is this going to happen in every generation from now on?
What triggered it, anyways? Blue's team was terrible in gen 1 but I don't remember conspiracy theories about him winning, like claiming Professor Oak bribed all his opponents to throw their matches or anything.

Blue's team was terrible in gen 1
How is Blue's team terrible? He picked some of the best pokemon in the generation like Exeggutor (yes, it was one of the best pokemon in competitive), Gyarados, Rhydon and Alakazam.

Plus Gen 1 had a much smaller selection of pokemon because it was, well, the first generation. Geeta is in Gen 9 and i can think of just pokemon introduced in this generation that are much better than Avalugg and Gogoat.

So, the "Leon's battles were rigged" nonsense again, except this time it makes even less sense.
"How dare people have fun by thinking of crazy theories because I only like what is given and shown to me in-game?"

How is Blue's team terrible?
The stats are offset by how utterly terrible most of his moveset choices are. Half (or if your starter is Charmander more than half) of his team will be effectively non-threats due to lacking moves with any sort of power, or due to being a Pidgeot and lacking the stats to do much with the set he does have.

Back
Top Bottom