• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Thoughts on generational gimmicks?

Should GameFreak continue to make new gimmicks each generation?

• Yes

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 39 68.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 6 10.5%

• Total voters

Phosphene

Formerly SpinyShell
Reaction score
Bag_Mega_Bracelet_Sprite.png
Bag_Z-Ring_Sprite.png
Bag_Dynamax_Band_Sprite.png
I was inspired to make this post after reading through the Dynamax thread recently. While much of the discussion was obviously focused on Dynamax, I did note that a few users talked about how they didn't think GameFreak should continue making gimmicks each generation, and I thought that would make an interesting discussion topic, which then spiraled into making a general thread for generational gimmicks.

Awkward intro aside, what do you guys think about the (relatively) recent trend of making gimmicks for each generation? Do you think GameFreak should continue making them? Are they good for the franchise? What would you do differently, if at all, if you were in charge of implementing gimmicks? etc.

No. I hope they start to just develop the ones they’ve created already. There doesn’t need to continuously be new ones.

As an aside, I’m not sure I’m the biggest fan of them being known as “gimmicks” either. It has a negative connotation and makes them sound cheap, which is debatable. I prefer the term “battle mechanics”.

No. The games benefit far more from quality of life features that make the gameplay more dynamic and immersive, such as overworld encounters, removal of HMs and gameplay mechanics that stick around. Generational gimmicks wear off far too fast and are never given any respect.

Mega evolution was handled with care in Gen VI and given lore, explanations and attention, only to be reduced to shiny trinkets you can buy at the store in the next generation, which is more than Z-Moves got in Gen VIII. Dynamax is fated to fall into obscurity too for the simple fact that you can’t just casually shoehorn kaiju pokemon in a region not specifically designed to host their power.

As much as I like seeing what cool battle mechanics Game Freak can come up with, I still voted “No” for a few reasons:
  1. There’s only so many kinds of boosts Game Freak can do with Pokémon before they run out of parameters to boost. Not to mention that they might suffer creative burnout if they continue this for every single generation. They’re fine right now, but it isn’t really a sustainable tactic for keeping things fresh in the long run.
  2. People are already getting tired of generational burst mechanics because there’s no point in getting attached to a feature that’s just going to be replaced to keep each region “unique.” It can hamper enjoyment of an otherwise solid mechanic, which makes consumers lose interest.
  3. Time invested in these new generational/regional burst mechanics could be time better spent on other aspects of the games to make the regions more unique. These could range from side activities to detailed and memorable side locations to dungeons with fun and rewarding puzzles. I feel this is especially true since TPCi seems to be pushing for Game Freak to have annual releases without break years.
Those are just my two cents.

My answer is a highly decisive yes... perhaps... if they're good... and depending on how long they stick around for. As I suggested in the other thread, I think it's absolutely fine to have one-time only mechanics that really draw out the vibe of the region, as long as they're telegraphed as one-offs and don't draw swathes of the fanbase into believing that they'll be a major part of the series for years to come before being inexplicably dropped (*cough*MegaEvolution*cough*).

I liked both Z-moves and Dynamax in the respective playthroughs (well, not so much the fact that my GMax-eligible team members inexplicably couldn't do it, prior to the release of IoA), and my negative thoughts about Z-moves in particular dissipated when they left - that may sound a little obvious but now I see them as a quirky little part of the fabric of Alola, rather than competitive tuberculosis.

Furthermore, I believe the main series games have something of a hurdle to overcome inasmuch that the base mechanics have kinda been perfected since Gen IV. On the graphical front, while there's clearly scope for overworld improvements and far more dynamic battles, I don't think much more can be done with the Pokémon themselves given their cartoon style has pretty much been fully realised. All this means that the non-core stuff - the framework that exists outside the meat of the battles - has got to carry the weight of justification for new titles, including new species, regions, story, characters and more. I feel like I can hardly blame GF for wanting to, uh, add more butter to the crust with flashy bells and whistles.

Last edited:
I voted "no" because I want them to work with and flesh out the mechanics that already exist, most notably Mega Evolution; I think this feature should definitely be brought back and finally introduce some new Pokémon that can mega-evolve.

This being said, I actually don't mind battle mechanics (or "gimmicks") that are introduced for one region in particular and that don't appear outside of this region as long as it's well explained and logically presented. What does bother me is that this always happens at the expense of the already established feature(s). Like, to me, Z-moves only existing in Alola and Dynamax only existing as a Galar-specific feature would be fine, given their lore and history. But why did their existence require Mega Evolution to be completely erased (or awkwardly shoved into the post-game) in gen. 7 and 8, with no new Mega Evolution introduced since 2014 despite the mechanic being featured in Super Mystery Dungeon, Let's Go, Masters, GO, and Rescue Team DX?

Last edited:
I detest that they've been pigeonholed as "gimmicks," as it is yet another word that I feel has been abused to the point of near-meaninglessness by Internet criticism, and it doesn't even convey a sense of what these mechanics as a group actually are.

That aside, personally I think they're great. I've been an avid proponent of them since the "scoop of the century" in August 2013. The first thing that impressed me about Megas was that Game Freak were willing to push the envelope in such a novel way to add a new dimension to the battle scene, and I had a lot of fun with them in XY and ORAS, anticipating new design reveals and figuring out which ones I'd like to make sure had a spot on my team.

Z-Moves and Dynamax have since then traded Mega Evolution's conceptual longevity for an approach that tries more to amplify the themes and aesthetics of a particular region, which I feel has worked exceptionally well toward that goal. They also seem to be conscious of what I'm sure GF view as the shortcomings or impracticalities of Mega Evolutions, like their fundamental distribution limit and frequent "the rich get richer" effect. Prefer whichever of the three you want, but I will argue that they have definitely gotten better in terms of stitching these augmentations into the game progression by letting every Pokémon take advantage of them, they give players access to them much earlier and can feature them more abundantly in boss battles within the single-player campaign. Dynamax in particular I often praise since it works double-duty, not just giving the region a signature battle mechanic that enhances the sense of culture, but also forming the bedrock for Max Raid Battles which are a fresh new way to play the game with friends.

I don't really mind their impermanence - I think it makes sense that they would want to continually shake up the metagame every few years, like many TCGs do with their periodic format rotations, and I think it makes sense to tie that in with a new generation when they're already conceptualizing a new region, new Pokémon, and new battling niches and gameplay possibilities wholesale. Having something to anchor all of that can be very valuable, creatively. I don't really understand peoples' concern that they're going to "run out" of ideas - how long have parts of the fandom been saying that would happen with the Pokémon designs themselves, only for it to never actually happen? Not only does creativity recharge over time, but while Game Freak may be a relatively small studio, there are still quite a few people employed who I am sure have their own ideas for what kinds of features could bring something new to the game, not to mention any new people that they could bring onto a project, like James Turner was in 2010, and now look at him - being given a full creative slate to define the artistic direction of Sword & Shield. And that's just one person who's been allowed to really dive in and realize his well of ideas.

I think it's interesting the degree to which a segment the Pokémon fandom desire what I'll call conceptual security - an assurance that specific features they like are going to become permanent fixtures - while GF themselves seem more artistically driven to pursue new ideas and to not get caught doing the same thing for too long. I wonder if, on GF's part, that's to do with the recent surge of newer developers and creators (Ohmori, Iwao, Tani, Turner) being imbued with creative control, or maybe it's an instinctual reaction to having stuck to the same formula for so long, or maybe there's numerous other factors. But I mean, you think of what a "new generation" entailed from 1999 all the way up to 2010, and it's the same suite of stuff: new Pokémon, new region, new professor, new functional gadget, new side features. All "new" stuff, but all the same kind of new stuff, you know what I mean? At some point I feel like it was inevitable that they would want to expand that suite somewhat, as they have done now with these new augmentations as well as a greater emphasis on new battle formats (there's been at least one per generation since Gen 5 - Triple/Rotation, Inverse, Battle Royals, Max Raids; these have not nearly all been equivalent in terms of impact, but still, I think the trajectory demonstrates a desire to tinker with the landscape of battles in general). But then what? Does "new Mega Evolutions" just become another box on that list to be checked, or can they challenge themselves to maybe think more broadly about it?

That being said, I do think they could consider reinstating Mega Evolution without it coming at the expense of a different core mechanic. I'm not as adamant that Mega Evolution make a return as others are, but obviously it is popular (which, is interesting to me, given how much I remember the online fandom complaining about the influx of Pokémon with alternate forms in Gen 5 and then going nuclear when Mega Evolution was revealed, often throwing at it many of the same criticisms that are now lobbed at Dynamax, and I say this not to declare "hypocrisy!!", but rather to point out how the mechanic is now remembered fondly, and I wonder if that is the eventual fate for all of these in-battle augmentations), and Gen 7 and LGPE proved that you can just drop it into a new setting without having to work hard to justify it. I think they could retain it if they wanted to, and maybe introduce a couple new Mega Evolutions each generation in addition to whatever the more focal augmentation mechanic is. A handful of Megas don't have to be meta-defining; I think they could just be another tool in the toolbox for specific species.

Last edited:
The level of serious responses compels me to reconsider my joke answer and give a proper more reasoned argument for my answer.

"Yes". I do think that GameFreak should continue to make these "Gimmicks" for each Generation. If implemented properly they can add flavour to the Lore of the Region as well as keep battles fresh and interesting. That's not to say that Megas/Z-Moves/Dynamax haven't all had their respective problems but I welcome them warts and all and hope that GF learns the more they experiment and try to improve going forward. I would genuinely take Gens 6/7/8 any day over Gens 3/4/5 where it felt like too little was changing for me to enjoy it.

I'm not the first and certainly not the last to make the comparisons of the games' Gimmicks to that of how TCGs evolve over time. I'd use the Pokémon TCG as the perfect example but I haven't played it since I was a tyke so I'll just stick to my trusty Yugioh. Initially people loved the idea of new summoning mechanics that revolutionised the game - Synchros were basically a fixed version of useless Rituals for example - but after so many mechanics were introduced the gameboard became ridiculously cluttered and there was so much that you had to keep track of that I like many dropped out. It's one of the main reasons that "Duel Links" despite being a gatcha game is so popular because it went back to the original format again which brought back so many old fans.

I rambled a bit there but the above paragraph is the main reason why I'm actually fine with the Gimmicks being largely transient to each Gen. It allows each of them to bask in the spotlight of their own games without having to compete with all the other Gimmicks and makes those individual games somewhat special to me and is a factor of why I would go back and replay them specifically.

And now to end it all off with a joke... CARD GAMES POKÉMON BATTLES ON MOTORCYCLES!!! :bulbaLove:

I'm not opposed to the one generation mechanics idea--plenty of other series' do it, after all. Link can't always use magic or turn into a wolf, FLUDD didn't become a permanent part of Mario's repertoire, Dragon Quest dropped Monster Recruitment...games need to experiment and if you keep everything you end up focusing too much on trying to bring over absolutely everything and the game gets bloated.
Honestly though, I've been unimpressed with the actual execution of them so far.

In fact, I wonder if coming up with a new augmentation for each region is perhaps more creatively stimulating than draining. That is a possibility that I don't see people ever considering. But I would look at how each mechanic has been integrated into the other aspects of the game to create a more holistic package.

Mega Evolution was introduced in XY as an extension of one of three key "themes" - beauty, bonds, and evolution. I think you can see manifestations of these themes all over the Kalos games, but how well-integrated are they with each other? Team Flare is one example of the theme of "beauty," with their goal being to use AZ's weapon to cleanse the world of what they see as ugliness. This is connected to Mega Evolution... but only tangentially, with how AZ's weapon is said to be what created the Mega Stones that would eventually be discovered by Korrina's ancestor. But what is the logic of that? Why did a massive energy blast from an eternal life machine, powered by a Pokémon that cannot actually Mega Evolve or do anything resembling it, create these temporary evolutionary stones for some 28 particular species? (One of which is freaking Mewtwo lol) There is no rhyme or reason as to why those species received the boon. Next to that, you can observe the theme of "bonds" in the relationship between AZ and Floette which is what drove him to create the machine, but this feels like another abstraction. There is no actual emphasis on bonds within the mechanic of Mega Evolution; you can Mega Evolve any Pokémon that has a compatible stone as soon as you catch it... this despite XY introducing a brand new activity system that revolves around bonding with your Pokémon. There is this collection of ideas and notions that are loosely threaded together by some hanging themes, but which in execution are quite disparate. And as far as how Mega Evolution ties into the Kalos region's culture, there is some degree to which it reflects the games' commentary on social class, but the setting itself is infamously confused about who really knows what about Mega Evolution. Sycamore calls it something "new" and says that the necessity of a bond is "just a theory," but then you have the Tower of Mastery in Shalour, which Sycamore trained at, which reveals that it is in fact an ancient practice, and where Gurkinn and Korrina state unequivocally that a bond between a Trainer and their Pokémon is key to the transformation. But then you have Diantha, who knows how to Mega Evolve her Gardevoir, being puzzled over Sycamore's suggestion that a strong bond is what powers the transformation. Meanwhile, the citizenry of Kalos, despite having a Champion who can employ Mega Evolution and a cultural monument dedicated to preserving its history, all seem quite clueless about Mega Evolution whenever it is mentioned, not even referring to it by name. (But really, I think the kicker for me is when Gurkinn - a researcher and practitioner of Mega Evolution, descended from the first Trainer to ever induce it - tells Tierno that the Intriguing Stone he received from someone implied to be Steven is not a Mega Stone and is actually worthless, only for ORAS to then have you bring an Intriguing Stone to Steven's corporate tycoon daddy who can tell at a glance that it's a Pidgeotite.)

ORAS are very interesting in that, unlike XY, SM, and SwSh, their task is not to design a region from the ground-up with a new augmentation mechanic in mind, but rather to retrofit it onto an existing region's culture and mythology, and I have always been impressed by their ability to do this so smoothly. Yes, they chuck a lot of XY's Mega Evolution lore out the window, but at the same time make many savvy decisions about how this mechanic could make sense within the Hoenn region. Meteorites had played some small part in the original games, with the Mt. Chimney plot and Meteor Falls - and, at least in its flavor text, Deoxys - and all that, so why not connect those to the origin of Hoenn's Mega Stones in some way? And suddenly, this makes Steven's hobby as a stone collector not just some random quirk with no relation to anything in the gameplay - now it's all tied together; his passion for rocks intersects with the presence of these magical stones that appear in Hoenn and have a connection to its history. Similarly, no one making Ruby & Sapphire back in the early 2000s could have known just how serendipitous it would be that they gave the two key Legendary Pokémon a connection to these sacred, mystical orbs, which ORAS would reveal are actually similar to Mega Stones and can enable the super-ancient Pokémon's Primal Reversions to be controlled. This is turn is used to rewrite the whole Mt. Chimney scenario, which was always very flimsily justified in the original games, but now is an experiment for Team Magma/Aqua to create their own Red/Blue Orb by infusing a meteorite with raw natural power, before they learn of the presence of the original Orbs on Mt. Pyre.

(Before I go any further, I also want to take a moment to really appreciate a particular twist of fate. How, in the original RS, Archie and Maxie seem to get their Orbs mixed around, thinking that the Blue Orb will control Groudon and the Red Orb will control Kyogre. In that context, it sort of made sense, because they were kind of bumbling around in those games and it was clear that they were in over their heads and had expectations that the power of the Legendary Pokémon far exceeded. But in ORAS, it would be counterintuitive for the Red Orb to by Kyogre's "Mega Stone," and so now, the Orbs that the villains target are swapped to the "correct" ones, which provides a subtle explanation for the difference in how the events in these remakes play out compared to the originals, and is then justified in the post-game when it's revealed that Zinnia provided Maxie and Archie with privileged information about Primal Reversion that they wouldn't have had otherwise. This, then, is used as the basis for the Delta Episode's multiverse-threatening storyline which invokes the very universe of the original games. So not only did they "fix" what might have seemed like an oddity in the original games, they even retroactively justified it for that storyline and provided a contextual framework for the fix in this version of the story!)

I could go on about how well Mega Evolution is built into the Hoenn region, but I want to talk about the others at some point so I shall hope what I've said so far conveys a sufficient sense of what I mean and move on.

It is, I think, easy to overlook how integral Z-Moves are to the larger creative background of the Alola region. They are not just a "replacement" for Mega Evolution and tacked onto the setting in the way that those were. Here, they are a fundamental part of the island challenge. They become a backbone of the unique progression path in Alola, taking over not only the role of Gym Badges, but merging that with the obligatory TMs that Gym Leaders would normally distribute as a reward. Z-Crystals are both a symbol of your success against a trial and the key to a new technique that you can employ in battles. But it doesn't end there, because the underlying presence of Z-Power is what stands behind the Totem Pokémon's aura boosts. This creates a new layer of challenge within those trials, which have replaced the usual Gym challenges (and is an enhancement which might encourage you to use a Z-Move in order to break through the Totem's defenses). And of course, that's not the only place that you see such aura boosts. I'm referring now to the Ultra Beasts, an entirely separate creative concept that function as a metaphor for invasive species for the Alola region, while also providing an origin for this mysterious power found in the Alola region. This is far more unified a conceptual ecosystem than Mega Evolution was - you have Ultra Space, where Z-Power comes from. That comes into Alola thanks to Solgaleo and Lunala, the Legendary Pokémon that use Alola as a sort of nursery for their young Cosmog, which are put in the care of the Tapu. Solgaleo and Lunala's ability to open Ultra Wormholes allows this energy to pass into Alola, creating Totem Pokémon and Z-Crystals, and the Tapu also serve as cultural pillars for the Alolan people, selecting particular individuals to lead the islands and be blessed with Z-Rings. The people who obtain Z-Rings then challenge themselves by taking on the Totem Pokémon in battle. Some of the people who fail go on to become members of Team Skull. And all the while, the phenomenon of Ultra Wormholes attracts the attention of Professor Mohn, which is what causes the whole Aether family drama to occur. This dovetails with your island challenge, with how Tapu Koko intervenes to save you and provides you with a Z-Ring because you volunteered to help protect the Cosmog that is normally under the care of the tapu, but had recently been discovered and exploited by foreign scientists until Lillie chose to rescue it. And then that is what compels Lusamine to hire Team Skull to help her take Cosmog back so that she can travel to Ultra Space, requiring you to seek out the Legendary emissary so that you can make use of its power to open Ultra Wormholes (and then it turns out, Cosmog was the emissary all along).

This all forms a very circular, cohesive landscape for the games in terms of its progression, storytelling, aesthetic choices, mythology, and battling options, something which is all still true of Dynamax, which pushes things even further with, as I mentioned, the introduction of Max Raid Battles. Now there is an entire feature that revolves around the mechanics of Dynamax. It is not just Totem Pokémon or Ultra Beasts that use Z-Power in order to create an aura that might compel you to unleash a Z-Move - now there is a constant source of enemy Pokémon that can use Dynamax themselves and remain in that state permanently, and must be challenged in order to earn good rewards, as part of a system that is very consciously intended to be more of a multiplayer experience, thus expanding the possibilities of what these kinds of mechanics can do and how they can shape the game design altogether.

I think people too often look at the similarities between these features and declare that GF are just attempting to reinvent the wheel every few years, and while it is true that the three mechanics have elements in common, I really don't think it is that simple.

Last edited:
For me... It depends on the gimmick, but I lean towards no more of them.

I don't like one-time augments that lack cohesive integration to the core gameplay - and Dynamax screams this. It invalidates too many existing mechanics, including the removal of other other ones that were touted as gimmicks. Even the Gigantamax forms look so heavily dependent on the gimmick that I doubt many would care if they were reinstated at all in other games other than in lore alone.

Another thing I noticed about certain gimmicks is how they can really 'impersonalize' the Pokemon world in the games. This is probably my big issue involving Z-moves: The gimmick involves this extremely hyperdramatic 'finishing blow' scene against a foe. But honestly, such crazy display of violence just feels unnatural to the game, as you also have the foe's trainer next to it all, and such trainer is not often like any crazy bad guy deserving such carnage, and neither is the Pokemon victim. And the weird show-off and swag done by the trainer initiating it all on certain ones... Yes, it integrates well with game mechanics, but the sense of sportsmanship and bonding feels lost when used. Hence why I could care less if they ever came back at all.

Of all the gimmicks done, Mega's were probably as good a Gimmick could get: Temporary evolution in battle, granting new stat gains and abilities. In one way, people compared it to digimon - But I dare say this: It's digimon done better! The mega forms usually didn't contrast too much from their standard forms at all, so a sense of bonding with your regular-formed friend feels more closer than Digimon: Mega Sableye is still a Sableye, while you'd never say Graymon is an Augumon - they are only consciously the same identity. Megas were more a mythical armorment, and it could have breathed tons of life to neglected Pokemon competitively. And while there were good examples of this, there were loads of bad ones, too. Probably why people want megas to not be a one time thing: More opportunities for beloved pokemon to get a believable power boost, while technically being the same Pokemon. (Mega Luxray plz ;_; )

Last edited:
No. I've said it before and I'll keep saying: keep and improve a core group of mechanics that make the experience better instead of always trying to shove something that's like the new amazing rainbow unicorn and not improving other areas. Reinstate and keep seasons, Pkmn following you, more and diverse Pkmn, lore ans world, as well as triple battles. Edit: oh yeah, post-game content, here's a better bet than gimmicks!
Megas, Z-moves and Dynamax only serve to divide the gamers because the reasons for some getting "special" treatment is never given (aside from being popular which despite being a reason, doesn't seem the fairest of all that there could be) and are a temporary patch in what concerns novelty.
Megas were temporary, Z-moves look like a dance for kids and G-max only purpose is memes of Pkmn crushing people in the stadium or causing noise problems as well as earthquakes.

I want all of them gone. They may have their merits in competitive battling, but they don't make single player battles more engaging whatsoever and are an excuse for the lack of real innovation.

Be gone, foul spirits.

I think generational gimmicks are fine as long as the QoL and design upgrades they bring remain. Game Freak has had a tendency of introducing new mechanics that are extremely beneficial to the core gameplay only for them to be yanked from the next game. The most prominent example here is the DexNav in ORAS, which was widely praised for making it much easier to hunt for rare Pokemon, Egg Moves, HAs, max IVs, and shinies, but haven't been seen since. They have been better about this sort of thing recently with many of SwSh's "region exclusive mechanics" being different executions of past concepts such as Camping being like Amie/Refresh, Jobs being like Poke Pelago, and Dynamax being like Mega Evolution/Z-moves, but there's still instances of certain mechanics that didn't get that same treatment that probably should've.

Really, they should be using side quests and minigames for this sort of thing. Features like Sinnoh Underground, Pokeathlon, Pokestar Studios, and Join Avenue are good examples of features that can really add unique flavor to the region (I'd say Contests and Secret Bases as well, but I think those should stay or at least be executed differently like Galar's features), and they wouldn't be entirely missable when they're cut the next game.

Something interesting to think about is how in retrospect, elemental Gems were kind of like Unova's version of this, like some sort of Z-Move prototype but without any of the major lore. I wonder why they still support the Normal Gem but not any of the others, though. I guess because Normal doesn't have the benefit of being supereffective on anything? But I don't get the impression that people run the Normal Gem on stuff very often.

Also, just a neat/curious observation but I find it funny how Z-Moves were Alola's signature mechanic, and yet, the "ultimate" Alola games culminate in a conflict against an evil team whose boss uses Mega Evolution, and have a cover mascot that hybridizes Z-Moves, Mega Evolution, and even Absofusion (still perhaps one of the goofiest names they've ever given to a concept) to make Ultra Burst.

Generational features are what's wrong with the franchise these days imo. There's too much emphasis on gimmicky crap that will get dumped after a few years in favor of some new trick. To me it's not creative at all because most of these gimmicks work in the same way i.e. as battle power-ups and nothing more.

The reason I'm hardly doing gmax raids are because I know they won't be available in later generations, so....yeah, not the biggest fan of them anymore either. =( They'd just become normal Pokémon in later games lol. The lore mentions several times that dynamax is a phenomenon seen only in the Galar region to make it very clear that it won't be returning to future games. Z-moves were all right to me since they fit well with the lore of Alola, but I think that was the last generational gimmick I would have fully appreciated. Mega evolutions could still be expanded on and brought to other regions.

TPCI seem too scared of changing the core formula of Pokémon since it sells so well. I assume they'll continue to stick with gimmicks to make each game 'unique,' while also still retaining the usual formula.

I will say this with the hardest and harshest "No"

Let's not forget that the gimmicks keep being recycled with different names for certain Pokemon like Necrozma since the only thing that changes are the requirements. Heck, even Zacian and Zamazenta now has that dumb thing where they are not their Crowned forms outside of battles, there was no gameplay difference whatsoever in keeping them in their standard forms even when holding their respective "Rusted" items. It wouldn't have been that hard to just make them act like Origin Giratina and have it so their Crowned forms appear in your party, Pokemon Camp, or anything outside of battle that's not the Pokedex while holding the "Rusted" items.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom