• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Thoughts on Koharu

It’s fine, because Chloe means blooming or fertility which fits her families plant related names.

Interesting how she has a plant/flower related name since there are other PokeGirls with flower related names like Iris and Lillie. Maybe a hint that she will become a main character in the future?

Although I must admit that I am starting to lose hope that there will ever be a female protagonist in this series.

Interesting how she has a plant/flower related name since there are other PokeGirls with flower related names like Iris and Lillie. Maybe a hint that she will become a main character in the future?

Although I must admit that I am starting to lose hope that there will ever be a female protagonist in this series.
Even if/when it does happen that she joins the main cast, the question is still gonna have to be raised as to why they would have to draw out and make us wait so long for what has been a staple group dynamic since the very start of the series. I mean seriously, who was asking for them to just simply not have a main girl in the cast in this series and in its place just have just have 2 guys? If you were gonna have a group of 2, you’d think that would be perfect to have a lead male and lead female with the cast. It just seems so weird to me that in different shows that it seems like if they want to change up a group that it’s the girl element that’s on the chopping block. It just feels messed up and wrong that they view the girl as the expendable part of the cast.

I don't think her name implies she'll be a main character despite how much I yearn for that. I think she's going to be stuck being the side supporting character for the whole series sadly. :(

I don't think her name implies she'll be a main character despite how much I yearn for that. I think she's going to be stuck being the side supporting character for the whole series sadly. :(
Whoever thought not having a female lead was in any way acceptable straight up needs to be fired. Not only is the Ash and Goh duo dynamic directionless and sub-par without a third input, but for 22 years there has been female representation in the main cast, they were an integral part of the series and now they've been scrapped just like that with no rhyme or reason as to why.

...This is a more secondary point, but I'm not sure what I think of a school like what Koharu goes to and Goh once went to works with the anime.

To me...it just opens up a question of fridge logics and questions that are only mildly averted by the fact that Ash is still officially 10.

Koharu's school is too real world feeling when mentioned and seen. It would almost work better if it was a college for 10+ year olds as odd as it sounds.

...This is a more secondary point, but I'm not sure what I think of a school like what Koharu goes to and Goh once went to works with the anime.

To me...it just opens up a question of fridge logics and questions that are only mildly averted by the fact that Ash is still officially 10.

Koharu's school is too real-world feeling when mentioned and seen. It would almost work better if it was a college for 10-year-olds as odd as it sounds.

It is VERY weird. Is Ash the equivalent of a high school football player who drops out so he can make money as an athlete?

I'm pretty sure that's more or less what Takeshi's Shudo's original intention was actually.

Is this from that novel he wrote? It must be 20 years old and I do not believe it's a part of the anime's canon unless otherwise stated by an official source.

Is this from that novel he wrote? It must be 20 years old and I do not believe it's a part of the anime's canon unless otherwise stated by an official source.

I'd call it less a part, and more something that, especially early on, you can taste DNA from it.

Regardless the fact you have two ten year olds who are not in school and basically have a job, and one who isn't.....is weird. There is a reason things like the Shudo novels and the Electric Tale of Pikachu gave thought to the question.

....Heh what is a weirder/creepier source of lore?

I'd call it less a part, and more something that, especially early on, you can taste DNA from it.

Regardless the fact you have two ten year olds who are not in school and basically have a job, and one who isn't.....is weird. There is a reason things like the Shudo novels and the Electric Tale of Pikachu gave thought to the question.

....Heh what is a weirder/creepier source of lore?
What makes it even weirder is when you think about it with the perspective towards other characters as well. Like here we have Koharu being an average elementary school student yet you’ve got another character like Gary who is a researcher yet they’re both the same age. It’s like one of those things the writers don’t want you to think about yet the more you do, the less sense it makes.

What makes it even weirder is when you think about it with the perspective towards other characters as well. Like here we have Koharu being an average elementary school student yet you’ve got another character like Gary who is a researcher yet they’re both the same age. It’s like one of those things the writers don’t want you to think about yet the more you do, the less sense it makes.

....there is a reason in my fanfics I clarify that. I normally just adjust the Shudo maturity thing to age 15 and go from there

So, he's basically a biologist? Not any specific sort of biologist, just a generic biologist? Where is the kid's university degree? You can't just go and decide to become a biologist, you have to go to college for that kind of stuff and Gary doesn't really feel like the kind of dude that would take sitting down for hours to memorize every page of a textbook down to the punctuation. Somebody like Goh, sure, but definitely not Gary Oak.

So, he's basically a biologist? Not any specific sort of biologist, just a generic biologist? Where is the kid's university degree? You can't just go and decide to become a biologist, you have to go to college for that kind of stuff and Gary doesn't really feel like the kind of dude that would take sitting down for hours to memorize every page of a textbook down to the punctuation. Somebody like Goh, sure, but definitely not Gary Oak.
His grandfather is a world renowned Pokémon Professor. Nepotism kicked in when Gary said he wanted to become a researcher and he pulled some strings to get him into the profession. The Oak name carries weight in the Pokémon world.

After watching her first focused episode on Netflix, I already wish that Chloe had more screentime/presence in the series. Admittedly, at least part of that is due to how I desperately wish that there was some female representation within Journeys. I like the dynamic between Ash and Goh. They already feel like good friends and I still like Goh himself, but not having a proper female lead is such a huge problem that I don't know if the show can overcome if it's never properly addressed.

I also just kind of like her conflict. People around her assume everything about her because she is the daughter of a Pokemon Professor that they don't bother to actually ask her what she thinks or how she really feels. That is a relatable conflict, although it might also be a bit too realistic for a Pokemon series. Not to mention it would make it harder for her to eventually join Ash and Goh on their travels if she's still processing how she feels about Pokemon. Or at least it would probably take a lot longer than it necessarily should to have a girl within the main cast. The scene with her mother made their family more endearing, especially the flashback of a younger Professor Cerise encouraging her to not give up on her dream. I thought that he'd just stay being the generic professor, which he is still is a bit, but that moment was surprisingly sweet and made me appreciate his character more than I expected.

I really like her characterization so far, and how it felt very realistic compared to most characters in this show. But unless they give her more screentime, her plot with Wanpachi is going to end disappointingly similar to Lilie's friendship with pokémon.

I love her! she has a unique personality I don't usually expect to see from the Pokémon series, and is written believably for a girl her age. she also has a cute design and sweet family dynamic! I think she's one of my favorite females so far and I'm happy with how she was written. :bulbaLove: hoping the next episodes focused on her will be just as good as the most recent one.

I understand others in wanting to see her appear more, but so far I've been pretty content with what we're getting. it's nice to me how we're seeing more focus on different types of people in PM 2019 living various types of lives, like programmers, lab staff, children in school, etc. part of her charm is that she isn't the typical Pokémon trainer/coordinator/etc we've been used to seeing, and I think that adds a lot of freshness to the series and gives her some unique potential for the future.

I love her! she has a unique personality I don't usually expect to see from the Pokémon series, and is written believably for a girl her age. she also has a cute design and sweet family dynamic! I think she's one of my favorite females so far and I'm happy with how she was written. :bulbaLove: hoping the next episodes focused on her will be just as good as the most recent one.

I understand others in wanting to see her appear more, but so far I've been pretty content with what we're getting. it's nice to me how we're seeing more focus on different types of people in PM 2019 living various types of lives, like programmers, lab staff, children in school, etc. part of her charm is that she isn't the typical Pokémon trainer/coordinator/etc we've been used to seeing, and I think that adds a lot of freshness to the series and gives her some unique potential for the future.

While I can see where you're coming from, I think that not being a more typical Pokemon trainer is a double edge sword. It makes Chloe a bit more unique, but since she isn't a trainer, it prevents her from getting more screentime in a show all about Pokemon. This wouldn't be much of a problem if there was another girl within the main cast, but since there isn't, it kind of makes Chloe's lack of screentime more apparent and frustrating, at least for me.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom