• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Thoughts on Koharu

CometCartoons

Reaction score
Hey guys, since the anime is on hold, let's talk about the ice queen that is Koharu and what her future may potentially be.

I think Koharu will eventually join Ash and Go to complete the trio. They’re taking her development slowly, which makes sense. She shouldn’t completely change her mind on Pokémon at once. It should be a slower process in which she gradually opens up to more and more kinds of Pokémon.

I hope her time caring for the injured Pidove in her next episode at least has her questioning her opinion on Pokémon even more, due to how she will have extended time together with it while she is taking care of it.

I think that the Pidove episode would be her baptism of fire.

But for me he has a more interesting background than Goh. The whole fight against what people thinks is more interesting than Goh "I was a looner for no reason at all" background.

Of course this can change...

I think that the Pidove episode would be her baptism of fire.

Or just another filler episode with NO consequence on the plot AT ALL like countless other episodes where people thought X character would get Y Pokemon, and nothing came of it...

She hasn't done crap with Yamper. We don't need her getting another Pokemon she won't do anything with. We get enough of that with Go and even Ash.

She is NOT a PokeGirl, people. Hell, PM2019 doesn't even HAVE a PokeGirl, as bizarre as that may sound... o_O
Just because the SM girls were kind of underwhelming doesn't feel like a good reason to drop a co-star girl after all these years. :cry:
(come to think of it, I'm surprised they didn't make Goh the PokeGirl...:unsure:)

My perception of her has softened a bit over the last few weeks, but no lie, she didn't come across as a pleasant individual when we were first introduced to her.

The excuse the writers gave for her somewhat cold personality is that everybody else loves pokemon in a universe where human existence revolves around the titular creatures and so she acts like an emo because people around her understandably assume she likes Pokemon when for whatever unspecified reason she doesn't seem interested in them?

If that was supposed to make us empathise with her it didn't really work for me because it just makes her seem immature. It's like those people who for whatever reason hate babies and get very offended if somebody thinks they want kids.

A flaw which I hope they will one-day correct. It doesn't even need to be her, but whoever it is it would be beneficial to the series to have a PokéGirl in it. Ash and Goh simply can't carry the show on their own.

I don't see Koharu as this series Poke-girl. The Poke-girl should always be a character from the game to make her charismatic and memorable. Clearly, there's a development for Koharu but I think it is similar to Sonia from the game.
Hmmm...
Come to think of it, Sonia could be an interesting "Pokégirl". She spends a lot of time around the player in the games and it would fit with the research assistant tasks Ash and Gou are sometimes carrying out.

Edit: Although I'm still far from ruling out Koharu joining them. I think they've been building to it.

Last edited:
A flaw which I hope they will one-day correct. It doesn't even need to be her, but whoever it is it would be beneficial to the series to have a PokéGirl in it. Ash and Goh simply can't carry the show on their own.
It’s a flaw that honestly never should have existed in the first place and is beyond me why they even caused it. I definitely agree that it would be beneficial to have a girl in the series (which still makes it bizarre as hell to me that they made Go a boy and not a girl). The whole thing just feels like a balance is missing as a result.

Last edited:
And to think I wanted a series where Ash-tachii was just 2 people...

Of course, I also wanted a bunch of temporary companions coming and going to keep things interesting too -_-

Last edited:
It’s a flaw that honestly never should have existed in the first place and is beyond me why they even caused it. I definitely agree that it would be beneficial to have a girl in the series (which still makes it bizarre as hell to me that they made Go a boy and not a girl). The whole thing just feels like a balance is missing as a result.
The only possible reason I can think of which probably isn't even what happened at all is that the series was pitched to the executives as a duo series starring Go and Koharu with a Go being hyper and Koharu acting as his straight-man dynamic. The executives decided that they weren't going to allow Ash to be removed from the show so they demanded he stay but they liked the duo idea so much that they weren't going to allow an Ash, Go and Koharu trio so we got stuck with a group of two hyper boys and no straight-man to moderate or bounce off them, female or otherwise.

...Honestly I forget she exists half the time. It's just...why are they doing this sort of storyline?

I'd honestly get more out of a reoccuring female rival than Koharu.
I more so question why they’re doing this kind of storyline with a character they not only deem a supporting character but one who is so out of focus. While I’m hoping they have some satisfying conclusion planned for her story, did we honestly need another Serena level slow burn especially in a series where they she’s most likely the missing piece to the group dynamic that they decided to forgo for no apparent reason?

-Smithers who is that swel gal
-That's Koharu,Mr Burns
-Koharu ehhh is she a new character?
-No she is the daughter of Sakuragi, Go best friend, he is Yamper trainer and the first one who defeated Gengar sir
- Mmm doesn`t ring a bell

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom