• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Thoughts on Lycanroc Dusk

GrumpyShaymin

Not an Anime Artist
Reaction score
From what I can tell the Lycanroc Dusk Form reveal has had mixed reactions from the Pokemon Community. Some people like it, some people think it's lazy. Personally I like it's design a lot and I'm just glad that they're finally releasing even a little information in regards to Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Plus, revealing a new form to a Pokemon that debuted only a year ago is indicative of more fun additions in the future. So what do you guys think? Are you a fan? Are you excited? Are you disappointed? Let me know!

I'm in the mix of excited to finally saw what Lycanroc third form looked like and disappointed because is a hybrid fusion some sort of Midday and Midnight form. The only thing I'm concern is the stats and the second typing (if it's a second typing).

I think its fine for what it is and what it represents in its sunset/dusk theme. That and I like how the design hides away a star and moon motif into the form without making it too obvious. Also, for me, the fanart of the revealed form also makes the official design more fun to look at.

That and I like how the design hides away a star and moon motif into the form without making it too obvious.

I do like this detail, but I can't help but feel like there's something missing that would really set it apart. I think the exclusion of the rib stones is somewhat strange, but I can agree with what you said elsewhere that putting them on probably wouldn't have been significant enough to salvage it from the reaction it's getting. I've suggested giving it a green glow when it attacks, which I still think would be good. It was Alolan Marowak's in-game animations that saved that design for me, after all.

"Fine for what it is" is probably the right verdict, but I was expecting something more interesting.

I will say though that I really like orange and white being used together if the ratio is right, and it is in this case.

Last edited:
I'm unmoved in either direction. But I do find the ensuing freakout hilarious.

I'm just extremely disappointed. When realizing this third form was actually going to be thing, I was hoping on an entirely new wolf design and I'm definitely ok with new wolf designs.

I am not ok with simply a recolor and more hair. They didn't even give it a different looking model, its stance is exacly the same as Midday. It's just....lazy, I simply have no other word for it. Also, it's orange and that's just... no.

While I don't hate it, I'm not a fan of the whole line so the reveal just felt 'meh' to me from the start.

However, we finally got something after two months of silence. Even though I appreciate that they're keeping things more secret this time around (there were too many reveals/spoilers for SM!), there has to be some hype too. People are starting to forget that USUM is a thing!

... I just hope it's not too long until more news.

Meh... I like orange, but not the Dusk Form much. I am just glad that this eventual form has finally been revealed. Now just for the typing and stats.

Meh... I like orange, but not the Dusk Form much. I am just glad that this eventual form has finally been revealed. Now just for the typing and stats.

Speaking of typing, what do you think the chances are that it will be part Fire-type? That would make be interesting (barring a 4x weakness to Ground, though if its stats are good then that won't matter). It would certainly help tie in the orange coloring and sunset sort of theme it's got going on. Personally I think it's a bit unlikely, but who knows?

Speaking of typing, what do you think the chances are that it will be part Fire-type? That would make be interesting (barring a 4x weakness to Ground, though if its stats are good then that won't matter). It would certainly help tie in the orange coloring and sunset sort of theme it's got going on. Personally I think it's a bit unlikely, but who knows?
It will also then be 4x weak to Water. Wouldn't the temperature drop during sunset due to the sun disappearing? If so, that wouldn't work for Fire type, but more for Dark type. Because it's becoming darker.

A lot (including me) assumed Midnight Form would have a different typing due to its color, most thought Dark or Fighting. But nope, pure Rock type. Guessing anything based on color is dangerous nowadays :p

Also, since this is the form that Ash's Rockruff evolves into in the anime, I doubt it would be part Fire since he already has a Litten. And iirc Ash never had more of one type on his teams, right?

It would have two double weaknesses.

A lot (including me) assumed Midnight Form would have a different typing due to its color, most thought Dark or Fighting. But nope, pure Rock type. Guessing anything based on color is dangerous nowadays :p

Also, since this is the form that Ash's Rockruff evolves into in the anime, I doubt it would be part Fire since he already has a Litten. And iirc Ash never had more of one type on his teams, right?

He had 3 Flying-types and 2 Dragon-types in Kalos.

Honestly, even if it does feel kind of like a cop-out recolor, I do like its color scheme a little better than Midday Form, as well as those green eyes.

My biggest question is...will there be a Dawn Form as well? If so, will Rockruff evolve into one of the two new forms in USUM depending on which version you're playing? Are the two new forms tied into Necrozma's influence along with your version's mascot? Will you be able to encounter all four in Vast Poni Canyon depending on the actual time of day?

I remember many of the original Sun & Moon leaks did in fact say four Lycanroc forms based on the time of day...hmm...

He had 3 Flying-types and 2 Dragon-types in Kalos.

Wow Ash, that's terrible. Never watched that one, so figures haha. However, I think that multiple Flying-types (of which we have loads) is more forgiving than having two Fire-types (of which we do not have loads), so I still doubt it for that reason. Giving him two dragons though, I got no excuse for that -_-

It's honestly not that bad. It almost makes the general look of Midday more interesting. I think it deserves its own counter part like the other two have each other, but we shall see. Hopefully it has more interesting moves and stats. I really liked Midnight, but its thing being that it has to use Counter to get the most out of it was kind of a turn off. I wonder if it'll have a mix of both of the other forms move sets and stats. I could see this one and if there's another being a good middle ground for the other forms. Time will tell if I'll actually use it, but I'll keep an open mind. I don't think it'll have a different typing other than just rock. If they were gonna give a second type they would have just done it with Midnight. What's funny about this and it's possible counterpart is that we'll yet again have another form that we will likely be able to obtain in both games, but only be able to evolve Rockruff into depending on the game.They really should have made the forms either full on exclusives or let us decide based on the time of day. Not do a weird middle ground with both. Now we''ll have just another set with the same circumstances lol

But it's a wolf, not as adorable.

The first question that popped to m y mind is: will there be a Dawn Form?

upload_2017-8-6_17-7-10.png

But it's a wolf, not as adorable.

The first question that popped to m y mind is: will there be a Dawn Form?

I think the Japanese name actually refers to Twilight/Dusk/Dawn so the likelihood of also receiving a Dawn form is pretty low, unfortunately.

I think the way to obtain Dusk Form Lycanroc would be for Rockruff to evolve if you have a Midday Form Lycanroc and a Midnight Form Lycanroc in your party, and the time is Dusk.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom