• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Thoughts on Lycanroc Dusk

Oh boy, a unique form for a pokemon I didn't use in the first place so our Anime Protagonist can have ANOTHER SUPER DUPER SPECIAL POKEMANS.

Y'know usually when a character has something special in games or anime they tend to accomplish their goals and not end up failing every time like Ash does.

And it's event only? Even more yawn.

This whole scenario just reeks of "we can't have Ash's rockruff become midday or midnight, lets make a third option!" And it only makes me dislike the rockruff line because I hate when teh anime touches the video games. I hate Froakie's line because of Ash-Greninja and I also hate pikachu even more because now the dang things are the only pokemon who don't have natural cries anymore and instead belt out their name like the anime pokemon.

I like the design a good bit!

That said, I'm finding it curious as to why they push so much for it in trailers. A single Pokemon won't... Really sell a game, so it feels like they're causing a really huge deal out of giving a Pokemon a new form xD

I think its because of the idea that Lycanroc is getting a completely new form (not counting Alolan Forms of course), being the first of any normal Pokémon to get one, as other alternate forms in past games were always given to Legendaries and Mythicals.

Of course I could be wrong in this.

I think its because of the idea that Lycanroc is getting a completely new form (not counting Alolan Forms of course), being the first of any normal Pokémon to get one, as other alternate forms in past games were always given to Legendaries and Mythicals.

Ash Greninja ?

You forgot about Rotom's forms in Platinum, Spiky-Eared Pichu in HGSS, and Cosplay Pikachu & the various Megas in ORAS.

Though Pichu was the only permanent form, but it was exclusive to only HGSS and has remained as such. Dusk Lycanroc is the first permanent form introduced after that. I think Unown Question/Exclamation were in RS's data, but I'm not sure.

Ash Greninja ?

I think he's talking about mid-generation games, so Greninja wouldn't really count.

So now that it's been revealed that a Rockruff with the ability Own Tempo will evolve into a Dusk Form Lycanroc at level 25 between 5-6 PM in USUM...

I think it's still possible if not likely that a Dawn Form Lycanroc is in the works, presumably evolving from that same special Rockruff, but at 5-6 AM instead. I certainly hope so, if only to make it so Dusk Form Lycanroc is less of a repeat of Ash-Greninja.

Plus, since I'm probably going to be playing Ultra Moon, I'm not looking forward to having to wake up at 5 AM my time just to evolve that special Rockruff.

Last edited:
If Dusk Lycanroc wasn't event exclusive then maybe I'd think there was a possibility of another form to "even things out".

Love how they advertised Lycanroc's Z-move with the Dusk form when I'm expecting Midnight to carry Stone Edge most often out of the three kinds to use for No Guard purposes.

At least the US Own Tempo Rockruff will have the egg move Fire Fang, coverage I wouldn't have been prepared to lose otherwise with Lycanroc's movepool being so criminally poor already...

Love how they advertised Lycanroc's Z-move with the Dusk form when I'm expecting Midnight to carry Stone Edge most often out of the three kinds to use for No Guard purposes.

At least the US Own Tempo Rockruff will have the egg move Fire Fang, coverage I wouldn't have been prepared to lose otherwise with Lycanroc's movepool being so criminally poor already...

Maybe there weill be new move tutors for that. They should be here, if we go after the pattern.

Also am I getting this right, ANY Own Tempo Rockruff can evolve into Dawn? So there is a possibility to breed? The special thing about Even Rockruff is the FIre/Thunder Fang?

I think it's still possible if not likely that a Dawn Form Lycanroc is in the works, presumably evolving from that same special Rockruff, but at 5-6 AM instead. I certainly hope so, if only to make it so Dusk Form Lycanroc is less of a repeat of Ash-Greninja.

I want to believe this, but...

onlydusklyc.png
Unless they're completely lying to us here, there would have to be a second distribution, which wouldn't make much sense since the Own Tempo Rockruff will be available just as long as most early purchase distributions like Torchic, Munchlax, etc.

Also am I getting this right, ANY Own Tempo Rockruff can evolve into Dawn? So there is a possibility to breed? The special thing about Even Rockruff is the FIre/Thunder Fang?

No, what they're saying is that the special Rockruff that will evolve into Dusk Lycanroc will have Own Tempo.

For those who don't know it'll know Fire Fang in US and Thunder Fang in UM. The special Rockruff will also know Happy Hour which can be a pretty big deal. Z-Happy Hour raises all stats by one stage which is something a lot of people are looking forward to using with Lycanroc.

I wish there was less of a connection between the anime (blech) and the games. Ash-Greninja ruined the Froakie line for me (what about Chesnaught and Delphox?) and I don't want Lycanroc to end up that way. I like the designs of all three Lycanroc forms (it's actually become one of my favorite Pokemon for this reason) but if they continue to cater to a show meant for 8 year-olds, it kind of ruins the effect.

Design -wise I like it, but honesty, I don't think it was really necessary. I'd rather see some new alolan forms, and I hate the evolution method, event only, really??

At first I was pretty disappointed by the copy and paste look of it. But after seeing it more in the anime as well as in trailers, it admittedly has grown on me and I would like to use it on my team. I am upset that it currently seems to only be available through event though-what if I wanted to breed egg moves on to it, breed it into a different ball (the Cherish Ball can be a bit too outlandish for me) or breed a competitive one with good IVs?

I know they may follow like how they did for the Blazikenite in XY, but does that mean we are going to have to wait until the next generation of games to naturally obtain a Midday Lycanroc?

its weird that they didnt think of a Aurora form for Lycanroc, that would be rock/ice. But maybe in future games.

this way we could get a new ice/rock pokemon more easy.
It doesn't really fit in with its concept though. Lycanroc' forms represent different times of day, and aurora is not a time of day.

Besides, Aurorus is already a rock/ice Pokémon that represents aurora. They should come up with a new concept to design a new rock/ice Pokémon on. Not like it's a particularly great typing to begin with...

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom