• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DISCUSSION: thoughts on pokemon x pokemon ships?

ararlynn

tired lesbian
Reaction score
so i was (and still am) a person who tends to ship pokemon together. however, as i think more about it, it seems kind of weird. i was thinking of posting something pokemon x pokemon on here but i was wondering what everyone's standpoints on it are.

It happens, I guess. I mean... you can't really blame people for supporting ships due to the fact that Pokemon's Breeding Mechanic makes no biological sense, due to the fact that cross-species intercourse in real life half of the time, does not produce offspring, either that or the child goes out really messed up. Breeding in the Pokemon Franchise makes eggs, despite the fact that livestock or humanoid Pokemon (E.G: Tauros or Mr. Mime) can be counted as mammals, which do not produce eggs.

this was stupid, that you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Last edited:
I don't think there's anything weird about it. The anime had several (usually one-sided) Pokémon x Pokémon pairings, for instance.

Breeding in the Pokemon Franchise makes eggs, despite the fact that livestock or humanoid Pokemon (E.G: Tauros or Mr. Mime) can be counted as mammals, which do not produce eggs.
There's a line in XY relevant here from someone in Coumarine:
"So those Egg-like things that are found at the Pokemon Day Care...Strictly speaking, they're not Eggs. They're more like a Pokemon cradle."
So the mammal Pokémon are quite possibly having live births than wrapping the baby up in these "eggs" to protect them.
There's also that line about how supposedly no human has every actually seen a Pokémon lay an egg.
I think I recall also reading there was a comic or something released in Japan around G/S's release mentioning that the "eggs" are made of material that could be found nearby rather than eggshell, also pointing towards that idea.

"Pokémon x pokémon" is a really broad topic. I don't have a single perspective to cover it. I guess I don't see why anyone would even have a particular opinion about it at that level. Say if the question was, is it weird to ship Hero x Partner in a Mystery Dungeon fanfic, for example. I could then say it seems a perfectly reasonable ship. I'm sure there are ways you could write a pokémon character pairing that would be weird, but you've not brought up any specific concerns and that's already true of all shipping.

Less relevant, but the eggs thing always bothered me - I believe it's been suggested or even confirmed in canon that all eggs are delivered by a time-travelling celebi, which I find laughable.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom