• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Thoughts on Sirfetched?

There is no confirmation of that.
You are right. I meant to say that was most likely that it is evolution to its regular forme and unlikely that that there will be a Galar form. Wrote my last statement close to the end of my lunch break. Sorry for giving the impression that I that it was guaranteed.

You are right. I meant to say that was most likely that it is evolution to its regular forme and unlikely that that there will be a Galar form. Wrote my last statement close to the end of my lunch break. Sorry for giving the impression that I that it was guaranteed.
Aaaah I know that feel. Break times make for such a tough thought crunch.

I don't know about whether there will be a Galarian Farfetch'd or not, though. =/ On one hand, Sirfetch'd's design really doesn't warrant a Galarian Farfetch'd at all. But on the other hand, the Sirfetch'd trailer showed off a bunch of regional variants at the start, including Galarian Weezing, which just makes it so unclear to me. Was the point of that just to say "hey here's another regional old pokemon thing" or "here's another regional variant thing"? Hopefully they'll clear it up sooner rather than later.

I think it would depend on some things- like veggie armor would keep with Farfetch'd's aesthetic. Any armor would also give something to change about a Galarian Farfetch'd, whereas right now... they'd just be turning Farfetch'd white and calling that Fighting somehow.
Well, the sword and shield are making it a fighting pokemon ;)

It seems like they're blurring the lines between cross-gen evolutions and regional variants. I mean, Alolan Marowak and Exeggutor evolve from 'normal' Cubone and Exeggcute, the only difference being that these two already had an evolution. And is Obstagoon a cross-gen evolution or a regional variant, or both?

Bottom line, I don't think Farfetch'd will have a regional variant and in Galar it will simply evolve into Sirfetch'd when it meets the right conditions.

Well, there's only one form of Obstagoon, so it can't really be called a variant.
It evolves from a variant line though, so it's not your run-of-the-mill cross-gen evolution either. Because it technically doesn't evolve from a Pokemon introduced in a previous generation. Anyway, it was just to illustrate that GF is blurring the lines between existing categories with these new designs and that we don't really have patterns to hold on to anymore.

It evolves from a variant line though, so it's not your run-of-the-mill cross-gen evolution either.

Didn't say it was a regular crossgen, just saying that it can't be called a variant if there's only one form of it.
Because it technically doesn't evolve from a Pokemon introduced in a previous generation.
It really does, though. Every other alternate form of a Pokemon is still considered to be the same species as the original-Castform's forms aren't new Pokemon, Wormadam's forms aren't new Pokemon, etc.

Anyway, it was just to illustrate that GF is blurring the lines between existing categories with these new designs and that we don't really have patterns to hold on to anymore.
They're really just fanmade categories, though, it's not like Game Freak is breaking their own established convention. And it still seems to fit pretty neatly into definitions to me-

• Cross-gen evolution-An evolution introduced in a game after the pre-evolved form's introductory game.
  • Regional evolution-An evolution that only occurs if the prior stage is in a certain regional form.
So, Obstagoon is both a regional evolution and a cross-gen evolution-it's introduced in a later generation than Linoone, but only evolves from a regional variant of Linoone. Sirfetch'd could be a regional evolution if we have Galar Farfetch'd, but if it evolves from regular Farfetch'd, then it's just a cross-gen evolution. If, hypothetically, Charmeleon got a regional variant that evolved into something other than Charizard, then we could call Charizard a regional evolution-because it only evolves from one regional form of Charmeleon-without calling it a crossgen evolution, because it was introduced in the same gen as Charmeleon.

Didn't say it was a regular crossgen, just saying that it can't be called a variant if there's only one form of it.

It really does, though. Every other alternate form of a Pokemon is still considered to be the same species as the original-Castform's forms aren't new Pokemon, Wormadam's forms aren't new Pokemon, etc.
Those are examples all introduced at the same time though? And regional variants are introduced as 'new' Pokemon (at least by marketing). Not to mention you need the new design to get Obstagoon, you can'st just get your regular old Linoone and evolve it into Obstagoon.

Regardless, that's not really the point of this thread. I don't think we'll see a Galarian form of Farfetch'd cause Sirfetch'd description doesn't really hint at it.

I’ve seen several people speculate that Sirfetch’d will be Bea’s ace, but I don’t think that’ll be the case. Bea looks martial arts based as evident by her design and the Hitmontop she uses—I feel a knight Pokémon would be out of of place for her.

I can see Sirfetch’d getting a Fairy move, perhaps Play Rough, due to the presence of knights in a lot of fairy tales.

I can see Poison Jab, Swords Dance, Secret Sword, Slash, and Leaf Blade as likely moves, and Night Slash, Psycho Cut, and Icicle Spear as moves that’d be somewhat fitting.

Knowing some gyms. A new fighting type not in a fighting gym? If she uses 3 then it could be 1 of two left. I don't mean it needs to be her ace but would be good as a second pokemon. Spiky shield and Woodhammer also could work but leafblade is a safer option.

Regardless, that's not really the point of this thread. I don't think we'll see a Galarian form of Farfetch'd cause Sirfetch'd description doesn't really hint at it.
Well... it does say "Farfetch'd of Galar" on Sirfetch'd's page while Zigzagoon's page also says "Zigzagoon of Galar" so I think it still could easily fall either way.

I can't decide if I even want to a see a Galarian Farfetch'd- on one hand, I really do want to see regional evolutions attached to regional variants. I want that to be a clear cut thing. Regional evos evolve from regional variants- perfectly straightforward concept. On the other hand, though, Sirfetch'd's design is easily just a straight evolution of regular Farfetch'd and a Galarian Farfetch'd design would just be a pointless waste of time. I guess if it's gonna evolve from regular Farfetch'd... I hope it's just to excuse Sirfetch'd not appearing in remakes and that it will be in every new region that Farfetch'd appears in afterward. Not that excluding evos from remakes is fantastic either, but at this point Dexit has fucked everything up and I think we can probably expect more repeats of remakes with only the original games' pokedex like we saw in LGPE. Boring friggin' way to do things, but whatever.

Those are examples all introduced at the same time though?
Not seeing how that changes my point?
And regional variants are introduced as 'new' Pokemon (at least by marketing).
No? They're referred to as alternate forms in marketing, not new species. And the PokeDex still registers them as the same species of Pokemon. Every official reference to them doesn't call them new Pokemon, so why should they be categorized as such?
Not to mention you need the new design to get Obstagoon, you can'st just get your regular old Linoone and evolve it into Obstagoon.
That's why I said Obstagoon was a regional evolution?

Not seeing how that changes my point?
Your point being?

Look, all I'm saying is that we can't make any assumptions anymore based on previous 'patterns'. Cross-gen evolutions used to be fairly clear-cut, and now with regional variants having the ability to evolve in new species, they're not anymore. And that's fine. It just means we can't use these 'patterns' as part of our arguments anymore in our speculation. Or I guess you can, but they're not particularly strong support anymore.

No? They're referred to as alternate forms in marketing, not new species. And the PokeDex still registers them as the same species of Pokemon. Every official reference to them doesn't call them new Pokemon, so why should they be categorized as such?
Apologies, apparently I was thinking of Megas and their marketing, or at the very least Mewtwo's Megas, cause they referred to Mega Mewtwo Y as a new Pokemon. At least in their email, as you can see here.

Your point being?
That alternate forms of a Pokemon are still counted as the same Pokemon, like I opened that sentence with?

Every other alternate form of a Pokemon is still considered to be the same species as the original-
If you want examples introduced in different generations, we can look at Cosplay Pikachu, Partner Eevee, Spiky-Eared Pichu,, Fairy-type Arceus, Ash-Greninja, 10% and complete Zygarde, all of which are still counted as being the same species as their first form.

And if we include forms introduced after their first game, we can add Origin Giratina and Sky Form Shaymin (both introduced in Pt after their appearance in DP) the Therian forms of the Forces of Nature, Resolute Keldeo, and Black/White Kyurem (introduced in BW2 after appearing in BW), Hoopa Unbound (introduced in ORAS after appearing in XY), Dusk form Lyrcanroc and Necrozma's alternate forms (introduced in USUM after appearing in SuMo).

These Pokemon are still listed as alternate forms in the PokeDex, exactly the same as other Pokemon with alternate forms that were introduced at the same time.
Cross-gen evolutions used to be fairly clear-cut, and now with regional variants having the ability to evolve in new species, they're not anymore.
A cross-gen evolution is an evolution of a Pokemon introduced in a different gen. Just because we have a new form-based evolution method doesn't mean the definition's been changed at all, it just means we have a group that overlaps with it. If adding another evolution method muddled our definition of cross-gen evolutions, then we should have had problems all the way back in Gen 2, because it introduced new methods like trading while holding an item, and then again in Gen 4, with the introduction of location-based evolution, and again in Gen 6, with the introduction of Sylveon's evolution. If anything, the fact that Gen 8's cross gen evolution involves a new evolution method makes it more like other examples, since every other gen with cross gen evolution had at least one with a new method of evolving.
It just means we can't use these 'patterns' as part of our arguments anymore in our speculation.
But nobody's using patterns of cross-gen evolutions as arguments? There's not even any patterns to discuss there. The only consistent thing about a cross-gen evolution is that it's an evolution of a Pokemon from a previous generation, which we already know Sirfetch'd to be.

What people are discussing is the Affleck leak, and how it referred to Sirfetch'd as a "regional evolution". Because we're seeing that a regional form can have an exclusive evolution like Obstagoon, people have started calling that "regional evolution", taking the term from the leaker. But we don't know if the leaker meant regional evolution in the sense of an evolution only given to a regional variant, or if they meant that the evolution only takes place in a certain region, similar to other location-based evolutions.

interesting if it gets Dragon Hammer?
Would be something... seriously good that it got a lance and shield, realy fits the games this time.
Probably will get a lot of slash, hammer, sword and grass based moves.
Interesting will be healing and draining. Punches possible? Drain Punch? Or rather Giga Drain or treat the lance as a horn and Leech horn?
What do You think? Could get feather moves Roost would be a option actualy. Maybe enough.

I just hope they do another Passimian/Oranguru & make the Shield exclusive counterpart a Psychic type with a wizard theme.

Sirfetch'd feels like... I dunno, Mega Charizard X. And by that, I mean "Game Freak finally crumbled under 20+ years of persistent demands and gave the fans exactly what they wanted" because it just seems to tick everyone's boxes. You know what I mean? As usual though I'll probably reserve further judgement until we know more. I hope it's still compatible with Farfetch'd's Stick item.

As a side note, Absur'd or Illogic'l are what I would have named a Farfetch'd evolution back in the day.

What they should have done: Taken away the sword and shield from this one, turn it into Galarian farfetch'd. Give it a crane evolution with the sword and shield.

I've always been 'eh' when it comes to Farfetch'd. I'm decidedly 'ugh' at Sirfetch'd. I liked Madame better. Sirfetch'd is just a smug albino farfetch'd who's leek grew much bigger and shed some leaves for a shield.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom