• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Thoughts on the Kaze to Issho ni (Together With the Wind) MV

A very smart yet thoughtful way to promote the movie. I think they should have shown less of the kid as a baby and more of him watching the anime, though.

Nostalgia isn't a dirty word, folks. Letting adults share their childhood with their own kids is rare.

It's trying hard to be sentimental while promoting a very inferior version of the song imo. I still wish that the original song had been used instead of this remade version that screams of executive meddling. The concept of the video is pretty sweet, though.

Last edited:
I think they should have shown less of the kid as a baby and more of him watching the anime, though.
Her - the protagonist is Shokotan.

What really got me were all those shots of her with her father towards the climax of the song, given the context that her father died when she was 9.

Yes it was saccharine and sentimental but it made me reflect on how much my own life has changed since I first came into contact with the franchise.

Her - the protagonist is Shokotan.

What really got me were all those shots of her with her father towards the climax of the song, given the context that her father died when she was 9.

Yes it was saccharine and sentimental but it made me reflect on how much my own life has changed since I first came into contact with the franchise.
That makes sense, but I was thrown off by the dad and kid going to the cinema in the end. Also, baby Shoko looks boyish.

I didn't know that. Her dad in the video appears to grow old very fast. The real one must not have taken her to see the movie, then.

Last edited:
That makes sense, but I was thrown off by the dad and kid going to the cinema in the end. Also, baby Shoko looks boyish.
You can briefly see the reflection of a little girl in the reflection off the 1998 movie poster.
I didn't know that. Her dad in the video appears to grow old very fast. The real one must not have taken her to see the movie, then.
I remember reading about it in a feature by Dogasu a few years ago when she released an autobiography. IIRC her father died of cancer. I also remember from that that the original Mewtwo movie resonated with her so much because she was going through some depression/identity crisis at the time, so it probably was after he had passed away.

Yeah, I noticed the reflection after your first reply. Here are some notable differences between real Shoko and video Shoko:

1996 said:
On that same page, she talks about not having any friends to trade pokemon with and was therefore unable to evolve her Ghost into a Gangar.

And while the book is filled with touching stories here and there, this first chapter does have one that doesn't really sit well with me. Her mom, who was raising her as a single parent after Mr. Nakagawa passed away, was somehow able to afford to take Shoko with her to Walt Disney World in Orlando, FL. From Japan. The two travel to the other side of the planet and are at this world famous theme park...and Shoko spends the majority of the vacation with her face buried in her Game Boy. Her mom asks her to put it down and to look at the scenery around her, but Shoko simply replies "I am looking at the scenery...in Pokemon" (p29 - 30).
In the video, several kids do Pokemon activities with her, although not trading or battling. Her dad is shown even after they watch the movie together.

1998 said:
The first movie, Mewtwo Strikes Back, comes out the same year Shoko Nakagawa enters junior high school. She talks about how incredibly depressed she was during this time and how seeing Mewtwo struggle with the same problems she was going through - "Who am I?" "Why am I here?" - really helped her feel better about herself. She also talks about getting into some of her other fandoms around this time and about the time she was even able to meet her idol Jackie Chan (p55).
I don't know if her depression was related to her dad because he'd been dead for 4 years, but I'm guessing that she watched the movie alone because she was already 13 with no friends. And her mom might not have liked Pokemon after the Orlando trip, lol.

I was curious about the fancy clothes they wear during 1:17-1:40. It turns out that Japan has an entrance ceremony for schools.

While I didn't lived on 1998 Japan nor I played Gen I, I definitely felt the nostalgia they tried to convey and I was moved. That Pikachu plush :cry: The ending could have been a little better though.

It's a bit sad when Shokotan is looking at a dad with his kid, all while being alone. Not that she strikes me as the lonely type.

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Bringing Pokémon Merchandise into School
The two travel to the other side of the planet and are at this world famous theme park...and Shoko spends the majority of the vacation with her face buried in her Game Boy.
Relatable.

Pokemon made me pretty popular among boys in my class in 2000-2001. I did go to Euro Disney in between and had a good time, though. Sorry, Shoko.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom