• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Tier Discussion

But Rachi would only max out in the base 150s. Most Pokemon who boost their speed beat that

It can always trick the scarf on to the Pokemon trying to boost its speed and then get a free opportunity to use a move, when they switch.

well, pokemon who boost their speed generally have under 100 base speed, so at +1 they dont outspeed. THis mostly applies to Dnite or Mence with DD.

Volcarona is still around, but the presence of Drizzle and the lack of useful Rapid Spinners in OU limits its usefulness.

That and that Volcarona practically needs a team based around it.

Volcarona is a Pokemon that was really overrated during the early days of the 5th gen meta, the 4x stealth rock weakness requires a rapid spinner to be on the team with Volcarona, and even then, it gets dented by priority moves that it resists and things like Gyarados can stop it in it's tracks with Roar, Taunt or a Powerful STAB attack.

Volcarona is a Pokemon that was really overrated during the early days of the 5th gen meta, the 4x stealth rock weakness requires a rapid spinner to be on the team with Volcarona, and even then, it gets dented by priority moves that it resists and things like Gyarados can stop it in it's tracks with Roar, Taunt or a Powerful STAB attack.

actually, if it manages to set up 2 quiver dances, only azumarill can take it down and spin blocking itself is very difficult this gen, so its not impossible to spin over the rocks..Its deadly, if u dont prepare for it..

actually, if it manages to set up 2 quiver dances, only azumarill can take it down and spin blocking itself is very difficult this gen, so its not impossible to spin over the rocks..Its deadly, if u dont prepare for it..

That's true, by leading with Volcarona (to see what it was like) I sweeped 4 Pokemon after 1 QDance (they were setting up SR that turn). But if it doesn't lead, it's very difficult to switch in without a spinner.

I don't really tend to listen to the Smogcast (Smogon's show that is all about competitive battling), however as it was a Gen V UU edition (which conveniently is the only tier I play) I decided to listen to it. They featured many different Pokemon during it, however one they featured highly was Staraptor.

Wow these guys know their stuff. If you guys play UU you'd realise that Choice Band Brave Bird hits ridiculously hard, and can 2KO some varients of Lanturn. My 252 HP Lanturn can die to it. It's so powerful, even Physical Walls like Slowbro take a chunk of damage (Slowbro too is very good in UU).

So I was wondering if you wanted to talk about these UU Pokemon if any of you guys even know about UU this generation. I've found that a Venasaur/Slowbro/Arcanine core or any Grass/Water/Fire core has proven very effective. Deoxy's D. as a lead is very tough too. Mienshao and Ambipom are Anti-Leads that you have to always watch out for, and V-Create Victini is very destructive.

Well, it sounds like everything is as expected in UU, I haven't played it all too much, but hearing those pokemon were there, I'm not surprised.

I can say that one of the best pokes in ou right now is that washing machine.He has repeatedly beaten my team,single handedly.

It hits like a truck in the rain (boosted Hydro Pump and accurate Thunder, both STAB'd), and it's only weak to Grass (only 2x, unlike Water/Ground Pokes). Combine that with a lot of Rotom's old tricks, like Trick (lawl), Pain Split, and Substitute, as well as its great Sp. Attack, good bulk, and usable Speed, and you have quite a powerful Pokemon.

Rotom-W is also nice for Burning switch ins with WoW, and a LOT of things switch in on it. It also makes an absolutely amazing counter for Gliscor, which is OHKO'd by Hydro Pump.

I don't really tend to listen to the Smogcast (Smogon's show that is all about competitive battling), however as it was a Gen V UU edition (which conveniently is the only tier I play) I decided to listen to it. They featured many different Pokemon during it, however one they featured highly was Staraptor.

Wow these guys know their stuff. If you guys play UU you'd realise that Choice Band Brave Bird hits ridiculously hard, and can 2KO some varients of Lanturn. My 252 HP Lanturn can die to it. It's so powerful, even Physical Walls like Slowbro take a chunk of damage (Slowbro too is very good in UU).

So I was wondering if you wanted to talk about these UU Pokemon if any of you guys even know about UU this generation. I've found that a Venasaur/Slowbro/Arcanine core or any Grass/Water/Fire core has proven very effective. Deoxy's D. as a lead is very tough too. Mienshao and Ambipom are Anti-Leads that you have to always watch out for, and V-Create Victini is very destructive.

It's important to not that the PO UU metagame is different from Smogon's UU metagame. For example, Mienshao and Venusaur are OU on Smogon, but they are UU on PO.

Also, Staraptor 2HKO's every single Pokemon in Smogon's UU bar Rhyperior and Chansey (lol) AFAIK. It's really overpowered.

I haven't played much Gen V yet, but seeing how much people are talking about the weather in it, I'm wondering: is it possible that Cloud Nine Pokemon like Golduck, and Lickylicky and Altaria when they get their other abilities, to be popular in this metagame? Are they already?

No, they aren't, because it's better to use pokemon that can beat certain weather threats (Gliscor) than to use inferior pokemon (Golduck) in general.

What about Altaria? It is outclassed by Dragonite, but when it gets Cloud Nine, would it get a niche in the OU metagame, or do Pokemon like Gliscor still outclass it?

Still outclassed, think of it like this, what exactly does Altaria do to weather threats? Or other pokemon?

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom