• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Time Travel Paradox

Ferbgor

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
When migrating Pokemon from FireRed and LeafGreen to HeartGold and SoulSilver, the Pokemon are travelling through time, as FRLG took place 3 years before HGSS. This also means that you somehow contacted Red in the past and asked him to send you Pokemon. This all creates a complex chain of events. Migrating from Hoenn is different as Hoenn is a different region and pokemon could be transported electronically to Kanto at the present. It's strange that Prof. Elm is ok with trading these pokemon from the past but not the spiky-eared Pichu.

What about the Kanto-Johto trading that happened in Gen.2?

Thats not the point. I'm saying that even thogh it is not stated migrating from FRLG to HGSS is time travel.

Ooo. I never thought about this. So many things that GameFreak does that they aren't even aware of. The same thing happens with B/W - The pokemon are transported presumably 5 years into the future.

And if they didn't do it,we'd all whine about not transfering the pokemon over

I see the Red you play as and the Red you fight as different people (sorta like an alternate universe-type something or other). It especially holds true if you chose the girl in Kanto.

HGSS was released with the DSi in mind. While you can still migrate Pokémon over, the games were made with the idea of not needing to anymore. In case you were using a DSi and couldn't transfer, you could still catch 'em all (minus the Regis and events) with just Diamond, Pearl, either HG or SS, and a lot of patience.

Mabey when you trasfer it from game to game the game in one time when the pokemon is sent the pokemon is stored untill the next time then that trainer receves it how ever i dont know how they would do a gen2 -> gen 1 trade as thats going back in time.

I see the Red you play as and the Red you fight as different people (sorta like an alternate universe-type something or other). It especially holds true if you chose the girl in Kanto.
So the Team Rocket that you encounter during the game were beaten by who 3 years ago? And in Gen I there was no female character so that meant nothing in Gen II when you battle red. But they couldn't go around and mess with the most badass character in Pokémon for the remakes.

Certain allowances have to be made against canon for the sake of gameplay and features.

Even at the tender age of... whatever age I was when G/S came out, I despised the time travel thing with R/B/Y. I try to put that down to the franchise still finding its feet at the time and it just being a dumb decision.

I understand that R/B/Y/FR/LG and R/S/E take place at the same time; while D/P/Pt HG/SS take place 3 years later.

That's probably why it's impersonal migration rather than "YOU TOTALLY TRADED IN TIME." - so as to overlook the time difference.

But, sometimes you have to ignore those minute details and think: it's a game, allowances have to be made for that.

Oh please, this doesn't even compare to the paradox of having two Mewtwos in a single game or the paradox in Pokemon 4ever.

The not being able to trade the Spiky'eared Pichu is a good point, though. I think a better reason for not trading it would be: 'It could be dangerous; don't let other trainers get in contact with it.' That makes a little less sense, but then the paradox wouldn't happen.

Thats not the point. I'm saying that even thogh it is not stated migrating from FRLG to HGSS is time travel.
So its time travel because you say it is.

There are some things in the games that fans just have to go with and not think about.

If we're getting 'realistic' in terms of the gameverse, how is it then that your HgSs can communicate with multiple FrLg games as if there were multiple Reds?

And how exactly is it time travel? Things from the past are going into the future, not the other way around. For all you know, in-universe, those Pokemon are just in storage waiting three years. Claiming that progressing to the future is some kind of unrealistic time-travel is ridiculous since I'm doing it as I type this comment, and you're all doing this as you read it.

Oh please, this doesn't even compare to the paradox of having two Mewtwos in a single game or the paradox in Pokemon 4ever.

There are multiple games out there. Not everything everyone does in those games are canon. Only what the player is forced to do is canon, so catching legendaries or even catching any Pokemon that isn't handed out to you by NPC's isn't 'canon' in the game universe relative to that character's history no matter how much you like to pretend that Red caught Mewtwo. Perhaps he fought it, but catching it isn't required as part of the game.

In fact, the only player characters that it would be canon to catch legendaries are the BW protagonists.

It's called a Time Capsule. As in, y'know, a time capsule. All you're seeing is the past character (your Gen 1 Red) depositing the characters in, essentially, a storage device, and your current (or future, depending on your perspective) character (your Gen II Gold or Ethan or whatever his name is) retrieving them. Basically, instead of burying the item, you're putting them into a special kind of storage system that enables only specified others to access the Pokemon.

Not really time travel. Not in the conventional sense, anyway.

Migration isn't time travel, true. But in the G/S/C Time Capsule, you also send a Pokémon back to the R/B/Y cartridge. So that critter is traveling back in time.

I, for one, agree with the idea that it's powered by a forsaken Celebi.

There are multiple games out there. Not everything everyone does in those games are canon. Only what the player is forced to do is canon, so catching legendaries or even catching any Pokemon that isn't handed out to you by NPC's isn't 'canon' in the game universe relative to that character's history no matter how much you like to pretend that Red caught Mewtwo. Perhaps he fought it, but catching it isn't required as part of the game.

In fact, the only player characters that it would be canon to catch legendaries are the BW protagonists.
But that's my point. Your taking one Pokemon out of one canon and placing it in another.

I mean, sure, maybe that's not a time paradox but that's certainly a violation of space and isn't space and time in a sort of yin-yang situation?

I'll put it like this, isn't having a future version of one self and past ones self in the same time just as bad as having a version of one self in the same place as another version of one's self?

But that's my point. Your taking one Pokemon out of one canon and placing it in another.

I mean, sure, maybe that's not a time paradox but that's certainly a violation of space and isn't space and time in a sort of yin-yang situation?

I'll put it like this, isn't having a future version of one self and past ones self in the same time just as bad as having a version of one self in the same place as another version of one's self?
How about we put it the way Captain Kipper did:Certain allowances have to be made against canon for the sake of gameplay and features.

You want to validly complain about paradoxes? Go complain about some other media, or don't complain if Game Freak ever decides to listen to fandom stupidity and just not let people trade at all to avoid these so-called paradoxes.

i just assumed the migrated pokemon were donated to the pal park and the HGSS player character just so happened to be the one who end up with them

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom