• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Timeline of the Main Games?

NeoKING

空前絶後
Reaction score
Controversial Topic Alert!

How do the games go in terms of time?

I think it goes like this:

RBGY/FRLG happens at the same time RSE happens-> Silver and Giovanni have their falling out sometime after Red gets all 8 badges -> 3 years later, the GSC/HGSS events take place -> 1 year later, the Sinnoh events take place.

At first, I thought the Johto and Sinnoh series took place at the same time just like FRLG and RSE, but then I found an interesting little fact. In FRLG, there's a Lass on board the S.S. Anne that the player battles named Dawn who's travelling with an old man. In DPPt, it's stated at the beginning that Prof. Rowan and Dawn just came back to Sinnoh after a 4-year stay in Kanto studying under Prof. Oak. Since Johto takes place 3 years after Kanto, then of course Sinnoh would take place a year later, which would explain why some Johto characters are in Sinnoh during DPPt.

I say RSE happens during the Sevii Island portion of the game.

I'd like to see what this "Dawn's" Japanese name is, however, those on the SS Anne were staying onboard. They never left. It was also only Rowan that was in Kanto for 4 years, not Rowan and Dawn.

I say RSE happens during the Sevii Island portion of the game.

But the Sevii Islands weren't that long of an adventure IIRC. I think the time it took for Red to do that quest is the same amount of time it took for him to save Silph Co.

But the Sevii Islands weren't that long of an adventure IIRC. I think the time it took for Red to do that quest is the same amount of time it took for him to save Silph Co.

Happens, as in "starts", which would technically put RSE a year after Red's journey, just like how we know DPPt starts after the entire Team Rocket operation in Goldenrod is over. I can't imagine a Sinnoh camera crew giving up the opportunity to cover Team Rocket's return.

FrLg technically can't trade with RSE until you get the two plates (which is much longer than climbing up a building, considering it spans multiple islands), while in Emerald, it had been retconned to be able to trade with FrLg at any time.

I'm usually not for the use of game connectivity to place games in a timeline due to the issue with Colo/XD which some consider as part of the main series, however FrLg's connectivity issue actually has a plot related to it.

Last edited:
Happens, as in "starts", which would technically put RSE a year after Red's journey, just like how we know DPPt starts after the entire Team Rocket operation in Goldenrod is over. I can't imagine a Sinnoh camera crew giving up the opportunity to cover Team Rocket's return.

FrLg technically can't trade with RSE until you get the two plates (which is much longer than climbing up a building, considering it spans multiple islands), while in Emerald, it had been retconned to be able to trade with FrLg at any time.

I'm usually not for the use of game connectivity to place games in a timeline due to the issue with Colo/XD which some consider as part of the main series, however FrLg's connectivity issue actually has a plot related to it.

Good point. Wonder what timeline Black and White will use, seeing how it's much farther away from the other regions.

That's one really interesting note! While I believe that this Dawn reference is most certainly a coincidence, RSE taking place shortly after RGB/FRLG main adventure is actually one case not much considered in the past. Not to mention one that makes quite of sence.

One would think that TVs in Kanto would report the events taking place in Hoenn, if they took by the time Red was on his adventure. Furthermore, it would be much more convenient. :p It would be filling some time between the RGB/FRLG and GSC/HGSS events.

Also, Sinnoh events don't start one year later. :p Lucas', Dawn's and Barry's adventure begin shortly before Ethan arives at the Lake of Rage to capture Red Gyarados, based on the respective report on television. As for what ends first, this is one question actually. Cynthia and Frontier Brains appearing in Johto could mean DPT storyline ending before the completion of the HGSS one.

That Gentleman on the SS Anne is named Brooks, so that can't be Rowan unless Brooks is Rowan's last name.. But I don't think Dawn and Rowan went to Kanto with each other, did they? That that would mean that Dawn went to Kanto on her sixth for research with Rowan, considering the player characters are at the age of 10 when you start your adventure.

Also, Sinnoh events don't start one year later. :p Lucas', Dawn's and Barry's adventure begin shortly before Ethan arives at the Lake of Rage to capture Red Gyarados, based on the respective report on television. As for what ends first, this is one question actually. Cynthia and Frontier Brains appearing in Johto could mean DPT storyline ending before the completion of the HGSS one.
Obviously after since there was no Gyarados left. Besides, just because it was a documentary, doesn't mean it has to happen at that time, they could have filmed it any time after considering that it was a search for Red Gyarados, a search that came out empty.

I mean, how many Loch Ness or Big Foot documentaries do we have long after the original hoax? For all we know, this could be years after. The only reason we know this isn't true is because Jasmine has only just been convinced to try Super Contests on a Sunday after beating Erika in Kanto. The only time Cynthia appears in Johto is in an event that we can't place the actual timeline for, and the Battle Frontier was just a carbon copy of DPPt's one, right down to the NPC's. I wouldn't count that too canon in terms of timeline.

Odd..This topic arise again right when I'm planning on making a timeline video (I was inspired by all those Zelda ones).

That definitely has nothing do with Rowan and Lucas but..
What was the name of the lass in the JPN version? I'm just curious if it relates to Hikari in some coincidental way.

That Gentleman on the SS Anne is named Brooks, so that can't be Rowan unless Brooks is Rowan's last name..

Isn't Rowan his last name? You usually refer to important people or people of a high status (or age) than you by their last name.

Last edited:
Obviously after since there was no Gyarados left. Besides, just because it was a documentary, doesn't mean it has to happen at that time, they could have filmed it any time after considering that it was a search for Red Gyarados, a search that came out empty.

The reason I said 'before' was because I figured they would have learned that Ethan has captured Red Gyarados. So, if they were still looking for it, it would mean that Ethan hasn't captured it yet. However, now that I rewatched DP opening sequence, you may be right; it could be an urban legend was created because of the Red Gyarados in Lake of Rage, and since there were no reporters by the time Ethan arrived, maybe it wasn't made clear to the media that Red Gyarados was captured. But yes, there's also Jasmine to confirm that fact.

Also a controversial topic: canon character of each adventure. :p
I like to think that each one can consider whoever they want the 'canon' character, and same would apply for their starter.

For me, it's like that:
Kanto: Red / Charmander
Johto: Ethan / Cyndaquil
Hoenn: Brendan / Treecko/Mudkip (although, I also like May / Torchic in this role)
Sinnoh: Dawn / Chimchar

Odd..This topic arise again right when I'm planning on making a timeline video (I was inspired by all those Zelda ones).

That definitely has nothing do with Rowan and Lucas but..
What was the name of the lass in the JPN version? I'm just curious if it relates to Hikari in some coincidental way.

Isn't Rowan his last name? You usually refer to important people or people of a high status (or age) of you by their last name.
True.. But still, Rowan sounds more like a first name to me, instead of a last name..

Oh, I was wondering when this topic would pop up this week.

RGBYFRLG -> GSCHGSS and DPPt

No clue in regards to RSE.

For me, it's like that:
Kanto: Red / Charmander
Johto: Ethan / Cyndaquil
Hoenn: Brendan / Treecko/Mudkip (although, I also like May / Torchic in this role)
Sinnoh: Dawn / Chimchar

So far, the only one that has been confirmed canon is Red, and I'm pretty sure he's based off the Red from Yellow, with an unevolved Pikachu and all.
If the anime is anything to base off of, then he'd also be the only male (Ash) as all the other region protagonists have been female in it: May, Dawn, Lyra.

Hm..

Has anyone started trying to give an actual speculation about BW yet?

No, the anime has nothing to do with it. Plus, Jimmy (Ethan) is the protagonist of Johto in the anime. I do think it's Red, May, Dawn and Black though. Red probably caught that Pikachu..But enough of that, I made a topic about that a while ago.

I'm glad, actually. I was really disappointed when I saw Red at Mt. Silver and not Leaf. I'd like for GF to leave it ambiguous from now on. Besides, the only reason that made any sense was because the original RBGY games you didn't have a female option. Those were available Crystal and onwards, so I'm really opting for that.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom