• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Timid or Modest?

Youngster_Jack

Gengar Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if it's worth making a thread about this simple question, but I suppose it's one that could be debated. On that note, which do you prefer, a MODEST natured Mega Charizard Y or a TIMID natured Mega Charizard Y...and Y? ;)

Personally, I'm torn (hence why I'm asking). Timid does allow you to outspeed potential threats, yet modest seems most appropriate for a sweeper mon...or at least that's how I use my Char Y :cautious:.

I've both bred and used both natures :) Personally i would go timid just because charizard y has just the slightest lack in speed (being 100 base) and certainly doesn't hurt any in the special atk dept... so timid would make it the most well balanced threat :)

just to add, if you do go modest but want an edge (if it's your drought team staple) give it bp tailwind which can give you the best of both worlds

Last edited:
I've both bred and used both natures :) Personally i would go timid just because charizard y has just the slightest lack in speed (being 100 base) and certainly doesn't hurt any in the special atk dept... so timid would make it the most well balanced threat :)

just to add, if you do go modest but want an edge (if it's your drought team staple) give it bp tailwind which can give you the best of both worlds
Brilliant alternative with the tailwind. Thanks for the response brother (y)

Normally, Modest/Adamant is perfectly valid for breakers in ZardYs speed tier (MMedicham, MGardevoir), but ZardY is also a tool to get rid of sand, thus requiring you to outspeed Jolly Excadrill sans sand, which you need Timid for, barring irrelevant things like Cofagrigus.
Modest doesn't land you any OHKOs that you wouldn't land with Timid Fire Blast, anyway.

Don't use Tailwind. Not on ZardY itself, that is. It's so frail and its defensive typing is so bad that it will get a chance to set a Tailwind up in maybe one game out of a hundred. Don't give up coverage or Roost for that.

Normally, Modest/Adamant is perfectly valid for breakers in ZardYs speed tier (MMedicham, MGardevoir), but ZardY is also a tool to get rid of sand, thus requiring you to outspeed Jolly Excadrill sans sand, which you need Timid for, barring irrelevant things like Cofagrigus.
Modest doesn't land you any OHKOs that you wouldn't land with Timid Fire Blast, anyway.

Don't use Tailwind. Not on ZardY itself, that is. It's so frail and its defensive typing is so bad that it will get a chance to set a Tailwind up in maybe one game out of a hundred. Don't give up coverage or Roost for that.

Yea, I'm using timid and not tailwind. Simply thought Blahmon made a good point with the fact I could still have the potential of having the best of both worlds if I made an incredible prediction.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom