• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

TINA's Nuzlocke Series

Chapter 2: Leaf Green

Rules for this game will be as follows:
  • The challenge is done once i've completed the Sevii Isles questline
  • I will not be making use of the game corner
it's been a long time since i've played leaf green, so i might not remember everything that happens, especially in the sevii isles.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sometime after i defeated Hop, my mom decides that we should move to Japan to get closer to my dad. My dad is working as a gym leader in Kyushu - sorry, "Hoenn" - but my mom couldn't find a house for sale there, so instead we moved to Kanto, to a place called "Pallet Town". Unfortunately, Japan has strict laws concerning import ant export of pokemon, so i couldn't bring my team along, but professor Magnolia put me in contact with the local professor, who would give me a new pokemon. When we arrive, i meat the neighour kid. His name is Ben, and he seems like an asshat. I then have a chat with Professor Oak where he asks my name and my gender, cause he somehow can't see that i'm a girl just by looking at me. Then he asks me a question that confirms all the questions i had about his mental state: "What was my grandson's name again?" I can't help but feel sorry for Ben now; i know what it's like to lose a family member to dementia. He also seems to confuse me for some rival Ben had since he was born.

Anyway, i then go to my room in the same town. I hang around there for a bit, but then i decide to go out into the tall grass to get a new pokemon. Oak rushes to me and reminds me that it's not safe to go out there without a pokemon, so he takes me to his lab and gives me one of this region's starters. Ben is also here, to receive his first pokemon, but Oak lets me choose first. I pick Bulbasaur and name it Bulborb. Ben picks the Charmander and challenges me to a battle. During this battle, Oak finds it necessary to explain how battling works, probably because Ben doesn't know yet. Anyway, i beat Ben with little difficulty.

I then leave the lab and cross Route 1 to Viridian City. There, i head into the shop to buy some poke balls, when the guy asks me to bring a delivery back to professor Oak in pallet town, which i agree to. After i leave the shop, i realise i completely forgot to buy poke balls, but i figure i can do that later. I head back to pallet town and give the delivery to professor Oak. the package apparently contained some Poke Balls. Ben also walks in just at this moment, and Oak decides to give us both a pokedex. I'm not sure if i should really accept this; there's a decent chance this senile old man won't even remember he gave it to me by this time tomorrow. He also gives us some pokeballs.

On route 1, i catch a Rattata which i name Skeever. As i head on to route 2, an old man shows me how one catches a pokemon. i feel a sudden urge to go surfing back and forth off the coast of Cinnabar Island, but i can't get there yet so i guess i'll save that for later. Anyway, i head onto route 2 and catch Birdperson the Pidgey. In Viridian Forest, i catch Larve the Weedle. I then decide to train everyone up a bit.

After some training, i head onto route 22 and catch another Rattata, which i name Rioolrat. I then run into Ben again, who tells me that i'll need some badges before i can head this way and challenge the pokemon league. He then challenges me to a battle. He leads with Pidgey and i lead with Skeever. a few quick attacks takes him down, and he sends out Charmander. I switch to Birdperson and treat him to a few gusts, which takes him out.

I think i'll call it a day for now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Skeever (Rattata) lv 9
Bulborb (Bulbasaur) lv 9
Birdperson (Pidgey) lv 10
Larve (Weedle) lv 4
Rioolrat (Rattata) lv 2

After defeating Ben, i head back to Viridian City to challenge the gym, but once i get there, i notice that the door is locked; the gym leader must be out of town or something. Instead, i decide to head north through Viridian Forest. Eventually, i make my way through to Pewter City, but i decide i need to do some training before i'm ready to face Brock. After a while, i decide i'm strong enough and i head to the gym. This is a rock gym, but i'm not leaving anyone behind as i don't have death fodder to add to my team anyway.

The gym challenge in this gym is to... walk up to the gym leader. that's it. no puzzles or anything. I dispose of the gym trainer and walk up to Brock. I lead with Bulborb and he leads with Geodude. The geodude goes down in a single vine whip, and the Onix that comes after meets the same fate. I've earned my first Kantonian badge. I then decide to head for route 3, but as i'm about to enter the route, one of Professor Oak's aides shows up and gives me the running shoes. These new shoes are apparently a gift from my mom. not sure why i never thought of running while wearing my old shoes, but whatever.

I battle through the trainers on the route, and accidentally KO a wild pidgey i encountered. I then reach a pokemon center in the middle of nowhere, where some guy offers to sell me a pokemon for 500 yen. I accept, hoping to get some awesome, super strong pokemon. But no, it's just a dumb fish. i name it "Dumb Fish", and head into Mt. Moon, where i catch myself a Geodude, which i name Armsteen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Skeever (Rattata) lv 14
Birdperson (Pidgey) lv 14
Bulborb (Bulbasaur) lv 15
Armsteen (Geodude) lv 7
Dumb Fish (Magikarp) lv 5
Rioolrat (Rattata) lv 2

I decide to do some training to get Armsteen up to speed with the rest of my team. When he's up to speed, i decide to head into mount moon and probably get lost while trying to find my way through. after wantering about for a bit, i have to conclude that yup, i'm lost. While wandering around aimlessly looking for the exit, i run into these people who call themselves Team Rocket. they seem to be more serious than those Team Yell idiots back home; this must be those Yakuza types you always hear about. they're apparently looking for fossils here. Further in the cave, Bulborb evolves into Ivysaur.

After wandering around for a long time, i spot the fossils that Team Rocket are looking for, bur a scientist beat me to them and wishes to battle me for the right of owning them. I beat the shit out of him, and he allows me to take one of the fossils. I opt for the helix fossil because it looks cool. not sure what i'm gonna do with this rock though; i'll just keep it around as a good luck charm. The scientist then takes the other fossil. Not long after, i find my way out of the cave, and i reach Cerulean City. After healing, i head back to route 4, where i catch Not Ice the Sandshrew. This thing will be sitting in the box for now.

I then head north from Cerulean City and run into that asshat Ben, who challenges me to a battle. He leads with Pidgeotto and i lead with Armsteen. two rock throws take him out, and next is his charmander. I opt to keep Armsteen in, and a Magnitude 8 takes him out. Abra is next, so i switch in Dumb Fish and then immediately switch for Skeever. A single hyper fang finishes the thing off, and Ben sends out his own Rattata. I decide to let Birdperson handle this, and he goes down with little difficulty. After the battle, Ben gives me the fame checker because he feels sorry that he's always one step ahead of me.

I then decide to clear all the trainers on nugget bridge, as there's apparently a reward waiting for me at the end. That reward turns out to be a nugget. The guy then asks me if i want to join team rocket. apparently the police here in Japan is so incompetent that the Yakuza can just recruit out in the open. Anyway, i beat the shit out of this guy in battle, and then catch myself another Weedle, which i name Blargh. I then head onto route 25, where i catch Vlieger the Pidgey. While on this route, Birdperson evolves into Pidgeotto. At the end of the route, i enter the cottage of Bill the pokemon collector. I find that he has turned himself into a pokemon, so i help him become human again by pressing buttons on his PC. He gives me a ticket for a fancy boat cruise as a reward.

After this, i head back to town to challenge the gym. This is a water-type gym, so Armsteen will be sitting this one out. Instead, i'm taking Larve the Weedle, as death fodder. The gym puzzle here involves dealing with your disappointment about the fact that there is no gym puzzle. After dealing with the gym trainers, i head over to Misty and challenge her to a battle. She leads with Staryu and i lead with Birdperson. Birdperson manages to take it out, so next is Starmie. i switch to Bulborb and treat it to two vine whips, which kills it while i barely survive two critical hit swifts. Two Kanto badges in the pocket and not a single casualty so far.

I think i'll call it a day for now
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Armsteen (Geodude) lv 19
Bulborb (Ivysaur) lv 20
Skeever (Rattata) lv 19
Birdperson (Pidgeotto) lv 20
Dumb Fish (Magikarp) lv 6
Rioolrat (Rattata) lv 2

i'm starting to understand why people use species clause

Apparently, the only way out of Cerulean City is through the house of a couple that just got burgled. seems like very bad city design; no way to leave if this couple won't let you through. Anyway, i head through and defeat the Team Rocket grunt that broke in there, forcing him to give me the TM for Dig. I head south onto Route 5, where i catch S'krivva the Meowth. Apparently, the Meowth here are normal type, as opposed to the dark-type Meowth in Hawaii and the Steel types of my homeland. The road to Tokyo - sorry, "Saffron City" - is unfortunately closed, so i head through the tunnel to route 6. There, i catch another Pidgey and name it Poephoofd. Along the way, we lose Skeever to a critical hit Bubble while i wasn't paying attention. Rest in peace, my friend. There are many like you, but your contributions to the team will still not be forgotten.

I eventually make it through to Vermillion City, home to the SS Anne that Bill gave me a ticket to. Though before i head onto the boat, i head onto Route 11 and catch Sonic the Sandshrew. I then go into diglett's cave and catch John the Diglett. I let John and S'krivva onto my team, so i decide to train them as well as Dumb Fish to the level of everyone else.

After training for some time, i decide to call it a day for now.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Dumb Fish (Magikarp) lv 10
Armsteen (Geodude) lv 21
Bulborb (Ivysaur) lv 21
John (Diglett) lv 17
Birdperson (Pidgeotto) lv 21
S'krivva (Meowth) lv 17

just realised that i didn't have any rules surrounding the day care; OP has been edited accordingly

After a lot of training, i decide to just clear the route even though Dumb Fish isn't really done training. At the end of the route, i find my path blocked by a sleeping Snorlax, so i just head back and board the boat. Unfortunately, due to my dallying on route 11, i missed the party. There's still plenty of trainers on board who wish to battle me though. While i'm on the boat, Dumb Fish evolves into the mighty Gyarados. who'd have thought that such a stupid fish would become something useful?

Anyway, i think i'm calling it a day.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Armsteen (Geodude) lv 23
Dumb Fish (Gyarados) lv 21
Bulborb (Ivysaur) lv 24
John (Diglett) lv 21
Birdperson (Pidgeotto) lv 23
S'krivva (Meowth) lv 21

ran into a game-breaking bug where the game crashes every time i tried to do the rival fight. i thought i had this bug in my firered cartridge, but apparently it was leafgreen. the only workaround i see is to trade a pokemon to firered and teach it cut there so that i can progress. This is technically against nuzlocke rules, but i feel like i can make an exception here. i'll need to buy new batteries first though, to power 2 of my GBAs for the trade.

apparently my old link cable doesn't work anymore. I guess i'm going to have to start over in fire red. i'm so fucking happy right now.

I then wake up in my house in Pallet Town. apparently, my whole journey in Kanto so far was just a dream. i have a feeling that parts of that dream were prophecy, but we'll see. I try to go out into the tall grass, but Oak kidnaps me to his lab, where he gives me one of his pokemon. I pick Bulbasaur again and name him Bulborb. Ben challenges me to a fight as i try to leave, sand he beats me due to a crit, but since this was just a friendly match he doesn't kill Bulborb. I then head to Viridian City and enter the poke mart to buy some balls, but the guy at the counter asks me to deliver a parcel to professor oak in pallet town, so i go do that instead. Oak then gives me and Ben a pokedex and some poke balls, just like in my dream.

On route 1, i catch Skeever the Rattata. I then head north and listen to the old guy's explanation of pokemon catching. i once again feel a sudden urge to go surf off the coast of Cinnabar Island, but i cannot so i won't. on route 2, i catch Rups the Caterpie. in viridian forest, i catch Worm the other Caterpie. On route 22, i catch Rioolrat the Rattata. I decide to train up Bulborb and Skeever a bit. After i'm done training, i go to route 22 and fight Ben. I lead with Skeever and he leads with Pidgey. I'm forced to sacrifice Worm to get rid of a sand-attack and finish him off with quick attack. Next is Charmander, for which i switch to Bulborb. I use leech seed to sap his health, after which we exchange weak hits until he dies.

Ben then informs me that i need to collect all kanto badges to challenge the league, just like in Britain and in my dream. The viridian gym leader is out of town, so i head north through Viridian Forest. I then reach Pewter City, and a short training session later, i'm ready to face Brock. This is a rock gym without any puzzles, so Bulborb just powers through. Both Brock's Geodude and his Onix go town to a single vine whip each.

As i head east toward Mt. Moon, one of professor oak's aides stops me and gives me the running shoes, a gift from my mom. I catch a spearow not long after that and name it Tanzania. I then head into Mt. Moon and catch Armsteen the Geodude. As i go back to the pokemon center to heal, i once again get swindled into buying a dumb fish, which i again name Dumb Fish. I think i'll call it a day for now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Bulborb (Bulbasaur) lv 15
Skeever (Rattata) lv 15
Dumb Fish (Magikarp) lv 5
Armsteen (Geodude) lv 9
Tanzania (Spearow) lv 6
Rioolrat (Rattata) lv 3

I seriously considered just quitting this series after what happened, but i decided to just push through

Last edited:
I train Tanzania and Armsteen up a bit in Mt. Moon, and then head through. In there, i again run into the yakuza. As i'm disposing of them and the other trainers, Bulborb evolves into Ivysaur. I take the Helix Fossil and make my way through to Cerulean City. After healing at the pokemon center, i head back to route 4 and catch me an Ekans, which i name Lorkhan. I head north onto the nugget bridge, where that asshat Ben challenges me. He leads with Pidgeotto and i lead with Armsteen. I take him out in two rock throws, after which he sends out his Charmander. I stay in, but due to a sand attack from the pidgeotto, i cannot hit him and have to switch. I send out Tanzania into a metal claw that raises his attack. i have a big problem now. Tanzania manages to get in some damage with fury attack, but i have to switch again. i sacrifice Rioolrat to bring Skeever in. fortunately, Skeever outspeeds and KOs with Hyper Fang. Next is Abra, so i switch in Dumb Fish and then immediately switch to Tanzania, who takes it out. Last is Rattata, so i use my own Rattata and two-shot it with Hyper Fang and Quick Attack.

Ben then gives me the fame checker and fucks off. dunno why he thinks i care about gossip surrounding famous people. Anyway, i head north across the bridge, fighting 5 trainers along the way. At the end, a guy gives me a nugget for winning. He then tries to convince me to join Team Rocket. when i refused, he challenged me to a battle. seriously, is the Japanese police really this incompetent? why can the yakuza recruit people out in the open like this? anyway, i then catch a pidgey, which i name Birdperson.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Skeever (Rattata) lv 17
Armsteen (Geodude) lv 18
Bulborb (Ivysaur) lv 17
Tanzania (Spearow) lv 17
Rups (Caterpie) lv 4

On route 25, i encounter a weedle, but i accidentally KO it with a crit. i clear out the rest of the route and eventually arrive at Bill's house. not sure why you'd want to live here in the middle of nowhere, but whatever. Bill managed to turn himself into a pokemon, but i help him turn back. as a reward, he gives me a ticket to a fancy boat party in Vermillion City. i'll decide later whether i'll actually go. for now, it's Misty time. This is a water gym, so Armsteen is sitting this one out. instead, Lorkhan the Ekans will be joining us, as death fodder.

The gym is pretty straightforward; you just walk up to Misty and challenge her. She leads with Staryu and i lead with Bulborb. I take her out with 3 vine whips after she uses a super potion. Next is Starmie so i keep Bulborb in. Two vine whips and the victory is mine.

I leave town through the only possible way: through the house of a couple that's recently been burgled. Outside, i fight the team rocket member that broke in, but he doesn't pose much of a threat. I head south onto Route 5 and catch myself a Meowth, which i name S'krivva. The road to Tokyo is unfortunately closed, so i head through the Underground Path to Route 6. Once i arrive in Vermillion City, i heal up in the pokemon center and head back north to catch Birdyman the Pidgey. I could go to the party now, but i decide to hang around to the east of here first. I catch John the Diglett in Diglett's cave, and i accidentally kill a spearow on route 11 with a crit.

I then decide to clear out all the trainers here. While doing this, Tanzania evolves into Fearow and Skeever evolves into Raticate. At the end of the route, i find my way blocked by a sleeping Snorlax, so i've got little else to do than go to the party. This is where i woke up last time, so we'll see what happens. Unfortunately, i am late to the party due to dawdling on route 11, but there's still plenty of trainers to fight. At the exact spot where i woke up, Ben pops out and challenges me to a battle. this cannot be a coincidence. anyway, he leads with Pidgeotto and i lead with Armsteen. I one-shot him and he sends out Charmeleon, for which i switch to Skeever. I OHKO it with a critical hit Hyper Fang, and he sends out his own Raticate. Skeever stays in and one-shots it with hyper fang. Last is Kadabra, but i still decide against switching, and Skeever again OHKOs.

I then run into the captain, who appears to be seasick. How can a man of the seas possibly get seasick while docked in a port? some lousy captain if you ask me. anyway, i rub his back to alleviate the sickness, and he gives me HM01 Cut in return. I immediately teach the move to Skeever. My business on this ship is concluded, so i leave and the ship departs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Armsteen (Geodude) lv 24
Skeever (Raticate) lv 24
Tanzania (Fearow) lv 23
Bulborb (Ivysaur) lv 23
Rups (Caterpie) lv 4

i'm a bit overleveled right now, mainly because i only have 4 pokemon i'm using, but i trust that problem will go away once i find more useful pokemon to fill up my team.

Time for the gym now. This is an Electric gym, so Tanzania is sitting this one out. instead, i'm bringing Birdyman the Pidgey, as death fodder. The gym puzzle here is the dumbest shit i've ever seen. i have to sift through garbage to find the switches to an electric fence. seriously, who thought this was a sensible idea? there isn't even an opportunity to wash my hands afterward. anyway, i eventually reach Lt. Surge. He leads with Voltorb and i lead with Bulborb. i KO him with two razor leafs, and he sends out his Pikachu. I switch to Skeever and take him out with Hyper Fang. last is his Raichu, so i send out Armsteen. a single Magnitude 9 kills him, earning me my third badge. after the battle, Armsteen evolves into Graveler.

In town, i run into one of Professor Oak's aides, who tells me that another of his aides has a package for me on route 2. I head through Diglett's Cave to route 2, where the aide gives me HM05 Flash as a reward for having caught more than 10 kinds of pokemon. While i'm in the area, i decide to visit Pewter City's museum. There, some guy gives me a piece of Old Amber and asks me to look for a lab that'll resurrect a pokemon from it. kinda strange to trust a random kid with this, but whatever. i don't think professor oak will let me do this at his lab, so i'll search for other labs here in kanto.

I head back through Diglett's cave and to Vermillion City. There, i stop by the pokemon fan club, where the chairman wastes my time with talk about his Rapidash. he fortunately makes up for it by giving me a bike voucher, which i can exchange at the bike shop in Cerulean. I head back to Cerulean and exchange the voucher for a bike. Eh, i still prefer to walk. Since i'm here anyway, i decide to explore east of here on route 9. I catch an Ekans there, which i name Lucifer. Eventually, i get through to route 10 and the entrance to Rock Tunnel. On route 10, i catch another Spearow and name it Uganda. In rock tunnel, i accidentally kill a mankey. shame; this one would have been very useful on my team.

I decide that now is as good a moment as any to train up Dumb Fish. After training for some time, i decide to call it a day for now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Dumb Fish (Magikarp) lv 16
Tanzania (Fearow) lv 26
Armsteen (Graveler) lv 26
Skeever (Raticate) lv 26
Bulborb (Ivysaur) lv 26
Rups (Caterpie) lv 4

After more training, Dumb Fish evolves into the mighty Gyarados. i decide that it's trained enough now, but since i don't want to waste a moveslot on my actual team for flash, i train Rups up into Butterfree and teach it the move. I don't have a full team yet anyway. With all that preparation out of the way, it's time to head through Rock Tunnel.

Eventually, i make my way through and arrive in Lavender Town. There's a big pokemon graveyard here, but i decide to go explore the route down south before i pay my respects. However, i find the road blocked by the same Snorlax from before, so i head back to Lavender to pay my respects to the deceased. Here, i run into Ben, who also seems to be paying his respects here. He leads with Pidgeotto and i lead with Skeever. I two-shot him with Hyper Fang as he goes for Sand-Attack. Next is his Gyarados, so i switch for Bulborb. I take him out with a combination of sleep powder, leech seed and a few razor leafs. Then comes Exeggcute, so i send out Tanzania, who takes it down in two hits. Kadabra comes thereafter, which is Skeever's job. Skeever one-shots with Hyper Fang. Last is Charmeleon, so i send out Armsteen. one Rock Slide and he's down. didn't Ben use to have a Raticate too? maybe that's why he's in this graveyard.

I head further up the tower, getting buggered by strange ghosts along the way. at the end, a ghost told me to piss off and wouldn't let me through, so i guess i'm done here. i only came to pay my respects, but i know when i'm not wanted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Dumb Fish (Gyarados) lv 28
Tanzania (Fearow) lv 28
Armsteen (Graveler) lv 29
Skeever (Raticate) lv 27
Bulborb (Ivysaur) lv 29
Rups (Butterfree) lv 10

The unidentified ghosts obviously do not count as my encounter for pokemon tower

I decide to trek west from Lavender, where a crit kills a growlithe i wanted to catch. Unfortunately, this road to Tokyo is also closed, so i head through the underground path to route 7. I heal up in Celadon City, then i head back onto the route to catch an Oddish, which i name Plantenbak. I see that Celadon is infested by Team Rocket, but before i go deal with that, i head west and catch myself Eritrea the Spearow. I also got HM02 Fly here, but i'm not supposed to tell anyone how i got it. I teach this move to Tanzania and use it to get back to Celadon. On a rooftop there, i find an Eevee, which i name Buiri. I've found my 6th team member. After some deliberation, i buy a Thunderstone and evolve it into Jolteon. It's already decently strong so i don't have to train it up further right now.

looking for the source of all the team rocket trouble, i head into the casino, as those are often run by organized crime. A rocket there is suspiciously guarding a poster, so i defeat him and push the switch under the poster, revealing the hideout. then i do what any sensible person with a sense of self-preservation would do: i charge right into a yakuza den by myself. I manage to snag the lift key from one of their members, giving me pretty much unrestricted access to the base.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Buiri (Jolteon) lv 26
Skeever (Raticate) lv 29
Armsteen (Graveler) lv 31
Bulborb (Ivysaur) lv 30
Tanzania (Fearow) lv 29
Dumb Fish (Gyarados) lv 29

not sure why i always accidentally KO the useful mons but then catch all the spearows

Last edited:
Using the lift key, i reach the bottom floor, where the big bad himself, Giovanni, awaits. I challenge him to a battle to stop his evil actions. He leads with Onix and i lead with Bulborb. A single razor leaf takes out the stone snake, after which Giovanni sends out Rhyhorn, which awaits the same fate as Onix. Last is Kangaskhan, so i switch to Dumb Fish to get an intimidate in. Dumb Fish then takes it out with a few dragon rages while it does barely anything to me. After i win, Giovanni gives me the Silph Scope and evacuates the base.

The Silph Scope allows one to identify ghosts, so i could use it to reach the upper floors of Pokemon Tower in Lavender Town, but before i head back there, i decide to challenge the Celadon Gym. This is a grass gym, so Armsteen will be sitting this one out. Instead, i will be taking Lorkhan the Ekans, as death fodder. There isn't much of a puzzle to this gym, though you do need to cut down a tree to reach Erika. The trainers here are very annoying though, as they like to poison me all the time, so i have to go back to the pokemon center all the time.

Erika time. She leads with Victreebel and i lead with Tanzania. a single Fly takes out the Victreebel, so Tangela is next. Tangela also goes down to a single fly, so we'll see whether that also applies to her last pokemon, Vileplume. I crit against the vileplume, so we'll never know whether a single fly would've been enough, but it doesn't really matter. easy victory. Erika gives me the badge and the TM for Giga Drain, which i immediately teach to Bulborb.

I fly back to Lavender to check out the top floors of the pokemon tower. Along the way, i try to catch a Gastly, but it curses itself to death. I identify the ghost that stopped me last time i was here, which turns out to be a Marowak Team Rocket murdered. I defeated and calmed the spirit, allowing her to pass on to the afterlife. On the top floor, i encounter Team Rocket, who are holding Mr. Fuji here. I defeat the rockets and save Mr. Fuji, but he informs me that he came here of his own volition to calm the Marowak spirit i fought earlier. We head to his house and he gives me the Poke Flute, which can wake up the sleeping Snorlax on various routes. At this point, i realise that i never took Armsteen back out of the box, so i go do that. I then head south on Route 12 and awaken the Snorlax there, which i catch and name Dr Snorlax. In case you're curious, it has a PhD in nutrition. It's going to replace Skeever on my team now. Sorry Skeever, you contributed a lot to the team, but this new guy is simply better than you in every way.

I proceeded south on the route, where the Fishing Guru's younger brother gave me the Super Rod. Before i continue on, i decide to use this rod to get some new encounters. In Pallet Town, i catch Sea-Epona the Horsea. In Viridian City, i catch Tajiri the Poliwag. In Vermillion City, i catch Ariel the Horsea. Finally, in Celadon City, i catch Sashimi the Magikarp.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Dumb Fish (Gyarados) lv 30
Dr Snorlax (Snorlax) lv 30
Bulborb (Ivysaur) lv 31
Tanzania (Fearow) lv 31
Armsteen (Graveler) lv 31
Buiri (Jolteon) lv 30

Last edited:
I head south from where i got the rod. I teach Bulborb Cut along the way, since i won't be using Skeever anymore for that. Eventually, i reach Route 13 and catch Slijm the Gloom. This route is a maze of fences, so it takes me a while to find my way through. One route later, on route 14, Bulborb evolves into Venusaur, making it even stronger and bulkier than it already was. On this same route, i catch Wuppie the Venonat.

After this long trek, i finally arrive in Fuchsia City, which is more a giant zoo than a city. In some guy's back yard, i throw out my Super Rod and net me a Goldeen, which i catch and name Kasumi. Before i head anywhere else, i decide to check out this city's famous Safari Zone, which is a place where you can catch pokemon, but not battle them. I manage to catch myself a Nidorina, which i nickname Leia. I also find a set of Gold Teeth, with a notice nearby that the safari zone warden as lost his nearby, so i guess i'll return these when i'm done here. I then enter a building near there, and since i'm apparently the first person to do so, i receive HM03 Surf for my troubles. I immediately teach this new move to Dumb Fish. Unfortunately, i cannot use it out of battle until i defeat Koga, the gym leader here, which i don't intend to do just yet.

I return the golden teeth to the Warden and he gives me HM04 Strength in return, which i immediately teach to Dumb Fish too. I think i'll call it a day for now.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Bulborb (Venusaur) lv 33
Dr Snorlax (Snorlax) lv 33
Tanzania (Fearow) lv 33
Dumb Fish (Gyarados) lv 33
Armsteen (Graveler) lv 34
Buiri (Jolteon) lv 34

Damn that route was long

I head for Route 18 next, where i catch a Doduo after dealing with the bird keepers. I shall name it Meppel. I then head onto Cycling Road, where i'm forced to use the bike i got in Cerulean. i prefer going by foot, but i guess that's not allowed here. I catch yet another spearow on this route, and i name this one Botswana. At the end of Cycling Road, i find my path blocked by a Snorlax again, but i don't feel like waking this one up atm.

Before i go challenge Koga, i decide to train everyone up a bit. After i'm done, i head into the gym. This is a poison gym, so nobody will have to sit this one out. I did buy some antidotes beforehand though. The gym challenge here involves navigating my way around invisible walls to reach the gym leader. The gym trainers here also use a lot of psychic pokemon for some reason, in addition to the poison mons.

After struggling to find my way in this maze, i finally reach Koga and challenge him to a battle. He leads with Koffing while i lead with Dumb Fish. Koga uses a Hyper Potion after two of my Strengths, but i manage to KO him with 2 more as it was a range. Next is Muk, so i send out Armsteen. Muk likes to minimize, and when i do finally hit him with a Magnitude 8, he heals his pokemon back up immediately. He also uses Toxic to poison me. After many unsuccesful attempts to hit him with magnitude, and one succesful attempt to hit him with Magnitude 4, i switch to Bulborb. I manage to get off a Leech Seed, but i'm forced to switch to Dumb Fish shortly after. Dumb Fish finally finishes off the Muk, but it's poisoned and heavily damaged. Koffing is next, so i send out Tanzania. Tanzania manages to kill it, but is now also poisoned and essentially incapacitated. Last is Weezing, for which i send out Dr. Snorlax. Weezing uses Toxic immediately, but Dr. Snorlax just Rests it off, and a Sleep Talk Body Slam kills the Weezing and grants me the victory.

The badge i just got apparently allows me to use the move Surf outside of battle, to ride a pokemon across the waves. This seems similar to what those Team Yell goons wanted to do with that Drednaw way back in Britain. guess they weren't so stupid after all. Anyway, i think i'll just call it a day for now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Dumb Fish (Gyarados) lv 37
Dr Snorlax (Snorlax) lv 37
Armsteen (Graveler) lv 37
Buiri (Jolteon) lv 37
Bulborb (Venusaur) lv 37
Tanzania (Fearow) lv 38

5 badges without any deaths that matter. pretty good, if i do say so myself. i was kinda worried about the Weezing, especially when my strategy against the Muk failed and left half my team unable to battle, but Snorlax is just this good, especially against status users.

With my newfound ability to ride my Gyarados over water, i decide to explore off the coast of Rock Tunnel. There, i find an abandoned power plant. Who builds a power plant out here? i can imagine it'd be terribly inconvenient for the workers to have to surf their way to work every day. No wonder the place was abandoned. Anyway, i catch a Magnemite here, which i name Magneto. I also find a big electric chicken here, but it's ugly so i ignore it.

Unsure where to go next, i hang around the Celadon Mansion for a bit, where a nice old lady gives me a cup of tea. i recall the guards to Tokyo all telling me they were thirsty, so i decide to support them on the job and give them something to drink, even if they still can't let me though. seems like a nice thing to do. After giving the guard the tea, he tells me that i can go through now. seems rather corrupt, to just lift the roadblock in exchange for a drink, but i'll take it. i've finally arrived in Tokyo.

Many of the buildings here, including the gym, are blocked off by team rocket grunts. One of the few that isn't blocked is the fighting dojo, so i go in there to train for a bit. After i beat everyone up, the dojo master gives me his Hitmonchan, which i name Jackie. I then ask around a bit what Team Rocket is doing in town, and people direct me to Silph Company, so i head there. the rockets are probably after more Silph Scopes or something.

Why on earth does this office building have teleporter pads everywhere? that can't be practical for the employees. it must be a real pain to work here, team rocket or no team rocket. Anyway, i eventually stumble across a card key that's used to open the doors here, so i now have full access to the building. After systematically clearing these yakuza thugs from all floors, i run into Ben, who challenges me to a battle. I don't think it's appropriate to have such a battle when the building is still controlled by Team Rocket, but whatever. He leads with Pidgeot and i lead with Buiri. Pidgeot goes down without much trouble, and ben sends out Gyarados, so i keep Buiri out and one-shot it. Exeggcute is next, so i switch to Tanzania, who takes it out with one Drill Peck. Then comes Alakazam, for which i keep Tanzania in. a single Drill Peck takes it down. Last but not least, he sends out his Charizard, so i switch to Armsteen and take it out with a Rock Slide. After the battle, a Silph employee gives me a Lapras, which i name Tramontaan.

Now it's time for the big bad himself. Giovanni leads with Nidorino and i lead with Bulborb. I immediately switch to Armsteen to take it out with a Magnitude 9. Next up is Nidoqueen, for which i send out Dumb Fish. it takes a few hits from Surf, but sinceit only tried to Poison Sting me, it went down easily. Then comes Rhyhorn, for which i send Bulborb back out. I Giga Drain it down in one hit. Kangashan is last, for which i'm gonna use Buiri. We exchange weak hits for a bit, but Buiri ends up on top. Giovanni is defeated and agrees to leave Silph alone, and the president gives me a Master Ball for my efforts.

With the Rocket threat taken care of, i can go challenge the Gym. This is a psychic gym, so Bulborb is sitting this one out. Instead, i'll be taking Lorkhan the Ekans, as death fodder. The challenge here is to use teleporter pads similar to those in Silph Co to navigate the gym and reach the leader. Eventually, i manage to find my way to Sabrina, so i challenge her to a battle. She leads with Kadabra and i lead with Buiri. A single Pin Missile takes ot out, and she sends out her Mr. Mime. This one takes two Pin Missiles as it goes for a Calm Mind. Next is Venomoth, so i switch to Tanzania who one-shots it. Alakazam is last, so i switch back to Buiri. This one takes 3 hits, and does some serious damage with Psychic after a Calm Mind, but i manage to take it down, netting my my 6th badge.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Bulborb (Venusaur) lv 39
Armsteen (Graveler) lv 40
Tanzania (Fearow) lv 41
Dr Snorlax (Snorlax) lv 41
Dumb Fish (Gyarados) lv 41
Buiri (Jolteon) lv 42

am i really doing things in the right order? cause Koga gave me a lot more trouble than any of the bosses i fought today.

For the next gym, i head into the great sea to find Cinnabar Island. I never picked up a map of the region, so i'm not completely sure where this island is. I think i'll start my search south of Fuchsia. On this water route, i catch a Tentacool, which i name Squidward. On route 20, i encounter another Tentacool, which i call Blooper.

The first island i find is unfortunately not Cinnabar Island. Instead, i've stumbled onto a place called the Seafoam Islands. In the caves here, i catch myself a Zubat, which i name Bruce. I also spot a big frozen chicken in here, but it's ugly so i ignore it. After a long time of just stumbling about, i find the other exit of this cave complex and continue exploring the seas. Eventually, i arrive at the actual Cinnabar Island. Now it's time to do something i've wanted to do ever since the old man first showed me how to catch a pokemon. I surf back and forth on the east coast of the island. I catch a Tentacool there, which i nickname MissingNo. This island also seems to have a fossil revival lab, so i bring my old amber and helix fossil there. They revive them into Jesus the Omanyte and Jura the Aerodactyl.

The gym is locked, so i'm guessing the gym leader must be out of town. Until he comes back, i guess i'm just gonna hang around on the route north of here. I fish up Johnny the Horsea and surf all the way towards Pallet Town, where i go visit my mom. I rest here for a bit, before flying back to Cinnabar to check whether the Gym Leader's back. Nope, the gym's still locked. I decide to kill some time by exploring the abandoned mansion here. In here, i toss the Master Ball at a Koffing, and i name it Kojirou. This mansion contains a bunch of journals about the creation of a pokemon called Mewtwo. Probably ugly though. In the basement, i also find the key to the Gym.

I decide to snoop around the gym a bit while i wait for the gym leader to return, but it turns out he was locked in here all this time along with his Gym Trainers. I guess i'll just challenge them then. This is a Fire gym, so Bulborb will be sitting this one out. Instead, i'll be taking Lorhan the Ekans, as death fodder. The Gym challenge here is rather straightforward; you defeat a trainer, and the door will open to the next one. There are weird machines in the corner of the room, but i don't trust them. Eventually, i make my way to Blaine and i challenge him to a battle. He leads with Growlithe and i lead with Armsteen. A magnitude 8 takes it out, so next is the Arcanine. I decide to stay in, but Arcanine's fire blast hit way harder than i expected, so Armsteen's down. I send out Dumb Fish to murder the Arcanine to death in revenge. it takes me two hits, and a critical hit fire blast means that Dumb Fish is at half health. Blaine sends out his Ponyta next, for which i use Dr Snorlax. Dr Snorlax one-shots with a Body Slam, so last is Rapidash. I keep Dr Snorlax out, and Body Slam him numerous times as Blaine uses Hyper Potion after Hyper Potion. Eventually though, he goes down.

We won the badge, but we lost Armsteen. Rest in peace, old friend. You've been with us all the way since Mt. Moon and proved your worth in countless battles, even if you started to fall off toward the end. I guess i wasn't going to stay death-free forever.

When i leave the gym, i'm greeted by my old friend Bill, who invites me to come to One Island with him. That's in the Sevii Archipelago i think. I can use a little vacation to process the death of Armsteen, so i accept. On the island, Bill introduces me to his friend Celio, who's trying to get the PC system to connect with Kanto. I wish they had told me sooner that connection isn't possible; Bulborb is still in the PC due to being weak to the Gym, so due to Armsteen's death, i only have 4 usable pokemon and a piece of fodder on me. Anyway, Bill asks me to go give a meteorite to his friend on Two Island, so i guess i'll do that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Buiri (Jolteon) lv 43
Dr Snorlax (Snorlax) lv 44
Dumb Fish (Gyarados) lv 43
Tanzania (Fearow) lv 43
Lorkhan (Ekans) lv 6
Armsteen's corpse

If you're wondering why i used the master ball on the koffing, i was worried that it might blow up otherwise, depriving me of an encounter for the area. was this a smart move? probably not, as i have multiple poison types already, but whatever.

i'm honestly not sure how i'm going to combine my rule about continuing after a whiteout with mons i have in the box with the fact that i cannot currently access my box. i've just decided that i'll try to not let it come to that.

I take the boat to Two Island to give the meteorite to Bill's friend. The friend doesn't seem very interested in the meteor though, as he's wrried about his daughter Lostelle being out. While we were talking, a goon on a bike barged in and talked about meeting his friends at Three Island. They're probs up to no good, so i guess i'll head over there to check it out. Over on three island, the bikers are indeed causing trouble, so i dispose of them. One of the people i saved informed me that Lostelle headed through here to the Bond Bridge, so i guess i'll be heading that way. At the bond bridge, which isn't really a bridge at all but rather just a route, a Pidgey whirlwinds me away before i can catch it.

I head through and reach the Berry Forest, where i catch a Drowzee and name it Creep. This is a big, complex forest and i lack the ability to clear small trees with Cut, so it takes me quite a while to navigate it to where Lostelle is. Eventually, i find Lostelle and dispose of the Hypno that was harassing her. I bring her back to her father's home on Two Island. I also hand the guy the Meteorite that i was still carrying, and he rewarded me with a Moon Stone.

In the mean time, Bill and Celio got the PC to connect with Kanto. Bill takes me back to Kanto without even asking me, but he says i can keep his Tri-Pass so that i can go to the Sevii Isles any time from the port in Vermillion. I can now finally take Bulborb back onto my team. The time has also come to replace Armsteen, so after much deliberation, i let Jackie the Hitmonchan onto my team. Before i resume my vacation, i decide to help out Professor Oak with his Pokedex project, by going on a catching spree. I catch Grimer, Growlithe, Weedle, Abra, Nidoran-M, Parasect, Rhyhorn, Exeggcute, Psyduck, Goldeen, Seaking, Nidoran-F and Paras. But they're all ugly so i release them immediately. I then happen to pass through the gate at route 15, where i meet one of Professor Oak's aides. He gives me the Exp Share as a reward for my efforts.

Time to resume my vacation. in the town on One Island, i fish up a Gyarados, which i name Haru. South of there on Treasure Beach, i catch another Spearow, which i name Cameroon. I think i'll call it a day for now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Bulborb (Venusaur) lv 43
Tanzania (Fearow) lv 44
Buiri (Jolteon) lv 44
Dumb Fish (Gyarados) lv 44
Jackie (Hitmonchan) vs 25

After exploring the treasure beach, i decide to head north along the kindle road to check out the Ember Spa. Along the way, i caught a Geodude and named it Rots. At the Spa, a guy gives me HM06 Rock Smash, which i immediately teach to Jackie. I then take some time to just lie in the hot water and relax. this is the good life. i wish i could just lounge in this spa forever without a care in the world.

About an hour later, i decide that i shouldn't spend all my vacation in one place, so i decide to go check out the view on Mt. Ember. I catch another Spearow there, and name this one Burundi. I make my way to the peak to take in the amazing view over the island. There's also a big flaming chicken here, but it's ugly so i ignore it.

My next destination is the Cape Brink on Two Island. I fish up a poliwag here, which i name Swirly. Anyway, the waterfall here is truly beautiful. Not sure how such a thing can form on a small island like this, but i'll leave that to the geologists. I'm just here to take in the amazing sights. If you've never been on a vacation to the Sevii Isles, i strongly recommend that you visit someday. I decide that this is the perfect spot to train Jackie up so that it'll be good when i continue my gym challenge.

After training for some time, i decide to return from vacation and continue my gym challenge. The only gym left is the Viridian Gym, where the Gym Leader has returned during my vacation. I don't know who the gym leader is, but he apparently specializes in Ground-type pokemon, so Buiri's sitting this one out. Instead, i'm bringing Lorkhan the Ekans, as death fodder. The gym puzzle involves navigating through sliding floor panels, similar to what i saw to the Team Rocket hideout in Celadon. those rockets probs stole the tech from here or something.

Eventually, i make my way to the Gym leader, who turns out to be Giovanni. who'd have thought that the leader of the last gym would be the big bad himself. This explains the gym's similarities to the rocket base. Anyway, i challenge him to a battle. He leads with Rhyhorn and i lead with Jackie. I bring his health down with Sky Uppercut as he uses a Scary Face, but he uses a super potion when i go for the kill with mach punch. Fortunately, i still outspeed and use Sky Uppercut to kill him. Next is Dugtrio, so i send out Tanzania. He goes down to a single Drill Peck. Rhyhorn is next, so i switch to Bulborb and OHKO with a crit Giga Drain. Against Nidoqueen, i send out Dumb Fish, who two-shots with Surf. Last is Nidoking, so i keep Dumb Fish out and kill it with another two surfs. 8 badges in the pocket.

Giovanni is so ashamed of his defeat that he decides to disband Team Rocket forever. good that my pokemon skills have solved the crime spree here in Kanto. Anyway, i'm finally ready now to challenge the league.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Jackie (Hitmonchan) lv 43
Tanzania (Fearow) lv 45
Buiri (Jolteon) lv 45
Bulborb (Venusaur) lv 45
Dumb Fish (Gyarados) lv 46

Rhyhorn? Seriously? this guy's the last gym leader, and his ace is a fucking NFE mon? Giovanni's a joke.

Last edited:
After a short training session, i make my way down route 22. I have all the badges now, so the guards should let me through to the league. However, on the way, i run into Ben again, who challenges me to a battle. He leads with Pidgeot, while i lead with Buiri. Buiri takes serious damage from a crit quick attack, but manages to OHKO with a crit of its own. Rhyhorn is next, so i send out Bulborb, who one-shots it. Up next is Alakazam, for whom i have no real answer. I decide to send out Dr. Snorlax, who paralyzes it with a Body Slam while it goes for calm mind, also paralyzing me due to synchronise. Alakazam misses a disable, and i take it out with another body slam. Next is Exeggcute, so i send out Tanzania. A single Drill Peck takes it out, so Gyarados is next. I switch back to Buiri, who outspeeds and one-shots. Last is Charizard, for which i'm using Dumb Fish. Ben decides that Flamethrower is the best move to use against a water type, so i take it out without all that much trouble. After the battle, Ben heads off to the league, an i also head that way after going back to heal.

For some reason, they have separate checkponts here to check for each of the badges. wouldn't it be more efficient to just have one guy check for all of them? Anyway, i catch a Psyduck along the way and name it Donald. Eventually, i pass through all the checkpoints and find myself in a cave called Victory Road. I catch myself an Onix here and name it Takeshi. However, toward the end of the cave, things went horribly wrong. a nidoqueen in a double battle turned out to know Superpower, which took out Dr Snorlax on the turn when i was about to rest off its damage. Dr Snorlax had been an invaluable friend and partner. It has played a pivotal role in many battles, most notably the fight against Koga, where it singlehandedly took out his ace. You rested often, so i hope you'll now enjoy your final rest. RIP my friend.

Immediately after, i find myself on the Indigo Plateau, the location of Kanto's Pokemon League. I think i'll call it a day for now.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Bulborb (Venusaur) lv 47
Tanzania (Fearow) lv 46
Buiri (Jolteon) lv 46
Jackie (Hitmonchan) lv 46
Dumb Fish (Gyarados) lv 48

Back
Top Bottom