• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

TINA's Nuzlocke Series

To replace Dr Snorlax, i've decided to train Swirly the Poliwag up into a Poliwhirl and then trade it for Zynx the Jynx. The trainer i got Zynx from insists that the name is written in all caps, but that's weird so i'm not gonna do that. Now it's time for a lot of training to get ready for the League.

After training for a long time, i decide to call it a day.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Zynx (Jynx) lv 48
Dumb Fish (Gyarados) lv 48
Bulborb (Venusaur) lv 48
Tanzania (Fearow) lv 48
Jackie (Hitmonchan) lv 48
Buiri (Jolteon) lv 48

not much to report today. training a mon from lv 20 to almost lv 50 takes time and isn't very eventful. anyway, i never specified in my rules how i'm treating in-game trades, so i've decided that i'm allowed to do them so long as the mon i'm trading away is one i'm allowed to use. I'm updating the OP with this rule.

After a lot of training, i finally decide it's time to head up to the Indigo Plateau and challenge the Elite Four. My first opponent is Lorelei, thei Ice-type user. She leads with Dewgong and i lead with Jackie. A single Sky Uppercut takes it out, so she switches to Slowbro. I decide to use Buiri for this, but Thunder misses and she gets off a Surf, so i have to switch to Dumb Fish. We exchange weak hits and she uses a healing item, but eventually i take her down due to her tendency to go for amnesia. Next is Cloyster, so i send Jackie back out. Cloyster manages to get Hail up before i take it out with a sky uppercut and a mach punch. Jynx is next, and since i dont have a real answer, i switch to Zynx, my own Jynx. I get her to sleep with Lovely Kiss, and then get in a few Body Slams before she goes for a Full Restore. I put her to sleep again and kill her. Last is Lapras, so i send Jackie back out. A crit Sky Uppercut one-shots him, granting me the victory.

Next up is Agatha. She leads with Gengar and i lead with Tanzania. I two-shot it while she poisons Tanzania with Toxic. Golbat is next, so i switch to Buiri, who almost kills with thunder wave, but instead ends up confused while Agatha restores her health. Buiri hits itself in confusion a few too many times, so i switch to Dumb Fish, who manages to take it out after getting poisoned too. Arbok's up next, so i send out Zynx and OHKO it with Psychic. Then comes her second Gengar, for whom i'll send out Tanzania, who does good damage but then has to switch out. I go for Dumb Fish to lower his attack with Intimidate, but Dumb Fish has to switch out too. I send in Jackie, who gets poisoned by Sludge Bomb on the switch-in. Jackie's Ice Punch does far less than i thought it would, so i switch in Bulborb as she goes for a full restore. I use Sleep Powder as he misses a Hypnosis. This gives me an opportunity to get Zynx in, who OHKOs with Psychic. Last is Haunter, but a single Psychic takes it out. I won, but if Agatha takes so much effort, i'm worried about the next 2 battles.

Anyway, Lance is up next. He leads with Gyarados while i lead with Buiri. I OHKO with a critical hit shock wave, but the crit probs didn't matter. Next is Dragonair, so i send out Zynx, who OHKOs with Ice Punch. Then comes Aerodactyl, so i switch back to Buiri. I miss the first Thunder while he goes for Scary Face. He then goes for Ancientpower and gets the boost to all his stats, causing him to survive my second thunder. I'm not sure if he's going to heal or kill me, so i switch in Dumb Fish for an intimidate. He goes for a Full Restore, and then weakens me with Ancientpower so i have to switch again. I send out Bulborb, who takes serious damage but manages to get a sleep power and a giga drain off. I then get Zynx in and kill with Ice Punch before he wakes up. Up next is Dragonite, so i keep Zynx in, who outspeeds and OHKOs with a crit Ice Punch, though the crit again probs didn't matter. Last is his other Dragonair, who also goes down to one Ice Punch. Upon defeat, Lance informs me that Ben beat me here and is now the Champion of Kanto.

I head up to Ben and challenge him for the title. He leads with Pidgeot and i lead with Buiri. I'm getting a lot of crit luck today; a critical hit Thunder takes out the Pidgeot. Next is Rhydon, so i send out Bulborb and OHKO him with Giga Drain. Next is Alakazam, for which i switch to Zynx. Two Ice Punches force him to use a full restore, after which another crit brings him back to a sliver immediately. He uses another full restore though, but two Ice Punches later, he is frozen with only a sliver of health left. I KO him, but Zynx is now only at half health. Anyway, Gyarados is next, so Buiri comes out and only just doesn't OHKO, leading to Gyarados dealing heavy damage with Thrash before going out to a quick attack. Exeggutor comes in, so i send out Tanzania to Drill Peck it to death. Up last is his starter Charizard, so i send out Dumb Fish. He manages to burn me, but it doesn't end up mattering. Victory is mine! I am now the champion of Kanto!

Oak then comes in to congratulate me on winning. Why does his family let this demented old fool run around so far from home? Apparently, he came here to congratulate Ben on winning, but then i beat Ben before Oak got here. Oak then leads me into the hall of fame, where my pokemon will forever be registered as champions. all that hard work and training has finally paid off.

I think i'll call it a day for now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Buiri (Jolteon) lv 56
Tanzania (Fearow) lv 55
Bulborb (Venusaur) lv 55
Jackie (Hitmonchan) lv 55
Zynx (Jynx) lv 57
Dumb Fish (Gyarados) lv 55

people often complain about grinding, but i actually kinda like when the game makes me work for a victory. makes it feel earned. This isn't the end though; i still have the postgame to do.

Now that i'm champion, i take some time to help Professor Oak out with the pokedex. I catch Gastly, Shellder, Voltorb, Pikachu, Golbat, Seel and Dewgong. But they're all ugly so i release them immediately. I then go to show the professor my progress, when Ben also shows up. As a reward for the progress we've made, Oak upgrades out pokedexes with national mode, and asks for our help to fill it out. yeah no, i'm not going to catch all of those mons. screw that.

Rather than working on the oldtimer's pokedex request, i decide to visit my friend Celio on One Island. Celio tells me that he is working to upgrade his network machine, but he needs a gemstone from somewhere on one island. I go looking for it up north, making a stop at the Ember Spa along the way for some relaxation. When i reach Mt. Ember, i see two rocket grunts talk about a search for treasure. i overhear one of the passwords for their base, "Goldeen need log". didn't these losers disband when i beat Giovanni back in Viridian? anyway, i dispose of them pretty easily. I then head into the cave they've uncovered. Inside, i find a few strength puzzles and a room with a bunch of braille text. further down, i find a ruby, which must be the gemstone Celio was referring to.

I bring the ruby back to Celio, who then asks another favor of me. He asks me to search the rest of the Sevii Isles for another gemstone, one that pairs with the ruby. He hands me a pass to get to the other islands, as well as a town map.

I start my search on Seven Island. I head north towards the Trainer Tower, fishing up Minenco the Qwilfish along the way. No luck here though. I then explore south of the town, catching Abrikoos the Phanpy in the Canyon Entrance. In the Seavault Canyon, i catch a Fearow, which i name Mozambique. If you enjoy hiking, this canyon is certainly worth your time; the rugged landscape and scenery makes for the perfect hike. I encounter a small cave here with no wild pokemon, which contains a strength puzzle. When i solved it, i heard a rumble somewhere far away, but nothing immediate seemed to happen. I head south from here to the Tanoby Ruins, where i catch Trudy the Tentacool. There are mysterious chambers here that i hope will have some connection to the other gem. But alas, they only contain these weird alphabet pokemon. I catch A the Unown in the Monean Chamber, C in the Liptoo Chamber, N in the Weepth Chamber, L in the Dilford Chamber, Y in the Scufib Chamber, W in the Rixy Chamber and Z in the Viapois Chamber.

I think i'll call it a day for now
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Buiri (Jolteon) lv 56
Tanzania (Fearow) lv 57
Bulborb (Venusaur) lv 57
Jackie (Hitmonchan) lv 57
Zynx (Jynx) lv 58
Dumb Fish (Gyarados) lf 57

i honestly can't tell you why i went through the effort to get all those unown

My next destination is Four Island. The moment i land there, i run into Ben, who accuses me of copying him for coming to the Sevii Isles. He said something about eggs and that someone we both know is on the island, and then he fucked off. Anyway, I caught a Wooper here, which i named Glen after my old friend from Britain, may he rest in peace. I then headed into the ice caverns here on the island. Really strange that a tropical locale like the Sevii Islands has a frozen cave; i'd definitely recommend a visit. I caught Zeeziggy the Seel here and explored further into the cave, where i found HM07 Waterfall. I immediately taught it to Dumb Fish so that i could scale the waterfall at the start of the cave. In the area behind the waterfall, i encountered the Elite Four's Lorelei, who was facing off against some rocket grunts. I help her kick some rocket butt, and they scurry off to their base on Five Island.

I decide to give chase and pursue the thugs to their base. In five island town, i fish up a Seadra and name it Sea-Epona. I then head into the meadow, which is infested with rocket thugs. this would have been a striking locale, if it weren't for the unsightly warehouse team rocket built here. I catch a Sentret here, which i name Timon. Unfortunately, the password i overheard on One Island wasn't sufficient to open the base, so i cannot enter.

My mission to bring these rockets to justice has failed, so i'll just continue searching Five Island for gemstones. I head south to the Memorial Pillar, where i catch Waaistruik the Hoppip. No gemstones here though. even if there were any, it'd be wrong to take it; stealing from the dead and all that. So i head north from the town into the Water Labyrinth. Here, i caught myself another Hoppip, which i named Tumbleweed. This place sure does live up to its name; it's impossible to navigate. At the end, i meet a man who wants to give me something; he tells me to return when i have space in my party. gotcha; i'll make a mental note. For now though, i'm heading on to the Resort Gorgeous, which also lives up to its name. It's no wonder painters flock to this place. I catch yet another Hoppip here, which i name Chimmy. I then head on into Lost Cave, which seems like the best place on the island to look for gemstones. I catch a Gastly here, which i nickname Gasball. I don't find a gemstone here, but i do find a confused young lady who seems to be lost here. She seems to be the lady of the Resort Gorgeous, so i guide her home. not even a thank you though.

I've searched all of Five Island, leaving only Six Island. In the pokemon center there, i run into Ben again, who theorises that we would need to obtain pokemon from somewhere far away to complete the national dex. That honestly makes me care even less about the old coot's dex mission. i'm not gonna try if it's impossible to succeed. Anyway, i head east onto the water path where i catch Noeklz the Tentacool. Then i head on to the Pattern Bush. This place is really something special, with the unique patterns in the grass. i've never seen anything quite like it. While here, i catch a caterpie which i name Baggermug. I head through the pattern bush and find myself on the green path, which is a really strange name for a water route. I catch another tentacool here and name this one Inky. Further north on the Outcast Island, i catch a Tentacruel and name it Ruru. I head into the cave here expecting to find a gemstone or maybe rare pokemon like Aipom, Pineco or Shuckle. Just zubat here though. I catch one and name it Scrat.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Dumb Fish (Gyarados) lv 58
Tanzania (Fearow) lv 60
Buiri (Jolteon) lv 58
Bulborb (Venusaur) lv 59
Zynx (Jynx) lv 59
Jackie (Hitmonchan) lv 58

Thought i'd do the rest of the postgame today, but ran into time constraints. i'll do the rest next time.

I fly back to town and go exploring to the south. I stumble upon the Ruin Valley, where i catch Oup the Wooper. This mountainous area seems like the perfect place to be looking for gemstones. One of the ruin maniacs here even tells me that he suspects there are mysterious gemstones in the ruins up ahead. The entrance has a braille inscription on it. foruntately, i can read braille, so i can decipher that i need to use Cut. I make my way inside and navigate my way down a number of holes based on the braille inscriptions on the central pillar. I eventually make my way down, where i spot a Sapphire. this must be the gemstone Celio was looking for. Unfortunately, just before i can grab it, some other guy comes down and snatches it. He says he'll sell it to Team Rocket, and taunts me to come get it back. He informs me that the second password to the rocket base is "yes nah chansey".

I give chase and make my way into the warehouse. it has the same sliding floor tiles that Team Rocket seems to be fond of. I eventually make my way to their admins. The first admin leads with Muk while i lead with Buiri. i two-shot it with a thunder and a shock wave as it goes for minimize. Next up is Arbok, for which i switch to Zynx. Then tragedy strikes. i misclick and go for ice punch, giving him the opportunity to OHKO with a critical hit Iron Tail. Zynx had been an invaluable party member ever since she joined the team, playing a vital role against Lance. rest in peace, my friend. Buiri comes in but can't revenge kill due to a hyper potion, but he outspeeds and two-shots it anyway. Last is Vileplume, for which i send out Tanzania. a single Drill Peck takes it down.

I opt not to replace Zynx before i clear the rest of the base. The next admin leads with Golbat while i lead with Buiri again. I one-shot it, and out comes his Weezing. i decide to keep Buiri in and take it down with a single Thunder. Last is Houndoom, so i switch to Jackie. Jackie tanks a flamethrower and retaliates with Sky Uppercut, one-shotting it. Upon beating this guy, he spots Giovanni's badge in my inventory and now believes that team rocket has truly disbanded. He says that he will eventually find Giovanni and resurrect Team Rocket. this is bad news; seems my victory over giovanni wasn't the end of Kanto's crime spree.

I then run into the scientist who swiped the sapphire. He's pretty pissed that i stopped him from selling the sapphire, so he attacks me. he leads with Voltorb and i lead with Bulborb. A single giga drain takes him out, so Porygon is up next. I switch to Jackie and one-shot him. Next is Electrode, so i switch back to Bulborb, who two-shots it as it goes for Charge. Magnemite comes out next, so i send Jackie back out, who misses the first sky uppercut leaving me paralyzed from thunder wave, but the second move takes him out. last is Magneton, so i keep Jackie in to one-shot it after taking two sonicbooms. Upon winning, this scientist dude gives me the Sapphire.

I head back to One Island and give the sapphire to Celio. He uses it to update his network device and allow trades with Kyushu, where my dad lives.

I decide to take some time to reflect on my journeys through Kanto and the Sevii Isles, and the friends i've lost along the way.

Worm the Caterpie. you gave your life to grant us our second victory against Ben. you probably wouldn't have amounted to much, but it's still sad to see you go. RIP.

Rioolrat the Rattata. You weren't the only rattata on my team, but we still appreciate your valiant sacrifice in the third fight against Ben. RIP.

Armsteen the Graveler. You were invaluable for much of the early game. you started to fall off toward the end, but you definitely didn't deserve that gruesome death against Blaine. RIP.

Dr Snorlax the Snorlax. You were the backbone of my tram through the mid-to late-game, before that unfortunate accident in Victory Road. You were adept at resting, so you'll have no trouble resting in peace. RIP.

Zynx the Jynx. You played a vital role against several members of the Elite Four, as well as the champion. sad to see you go out during the home stretch. gone but not forgotten. RIP.

I have little more business in the sevii isles now, so i think i'm going to go do some training on Mt. Silver. I'll leave Lance in charge of the Pokemon League for the time being.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Winning Team:
Bulborb (Venusaur) lv 59
Tanzania (Fearow) lv 61
Jackie (Hitmonchan) lv 59
Buiri (Jolteon) lv 59
Dumb Fish (Gyarados) lv 59

didn't expect to lose a pokemon so close to the end. still though, i'd say only 3 losses that mattered is pretty good.

Chapter 3: Omega Ruby will start in a few days

Chapter 3: Omega Ruby

Rules for this game will be as follows:
  • the challenge is complete once i've finished the Delta Episode
  • the EXP share will not be used
  • if my first encounter on a route is a horde encounter, i may choose which of the pokemon to catch
  • i will not make use of the dex nav nor respond to rustling grass
  • the underwater is considered a single area that is not part of the routes above it
  • I will not be visiting mirage spots
  • i don't recall whether you have to use rayquaza at the end of the delta episode, but if so, that's an obvious exception to my no legendaries rule
i've decided not to limit my use of mega evolution, since i'll probs only get one or two mons that can use it anyway

i know the original ruby & sapphire like the back of my hand, but i don't think i've replayed the remake at all since it came out, so this game might have a few curveballs it can throw my way. we'll see.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has it really been 3 years since i beat the kanto league? man, it's been a long time. anyway, here i was training on mount silver, when some kid who looked a lot like me came and defeated me, killing all my pokemon in the process. As i was about to catch new mons to replace them, my mom called and said she had finally found us a house in Kyushu - sorry, "Hoenn" - so we can live there with my dad. It's been a long time since i've seen my dad, so i came along in the back of the moving truck, which is totally safe btw and not dangerous at all. my dad put me in contact with the local professor, so i texted with him along the way.

After a while, we arrive in my new hometown. After the moving Machoke leave, i head to my room and set the clock my dad gave me. When i get down, my mom calls my attention to a TV report featuring my dad, but it's already ended by the time i reach the TV. Anyway, i head over to the neighbour's house to introduce myself to the kid there. Guy's name is brendan. for some reason, he thought that the gym leader's kid would be a guy. whatever. we talk for a bit and then he rushes off to go help his dad the professor with his research.

I head back outside when i hear a call for help from route 101. There, the professor is being chased by a wild Poochyena. I quickly grab a poke ball from his bag and send out Torchic to combat the thing. He thanks me and takes me back to his lab. He talks a bit about how my dad's blood flows through my veins, and gives me the Torchic i used earlier, which i name Benekiptus. He then asks me to go fetch Brendan for him, who is doing research over on route 103. When i reach Oldale town on my way there, some poke mart employee decides to blabber on about what a poke mart and a pokemon center are. i head to the mart, but they seem to be out of poke balls for now. i'll come back later.

I find Brendan on route 103, and he challenges me to a battle. He claims there's stuff he can teach me about pokemon. i'm the champion of 2 regions, but sure, some random kid can still teach me about pokemon. I send out Benekiptus and he sends out his Mudkip. Several scratches later, i emerge as the victor. what exactly was this guy gonna teach? how to get your pokemon killed? anyway, we head back to the lab where the professor gives me the local pokedex. I have misplaced the national dex Oak gave me, so this will come in handy. Brendan then gives me a bunch of poke balls to catch pokemon with.

As i try to leave town, my mom comes up to me and wishes me a pleasant trip. Brendan then also comes up to me and updates the pokenav i got earlier when i came to this region. With all that out of the way, i now head onto the route and catch a Wurmple, which i name Blargh. At the end of the route, Brendan points out a pokemon's tail sticking out of the grass and instructs me on how to sneak up to it. i don't care, so i just head off to oldale town and through to route 103. Here, i catch a Wingull, which i name Peeko. I then head onto Route 102 and catch Ziggy the Zigzagoon there. Zigzagoon in this region are apparently pure normal, as opposed to the normal/dark Zigzagoon of my homeland. I decide to train Ziggy and Peeko up a bit while here. When i'm done, i head through the route to Petalburg City, where my dad serves as the gym leader.

I head to the gym and speak with my dad for the first time in forever. as we're catching up and i tell him about my adventures through Britain and Kanto, a kid named Wally comes in and asks for my dad's help in catching a pokemon to keep him company when he moves to Verdanturf. Dad asks me to show Wally how to catch a pokemon, so we head onto route 102 where he catches a Ralts. We then head back to the gym. After we chat for a bit, my dad tells me to head for Rustboro City and challenge the gym there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Peeko (Wingull) lv 6
Benekiptus (Torchic) lv 7
Ziggy (Zigzagoon) lv 6
Blargh (Wurmple) lv 2

Last edited:
I head onto route 104, where i catch another Wingull, which i name Scuttle. After dealing with the trainers here, i head into the Petalburg Woods, where i catch Boet the Zigzagoon. I go for a short training session, after which i continue through the forest. Halfway through, i encounter a scientist looking for Shroomish. i spotted a few while training, so this guy is in the right place. However, as we're talking, a weird guy dressed in red shows up to steal something the scientist had on him. I jump in to protect the scientist, and Benekiptus beats up the weirdo's Poochyena. He warns me not to cross Team Magma and then leaves. The scientist thanks me and gives me an EXP Share as a reward. nice; these things are super useful during training. However, my pokemon don't seem to want to hold this one, so i just toss it out. no point hauling useless junk around. The scientist then heals my pokemon and heads north to Rustboro city, as the Magma Grunt had said something about going there.

I also head north, and eventually make my way out of the forest and onto the remaining part of route 104 and then through to Rustboro. When i arrive, i spot Brendan coming out of the Poke Mart. guy's apparently never been in a sizeable city before, judging by how in awe he is of this town. I explore a bit, and a guy in one of the houses judges me worthy of using HM01 Cut, so he gives it to me. I immediately teach it to Ziggy, but i'll need the gym badge before i can actually use it. Before i go to collect said badge, i decide to go explore up north a bit. Route 115 holds nothing of interest, and on route 116, i catch another Zigzagoon, which i name Zappa. In Rusturf Tunnel, i catch a Whismur, which i name Konaan. Unfortunately, this is a dead end, so i guess i'll have to go back.

The gym here is rock type, which is a huge problem for my team, as the only pokemon i have that works against it is also weak to it. Because of this, i decide to train up Blargh hoping that it'll evolve into something useful. It evolves into Cascoon and then Dustox, which is not ideal, but i can make it work. After my training is done, i head for the gym. Since this is a rock gym, i decide to leave Benekiptus behind in favor of Konaan the Whismur. I also leave Scuttle the Wingull in the box in favor of Zappa the Zigzagoon. The moment i set foot inside, i'm greeted by the gym leader Roxanne, who explains how the gyms work here in Kyushu. it isn't actually different from how they work in kanto, so i'll spare you the details.

The gym puzzle here revolves around fighting your way through hordes of trainers with sturdy geodudes. I eventually make my way through to Roxanne and challenge her. She leads with Geodude and i lead with Peeko. Water Gun activates her sturdy, and her follow-up Rock Tomb leaves me with a sliver. Fortunately, she wastes her potion here and i KO the geodude with a second water gun. Next is Nosepass, for which i switch to Ziggy. I get 3 sand-attacks in, then i switch to Boet. Boet survives a critical hit tackle, then gets one growl in before it goes down to Rock Tomb. I send out Blargh, whose confusion does pitiful damage as Nosepass keeps missing rock tomb. Blargh ends up tanking 2 hits but then takes it down. Not the most honourable strategy, but it got me the victory.

When i step outside the gym, i see the scientist from before chase after someone to retrieve stolen goods.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Benekiptus (Torchic) lv 13
Blargh (Dustox) lv 13
Ziggy (Zigzagoon) lv 13
Peeko (Wingull) lv 14
Konaan (Whismur) lv 8
Zappa (Zigzagoon) lv 6

if you're wondering why i left my spare Wingull in the box, that was so that i'd have something left to rebuild my team should i lose the battle. which was a very real possibility.

I give chase and head for route 116. at the entrance of the route, the scientist informs me that a magma grunt has stolen goods from Devon Corporation, so i head onto the route. I get a bit sidetracked by a new area i can access now that i can use Cut, but after that detour, i get to Rusturf Tunnel. Outside, an old man tells me that the Magma Grunt stole his pokemon, which is coincidentally also named Peeko, the same as my wingull. Anyway, i head in, knowing the grunt is trapped since this is a dead end. I confront him and wipe the floor with him, forcing him to give back Peeko and the devon goods. The old man thanks me for the daring rescue and asks me to come visit him sometime in his house south of Petalburg Woods.

Anyway, i head back to town to give the goods back to the scientist, who gives me a Great Ball as thanks. He then takes me to go see his boss, Mr. Stone. Mr. Stone thanks me for helping the devon corporation on two separate occasions, and upgrades my pokenav with a news feature. he then asks me to deliver a letter to his son Steven in Dewford Town, across the sea. When i exit the building, Brendan spots me and tells me about how many pokemon he's caught, and informs me that the old man living on route 104 is back in his cabin. I head there and visit the guy and his pet Wingull. When i inform him of my mission to Dewford, he offers to take me there on his boat.

After a leisurely cruise, we arrive in Dewford Town. I ask around a bit, and discover that Steven is in Granite Cave to the northwest. I head there and catch a Makuhita, which i name Sumo. i think Sumo will be taking a place on my team instead of Zappa. The path to Steven is blocked though, so i decide to first train up for the local gym. When i deem my team strong enough, i head over to the gym and challenge it. This is a fighting gym, so Ziggy will be sitting this one out. Instead, i'm taking Zappa back on my team, as death fodder. The puzzle here consists of stepping on switches to temporarily illuminate the room ahead, and then stumbling through in the dark.

I eventually make my way through to the Gym Leader Brawly, and challenge him to a battle. He leads with Machop and i lead with Benekiptus. I land a peck but then i'm forced to switch to Blargh. Blargh takes several leers but manages to take the Machop down. Brawly's other pokemon is Makuhita, so i switch to Peeko. Two wing attacks and this guy is also down. victory is mine.

I head back to Granite Cave, where the road is no longer blocked. In the back room, i find Steven examining an ancient mural. It apparently depicts an ancient pokemon of great power, that is connected to something called Mega Evolution. eh, probably unimportant. I hand Steven the letter. it cotains a TM that steven apparently has no use for, so he gives it to me. nice, free stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Benekiptus (Torchic) lv 14
Blargh (Dustox) lv 15
Peeko (Wingull) lv 15
Sumo (Makuhita) lv 15
Ziggy (Zigzagoon) lv 14
Konaan (Whismur) lv 8

After all of this, i speak with the old ma again so that he can take me to Nagasaki - sorry, "Slateport City" - where i am to deliver the Devon Goods to Captain Stern. sorry if i forgot to mention this assignment. For some reason, he doesn't take me to the city itself, but rather to the beach south of the city, so i have to make my way north. In the beach house, Benekiptus suddenly evolves into Combusken, which is very good. a fire/fighting type is defs an asset to my team. Anyway, i eventually make it to Nagasaki and head to Captain Stern's lodge, but the captain doesn't appear to be here. So i just decide to head to the route to the north, where i catch Hongi the Gulpin. I think Hongi will be my 6th team member. Unfortunately, while training, something bad happened. I failed to run from a Voltorb's rollout several turns in a row, leading to the death of Ziggy. This hurt. Ziggy's sand attacks are what made victory against Roxanne at all possible. rest in peace, my friend.

Replacing Ziggy on my team is Zappa the other Zigzagoon. Training it up to where it's useful will be quite some work, especially since i'm changing my training grounds following this incident. Eventually though, i get both Zappa and Hongi up to a decent level, and i resume my search for the captain. I head to the oceanic museum, which seems overrun by magma grunts. On the second floor, i find the captain and give him the parts. However, two Magma grunts then show up and try to take the parts. I dispose of both of them, and their leader shows up, a fella named Maxie. He scolds his grunts for failing to take the parts, and then introduces himself to me. Team Magma apparently wishes to expand the world's landmass or somethimg. guy's giving me Chairman Rose vibes. plans like that can only go wrong. anyway, he threatens me and then leaves. the day is saved.

With all that out of the way, i head for the route to the north, but get sidetracked by a commotion. some celebrity is talking about contests, which doesn't interest me all that much tbh. However, she picks me from the crowd when "scouting" for new contest participants. i don't want to cause a fuss on TV, so i just play along. I enter a coolness contest with Benekiptus and win. afterwards, this celebrity person congratulates me on my victory and a pokemon breeder rewards me with a Pikachu in a fancy costume, which i nickname Nanachan. can i go now?

I think i'll call it a day for now
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Zappa (Zigzagoon) lv 15
Blargh (Dustox) lv 16
Sumo (Makuhita) lv 16
Benekiptus (Combusken) lv 16
Peeko (Wingull) lv 17
Hongi (Gulpin) lv 16

turns out you can't nickname the pikachu the moment you get it; i had to take it to the name rater.

Nanachan will be replacing Blargh in my team. Sorry Blargh, you did a lot better than i expected you to, but i need more type diversity and you're the only one with no growth potential. so i'm replacing you with a pikachu dressed like a maid. Anyway, i head north out of tuwn and onto route 110. There, i overhear that a bunch of Magma Grunts are heading for Mt. Chimney, but that's quite far from here so i'm not chasing right now. I make a detour into route 103 but discover that it is a dead end. I head back to route 110 and come across a lone house, which is apparently home to the trick master. i take his challenge, which sees me navigating through a maze of cuttable trees. Eventually i get through and the trick master gives me TM12. The trick master immediately sets up a new challenge. However, this one requires Rock Smash to get through, which i cannot use yet, so i'll have to come back later.

I proceed through the route and run into Brendan, who is studying the pokemon here for his dad. He challenges me to a battle and sends out his Shroomish. i lead with Benekiptus, who takes it out in a few hits after getting paralyzed with Stun Spore. Next is Marshtomp, so i send out Sumo. Marshtomp uses bide while i paralyze it with Force Palm. Since i'm not gonna take him out before bide ends and i don't wanna lose Sumo, i switch to Zappa. Zappa takes serious damage from the bide and deals pitiful damage with headbutt. I get decent luck with flinches and bring him down to a sliver, but then Zappa goes down to a mud shot. You weren't with us for long, but you will be missed. Rest in peace. Peeko then comes in to finish the Marshtomp. Last is Slugma, so Peeko stays in and two-shots as it goes for Harden. i won, but at a great cost. Brendan gives me the itemfinder for winning, which really doesn't measure up to the loss he caused me.

Blargh is back on the team for now. A short training session later and it's back up to speed. I proceed through the route and get to Mauville City, which is more a shopping mall than a city. Here, i spot Wally, who's visiting the city with his uncle. Wally runs over to the gym before i can say hi, saying he's gonna challenge it. I head over there and witness Wally's uncle telling him he's not strong enough. Wally then spots me and challenges me to a battle to show how strong he's become. This may just be the toughest battle in my career, you guys. Wally leads off with his incredibly strong Ralts; Peeko pales in comparison. Ralts throws up a powerful, unbreakable Safeguard that completely protects him from all status ailments, but i manage to outsmart him and throw 2 water pulses his way. i manage to grab the victory with only 6 of my pokemon remaining at full health. that was close. Wally tells me that he'll return to Verdanturf town to become even stronger than he already is, if that's even possible. His uncle gives me HM06 Rock Smash for this victory, which i immediately teach to Hongi. I can't use it until i beat the gym though.

Rather than tackling the gym immediately, i head west to route 117, where i catch Hanami the Roselia. At the end, i find myself in Verdanturf Town. I go to visit Wally, but he's not home. I then go explore this side of Rusturf Tunnel, only to be reminded that without Rock Smash, this is still a dead end.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Benekiptus (Combusken) lv 19
Blargh (Dustox) lv 19
Sumo (Makuhita) lv 20
Nanachan (Cosplay Pikachu) lv 21
Peeko (Wingull) lv 20
Hongi (Gulpin) lv 20

I head back to Mauville and decide to explore to the east, but it's a dead end without Surf. So i head back to mauville and wander around town a bit when i encounter a bike shop. i still prefer to walk, but i'll check it out anyway. The shop owner randomly decides to gove me a bike, letting me choose between the faster Mach Bike and the more agile Acro Bike. I pick the Mach Bike. I don't really like bikes much, but i guess i'll use it to enjoy the view from the Cycling Road on route 110. From up here, you get a gorgeous view of the river that flows through the area, as well as the grasslands below. There's also a bunch of trainers to test my mettle against.

When i'm done with the cycling road, i go explore to the north. this route is also blocked to those unable to use rock smash, but the section i can access contains the home of the Winstrate family, who are apparently powerful battlers. I wiped the floor with them and they gave me a macho brace as a reward. honestly not sure if this is ever gonna be useful, but whatever. i think it's finally time to head back to town and challenge the gym.

This is an electric gym, so Peeko is sitting this one out. Instead, i'll be taking Konaan the Whismur, as death fodder. The gym's challenge comes down to using switches to activate and deactivate electric barriers and progress through the gym. somewhat like Lt. Surge's gym in Kanto, except without the garbage. Eventually, i make my way to Wattson and challenge him. He leads with Magnemite and i lead with Sumo. He immediately volt switches out to Voltorb, robbing Sumo of half its HP. I switch to Nanachan while he goes for Charge, and i take him out with Icicle Crash. Voltorb comes back out, so i switch to Benekiptus, who takes it out with a double kick. Last is Magneton. I land a double kick, which doesn't kill and wattson heals his mon as i go for flame charge. Another flame charge and he's down. the third badge is mine.

Now that i can use Rock Smash, i decide to go help out the folks at Rusturf Tunnel complete the project, and they give me an Aggronite as a reward. No idea what this is, but i'm sure it'll be useful at some point. i'm just glad i could help. Anyway, i decide to go explore the area north of Mauville, but just as i'm about to step onto route 111, i overhear some magma grunts talk about their plans on Mt. Chimney. i suppose i have to do something about that. I head north in pursuit, but i lose sight of them. I try to head through the desert, but the sandstorm is too harsh so i go down route 112 instead. There, Brendan is waiting for me, , and we enjoy the view of Mt. Chimney together. He then heals my pokemon and gives me HM04 Strength and goes off to do other stuff. I immediately teach strength to Sumo, even though i can't use it outside of battle until i get yet another badge. I also catch a Numel while i'm here and name it Fuji.

I'm sorry Blargh, but you're out again. Fuji simply adds more to the team. I'll just train him up now. As i'm travelling between the Mauville pokemon center and my training ground on route 112, I encounter a Geodude in one of the rock smash rocks and catch it, naming it Teiwa.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Fuji (Numel) lv 21
Nanachan (Cosplay Pikachu) lv 22
Peeko (Wingull) lv 24
Benekiptus (Combusken) lv 23
Sumo (Makuhita) lv 23
Hongi (Gulpin) lv 22

not happy about the geodude. if i had remembered there were pokemon in those rocks, i'd have chosen a different training ground. now i can't catch anything in the desert later.

also, didn't you used to get HM04 by finishing Rusturf Tunnel? if i had known i'd only get a useless mega stone, i probs wouldn't have bothered

i head on on the way to Mt. Chimney. Unfortunately, the cable car up the mountain is blocked by magma grunts, so i can't get there yet. Instead, i'll just head down the Fiery Path, where i catch Kojirou the Koffing. This path leads to the northern part of route 111, north of the desert. along the way, i encountered a guy who just kept blabbering on about secret bases. thx for the TM, but stop blabbering about this nonsense please? i have things to do. i'm not gonna live in a treehome.

when he finally lets me leave, i head along the route and encounter a house with an old woman who insists that i keep on resting. i rest for a bit, but then i insist on going on. not long after, Sumo evolves into Hariyama. nice, i needed a fighting fatzo on my team. anyway, i head on to route 113, where Brendan awaits me. He heals my pokemon and then talks for a bit about the scientist who lives in the town up ahead, who studies meteors. I head on through the route, which is truly a marvelous sight by the way. the ash from Mt. Chimney comes down here and covers everything, leaving a beautiful ash-landscape. In the ashy grass here, i catch a Sandshrew, which i name No Ice.

Then something horrible happens. Hongi gets trapped by a trainer's trapinch. No amount of healing items can save him. i've lost another dear friend. Peeko then comes in and destroys the bastard Trapinch. As sort of a karmic reward, Peeko evolves into Pelipper the battle after this. Good job, my friend.

I eventually reach Lavaridge, where i go to the pokemon center to heal and replace Hongi on my team. However, someone is standing in front of the PC. blocking my access. i approach her and we have a chat. Her name is Lanette and she's the one who designed the pokemon storage system here in Kyushu, akin to Bill in Kanto and Celio in the Sevii Isles. She invites me to her home on route 114, so i guess i'll go there at some point. right now though, i'm training up Kojirou the Koffing to be a part of my team.

After some training, i decide to call it a day for now.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Kojirou (Koffing) lv 23
Nanachan (Cosplay Pikachu) lv 25
Peeko (Pelipper) lv 25
Benekiptus (Combusken) lv 24
Sumo (Hariyama) lv 24
Fuji (Numel) lv 25

deaths like Hongi's are definitely the ones that hit the hardest. that awful feeling of knowing what's gonna happen, yet not being able to do anything about it. it sucks.

Last edited:
when i try to head west of the pokemon center in Fallarbor, Brendan approaches me and takes me to thw house of the meteor-researching professor, who is missing. His wife tells me that he was kidnapped by Team Magma, who are holding him in Meteor Falls. I guess it's up to me and Brendan to go save him. I head onto route 114 and catch Zangief the Zangoose. While i'm in the area, i might as well visit Lanette; see if she needs me to collect any gemstones to connect Kyushu's PC storage system with Kanto. nope. anyway, i guess i'll be on my way to go face team magma. along the way, i remember that i need a new rock smash user now that Hongi is gone, so i teach the move to Fuji.

The craters on this route are truly a sight to behold. you can truly see that this place has a long history of being struck from outer space. sights like this are the reason i took to travelling; they're what makes the hassle of being a trainer worth it. Anyway, i finally catch up with Brendan and team Magma in Meteor Falls, a beautiful cave whose existence i can't quite explain; how can meteors land in a cave? Either way, i catch a Zubat here and name it Bruce. After that, Brendan and i confront the Magma Admin who's keeping the professor hostage and his henchman, and we enter a double battle. I lead with Sumo, Brendan sends out Shroomish and the enemies lead with Koffing and Mightyena. Koffing blows itself up immediately, and my vital throw then OHKOs the Mightyena. They've got only a Numel left, which kills Shroomish as i hit myself in confusion from Mightyena's swagger. Brendan sends out Swampert, which brings numel ito the red with mud shot while i switch to Peeko. one water pulse and we're done. After the battle, the magma admin talks about how their boss is going to use the meteorite the professor has to gain energy in mt. chimney or something.

Then three weirdoes dressed as pirates show up. These fellas are apparently called Team Aqua, and they're the enemies of Team Magma. Team Magma realise they're outnumbered, so they steal the meteorite from the professor and head off to mt. chimney. The Aqua leader introduces himself as Archie, and says he'll stop team Magma so i don't have to worry. This guy gives off the same vibes as Maxie tbh; i don't fully trust him. still, i'm glad to have an ally against these ecoterrorists. Brendan then takes me back to Fallarbor and offers to travel back to Mauville with me, but i don't want to go to Mauville yet. in fact, i don't want to be in Fallarbor either. I head back to Meteor Falls to explore it further for items and trainers. On the other side, i find myself on route 115. I leap down a few ledges and find myself back in Rustboro City.

At this point, i remember my old friend the Trick Master. I have Rock Smash now, so i should be able to get past his second puzzle. So i head through Rusturf Tunnel and several routes to get there. The puzzle is essentially the same as his last one, except with rock smash rocks instead of cuttable trees. Immediately after i'm done and i've collected my reward, the trick master has a new room set up. this time, i have to navigate a maze in almost complete darkness. That's ok; i have pretty good eyesight. I stumble my way through and collect the reward, and the trick master immediately sets up yet another room full of tricks, but this room requires the use of Strength which i cannot use yet, so i'll come back later.

I know Archie and his men are probably handling the Magma situation on mt. Chimney just fine, but i can't help but be curious, so i decide to take the cable car up there and find team magma and team aqua still fighting. Archie seems to be getting ganged up on by three team magma grunts and thus can't proceed, so i'll just step up and thwart the threat. Before i can reach Maxie, i'm stopped by the admin from before, a fella named Homura. He sends out Koffing and i lead with Benekiptus. He blows up on me, but i survive with a sliver. Next is Numel, so i switch for Peeko, who one-shots it and earns me the victory.

Now it's time to confront Maxie. He's using some weird device to draw energy from the volcano using the meteorite. He blabbers a bit about how he wants to expand the land for the benefit of humanity and how he needs the legendary pokemon for that. Are we sure this isn't chairman rose in disguise? anyway, he leads with Mightyena and i lead with Sumo, who OHKOs the thing. Next is Golbat, so i switch to Nanachan. two electro balls and he's down. Last is his Camerupt, so i send out Peeko and OHKO it with water pulse. easy peasy. When we're done, Maxie talks a bit about how he'll use the power of mega evolution (whatever that is) to achieve his goals, then he gets a phone call and leaves, giving me the meteorite. Archie then comes up to me and congratulates me on my victory.

The view from atop this volcano is quite amazing, so i'll just hang around here for a bit and call it a day for now.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Sumo (Hariyama) lv 27
Fuji (Numel) lv 26
Peeko (Pelipper) lv 27
Nanachan (Cosplay Pikachu) lv 26
Benekiptus (Combusken) lv 26
Kojirou (Koffing) lv 26

After enjoying the scenery for some time, i decide to head down the Jagged Pass, where i catch Krieg the Machop. I proceed down this steep slope and make my way to Lavaridge Town. This place has hot springs! the gym challenge can wait; i'll first spend some time enjoying a bath in the hot water and letting all my troubles just flow away. this is the life. is there anything better and more relaxing than this?

After relaxing in the springs for a long time, i reluctantly decide that i should get on with doing important things. just as i leave the springs, one of the people i speak to gives me a pokemon egg. What will this hatch into? i get so excited by the prospect that i hop on my bike and start hyperactively cycling all across Hoenn. During this cycling trip, the egg hatches into a Wynaut, and i name it Sou. I then head back to Lavaridge and challenge the gym. This is a fire gym, so none of my team members will have to stay behind.

The gym's puzzle consists of trap doors and geysers that are used to navigate between two floors. It takes me a while, but i eventually make my way to the gym leader Flannery. She leads with Slugma and i lead with Fuji. One earth power and he's down. next up is Flannery's Numel, so i switch to Peeko. Last is her Torkoal, so i keep Peeko in and 2HKO it as it goes for Sunny Day. i've had harder fights. when i leave the gym, Brendan comes up to me and gives me the Go-Goggles, which can be used to explore the desert on route 111 without being hindered by the sandstorm. He then offers to take me to Petalburg City to challenge my dad for the fifth badge, but i want to explore the desert first.

So i go do just that. Unfortunately, i can't seem to find any pokemon here i want to catch. However, i do find two LDP politicians. wait no, these are fossils. eh, two words for the same thing. I take the Claw Fossil, and the Root Fossil sinks into the ground. After i'm done here, i head over to my old friend the Trick Master, since i can use strength now to clear his puzzle. I solve it and the trick master has a new puzzle ready immediately. This time, i have to answer trivia questions. after a million tries, i get through, and there's immediately another challenge waiting. This time, i have to navigate a floor sliding puzzle akin to those found in Kanto's Team Rocket hideouts. After i figure this one out, the trick master tells me that this is the end; there's no more tricks.

I think i'll call it a day for now. i'll challenge my dad later.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Fuji (Numel) lv 27
Benekiptus (Combusken) lv 27
Kojirou (Koffing) lv 28
Peeko (Pelipper) lv 30
Sumo (Hariyama) lv 28
Nanachan (Cosplay Pikachu) lv 28

i should probably clarify that "not intentionally skipping trainers" doesn't mean i have to go through the jagged pass a million times to make sure i got every last one. same applies to route 123 and the routes west of Pacifidlog.

Last edited:
I implement a short training session, and then it's time to go challenge my dad. On my way to Petalburg, i pass through Rustboro, and i decide to show my new fossil to the folks at Devon. One of them manages to revive it into an Anorith, which i name Anne. Anyway, i head on to Petalburg and challenge the gym. This is a normal-type gym, so everyone will be coming along. I'm not too worried about this one, since i know my dad likes to use Slaking and Peeko knows protect.

I honestly don't really understand the gym puzzle. there's always one trainer in a room and a few doors that open up once you beat them, but i just ended up beating every single trainer here. Eventually, i make it through to dad. He congratulates me on getting this far, then gets ready for the battle. He leads with Slaking and i lead with Peeko. My protect strats go off without a hitch; i take him down without taking a single hit. Next is Vigoroth, so i switch to Sumo. I use fake out on turn 1, then i take him out with a Vital Throw. Last is his second Slaking, so i switch back to Peeko. things again go swimmingly. Dad should really diversify his team; it's not good for a gym leader to be completely walled by strats like this. anyway, i've proven myself stronger than my father, an important milestone on my journey. He hands me the basic badge and wishes me luck with the rest of my league challenge.

We then head outside, where we see Wally and his dad. the dad thanks me for helping Wally get as strong as he is now, and gives me HM03 Surf as a reward. Wally and i then travel to Mauville City together. anyway, i teach Surf to Peeko so that i can now traverse the water. I surf across the river on route 118 and speak to a fisherman there, who gives me the good rod. I try it out and fish up a Magikarp, which i name Sashimi. Before i go on, i decide to explore a few other water areas, namely the seas surrounding Dewford. On my way there, i run into a place called New Mauville while exploring. the door's closed, but i manage to catch a Voltorb in front of it, which i name Kaboom. In Nagasaki - sorry, "Slateport City" - i catch another magikarp, which i name Meh. On route 134, i catch a Tentacool, which i name Squidward.

On route 109, i catch Octo the Tentacool. However, on this route, something horrible happens. In a double battle against a Dustox and Beautifly, they team up on Nanachan and kill her in one turn. Rest in peace, girl. you did your part. The now empty slot on my team will be filled by Kaboom the Voltorb, but before i train him up, i'll take some time to process Nanachan's death.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Kaboom (Voltorb) lv 22
Kojirou (Koffing) lv 29
Benekiptus (Combusken) lv 31
Sumo (Hariyama) lv 30
Peeko (Pelipper) lv 31
Fuji (Numel) lv 30

i hate double battles

After training Kaboom up to a decent level, i proceed with exploring the seas. On route 115, i find a hidden patch of land, where i catch Kumohane the Swablu. After i'm done here, i head south to Petalburg, where i fish up a Goldeen and name it Silv. I go south to route 105, where i fish up Flounder the Magikarp. While i'm exploring this route, Kaboom also evolves into Electrode. On route 106, i fish up AEUH the Tentacool. Eventually, i reach Dewford this way, where i fish up Nemo the Magikarp.

I proceed east to route 107, where i catch Nogeen the Tentacool. On route 108, i catch yet another tentacool, which i name Okutairu. I run into an abandoned ship here called the Sea Mauville. I catch a Tentacool outside and name it Abcde, then i head inside to explore further. There are defs a lot more people here than one would expect on a shipwreck. I explore every part of the ship that's not submerged in water, which doesn't yield all that much treasure to be honest. still though, exploring a shipwreck is very cool. Anyway, after i'm done there, i surf along routes 108 and 109 to Nagasaki.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Kojirou (Koffing) lv 32
Sumo (Hariyama) lv 33
Benekiptus (Combusken) lv 33
Peeko (Pelipper) lv 33
Kaboom (Electrode) lv 34
Fuji (Numel) lv 32

fishing in Petalburg was dumb. should have surfed and gotten a Marill/Azumarill. way better pokemon.

Last edited:
I now head up to Mauville and then east through route 118. There, i run into Steven, the guy i delivered a letter to way back when. We talk for a bit about how important it is to raise pokemon of various types, when we're approached by a flying red pokemon. Steven identifies it as the legendary pokemon Latias. It asks for our help, so we ride it to a far-off island. Steven tells me that this island is home to two pokemon that can mega evolve. still don't know what that is though. As i head further through the island, i hear a voice. i pursue, and find a blue pokemon that looks a lot like Latias. This one's called Latios, apparently. we're then confronted by two team magma goons who want to steal latios's mega stone; Latias apparently called us to help in order to deal with these guys. Thus Steven and i enter a battle with Magma Admin Kagari and her grunt.

The enemies send out their Koffing and Camerupt, Steven leads with Metang and i lead with Fuji. I immediately switch to Sumo while Metang kills the Koffing. I fake out the camerupt and then switch to Peeko as Steven finishes off the Camerupt. Those were their only mons, so victory is ours. Team Magma then fucks off and Steven heals my pokemon. As thanks, Latios expresses a desire to join my team. Steven then gives me a Mega Bracelet, which i can apparently use to mega evolve the Latios. We then ride Latias back to route 118. However, i then take a look at my new Latios and realise it's ugly, so i release it immediately. I keep the shiny bracelet though; it looks good on me. anyway, time to proceed onward to the next town.

Along the way, Fuji evolves into Camerupt, so i guess i can pass for a team magma admin now. Anyway, route 123 turned out to be a dead end, though i did plunder the huge-ass berry farm here. That leaves route 119, a route that gives the term "tall grass" new meaning. seriously, this grass is sot all it's hard to even see where you're going. It's also rainy here; i wish i brought an umbrella. Anyway, i catch a Gloom on this route and name it Smelly. Later on the route, Kojirou grows another head; i think i'm going to call it a "Weezing" now. I then stumble upon the weather institute, which has been overrun by Magma grunts. I guess it's once again up to me to stop the ecoterrorists. On the top floor, i see Magma Admin Homura harassing some scientists, though what he's learning here seems to be shaking his faith in Maxie's plans. I confront him and he sends out his Camerupt. I send out Peeko and one-shot him with Surf. After i beat him, he expresses that Maxie's plans could well turn out disastrous, then he leaves, saying that the magma leader is planning something at mt. pyre.

The researchers tell me that team magma had been inquiring about the legendary pokemon Groudon, who in ages past caused intense sun and thus created the land. They wish to power this being up and create way more land at the cost of the ocean. The process of getting making groudon go primal is apparently similar to mega evolution, which i guess i can use now. This plan sounds truly disastrous for the ecosystem; they must be stopped. The scientists then give me a Castform as a reward for saving them, which i name H2Olga.

I head on through route 119 and run into Brendan, who challenges me to a battle in the rain. He leads with Shroomish and i lead with Benekiptus. I get poisoned, but a few double kicks takes out the Shroomish. Next is Marshtomp, so i switch to Peeko and take it out with two rain-boosted Surfs. Last is Slugma, so Peeko stays in and kills it. Brendan gives me HM02 Fly for winning, which i immediately teach to Peeko, though i can't use it outside battle until i have the next badge.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Benekiptus (Combusken) lv 35
Sumo (Hariyama) lv 35
Peeko (Pelipper) lv 36
Kojirou (Weezing) lv 35
Fuji (Camerupt) lv 35
Kaboom (Electrode) lv 35

After sheltering in the weather institute for a bit, i find that the rain has cleared up. Anyway, it's only a short walk from here to Fortree, so i head there. The people here actually live in treehouses built atop the rainforest to be more at one with nature. this is honestly pretty awesome. A sight to see. However, as i approach the gym, something invisible blocks my way, so i head in the direction of route 120 instead. As i leave town, i spot Steven, who is heading in the same general direction as i am. Anyway, i head onto route 120 and catch Susan the Gloom in the incredibly tall grass. Also, while on this route, Benekiptus evolves into its final stage, the mighty Blaziken.

I run into Steven again a bit further down the route. He calls my attention to another invisible roadblock like the one in Fortree. He has a tool to make them visible. The barricade is apparently a pokemon called Kecleon. The kecleon here gets startled and attacks me, but i dispatch it easily. Steven then gives me the device used to make the pokemon visible, and also a Blazikenite which i can use to mega evolve Benekiptus. He notices something strange about the meteorite in my bag, but concludes that it's probably nothing and leaves.

I then head back to Fortree to challenge the gym. I wish i could test out Benekiptus's new mega form here, but this is a flying gym, so Benekiptus and Sumo will have to sit this one out. Instead, i'll be taking Nogeen and Abcde the Tentacools, as death fodder. The gym puzzle here consists of revolving doors and using them to create passageways. Eventually, i make it through to the leader, Winona, and challenge her to a battle. I lead with Fuji and she leads with Swellow. Rock Slide one-shots her, and she sends out Pelipper. I switch to Kaboom and OHKO with Electro Ball. Next is Altaria, for which i switch to Peeko. She throws up a few cotton guards, but i'm attacking from the special side so that doesn't matter. What does matter is her tendency to roost off all damage, and the damage and paralysis she deals with Dragon Breath. This is gonna take a while. I eventually have to switch out to Kojirou, who also gets too damaged to continue battling. I sacrifice Nogeen while Winona uses a hyper potion. Fuji comes in and takes big damage from earthquake while it does next to nothing with Rock Slide; i had forgotten about the cotton guards. I sacrifice Abcde to bring Peeko back in and heal it up with a Hyper Potion. I end up having to sacrifice Peeko to get Kaboom in and fire off an electro ball, but contrary to my expectations, this does not kill and she goes for roost. I sack Fuji and get Kojirou in, who deals big damage with sludge bomb but then ends up going down. Kaboom comes back and fires off an electro ball, finally killing this blasted Altaria. Last is Skarmory, which goes down to one electro ball.

Can this really be called a victory? I got the badge, but i lost half my team. Looks like i'll have to adopt 3 new team members and train them up. I'll be going for Zangief the Zangoose, Anne the Anorith and Sashimi the Magikarp. During this training, i finally get to see what mega evolution is as Benekiptus achieves its full potential. Sashimi evolves into Gyarados during this training. Anyway, after training for a bit, i decide to call it a day for now.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Zangief (Zangoose) lv 22
Sumo (Hariyama) lv 36
Benekiptus (Blaziken) lv 37
Anne (Anorith) lv 22
Sashimi (Gyarados) lv 26
Kaboom (Electrode) lv 37

yeah, i played poorly. i did not have to sacrifice Fuji; Kojirou could have just come in on an earthquake due to levitate.

also, i did not forget about the scorched slab; i'm saving it for when i have the super rod so that i can catch something i actually care about. There's no trainers there so i'm not breaking my own rules.

Last edited:
After i'm done with my training, i head back to fortree and on to route 120, where it is raining. There are some interesting crop circle-esque patterns here, but the bad weather makes it hard to enjoy. Eventually, i make it through to route 121, another weird fence maze like that one in kanto. I catch Pop the Shuppet while i'm here.

My current team:
Anne (Anorith) lv 35
Sumo (Hariyama) lv 38
Benekiptus (Blaziken) lv 39
Zangief (Zangoose) lv 36
Sashimi (Gyarados) lv 37
Kaboom (Electrode) lv 39

not a lot to report today. considering adding my new shuppet to the team; its typing will be quite useful.

I head further east along the route and spot a few magma grunts heading to Mt. Pyre. My team is weakened from the journey here, so i don't give chase right away. Along the way, i come across the safari zone. Unlike the safari zone in Kanto, this one just lets you battle pokemon regularly. I catch Kwijl the Gloom here, then i look around a bit for items and head on my way. However, along the way, Anne gets KOed by a Manectric. Should have remembered how weak this thing is. Rest in peace friend, sorry you never got to be an Armaldo.

I get through to Lilycove City and let Pop the Shuppet onto the team. guess i'm gonna have to train this thing up now. However, things went wrong as i was training it up. I was switch training it against trainer rematches, but then one of them pursuited me. RIP friend, sorry you never got to be anything.

Before i pick a new party member, i decide to go and catch some more mons. On route 22, i fish up Koiqueen the Magikarp. I make a quick excursion into Mt. Pyre, where i catch another Shuppet and name it Boe. Finally, i head onto route 123, a route with a bunch of ledges to drop from similar to the jagged pass. Here, i catch another Gloom and name it Louis.

In case this wasn't obvious, Boe's gonna be my new teammate, so i train it up a bit. When it evolves into Banette, i decide that's enough training and i head for Mt. Pyre to deal with Team Magma. It honestly makes me kind of uncomfortable to have pokemon battles in a graveyard; it seems disrespectful towards the dead. But the ecoterrorists have to be stopped, so i progress through there anyway. I eventually reach the summit, where Team Magma are performing their shenanigans. I find a Banettite here, which will allow me to mega evolve Boe.

After fending off some grunts, i make my way to the top, where i see Maxie take a red orb of some kind. He talks about something he's going to do with the submarine being built in Nagasaki, and then leaves while his admin Kagari holds me up with a battle. She sends out her Camerupt and i send out Sashimi. I OHKO with Aqua Tail, but not quick enough to stop Maxie's escape. The old couple here then tell me to take the Blue Orb that they also keep here, to fight the influence of the red orb.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My current team:
Sashimi (Gyarados) lv 40
Zangief (Zangoose) lv 41
Kaboom (Electrode) lv 41
Sumo (Hariyama) lv 41
Benekiptus (Blaziken) lv 40
Boe (Banette) lv 39

in my last game, i lost only 3 pokemon that mattered, now i'm losing pokemon left, right and center. This game truly is a lot harder. or i just got a lot more stupid.

Back
Top Bottom