• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Walkthrough [TIPS AND TRICKS] GTS Trading - An XY Guide

RedPokemon13

Reaction score
I know a lot of Pokemon fans (if you really like the competitiveness of the game,) do GTS trading to get the desired Pokemon you want. Some of you might be asking, 'What is GTS?' Well, the GTS stands for "Global Trade Station". It works like this:

1. You put a Pokemon into the GTS

2. You leave an offer for the Pokemon you put in (Ex: For my Charizard, you need to trade me a Mewtwo)

3. You can customize this offer as much as you like (What level the Pokemon needs to be between, Gender, etc.)

4. Leave a message if you want (Ex: Pls trade, SHINY PLS, etc.)

5. You get a trade from anyone around the world, just as long as they have the Pokemon you asked for!

Sounds fun, right?

Anywho, I've learned a lot over the years, and here's a few tips on how to get people to trade with you on the GTS!

[TIP 1] : Shiny for a Reasonable Pokemon

This might sound insane, but you won't believe how many people put shinies into the GTS asking for completely doable Pokemon (For example, I traded a Skrelp for a Shiny Magnezone not knowing the Magnezone was shiny :D). These trades might be costly on your part, but they bring in trades that you want in return.

[TIP 2] : GTS Legends

This also might sound ridiculous, but it works pretty well. Trading legends for legends is a good way to get other legends that you might want / need.

[TIP 3]: 6IV Ditto Scamming

This is by far the most cruel but effective way to get the Pokemon you want and fast. This has worked super well for me, and let me explain this strategy:

Most competitive players will want a 6IV Ditto for breeding the "perfect Pokemon". This will make them a more powerful person in general. A 6IV Pokemon is very hard to come by, and a 6IV Ditto holding a Destiny Knot while Breeding is just simply ideal for getting more 6IV Pokemon. People will trade pretty much ANYTHING to get their hands on a 6IV Ditto. So by placing a 6IV Ditto into the GTS and asking for something like a Sylveon, a Rapidash, or maybe even Legendaries (I have not tried legends yet,) people WILL trade with you.

Comment down below if you think you have some more useful tips. I will add them and credit your name to them!

I haven't done much GTS trading of late, but one tip I have used is this:

- If you have a Pokemon Bank account, put any and all Pokemon you don't want to trade on it before you log in to the GTS. Then, when you're searching through existing offers, it will effectively block all requests for those Pokemon when you activate the "Pokemon I have" filter.

If you have a spare game cartridge then ask for a trade with longer odds and leave it for a while. You might not get it but you have nothing to lose. I got a Darkrai for my Bulbasaur this way. It must have been there waiting to trade for 2 months and I had forgotten I set it up.

If you have a spare game cartridge then ask for a trade with longer odds and leave it for a while. You might not get it but you have nothing to lose. I got a Darkrai for my Bulbasaur this way. It must have been there waiting to trade for 2 months and I had forgotten I set it up.

Wait, that's not possible. Things like Darkrai can't be traded via GTS, at least as of Gen VI. Was this back in an older game?

Also, I've got some advice...

- Stay sane about your requests. It's shocking how quickly a reasonable request can be snatched up by somebody browsing the place. Just put up your Pokemon, ask for something reasonable, and don't be those stupid trolls that are asking for legendaries for roadside vermin. There's already enough of those losers and the GTS does not need more of them.

- Give your Pokemon a nice rare item, if you want a legendary (if it's the kind that can be traded). Things like rare berries or BP rewards tend to catch people's attention easily.

- Note that Mythical Pokemon, aka ones that can only be obtained via events, CANNOT be traded over the GTS. If you're requesting a Darkrai or Jirachi for whatever you're flinging into the cloud, you will NOT get what you want, ever. If you're doing that on purpose to annoy everyone else... shame on you, loser...

- In your message, throw in enticing info about your offer- IV's, nature, ability, Pokerus, whatever. Oh, and while you're at it, maybe try and be honest about what you're offering. Yeah, I know scamming is cheaper, but like I've said, there are already enough scumbags on there... don't be that guy.

Last edited:
It's in Gen 6, although I haven't checked which generation the Darkrai was from. I guess it might have been hacked which is disapointing. It looks from your post I was a bit naive about asking for a Darkrai on GTS, but I still stand by my advice. It's worth leaving a trade on there if you know you will be leaving the game for a while.

I really like the idea of giving items to the pokemon you are trading. That's a great idea I hadn't thought of.

Unfortunately being able to leave a trade offer on the GTS indefinitely is part of what's wrong with the GTS in the first place, because when you have thousands of users doing this, it means thousands of Pokemon cluttering up the search results.

Here's another trick:
- It is possible to catch underlevelled Pokemon in HGSS (particularly in the Johto Safari Zone), and you can use them to facilitate GTS trading between two of your games (i.e. for evolution by trading). This won't technically stop someone from trading the Pokemon before you, but it will certainly reduce the chances because most people who see the offer will simply think "well that's impossible to have that Pokemon at that level".

You can do that without the underlevel Pokemon. Put up a Zigzagoon and ask for a Haunter. Then swap cartridges and make the trade. In the unlikely event someone makes the trade before you then that's a bonus.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom