• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Tips on Competitive Battling

Draedyn

Dragonite > Salamence
Reaction score
I'm not a very good competitive battler. I try to make a good team, but I usually come out with a lacking team of just sweepers and special sweepers. Can someone give me tips?

Probably offensive, but I want to use Dragonite...unless that was obvious:embarass:

I recommend an Azelf lead:

Azelf @ light clay
jolly
levitate
4 hp, 252 attack, 252 speed,
reflect
light screen
stealth rock
explosion

Screens give a +2 def and sp. def boost to your whole team. Set up rocks and screens and explode, giving you a free switch.

As for Dnite, DDancers are monsters:

Dragonite @ lum berry
adamant
inner focus
4 hp, 252 attack, 252 speed
Dragon dance
Outrage
Fire Punch/Extreme speed
Earthquake/Extreme Speed

My personal Dragonite set. The one on Smogon isn't powerful enough for my liking. Replace Fire punch with Espeed if you aren't scared of Skarm or Zong, or replace EQ if you don't fear Heatran.

From there you need to come up with other Pokemon. I suggest posting what you have on the complete my team thread.

Learn prediction; if you want to be competative, expect what your opponent will think. I've managed to sweep entire teams with a single Poké because they did what was obvious and I predicted it; other times, if you're facing a really good oppenent, predict what you would do, and what they would do for that- then counter that.

Did that make sense to anyone besides me?

I'm not too big on using legendaries aka Azelf. So instead, I'll use Swampert. And besides, I wouldn't want to waste time trying to get a nature-specific legendary.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Relaxed
Torrent
252 HP, 196 Def, 60 Sp.Atk

Earthquake
Ice Beam
Stealth Rock
Surf

I've seen and heard that Swampert is a good lead. Energy Ball aside, it would set up Stealth Rock and is bulky enough to land a few hits before fainting.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant
Inner Focus
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Outrage
Fire Punch

I like this type of Dragonite. Thanks.

Alakazam @ Choice Specs
Synchronize
Timid
4 HP, 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Spd
Psychic
Energy Ball
Focus Blast
Calm Mind

As Alakazam has one of the highest Sp.Atk stats, I'll utilize it. With diverse attack types, and Calm Mind, it sounds like a good special sweeper...I guess.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Solid Rock
Adamant
252 HP, 80 Atk, 176 Def
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Avalanche
Substitute

I running out of what to say. The Earthquake and Stone Edge will get STAB.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Magnet Pull
Modest
Thunderbolt
Shock Wave
Hidden Power [Fire]
Flash Cannon

Thunderbolt, Shock Wave, and Flash Cannon all get STAB and Fire-type Hidden Power w/Magnet Pull would destroy other Steel-types

Weavile @ Expert Belt
Pressure
Jolly
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
Night Slash
Ice Punch
Brick Break
Pursuit

Nothin' to add

Is it okay?

I'm not too big on using legendaries aka Azelf. So instead, I'll use Swampert. And besides, I wouldn't want to waste time trying to get a nature-specific legendary.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Relaxed
Torrent
252 HP, 196 Def, 60 Sp.Atk

Earthquake
Ice Beam
Stealth Rock
Surf

I've seen and heard that Swampert is a good lead. Energy Ball aside, it would set up Stealth Rock and is bulky enough to land a few hits before fainting.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant
Inner Focus
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Outrage
Fire Punch

I like this type of Dragonite. Thanks.

Alakazam @ Choice Specs
Synchronize
Timid
Psychic
Energy Ball
Focus Blast
Calm Mind

As Alakazam has one of the highest Sp.Atk stats, I'll utilize it. With diverse attack types, and Calm Mind, it sounds like a good special sweeper...I guess.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Solid Rock
Adamant
252 HP, 80 Atk, 176 Def
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Avalanche
Substitute

I running out of what to say. The Earthquake and Stone Edge will get STAB.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Magnet Pull
Modest
Thunderbolt
Shock Wave
Hidden Power [Fire]
Flash Cannon

Thunderbolt, Shock Wave, and Flash Cannon all get STAB and Fire-type Hidden Power w/Magnet Pull would destroy other Steel-types

Weavile @ Expert Belt
Pressure
Jolly
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
Night Slash
Ice Punch
Brick Break
Pursuit

Nothin' to add

Is it okay?
Dragonite lacks Roost which he needs if you're unable to take out SR. Fire Punch isn't needed on a DD set over EQ because anything weak to Fire Punch is most likely going to be weak to EQ and also after a DD or more is going to be destroyed by it.

Next for Alakazam never put something like Calm Mind on a set that has a Choice item. You're just going to be stuck with using Calm Mind and it's not beneficial. Use something like Trick maybe.

Next for Magnezone it makes no sense to use two moves from the same STAB. You already have Thunderbolt on him so no point in having a weak inferior move like Shock Wave. Use Explosion which is useful against Blissey and Magnezone doesn't really have a great movepool in general.

Add a Rapid Spinner. I personally love Donphan because he can double as a physical wall (Survives explosion from Gengar with max def. What?), but there are others such as Fortress who's even more of a wall and can lay spikes and toxic spikes which can be crippling to your opponent. For a more offensive approach Starmie is pretty good. Try:

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid
Natural Cure
4 hp, 252 sp. att., 252 speed
Surf
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Rapid Spin

Be warned, this Starmie lacks Recover and will go down pretty fast from repeated hits and life orb recoil. I'd personally replace Weavile with this because Weavile is lacking in powerful moves and has pretty bad defenses as well as an SR weakness.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom