• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Tips on Writing a Good Journey Fic

Legacy

Reader and Writer
Reaction score
So, I was thinking about perhaps dabbling in the 'journey fic' genre in the near future, and was just curious as to people's thoughts on the pace of a good journey fic.

Obviously, the correct answer will be "it depends on the story" and stuff like that. I know there are variables and that if handled in a good way, there is no ultimate correct answer.

But I'm just looking for some discussion and perhaps some good pointers about the pacing of a journey fic.

Should it be akin to the anime, where you separate the gym battles or whatever you are doing with "filler" episodes/chapters? Or should it be faster than the anime? Again, I know the right answer is probably a compromise between the two, but I'm looking for some tips.

Any thoughts?

Re: How Fast Should a Good Journey Fic Go?

I think Gym Battles should have at least a 3-5 chapter gap between them. Every chapter should count, fillers would just be useless, especially since you have nothing restraining you (such as prolonging series to make the next one start with the release of the new games).

The non-gym chapters should either be capture, evolution, introduction or send off of a cast member, character development, etc... Having filler chapters in a fanfic is like having a useless scene in the middle of the movie that does nothing but make the movie longer.

But the length of the chapters also play in the equation. If you have long chapters, you will probably end up with a low overall chapters number, while shorter chapters will give you a high overall chapters number, I also believe that short chapters allow for more cliffhangers, and works to divide the battle to the next chapter, while a long chapter would combine all of the battle to one chapter. (I'm getting tired of writing chapter)

Other things to consider:
Will there be a rival, how much focus is on him/her?
Same as above, but for supporting characters.
Will the Pokémon be a major part, or just out of Poké Ball, fight, Back in?

Now, this depends heavily on one thing for me:

Is the focus going to be on Gym Battles, or an overarching story?

For example, if it focuses on Gym Battles, I'd definitely go with what Kyuu suggested.

But if it was an overarching story, you have to consider chapters that advance that, as well. Also, since you mentioned in your blog this would only be based on Kanto, you might also have to have parts of your story- not chapters, most likely, but still- that you use to flesh out your region/country, and keep a balance on that.

Apparently, I follow the anime convention without even knowing it. A lot of my episodes are filler. Very interesting filler, according to some of my reviewers, but filler nonetheless.

But really, it depends on what you're trying to do with the story.

If you're trying to make it epic like you are with Pocket Monsters, try to go more slowly than most fics of this genre.

Journey fics can get very boring, very fast. Make sure the story moves along at a nice, fast pace; don't rush it, but there should be at least a few significant events in each chapter.

Journey fics can get very boring, very fast. Make sure the story moves along at a nice, fast pace; don't rush it, but there should be at least a few significant events in each chapter.

And make sure you have filler, or at least events that aren't part of the main storyline. There's only so much you can do with the actual structure of a training fic.

I think the simple answer is also what do you enjoy writing most.
If you want it to have a slow pace to focus on character development, then thats what it should have.
How ever if you think you would get bored of that, then obviously you want it to be of a quicker pace.

Well, a balance between the gym chaps and the filler chaps is the best way to go IMO.

With PLX I included a coordinator quest as well so that's way the mainest main plot had quite a few chapters dedicated to it. The several chapters inbetween gyms and contests don't need to be exactly filler, too. A comedy chap now and then is okay but you will usually have some other important plotline unrelated to the league stuff so you can expand on it as well.

As people have already said, don't include filler for the sake of filler.

Obviously for the story to be interesting, there's going to be more to it than the main character thrashing every Gym consecutively - there's going to be stuff happening in between.

You have to go with the "feel" of it more than anything. How long ago did the last Gym battle feel? You as the author know this better than anyone. Does it feel like you only just finished writing the last Gym battle? If so, probably hold off on the next one for a couple of chapters. If no, then feel free to fit one in as soon as you can.

In Rival's Story, there was one point where Blue didn't go anywhere near a Gym for almost 30 chapters since he was too busy battling Team Rocket and Red. If there's other stuff to take care of, I don't think there's a problem with the Gym quest taking a bit of a backseat and if it lends itself to the story it's not the end of the world if there are two Gym battles very close to one another.

Well, one of the problems I faced when starting Bright World, was that if I went with the traditional Gym Challenge route, it would have to be really long. The problem with that is, my main focus in my original material. I set myself a target of 12 chapters; so, as Chapter 3 probably tells you, I don't plan on ignoring the Gym Leaders, but they're not the main focus either.

I'd say that if you're aiming for the Gym Leader-League thing, you have to be ready for a huge commitment. I wouldn't be surprised if we're talking about at least 50 chapters.

Well, with Stainless Steel, I've been putting a lot more focus on Team Millennium than Steven's League Challenge, and I think that helps keep everybody interested.

Just make sure that your villain is pretty far-reaching. Even in a single-perspective story, it is important that the villain is highly developed. For example, even though you haven't even seen him yet, the leader of Team Millennium has already been set up.

Thanks for the responses guys. I have a better idea about things now. Pocket Monsters actually won't have gym battles in the sense that everyone is used to, it will be different, but yeah... just wanted to check and see people's thoughts on pace.

I also have a big storyline going on simultaneously, so my challenge will be to balance the two storylines.

You know that we'll be behind you every step of the way. Just step forward and venture out into that world!

With our help, we'll make sure that it's the most epic story that Bulbagarden can offer.

You know that we'll be behind you every step of the way. Just step forward and venture out into that world!

With our help, we'll make sure that it's the most epic story that Bulbagarden can offer.

Haha, again, the title of this thread seems a little arrogant, and I regret that. I am by no means a good enough writer to write anything that could be considered "the most epic story that Bulbagarden can offer" but it's a goal anyway.

In the process of doing this, hopefully I will improve myself as an author overall, and with the help of people like you, Zekurom, perhaps a few people might like to read it.

I am by no means a good enough writer to write anything that could be considered "the most epic story that Bulbagarden can offer" but it's a goal anyway.

Hey, you got pretty close with The Power Inside ;-)

Haha well I appreciate you guys bringing that up, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was great. There were lots of things about ASL/TPI that were lacking...namely the depth of characters and interaction between charcters.

This is something I hope to work on thru this new project. So we shall see...

Haha well I appreciate you guys bringing that up, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was great.

Well I'm sure it has something to do with it :p
I'll reiterate what people have said here. If someone could break this ridculous taboo that journey fics are dull (which is completely false), it would be you.
Of course, you had a few OC's in your last fics, but it will be interesting to see how you handle a fic full of them.

I'll reiterate what people have said here. If someone could break this ridculous taboo that journey fics are dull (which is completely false), it would be you.

That being said, we also have many other lovely training fics here too, like Rival's Story or Encounters: Blinto (which suspiciously hasn't been updated for at least two months now) or even Stainless Steel, but a fic written by you would have the most impact by far.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom