• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

To all those who are saying Satoshi won't catch Aipom...

Sceptile726 said:
What would Ash need an Aipom for?
Well, you guys will probably call me crazy when I say this (or just a huge fangirl in general)......

But, actually, I think if Ash catches Aipom, the writers may have this happen. :)

The most important parts are in bold.

1. It will be used in a filler episode.

2. That said filler episode could be one that I've been hoping for!! (this might just be me and my wishful thinking)

3. Reappearance by Lily + Other Required Spell Ingredients + Aipom's Tears = Reappearance by Satochu!!!!!! :-D (Seriously, I would LOVE to see him again, though I know it's probably not very likely, lol). Also, in the episode where Lily first appeared, they never found out what the last page of the spell said, so they either let that go unanswered, OR they might actually be planning to have her return and reveal what the rest of that spell said (note: this is just a little theory I have, lol).

But, with the writers doing very weird things to Ash, like having him get possesed and other stuff - well I could definitely see them having Ash get turned into a Pikachu again, because that just sounds like it would be right up their alley, if you know what I mean. Wouldn't you guys agree? ^^o

Last edited:
GreatLiver said:
It's possible, I mean Krabby came into the Indigo League not trained at all and evolved winning Satoshi a few rounds.
I'd like to think that Ash has moved on from thinking that "Beginner's Luck" is a stategy.

There is the possibility that these are two completely different Aipom, though that's unlikely. I doubt it would leave in this epsiode, though, since it would only be around for the Grand Festival. (And if May catches it then it is most likely to have the role Munchlax had in the last one.)

He could get it. I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but remember way back in old Kanto when Primeape (then Mankey) stole Ash's Pokemon League hat, and then Ash went on and caught it. It could be the same with Aipom. Writers like using plots over and over when they can't come up with anything original.

Usually Ash does capture a Pokemon when he's about to have a rematch, like with Brawly and Sabrina (sort of) and a few others.

But why the hell would May need ANYTHING when she's done with her purpose in the Kanto region? I mean, she's probably gonna do something later, but it's unlike the writers to give someone a new addition to their team after their done with their purpose and before they start their next thing.

The only hole in the Aipom theory is whether they plan to actually have it beat Regirock. Then again, Ash probably has another challenge after winning all the symbols anyway, maybe Aipom will come up there. Either that or against Brandon's other Pokes.

~Zak

On Pokeani I saw a lot of stuff about Purin and whatnot... Maybe it IS following them.

QED said:
But why the hell would May need ANYTHING when she's done with her purpose in the Kanto region? I mean, she's probably gonna do something later, but it's unlike the writers to give someone a new addition to their team after their done with their purpose and before they start their next thing

~Zak

May caught Munchlax near the end of Hoenn and it didn't even do anything in the Grand Festival. But anyway, it doesn't look like she caught it.

Hopefully it is true that nobody caught it.

In any case, the majority of times a Pokémon species is mentioned in an episode title, it is usually either a guest appearance or one of the established teams. Captures are rare, reflecting TPTB's ruling "quality over quantity" philosophy for the animé.

BenRG said:
Captures are rare, reflecting TPTB's ruling "quality over quantity" philosophy for the animé.
I've never heard of that before. Could you expand?

Quality over quantity

FabuVinny said:
I've never heard of that before. Could you expand?
It is quite simple, really. From early on, Ash and his friends have always had very small collections of Pokémon. Think about the fact that Ash actually only had five regulars on his team for most of Kanto.

These teams are usually very flexible, very determined and can often find unsuspected weaknesses to turn otherwise hopeless battles in their favour (witness Cyndaquil superheating the Sandstorm used by Jasmine's Steelix). While characters like Gary have larger teams, the animé generally portrays large collections of Pokémon as being usually inferior to small teams of well-trained Pokémon (as Ash's increasingly are).

The main characters seem to prefer to stick with their known, well-trained Pokémon rather than catch examples of every species they encounter. Think of the number of times Ash and his friends have not taken the opportunity to catch a Pokémon they encounter. They only seem interested in catching a Pokémon if it will bring something new to their collection in terms of skills or attributes. Indeed, several of Ash's Pokémon (notably Noctowl and Sceptile) actually had to challenge Ash before he was willing to try to catch them. The same thing happened with Misty and her Corsola.

Despite the "gotta catch 'em all" catchphrase, the animé, seemingly as a matter of policy, portrays small well-trained teams as an ideal.

Hence "Quality over Quantity". :thumbup:

Well....Aipom wasn't caught by anyone, but with that obsession over Satoshi's headgear (linking to the "Crown" that's mentioned for this king episode), and the focus on Aipom right as the episode ended, I wouldn't put it as unlikely that Aipom will be following them for the next little while.

Aipom will end up like Haunter, Ash will use Aipom in battle against Brandon in order to defeat him. Aipom will then return to his buddies.

Haunter stayed with Ash on the return to Saffron City, though. Aipom won't be around for the Grand Festival.

And how is Aipom supposed to defeat a Regi?

Do you think Aipom will show up during the Grand Festival? Or will it not show up again until that Aipom episode? There is a three-episode GF inbetween, so we may or may not see it for the next three episodes.

Unless Aipom becomes the new "Snorunt" if you know what I mean, it'll give Ash a Pokemon to deal with during May's quest like the last time.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom