• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

To Save Yourself

Chimchar

Reaction score
So yeah, this is a fanfic about an aspiring trainer in Sinnoh
-------------------------------------------------------------

To some, training comes naturally, while others it takes a bit more time. And for people like me it comes right in the middle. Usually people who fall in the middle have a typically normal adventure with normal pokemon, and meeting normal people. Well...I'm an exception to that rule.

King of the Concrete Jungle

I was out by myself at about 9 o’ clock at the age of 13 years old in Jubilife City. I know what were my parents thinking when they let a 13 year old boy wonder around the streets in a world full of crazy gangs that had in their hands creatures that could burn me to a crisp if they wanted to. They weren’t thinking at all.

I really don’t know why I was even out there. Jubilife is like any other city; if you have seen one then you’ve seen them all. There was the Global Trading Center, but I didn’t have any Pokemon to trade. There was the daily lottery, but I was under age. The only thing they really did have that was legal for me to participate in was the Poketch hunt.

All I had to do was find three stupid clowns and answer there questions correctly and they would give me a ticket. If you had three of those tickets, then you would be able to obtain a Poketch for free.

I really hate clowns, so this challenge was going to actually be, well, a challenge. I mean why would anyone paint a permanent smile on his or her face. It’s just wrong. But anyway after I got past the thought that these clowns were actually demons trying to steal my soul, it was rather easy.

After getting the three tickets and some creepy smiles, I headed over to Poketch Company Building to redeem my tickets. There was a lit alley on that was a shortcut to the building. I was always taught as a little kid to never go in an alley, no matter what. I thought that meant not to go in dark alleys. No, it meant don’t ever go into any sort of alley.

Well, I went into the alley. No less than a minute of me going in there, a posse of black and blue kittens crossed my path. Most people would’ve thought ‘aww, cute little kittens’, but I knew better than most people. Jubilife was infamous for its wild Shinx clans that patrolled the alleys at night looking for scraps, or an unexpecting 13-year-old boy.

That’s when the pack leader stepped up in front of them and let out a growl. It then looked towards me with a glim in his eyes, and it and the rest of the pack walked by without paying any attention to me. That is until one of the packs lunged for me sparking with electricity.

Unfortunately for the rebel, his little outburst was shutdown as quickly as it began by the pack leader himself. Now it was the leader’s turn to get knocked down. Another Shinx attacked but the leader fought him off as well and started barring his tiny fangs. But it wasn’t over, because now the Shinx that had just attacked was now evolving.

A Luxio was now staring down the pack leader. Predictably, they started fighting, and surprisingly the head Shinx still came out on top. Well that is until the other Shinx joined in the fight and started biting and clawing at the leader while he was down. The whole pack had turned on their leader just because he decided to spare me.

Then I did what was probably the stupidest thing anyone could’ve done. I jumped into the brawl to pull out the poor, little Shinx that was being ganged up on. After a few bites and claw digging into my skin, I finally emerged victorious from the fight holding the bruised and battered leader in my arms, and ran like a Tyranitar was right on my heels. The pack and their new leader, Luxio, didn’t give chase, but I didn’t stop.

I burst through the PokeCenter and handed Shinx to the Nurse Joy at the counter. “Miss I need immediate care for this Shinx.” She looked at the Shinx then at me and then rushed us both to the back room and we were placed on separate tables. After that, I really can’t tell you what happened, because I don’t even know. All I knew was that when I woke up in my hotel room with a Pokeball on my nightstand. I wasn’t really sure what was happening so I pushed button on the Pokeball and out came the Shinx.

He unfurled his body next to me and thought about leaping down off the bed. He wasn’t used to me and I wasn’t used to him. But he was badly hurt, which meant I had to take care of him. “You were betrayed by your own pack. I’m sorry. Its like you’re a modern day Caesar.” Shinx’s ears perked up to the name. “Guess I’m gonna name you Ceaser.”

This could prove to be interesting. A useless trainer with the bad luck to get mixed up with talented folks looks to be the premise? Your character's strong enough, development wise, to get quite a bit of writing fun out of the idea. Intriguing. I'll keep my eye on this.

Yeah Chapter 2 isn't that great, so I'll post it with Chapter 3
----------------------------------------
Hi Ho and Off We Go

Fast-forward three years, and not much has changed. I’ve gotten taller and puberty is over with, but that’s about it. Caesar is still a Shinx, but he is now accustomed to the life of being a housecat. I can still see the want in his eyes to get revenge on his former pack, but that wouldn’t solve anything.

Today was the day Caesar and I would go out and make our own pack. That’s right we were going to go create our own team. It would probably be the most awkward team in all of history, but hey a team is a team.

I already had it planned out. We’d be known as the Speed Demons. My team will be the fastest in the land. Oh yeah Team Speed Demons is a gogo.

My parents weren’t to enthusiastic about me going off being a trainer. My two older brothers went off to some fancy-schmancy college were they teach how to be a trainer. My parents wanted me to follow their footsteps. There was no way I was going to have them pay thousands of dollars to send me to a school to teach me what the wilderness could teach me for free.

“Are you sure you want to go training out there, rather than going to a prestigious college.” My mom was real persistent with this kind of stuff.

“Yes, I’m sure. What can they teach me in college that I can’t learn out in the good old wilderness.”

“But honey-”

“No mom. Besides Caesar wouldn’t be able to cope with college. He’s a wildcat, that doesn’t wanna be strapped down by college life.” We both looked over Caesar who was cuddled in a ball beside one of those electronic heaters. Maybe that wasn’t the best card to play, considering this Shinx now gets his meals already made in little cans.

“Caesar is a house cat now. He’s no longer a battle ready feline. How do expect to go around with a lethargic kitten.”

Caesar may have been accustomed to house life but saw that statement as a challenge. He started charging electricity on his body to show off his Spark attack that he had learned a few months ago.

“Not in the house Caesar. Mom, I know you don’t think we’re ready, but we’ve been out training behind your back.” I hadn’t realized what I said until after it was all out. Maybe that wasn’t the best card to play either.

“You’ve been WHAT?!” Yep, that definitely wasn’t the best card to play.

“By that I mean that we trained his moves on weaker Pokemon. Nothing dangerous like in caves.” Okay that was a lie. Training in caves was what we did most, not that she had to know that.

“I still don’t understand why you just won’t go to a college that will help you train better.” Here we go again with the college thing. I didn’t want to train Pokemon in a college; I wanted to train them out in the wild. Trainers and Pokemon belong in the wild, not in some stuffy college for super nerds.

“Mom. College life is not for me. I want to travel. I’ve always wanted to travel. Strapping me down to one place is not for me. I want to see new things, explore new places. I need you to understand that.” I tried putting on the most sincere face I could, it wasn’t very good but it was a sincere face nonetheless.

“Okay. You seem to have made up your mind. I’m not a big fan of training out in the wild, but you can go.” My mom had lost the battle.

“YES! I won’t let you down. Don’t worry.” I grabbed Caesar’s pokeball and we both rushed out the door only to be stopped by the word ‘but.’

“But, if one thing goes wrong out there, you come home immediately okay.” My mom actually believed that if I came across an obstacle I was going to actually come home. Ha, the thought makes me laugh.

“Yeah sure, no problem.” Caesar and I left out of the house and took a fresh breath of the Twinleaf air. We were heading out and nothing was going to stop us.

-------------------------------------------

A Rude Awakening

Caesar walked by my side until we stood at the gate separating Twinleaf town from the beast that was Route 201. Maybe I’m being a bit too dramatic. There were children that looked no older than ten frolicking around and playing with the wild Starlies and Bidoofs.

I walked into the grass cautiously, hoping not to draw to much attention from the wild Pokemon. I’ve been watching too many movies, because I half expected some wild Pokemon to just appear out of the grass and attack us. Around this are the Pokemon were a bit on the puny side. Caesar was way to powerful, even after lounging around for three years, for the wild Pokemon in this area.

There were some trainers, but they shied away from us when Caesar took down a Starly with one Tackle. The walk was rather uneventful and I expected action to be seeping out of every grass blade, but no.

How was I supposed to become the greatest trainer if everyone runs away from me? There was one kid who didn’t run away from me, but I ran away from him. He dressed in all black, and his hair covered his eyes and next to him was a pretty mean looking Jigglypuff. I might’ve actually had battled him if had a Ghost-Type or a Dark-Type, but that sudden contrast between Trainer and Pokemon was not too appealing.

Boredom. Boredom. Boredom. That is all I felt. It seemed like we had been traveling for hours, when in actuality, it had only been fifteen minutes. I had to sit down. The boredom was overtaking me. We walked over to a nice shaded spot and just lay there and looked at the sky. Caesar quickly fell asleep and was purring or snoring, or whatever cats do. I was left to endure the boredom by myself.

That’s when he came. I didn’t know it yet, but this guy was going to take away my boredom and replace it with fear and panic. He started off our horrible experience with one sentence. “You wanna battle?”

I was naïve and agreed to the battle. He didn’t look too tough. He was much younger than me. As a matter of fact he looked like a newbie. He was about ten and was a good two feet shorter than me. I felt powerful.

“Okay Caesar, lets do this.” I nudged the sleeping Shinx and he awoke from his dream, which seemed to be a pretty good one. He walked sleepily over to our makeshift battlefield and stood there waiting for his opponent.

The little boy sent out a lumpy looking rock. At first I thought he was taking the term ‘pet rock’ to a whole new level, but then I saw it open its eyes. Yes the rock-thing had eyes. Next, its arms emerged. Then I realized what I was facing. This, this thing was in fact a Geodude sent from Hell to ruin my life.

With one command, the boy had ended it all. “Geodude use Magnitude.” The rock monster slammed its fist into the ground causing it to shake, and just my luck, it was a size ten on the Richter scale. Caesar was out cold on the ground, and even I had fell. I recalled Caesar to his Pokeball and picked myself up. I brushed myself off and tried to walk off with my dignity, but he would soon take that too.

He jogged in front of me and stuck out his hand. I gave him a high five and asked, “What do you want?”

He looked at me bewildered. “Silly man, I want half of your money.” He smiled showing a couple of missing teeth. This may make me a bad person, but I really wanted to punch this kid in the face.

I didn’t give him half of my money. I didn’t even give him a quarter. It was more along the line of one-tenth that he got. I bet trainers do that all the time. I didn’t agree to his little wager, but apparently it was regulation for all battles.

What a shame I was. I could’ve kept walking to Sandgem town. Caesar would still be conscious, and I would have all of my money. No time for regrets, though, because it was getting dark. Without Caesar, even the little Starly could do some damage to me and my internal organs.

I arrived in Sandgem Town and breathed out in relief. I walked over to the Pokemon Center and healed up Caesar. The Nurse Joy was true to her name and happily handed him back to me.

“Umm, do you guys have any more rooms open?” I felt ashamed of myself. I was supposed to be in the Jubilife Pokemon Center, not the Sandgem one. I barely got two miles away from home.

“If you want a room you will need to bunk with someone.” She said in such a cheery way it was kind of creepy. She handed me a key to room four and started greeting the next trainer.

I walked down to the room and let Caesar out of his Pokeball into my arms. “Ready to meet our roommates?” I was sort of excited to see who it was, and what sort of Pokemon they had.

Before I could even put the key into the slot, the door opened. My mouth dropped and Caesar fell out of my hands onto the floor. By the way, cats don’t always land on their feet. Standing in the door way was a ten-year-old looking kid and his lumpy pet rock. Curse my luck.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom