• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Too easy

The combination of the 2 (3 with the "special Torchic" that also seems to be gaining more exp.) starters, does make the game easier, as well. They are made to be better at adventuring, after all.

Just to shed some light on this topic, Masuda actually stated in an interview that one of the goals of XY was to make the games quicker and more streamlined in order to compete with free/mobile games. Specifically:

Mr. Masuda said:
"There are a lot of free games out there, and if you get bored it's easy to just switch to something else — we really wanted to make it constantly interesting and engaging."

I'm guessing the EXP All's return was to accomplish this purpose. A lot of people nowadays just aren't up for the grinding and time that goes into RPGs. Either way, I'm glad that you're able to turn it off, so players that want the challenge they're familiar with can have it. I expect to see "No EXP share" as a rule for many fan challenges.

I have only used EXP share once, when it was first given to me. After noticing it had been swapped to share to all party members I turned it off and must say that I have found myself grinding a fair bit. I think that having it on would make the leveling easier, and from comments above it would appear that this is the case. I will probably stick to the old fashioned method of grinding but I can see how this feature would be kinda handy/nice to use. I am not past the 3rd gym yet but still feel slightly under leveled. Maybe I'll give it a try on my X play though. I must say though, I am really enjoying this game.

Just stop, I can already see the beginnings of an elitist mindset forming here. This game does not have an easy mode or a hard mode or crap like that...if you want to say it has a "sped up" mode that would be understandable as it does speed the game up. Whether or not you have difficulty playing the game is not based on your levels its based on how you play, the pokemon you choose and how well you innately know the mechanics of the game.

I'm happy I don't have to grind so much, considering that I get lots of Pokemon (all the Kalos Pokemon I can find). However, since I keep my delphox always in my party - it's a sort of habit to always keep my starter Pokemon with me - it's level 50 now while other Pokemon are 35. I seldom use her though, and she is more like a last resort.

I wish the AI was a little better, then maybe the game would be harder, but I'm actually happy that my entire party gain exp. just like in most other RPGs. I've missed this item from the first generation. I don't super train yet, however, because I don't want the game to become too easy.

Just stop, I can already see the beginnings of an elitist mindset forming here. This game does not have an easy mode or a hard mode or crap like that...if you want to say it has a "sped up" mode that would be understandable as it does speed the game up. Whether or not you have difficulty playing the game is not based on your levels its based on how you play, the pokemon you choose and how well you innately know the mechanics of the game.

Uh, the last games actually did have easy and hard modes (and the default mode which I suppose we could call normal). Hard mode made the AI better and things like that (never knew anyone with black so I couldn't get hardmode unlocked unfortunately)

Talking about how easy or difficult a game is really isn't an elitist mindset, you want that, go talk to some people at smogon, not all of them are elitist, but the few who have actually spoken to me really weren't pleasant (because I am a nub at competitive battling).

That said, I'm taking back what I said earlier, the game is in fact really easy compared to others. I just stomped my way through the elite four on my first try without any real worry that I was going to lose, and my highest level pokemon is 62. I do have mostly EV trained mons (and apparently after talking about the judgement dude all but 3 have better that average+fantastic stats so I dunno), I don't think that should have made it easy for me to just waltz through the E4 on my first try without knowing what to expect.

Granted I almost did the same thing in BW2, with lucario, but in that game it wasn't an easy romp to reach the E4.

I think it was a very enjoyable game, but I wish I had had to work harder to make it through the main game.

Just don't use Amie, Lucky Egg or Exp. Share. And if the GLs/E4 are easy, do:

A) Use just as much Pokemon as them. (Doesn't go for E4)

B) Don't use Pokemon with STABs SE on the Gym. Or ban the moves.

C) Shut the hell up and stop complaining. Your using the easy way, so just turn it off. XY is so grindy without the darn share!

It wouldn't be to easy if Mr Masuda had kept the damned Challenge Mode and allowed us veterans access from the start.
Has anyone ever had the cahoonies to ask him why he takes out good features that people like, VS Seeker, Pokemon Following behind, Challenge mode.
I'm undecided on whether it's laziness, whether it's so he can reintroduce them later and we'll all be so grateful we'll rush out and buy whatever new product he's peddling, or if it's more simpler than that and just out of pure spite, take your money, then give you a poor product that wipes your save file if you save in the main city, while he laughs his way to the Bank and gets working on his pension fund, or Pokemon Z as I believe it's known.

Inb4 : "oooooh but he put soooo much efwort into making all them nice 3D models" - couldn't be less bothered by 3D models, the novelty died fast, not as fast as the easy playthrough though.

What if a kid goes on Challenge Mode, gets stuck, and nobody around them knows the reset code? They have to think about this because kids. You know, the target audience?

Has it ever occurred to you that Walking Pokemon and 3D don't mix well? Half of them would be unable to go to most places, they make cutscenes inconvenient, and all that shtick.

The Lumiose Glitch was unintended. They're working on fixing it. Don't forget your beloved Gen I was glitchy as fudge.

It's because progress. And XY is difficult without the Exp Share or Amie, so that itself is like a challenge mode. The VS Seeker... Well, you've got me there, but the Elite 4 are already Exp Bait. What's the point? All these features take up data, so they have to focus on core gameplay and graphics before gimmicks. Even all the 718 cries, which have to be doubled then altered for fainting and stuff, and the multiplied further for Amie, all the 718 models with their frames, doubled with shinies, not counting formers.

Ooh, and maybe, you know, were too busy working on the plot? I'm guessing that you don't know that word, because Gen I lacked one.

Gen 1 had the most coherent plot of any of the stories, so much so the story is still being told today in Pokemon Origins.
Also they don't do much work on the plot, evil team trying to get the mascot legend to rule the earth/change the Earth was new in RSE, but not so much now 10 years later after having been in every main series game since.

Also you could switch between challenge mode and easy mode freely once the keys were unlocked.
Even that was hashed up, only allowing access to challenge mode after you beat the game, unless you have an AR which thankfully I did.

gen 1 and plot dont mix, sorry there

its just 'get badges beat teem rockt and beat e4"

whilst in x&y your fighting againts a criminal organisation with the keader of the project to destroy the world a psychopath

I'm finding it roughly as challenging as every other installment I've played. That is to say, some battles I can curbstomp, and others I end up throwing my 3DS across the room in a fit of rage. The faster leveling means gym leaders, the Elite Four, and the champion will be much stronger than in previous games. My mons were around level 55 post-game in Pokémon White, while in X they're in that same range before I even face the eighth gym leader. I imagine it would be much more difficult without the Exp. Share on.

It wouldn't be to easy if Mr Masuda had kept the damned Challenge Mode and allowed us veterans access from the start.
Has anyone ever had the cahoonies to ask him why he takes out good features that people like, VS Seeker, Pokemon Following behind, Challenge mode.
I'm undecided on whether it's laziness, whether it's so he can reintroduce them later and we'll all be so grateful we'll rush out and buy whatever new product he's peddling, or if it's more simpler than that and just out of pure spite, take your money, then give you a poor product that wipes your save file if you save in the main city, while he laughs his way to the Bank and gets working on his pension fund, or Pokemon Z as I believe it's known.

Inb4 : "oooooh but he put soooo much efwort into making all them nice 3D models" - couldn't be less bothered by 3D models, the novelty died fast, not as fast as the easy playthrough though.

...You can only assume the worst in people, can't you? I've yet to see you say anything positive about X and Y, and yet you still bought the game. Logic.
Technically his mom did, but doesn't matter.

Anyway, I agree leveling up got too easy. Not like I care too much. That means now I can go straight to the next town and not taking my time facing eeevery NPC I can find and eeeevery wild Pokémon that pops out.

Last edited:
Maybe they can start making the games a bit more challenging by giving those poor Gym Leaders more than 2 or 3 Pokemon? I expect a real challenge when I battle against a Gym Leader. Something is really messed up here when you have more trouble battling against an Ace Trainer than a Gym Leader.

...You can only assume the worst in people, can't you? I've yet to see you say anything positive about X and Y, and yet you still bought the game. Logic.
Technically his mom did, but doesn't matter.

Anyway, I agree leveling up got too easy. Not like I care too much. That means now I can go straight to the next town and not taking my time facing eeevery NPC I can find and eeeevery wild Pokémon that pops out.

He atleast asked for the game, so his mother knew to purchase it for him. If that assumption is correct, my point still stands. If not, there's nothing stopping him from selling or trading the game at a gaming store if he thinks so negatively of it.

I'm not sure I found it to easy necessarily but I did expect the E4 to be level 70+ at least, was kinda disappointed in that.

With the addition of EXP from captures, it does seem you can level up pretty rapidly. Add the EXP Share and the Battle Chateau to the mix and you can get pretty overleveled pretty fast.

I can't really complain about that, though. I don't have to worry about grinding away with my whole team; most of them are within a few levels of each other, which is helpful. I have a tendency to use only one or two Pokemon on my team and neglect others so having everyone gain experience is a Primus-sent gift.

It's fine that leveling is easier, they just don't adjust the difficulty to compensate.
The only challenging trainers of note were Viola (infestation was a bit of a pain) Lysandre, Wulfric (via RNG manipulation, which I'm fine with as a mechanic), Siebold, and Diantha.

Pokemon has always been a "make your own difficulty" game. It can be as challenging or as easy as one wants it to be. I remember in one thread on SPPF, someone mentioned they blazed through the game easily for Platinum. I asked about their party and they mentioned Garchomp and Infernape and Staraptor. Those are all early obtainable Pokemon in the game and they're so powerful. So yeah , it was easy because he used some of the best Pokemon the game has to offer. Use different Pokemon, particularly Pokemon you aren't familiar with. Don't heal yourself every chance you get, and set some other limits if you need it to be more difficult.

I've not been using EXP Share/All and I'm finding myself roughly on the same levels as the AI or sometimes 1-2 lower and I'm finding the difficulty just fine. My team has a lot of shared weaknesses making some parts more difficult than others (a lot of Rock weaknesses and Fighting resists, for example), but some easier than others because a lot of shared resists as well.

Just don't use Amie, Lucky Egg or Exp. Share. And if the GLs/E4 are easy, do:

A) Use just as much Pokemon as them. (Doesn't go for E4)

B) Don't use Pokemon with STABs SE on the Gym. Or ban the moves.

C) Shut the hell up and stop complaining. Your using the easy way, so just turn it off. XY is so grindy without the darn share!

The thing is that's imposing a challenge on yourself, that doesn't change the difficulty of the game, you're just making it harder for yourself. Truthfully, I did keep the Exp Share off once I caught on to how game-breaking it is excluding times where I needed to catch up and I still didn't have too much trouble.

Difficulty-wise, yeah I would say that these games are the easiest in the series if not among them because of what they do give you, even ignoring them doesn't completely erase that. Having said that, it doesn't make the game less fun for me, I still enjoyed it from beginning to end, it's just a notable flaw for those who want more of a challenge.

I'm currently only right before Clemont's Gym, but as of now, I find the games much harder than Black and White or Black 2 and White 2.

I don't normally use the EXP. Share unless I'm trying to train something. So I'm not really over-leveled.

Maybe I just suck, but almost losing to NPCs (or their Hawluchas) and even losing to Gym Leaders (or their Hawluchas) hasn't truly happened to me since Sinnoh, so I wouldn't call it too easy. Even the Flare Grunts fights can last a few extra turns. I've never had to keep up on my Super Potions like this.

But, then again, my team could also just suck.

Lysandre was pretty hard imo. The steel-type E4 member and the fairy gym were pretty hard for me too. I understand why it seems easy, but i like it this way, you spend less time grinding and more time getting through the game.

I can see where people are saying it's too easy with Exp Share on. I have it off and Im not 1HKOing all the gym leaders or anything. I'll admit some of my Pokemon are struggling even though I dunno if that has to do with my opponents or the Pokemon I chose. Im not really finding it too easy for this reason.

I use the exp share and battle chatteu to get high-level Pokemon, not because I want the game to be easier, but just that I like to train and see my monsters grow. I mean, I want them to be lv.100 in the end, and training would get boring if it was too slow.

It seems that the AI is bad and the enemies make a lot of mistakes. Does anyone else exprience this?

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom