• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Top 10 Brazilian Favourite Pokémons

FelipePR

Reaction score
I didn't want to create a topic for this post, but voilà, after more than an hour, I couldn't find a place for this post. So let's get to it.

------------------------------------------------------

Some time ago, a great Pokémon youtuber from Brazil promoted a poll to find out what his followers' favourite Pokémon are.

The poll, which ran throughout the month of January, contained all Pokémon up to the ninth generation, including variations of the same Pokémon (regional forms, rotom forms, etc...) and it was possible to choose up to 5 options. The number of poll participants was 18,441, and the total number of votes was 87,968 (not all voters chose 5 options).

You can see the result below:

10 - Gardevoir (1,219 votes)
9 - Rayquaza // Dragonite (1,225 votes)
8 - Eevee (1,269 votes)
7 - Bulbasaur (1,559 votes)
6 - Greninja (1,589 votes)
5 - Pikachu (1,599 votes)
4 - Mewtwo (1,696 votes)
3 - Gengar (2,168 votes)
2 - Lucario (2,291 votes)
1 - Charizard (3,684 votes)

I certainly had some surprises with the list, I did not expect a certain Pokémon in ninth place, as well as I did not believe in an expressive margin of leadership of the first place. However, I confess that I was already waiting for many of the Pokémon that are in the top 10, because I know they are popular in Brazil.

What surprised me the most, although I should have expected it, was that 7 of the 11 first placed are Pokémon of the first generation. I didn't know we are so genwunner. But it even makes sense, because after the peak of Pokémon in 1999/2000, the franchise never had the same influence and brand awareness in Brazil.

And then, what do you think of the general preferences of the Brazilian people? Any similarity with yours?

Last edited:
Very interesting poll. Dragonite seems to be popular in Latin America overall as it also ranked high on Centro Pokemon's lists.

Nice to see Bulbasaur there, I've seen it called "the forgotten Kanto starter" more than once but that's definitely not the case. Has it had some memes attached to it recently or what?

The generational gap is very evident, that could explain Mimikyu's absense...or maybe its popularity is fading out?

Very interesting poll. Dragonite seems to be popular in Latin America overall as it also ranked high on Centro Pokemon's lists.

Well, Dragonite was the first pseudo-legendary and has always been credited, on OS, with an extremely rare and mysterious Pokémon. In fact, in the first games it wasn't exactly easy to get it.

Apart from the fact that it also has an extremely nice design, it is the ace of Lance and Drake (Yūji), the two "champions" from the original anime/game.

Nice to see Bulbasaur there, I've seen it called "the forgotten Kanto starter" more than once but that's definitely not the case. Has it had some memes attached to it recently or what?

I believe that initially it was, but over time it became more popular than Squirtle and its evolutionary line, at least in Brazil. There aren't any memes surrounding the Pokemon that I can remember other than "bulba-assault", a forgotten meme that I never understood.

Personally this is something that happened to me, initially Bulbassaur was always my third choice. Today, not infrequently, it is my first, in addition to being one of my favorite Pokémon of all time. I don't know exactly why, but I think it is/was a general trend.

OBS: One of the possible reasons for the success of this Pokémon in Tupiniquim lands, I think, is that it is the only one of the original trio that had its name Brazilianized. I, as well as the Brazilian dub, call him "Bulbassauro".

OBS 2: I believe Bulbasaur preference over Squirtle and its evolutionary line, in Brazil, dates back a quite long time.

The generational gap is very evident, that could explain Mimikyu's absense...or maybe its popularity is fading out?

I think it's the generation gap, because I don't think Mimikyu was ever as popular in Brazil as it is worldwide.

But, to be honest, although I may be wrong, I don't think Mimikyu, in general, is popular enough to be able to rank in the top 10 of all Pokémon.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom