• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Top 3 BEST Pokemon games?

I'd have to put ORAS as my number 1; especially considering how much I still play it, and love the Dexnav features ect. especially when I'm bored and can chain a few Pokémon in stead of breeding ect. I also love soaring, slow creeping lol. The cut scenes and the general overworld was a massive improvement just from XY in general. There are many reasons why this is my number 1, can't think of them all though lol.

2. I'd have to say HGSS, I think I was more hyped for it than any other release, especially cause I was waiting for Johto remakes for a long time. Pokémon following me was great, made it more personal. It had such a homely feel to it as I mentioned before on another thread, not even just for nostalgic reasons, but the graphics and everything made me weirdly comfortable lol. I loved how much their was to do, I enjoyed the Pokéathlon (and the bottom screen in general) took full advantage of the touch screen. I loved the inclusion of more Legendary's in the post game. I would have probably put this as my number 1, if ORAS wasn't so detailed in aspects that Hoenn had lacked for a long time, especially the original Ruby & Sapphire. Going back to Kanto was an awesome plus, as much as it was expected due to being in the original. I could also play it many times through without getting bored. Someone had also mentioned before (on another thread) that Generation 4 in general had a very wholesome, complete feel to it, graphically and the overworld in general. I would also love for Pokémon to follow behind again some day in a future game, but I feel HGSS did it so much justice to the point where; if it was done again, there would be limitations because of the new 3D-rendered overworld.

3. Platinum. I remember not getting it until after I actually played HGSS. Purely because I was younger, didn't exactly have the funds of means to go out of my way and get it, and plus, I remember waiting for HGSS and being more excited for it. Anyway; like HGSS, it has massive potential beyond the main plot ect, the graphics crisp again, and the variety of post game things to do was impressive. I also loved the Battle frontier from back then, and I also love Piplup, Turtwig & Chimchar equally (I think it was the first game I struggled to make a decision on a starter) because all were potential powerhouses once fully evolved. I probably wouldn't even bother doing a run through of Diamond/Pearl again after playing Platinum, because DP are much slower games in general (surfing, battling), all slower than Platinum, and the third has an appeal that the original two don't.

1. BW+BW2 - I view them together as one story. Best plot and characters we had so far.
2. DPt, especially Platinum (Admittedly I only played Diamond but at least I watched a playthrough of Platinum)
3. HGSS

DPt and HGSS just seemed longer / more difficult than the GBA games and definitely more than the 3DS games that are getting way too easy and simplified. I'd say they had better story than the GBA ones too, although not as good as BW+BW2.
Gens 2 and 4 are also my fave Pokémon-wise. I also really loved the walking Pokémon feature.
For me the DS era is Pokémon at its best, although the GBA games are fine too. While the GB/GBC era will forever have its nostalgic charm. The 3DS era though doesn't have anything going for it aside from the graphics, at least for me personally.

1. Platinum; this game got me back into Pokémon and returned to fandom. I ended up stopping watching/playing Pokémon during the G/S days when it first appeared due to having my cable cut and still being fairly young (I still have Gold Version though). So I owe this game a lot for getting me back into the fandom and series.

2. B2W2; While I did enjoy playing through Black and White their sequels were more enjoyable to me with the diverse amount of Pokémon which could be found in the wild and the many new areas that we had access too plus seeing what happened to many of the previous character post-BW1 and seeing many old characters into the PWT in Unova.

3. HG/SS and X/Y. These two games I thoroughly enjoyed, despite X and Y to be fairly lacking upon the post-game side, I nevertheless enjoyed the environment and aesthetics of the game as well as the beautiful environment that they managed to create. HG/SS maybe for nostalgia purposes but I enjoyed my venture back into Johto this time with an more upgraded and update features.

I'd have to put ORAS as my number 1; especially considering how much I still play it, and love the Dexnav features ect. especially when I'm bored and can chain a few Pokémon in stead of breeding ect. I also love soaring, slow creeping lol. The cut scenes and the general overworld was a massive improvement just from XY in general. There are many reasons why this is my number 1, can't think of them all though lol.

2. I'd have to say HGSS, I think I was more hyped for it than any other release, especially cause I was waiting for Johto remakes for a long time. Pokémon following me was great, made it more personal. It had such a homely feel to it as I mentioned before on another thread, not even just for nostalgic reasons, but the graphics and everything made me weirdly comfortable lol. I loved how much their was to do, I enjoyed the Pokéathlon (and the bottom screen in general) took full advantage of the touch screen. I loved the inclusion of more Legendary's in the post game. I would have probably put this as my number 1, if ORAS wasn't so detailed in aspects that Hoenn had lacked for a long time, especially the original Ruby & Sapphire. Going back to Kanto was an awesome plus, as much as it was expected due to being in the original. I could also play it many times through without getting bored. Someone had also mentioned before (on another thread) that Generation 4 in general had a very wholesome, complete feel to it, graphically and the overworld in general. I would also love for Pokémon to follow behind again some day in a future game, but I feel HGSS did it so much justice to the point where; if it was done again, there would be limitations because of the new 3D-rendered overworld.

3. Platinum. I remember not getting it until after I actually played HGSS. Purely because I was younger, didn't exactly have the funds of means to go out of my way and get it, and plus, I remember waiting for HGSS and being more excited for it. Anyway; like HGSS, it has massive potential beyond the main plot ect, the graphics crisp again, and the variety of post game things to do was impressive. I also loved the Battle frontier from back then, and I also love Piplup, Turtwig & Chimchar equally (I think it was the first game I struggled to make a decision on a starter) because all were potential powerhouses once fully evolved. I probably wouldn't even bother doing a run through of Diamond/Pearl again after playing Platinum, because DP are much slower games in general (surfing, battling), all slower than Platinum, and the third has an appeal that the original two don't.

We think the same in slots 1 and 3, only that I put B2W2 like n2 instead of HGSS.

If you think of it, HGSS is, for its time, the perfect Pokemon game. So much to do, to explore, etc. A BF, 18 Gyms to rematch... And I, like you, LOVE the homely, peaceful, fresh start feeling that it gives to me, especially in the beginning of the story. I never seem to get bored of that first errand you run for Elm. It excites me every time! Maybe it has to do with the nostalgia, causethe original Silver was my 1st game!

But for some reason, while playing HGSS (on an Emulator though) when I reached Ruins of Alph... I kinda got that strange feeling of playing a game I have already played. Maybe it´s cause it isn´t very comfortable to play it on a PC like I did back then, or maybe it´s cause I played Silver so extensively, but I just felt as if I wasn´t playing a new game... It gave me no motivation to finish it...

And maybe that is what I love about ORAS, it felt new to me, it didn´t ever give me the feeling of replaying a past game. Maybe it´s the awesome graphics, maybe it´s the impressively renewed and extended storyline (the first time I have actually cared about the story in a Pokemon game), maybe it is cause Hoenn is my favourite region and Emerald my (former) favourite game, but just ORAS clearly became my new favourite game, replacing Emerald. It is definitely n1 for me.

As n2, I put B2W2 just because of the content, so much to do in that game. And the PWT is so cool. Generally, it´s the most conent- packed game and I also love thebridges and Castelia!

n3 is Platinum, mainly because Shinnoh is my second favorite region, and it also has a lot of content.

N2 and N3 are very close though. Because both are similarly very complete products and very cool intheir own way. Only ORAS stands out clearly as n1 in my ranking.

Last edited:
1. Black and white: such great plot.
2. Black and white 2 : so much things to do.
3. Mystery dungeon explores of sky : again great plot.

Last edited:
1. HeartGold/SoulSilver
2. X/Y
3. OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire

1: Pokemon Platinum. ♥ As I've stated in many threads before, Pokemon Platinum is my ultimate favorite game. Not only did it get me into Pokemon, but after playing throughout the other regions and such, I just found myself more in love with it. I love Sinnoh as a whole. The region is so big and vast, I love the sprites, I loved the gym leaders/elite four and the cities, the contests...everything. My absolute favorites of the region are the Pokemon (especially the legendaries. Giratina and Darkrai being my absolute favorites. When I saw Darkrai for the first time, I thought I was going to sob from the sheer beauty of it. I sobbed when I found out I couldn't get it in my game. Thank god for AR, though~) and, of course, THE PROFESSOR. ;D Oh my god I love Professor Rowan. He's the best professor, hands down. I have alot of bias to Sinnoh as well because it was Sinnoh and my character, Hazel, that expanded my love further for Pokemon by starting my massive story I have for the games and such. ♥

2: Black/White. Black and White were my second and third Pokemon games ever, got in the Christmas of 2012 alongside various other Pokemon goodies. I immediately began playing them after we opened everything and settled down from the hype and created Zane and Rose, Zane on Black and Rose on White, and began my adventure. Oh god, I played them nonstop. Unfortunately, the original files of Zane and Rose are long gone (as I wanted to replay them over again and switched Zane for Hazel), but I still remember all the fond memories. Aside from that, Black and White's plot was so deep and so unexpected to me. I fell in love with every character, gym leaders and friends and all, not to mention how beautiful the region was as well. Dragonspiral Tower remains my favorite place in that game for the sheer beauty of it. The seasons, the Pokemon...Great games they are, great games. o3o.

3: X/Y. X and Y stole my heart with the beautiful graphics and character customization, not to mention all the beautiful Pokemon that I quickly fell in love with. X was my main version at first as I played Cameron, my white-haired quiet guy, but ultimately switched to Y after I got done with X and played Hazel (yeah, Hazel's in every one of my games, lol) on Y. I unfortunately deleted my original X file to play a different character, but then I deleted that and now have Cameron back. Anyways, I loved the region as a whole and was greatly surprised at Team Flare's original plans. I immediately was reminisced by it because of how similar it was to Platinum and Team Galatic's goals. I smiled during that time. x3. I cried at the ending with AZ and said to myself that was a beautiful game. Like Platinum, I loved the music in the game and the locations, not to mention I gained two more favorite legendaries. (Yveltal and Xerneas). Y was the first game ever in all of the games I own that I ever completed the Living Dex. I plan to someday do the same for X. x3.

Sorry for the long post, didn't realize how passionate I was about the games, lol. xD. Notable mentions go to HG/SS though, as those were also were great games. And a little for OR/AS, because those games are good as well. ;3

For me it's:

1. ORAS - This is easily my favourite game due to the Dexnev. It really put the fun back into catching Pokemon. It was great to come across strong Pokemon with rare moves that could sweep my whole team with ease, then next time a much weaker version. It really helped to give the same type of Pokemon some individuality and uniqueness. I also really like that small visual touches like when you enter a route you can see some Wingull flying past (also having them on the beach and fly away when you approach is nice too).

2. HGSS - This is a pretty easy second for me as it was my top game before ORAS released. This is the last game I remember being challenged by. I loved from the start having your Pokemon follow you and being that it also had a journey through Kanto as post game, what's not to love. On my first playthrough I spent over 100 hours just completely Johto. Once I got to Kanto and finished there, it took me forever to be able to beat Red too.

3. B2W2 - Being that a sequel was the first in the series history made this game special as it is. I liked seeing how the region had changed over a short period and it made me wonder if any other regions could change so drastically. I also loved the Pokemon World Tournament, this is a feature that should be in every single game.

1. pokemon white/black: i loved the story and the pokedex
2. pokemon silver: it was my first game!
3. pokemon ORAS: it was the last game i got, even i didn't enjoy the story so much as in B/W, I loved the graphics

In terms of how good they were at the time of release:
1. Pokemon Crystal
2. Pokemon Emerald
3. Pokemon Black and White 2

Honorable mentions to ORAS, HGSS and PMD: Explorers of Sky

1. Platinum: major improvements over Diamond and Pearl, both in terms of in-game Dex and storyline. I'm a sucker for chaos and antimatter so the Distortion World and Giratina really made the game that much better for me. Plus Empoleon is pretty damn sweet!

2. Black/White: best storyline of all Pokemon games, hands down. Original Team Plasma, though they looked ridiculously goofy, we're not at all the typical villainous team. N is a fantastic character. Downsides: until the 7th gym, the gameplay is kinda boring. My first playthrough I stopped before beating the 7th gym because I got bored. Things really pick up after that and the final battles are awesome.

3. GSC/HGSS: only games, to date, where you can visit multiple regions and get more than 8 badges. Plus the final battle with Red is amazing. 'Nuff said!

1. HGSS: It has most of my favourite characters and Pokémon and my favourite features (following Pokémon and Pokéathlon) and I just really like the Johto region.
2. DPPt: Diamond was my first Pokémon game and I've played it loads of times, it has my favourite PC's, rival, professor and evil team and a lot of my favourite Pokémon.
3. BW: Mostly cause it only had new Pokémon (a lot of great designs too), which I wish every Pokémon game would do.

For me

1.- B2W2- I was tempted to put BW in first place because the story is just sooo good. But I didn't because the features in B2w2 kind of trumps that. We have PWT, battling facilities, move tutors, decend amount of post-game content, shinies, a very diverse regional dex, etc. etc. Even if the story was a step down from BW it was still better than what we got in other gens.

2.- HGSS- same as above it really has a lot of things to do. The level curve doesn't bother me. The walking pokemon is my favorite feature so far.

3.- ORAS- despite the lack of post-game content (Delta episode is kinda meh) it still has many good features like soaring, DexNav, kept Amie and Super Training from XY, massive amount of legendaries, starters, etc. etc.

1. HG/SS: Best remakes to date
2. ORAS: Lived up to the hype and long awaited gen 3 remakes
3. XY: Finally introduced trainer customization and Megas!

1. Pokémon Platinum Version
2. Pokémon SoulSilver Version
3. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom