• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Torterra - Linked to the Zaratan?

Outcast

Perfect Nonsense
Reaction score
I think that Toterra is somehow linked to Zaratan.

Zaratan is a mythical creature that is a very large turtle that has an island and whole ecosystem on it's back, and it appears just to be a landmass to anything passing, when it is in it's shell or partially under water.

Picture:

Zaratan.jpg

Thoughts?

You might be onto something, maybe the Lion-Turtle from Avatar is also.

Except that the 'origin of species' thinks torterra is based on the 'turtles all the way down' paradox.

Yep, I'm going to have to agree - it's just the World Turtle legend that resulted in Torterra.

Hell, even the name matches - "terra" = "Earth".

A lot of Pokemon get their inspiration from myths and legends. Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza have roots in Jewish mythology, for example.

Interesting. Do you know where this myth/legend is from? I'm curious about this because it's the origin of my name! I walk the walking island turtle.

Oh... Didn't see the thing about the world turtle... Oops!

Here's a pic of the World Turtle:

turtleworld-789286.jpg

The World Turtle myth is from the Mohawk Native American tribe, not so sure about the Zaratan though.

i got two theories,

1: maybe zaratan and world turtle the same? people might have thought it becuz turtles have flat backs, i mean put some ants, some water and two little plants and we have a zaratan/torterra! same thing

2: that mean that space is water and there are many world turtles in the universe with 8 in our solar system. I wont count sun as one through!

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom