• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Toughest Gym Leader (or battle) in Gen VI?

KarlG

Reaction score
You know how everyone complains about Whitney in Johto, and Lenora in Unova?

Who's your toughest Gym Leader, or for discussion's sake, battle, in the Kalos region so far?

Of course, these Gym Leaders are really a walk in the park this time around, but I gotta say Grant gave me a hard (relatively-speaking) time. I wanted to specialize in fire so challenging him with Fletchhinder, Braixen and an unevolved-Torchic was a mistake. Then I evolved my Torchic and then the rest was history.

What about you guys?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Toughest Gym Leader (or battle) this Gen?

For me it was actually Valerie since I didn't really have much to counter Fairy types, except Poison Jab on my Hawlucha, though Hawlucha is weak against Fairy type moves. Dazzling Gleam actually did quite a bit of damage to me.

Same as MonkeyBoy - Valerie. I ended up depending on Vaporeon and Talonflame because the rest of my team was at least part dark, even with poison jab on pangoro.

I only have 5 badges but so far my hardest battle was not a gym leader, it was a battle girl in reflection cave. I am sure a lot of people know the one I mean, her first pokemon was easy (I forget what it was) but then she sends her hawlucha and it is so much harder that you are left thinking what just happened.

Tough? Nope. In my opinion none of the gym leaders was a challenge, not even Elite four and Dianta. Even tough my team wasn't that great (I just picked 'em, didn't look at IVs or anything). To say the least I fought with two pokés non fully evolved (braixen and doublade) and beat the game at full speed.

Korrina and the girl in Reflection Cave. I cannot stand Hawlucha! DX These things steamroll through my entire team, every time.

I didn't actually lose either battle, but I came to one Pokemon away from it both times.

The only leader or trainer for that matter who gave me a hard time so far was Grant. I lost the first time I challenged him until I decided to withdraw my Azumarrill. The only move that was a problem for it was Rock Tomb (which both Amaura and Tyrunt have) but it took a while to wear it down. Amaura didn't make such a big dent on its HP and when Tyrunt started getting at it I just gave it a Super Potion.

I'll have to replay the game with Exp Share off and get back to this thread. To say who was the toughest gym leader is a bit difficult when you are over-leveled the entire game. Though if I had to choose from my original play through, it would have to be Viola since she was the only one my entire team didn't outlevel by 10.

Valerie was the hardest. I have 3 Dark types in my team and Mega Charizard X. That's up to four Pokémon weak to Fairy type moves. Sylveon and Dazzling Gleam wiped out 5 of my Pokémon...

For me it was Grant... at that point I was training about 8 pokémon together and they were quite underleveled, then I found out how the Exp. Sharing actually works and came back to smash the heck out of him!

These GLs can be easy or difficult depending on your pokemon team when you battle them.

Olympia was my hardest opponent. I foolishly decided not to use a Dark-type pokemon in our first battle. I believed that since two of her Pokemon are weak to Electrics, that I could win without Dark-types. But I underestimated her Meowstic. For the final stage of a two-stage evolutionary line, Meowstic has some decent bulk in addition to its above-average Special Attack and Speed stats. Plus that Meowstic had access to Calm Mind and some powerful coverage moves (i.e. Shadow Ball). I got wiped out by that Meowstic, alone.

When I battled her again, I put my Greninja at the front of the team, and let's just say that I didn't need any other pokemon to stop her.

But generally speaking, Valerie is the most difficult gym leader because of her Sylveon; it can withstand most special attacks, and in addition to a Dragon immunity it resists three common pokemon types that trainers use (Fairy is even super effective against two of the starters). There aren't too many physical Poison/Steel types in the game by the time you get to Laverre City, and many of them are either too weak (in terms of BST) or rather difficult to find (i.e. Seviper).

Unless trainers have a Doublade/Aegislash, Ferrothorn, Lucario, or something similar on their teams, I can't see how anyone can defeat Valerie with ease. Of course, I had none of these pokemon on me when I fought Valerie.

Her Mr. Mime and Mawile are relatively easy to stop. Powerful Ghost and Ground-type pokemon are obtainable by this point (Golett/Golurk, Haunter/Gengar, Doublade/Aegislash, Dugtrio, Vibrava, Gible/Gabite, etc.)

In addition, the level jump from Clemont to Valerie is high considering you only battle a rival, trainers on Route 14, and the trainers at Valerie's gym.

Last edited:

I had trouble with the guy who uses the Roggenrola in Grant's gym and the Champion (can't remember her name)

The Gym Leader I had the most trouble with was Clemont, for some reason the electric Pokemon just devastated my team. I have now reworked my team because of it. It took me two tries to beat him, and the second time it was down to 1v1.

Clemont, if only because I forgot to save and heal before the match, and I only wanted to use three Pokemon. And even then, Charizard just torched his team.

Second-toughest would be Grant, because his Amaura having Thunder Wave messed my Pancham up. I applaud him over Clemont since his difficulty was because of his skill, rather than blindsiding me when I wasn't ready.

None of the gym leaders stood out. Expanding to the Elite 4, Siebold managed to get a couple Dragon Dances on me, but other than that he was dispatched fairly quickly.

The gym leaders in this region did not stand out in personality, nor did they stand out in battle prowess.

...and the girl in Reflection Cave. I cannot stand Hawlucha!
That wasn't just any Hawlucha, but a Hawlucha with a combination of Rock Tomb (reduces Speed), Karate Chop (high critical hit rate), and Aerial Ace (never misses) on a Pokemon that's fully evolved. I came literally one turn away from outright defeat (Braixen landed a Psychic attack for the win, but had to be revived and survive one Rock Tomb to do that) against that, and no other NPC trainer has come anywhere close to that.

As for toughest Gym battle . . . that's a hard call because I actually prepared pretty well for each Gym, but I'd say the most exciting one was against Clemont. Lacking suitable Ground types to block his element with, I decided to make it Electric vs. Electric (for the immunity to Paralysis) and brought in Jolteon and Lanturn, both of them with Volt Absorb and Jolteon packing Dig (my sole Ground attack).

Last edited:

The Quagsire NPCs sometimes have in the battle institute gives me problems. Between Amnesia and Curse, I can hardly make a dent on it, especially since it's holding leftovers.

If I had to choose, I would say Grant, but none of the gym leaders were difficult this time around. Siebold's Gyarados gave me some trouble in my last playthrough.

Siebold was the only battle that gave me any trouble. First time I took on the Elite 4 I went after him with two Pokemon and one paralyzed (I hadn't purchased any revives beforehand, like an idiot. Oops.) and actually lost. He was easy the second time around, too, though, this game wasn't much in terms of difficulty (though I don't really mind that so much with all the online features).

The gyms weren't that hard, and I had almost no problems when battling them. Somehow, I almost lost to a random NPC with a Sawk in Reflection Cave. For some unknown reason, my attacks weren't doing anything, and it was able to outspeed all my Pokemon.

Malva was also kind of tough for me the first time challenging the league. Her Talonflame was three levels higher than my strongest Pokemon and kept using Brave Bird and doing a ton of damage to all my Pokemon. It eventually killed itself.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom